The extremely delicate subject of Romance Options in Pokemon Reborn

ShadeStrider

30 minutes ago, arcticGalaxies said:

Just becasue aya and hardy have a thing doesnt mean you cant be in on that thing ;3c

arc's cool I guess, and ame herself said that victoria is one of the straighter gals in the game, so maybe shed be male only

tbf  i dont think most people would mind dating cain 😛

I don't think getting in on Aya's thing would work. If she got jealous when Cain was joking about Hardy then she may have a worse reaction if the MC legitimately wanted Hardy. Hardy would be hard to gauge though. The thing about Cain is that he's 15 and the MC is said to be between 18-early 20's. Age is why a lot of characters were shelved as not available. If you want to find out ages of the characters then Ame's tumblr has a rough estimation of this.

Honestly most of the named characters are either underage, evil, committed, likely not interested in, not comfortable with, or insert any other reason to not pursue a relationship that people have. 

If, and that is a BIG IF, Reborn was to have romance options I'd rather it be with a side character. Like how the Persona games have side character romance options like Sadayo Kawakami from Persona 5. 

• Global Mods

Umm i don't think Florinia should be considered as an option she's emotionless and we might've seen an emotionfull side of her in episode 15 but i think that's betrayal so yeah florinia probably will not fall in love again (I WANT HER OLD PERSONALITY)

1 hour ago, dragonsbeat said:

Umm i don't think Florinia should be considered as an option she's emotionless and we might've seen an emotionfull side of her in episode 15 but i think that's betrayal so yeah florinia probably will not fall in love again (I WANT HER OLD PERSONALITY)

I don't think Florinia is emotionless per se but she suppress some of her emotions and keeps herself from expressing it. But fairs if you feel that Florinia being an option isn't right.

15 minutes ago, dragonsbeat said:

I've been waiting for that since EP 9

Yes, we all have haha, I guess it could remain a Noodle Incident, but I think not, if Ame wants her to have her arc as Amaria and Titania had it... And I think She and Julia deserve it as well as the other two!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

what about a gardevoir for dating potential e.e .... just asking out of curiosity e.e,

EDIT: I know reborn is about sad things and negativity but in the end, we all made different choices based upon our own judgment, likes and dislikes we choose the character(i would like that we could change hairstyle colors at the hairdresser but its fine) and the name, did or did you not immerse yourself with the character? some people hated taka personality and his choices for example.

Should any of this ever happen? Probably not because as Cass alluded to, the pain these characters have felt is a big part of who they are portrayed as and it wouldn't make for a super alright dating sim at the end without compromising the plot or at the very least raising questions that don't need to be raised.

---

For the hell of it though, let's assume Vero, Alice, Kuro, Lucia, Ari, Decibel, or whoever the hell you are, MAKE EVERYONES HURT GO AWAY.

...the next thing that would have to be addressed is the player's age. The characters in Reborn have various ages, so picking any age as your own in a future update would lock you out of certain characters' routes regardless of which age you actually pick. That's not fun - but - so it goes. Without the age being toggleable at all, you get stuck in a weird place where you can make creepy old guy glances at Heather, or Sigmund makes creepy old guy glances at you.

---

All that aside, here's who I'd consider trying to unlock dialogue with.

- Florinia. I don't think it's too unreasonable to pick Florinia against the rest of the cast, and working to bypass her emotion shields seems super cheesy and cliché and that's the start of a good dating sim route.

- Cal. Best character in the game.

- the Ringmaster. BACK OFF LOSTY STOP HAVING THE SAME TASTES I DO. YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST RANDOMLY SHOW UP AND MAKE ME LAUGH LIKE OLD TIMES.

- The 7th Street Doxy Move Tutor. YEAH I MEANT WHAT I SAID ABOVE.

- Randall. Also the best character in the game.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't Fern mentioned at all? Yeah, he is a grasshole. The grasshole we all know and love. Don't you think that his -attempts- to be cool and all are kinda cute? Or is it just me being strange (and maybe somewhat sadistic)?

btw i always wanted to draw an art where Alice is on her knees and Fern blushes 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alisekoroleva said:

Wasn't Fern mentioned at all? Yeah, he is a grasshole. The grasshole we all know and love. Don't you think that his -attempts- to be cool and all are kinda cute? Or is it just me being strange (and maybe somewhat sadistic)?

The only potentially negative with Fern in regards to being a romance option - at least surface level as a character that is considered a rival to the player - is his age relative to the player's.

The Onyx Trainer's School seems to actually be much like your typical main series Trainer's School in that the age-range can include the protagonist (there's a female Ace Trainer hanging out on the third floor of the school who seems to be a student as opposed to a teacher, faculty member, or janitor), so the only thing we really know about Fern is that he's younger than Florinia, The OTS Quartet (Julia, Rini, Tania, and Amy) are seemingly just a couple years removed from graduation even though Florinia is the headmistress of the school. Fern also seems to be a student.

One thing we can gather is that there is seemingly....ZERO little children in this region that are actually represented by a trainer class and can actually have Pokémon. (i.e. your Picnickers, Campers, Tubers, Pre-schoolers, Fairy Girls, etc.) - and the youngest trainer class represented - the Youngster - even seems to be slightly aged up due to the subject matter of discourse with Youngsters extending into potentially being involved in gang activity. (For instance, a Youngster is serving as a solo "lookout" for the Hotshot and Street Rat that bully Pachirisu/Zigzagoon at the start of the game.)

From all this information, we can gather that Fern is a student in a "high school setting". You can further validate this with the Sweet Heart event that gives you the Incinium-Z after the city is restored, as well as spooking the Youngster who is rehearsing a scenario in which he would confess how he feels to someone - in order to access the third floor. "Young Love" is kind of a brazenly recurring sideshow at the OTS.

---

The player characters only have "unofficial names" that fans of the game can use to refer to them at this point, as even their gender is determined by the player these days. Therefore, it's safe to assume all the protagonists can be the same age. Taking Reborn's subject matter into account, as well as how directly involved the protagonist must be in order to progress through the story (I.e. joining a gang), as well as how characters address the protagonist. (Characters like Samson or Corin-Rouge may flirt with those who identify as female, and Cain will ALWAYS address you with faux adoration in a more than friendly manner.)....

... we can guesstimate that the player character is aged around 18, or would BARELY be old enough to attend high school within an average age limit.

This is good for FernXProtag-shippers, because if both Fern AND the player can attend OTS, then the age gap probably is more narrow than it might have been.

---

I'd say Fern is actually not an awful man-crush in this game. You could easily see his self-glorification, and trashing the player as some sort of form of "if they treat you like garbage, they'll like you" approach, but it seems unhealthy given that it goes so far as to joining a terrorist organization, getting his sister involved in a real breaking point between the two siblings, and turning him into the most oppositional rival since Silver.

On 6/30/2018 at 9:07 AM, Abyssreaper99 said:

Aya and Hardy have kinda already got a thing going so they wouldn't be options. Here's people that would most likely be excluded from the dating thing:

• Hardy and Aya
  • I think Ciel, Terra and Samson are either FWB or in an open relationship so probs wouldn't count.
  • Cain
  • The orphanage kids, Shelly and Heather
  • Serra
  • Radomus
  • Shade
  • Sirius
  • Solaris
  • Lin
  • I think Amaria and Titania would be path dependent. But I wouldn't feel right in having that option
  • Bennett (Too obsessed with Luna)
  • Unsure about Luna's age so putting her on here to be safe
  • Sigmund
  • El

So that leaves us with:

• Taka
  • Zero
  • Julia
  • Florinia
  • Victoria
  • Adrienn
  • Arc

Wow, not that many options tbf.

If I remember correctly, Victoria has a crush on Cal, so you can exclude her aswell.

btw I think romance would be rly weird for the protagonist, we barely even talk and it will feel rly one-sided

20 hours ago, Sheik said:

If I remember correctly, Victoria has a crush on Cal, so you can exclude her aswell.

btw I think romance would be rly weird for the protagonist, we barely even talk and it will feel rly one-sided

Yeah but events at Pyrous destroyed that pretty quick...

Guest Relinquished
On 7/11/2018 at 5:38 AM, andracass said:

yeah this seems like maybe not the best idea.

i mean, i get it, but reborn is kind of covered in trauma.

Trauma + Romance = Best Drama in the world.

It could work... No, actually, it could work wonders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, alisekoroleva said:

Omg there’s ANOTHER FERN FAN \o/ I think he’s so adorable lmao (but mainly because he’s a character and not a person I know irl)

Edited by lilyawaka

19 hours ago, lilyawaka said:

Omg there’s ANOTHER FERN FAN \o/ I think he’s so adorable lmao (but mainly because he’s a character and not a person I know irl)

Yay! I'm not alone!

btw, there's another reason why I want Fern to be a romance option. He's all like: "I'm a cool cat I'm a top dog" and then, suddenly he falls in love. Isn't that just PRETTY? As for me, such bad rude boiz should be put in their places. By love ❤️

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2019 at 6:18 PM, alisekoroleva said:

Yay! I'm not alone!

btw, there's another reason why I want Fern to be a romance option. He's all like: "I'm a cool cat I'm a top dog" and then, suddenly he falls in love. Isn't that just PRETTY? As for me, such bad rude boiz should be put in their places. By love ❤️

LOL. Mostly I just want a Fern redemption arc, Fern is so insecure lmao he needs to learn to "love urself"-BTS