My Rejuvenation Team

DexHolderTeal

I decided to give Rejuvenation a shot and I'm really enjoying it so far. Not too far in (only 1 gym badge) but the storyline is amazing and keeps me wanting to play. Figured I'd share my team and see what ya'll think and if you have any suggestions for future members.

Spoiler

2u72hj6.png

4 minutes ago, ArcherEric said:

dont and i repeat

dont use talonflame

its early movepool is horrendous while it cannot hit hard at all

use a pyroar if u have to

I was on the fence about Talonflame, it was just team filler for now until something better came along. Do you know where I can find a Litleo?

56 minutes ago, DexHolderTeal said:

I was on the fence about Talonflame, it was just team filler for now until something better came along. Do you know where I can find a Litleo?

There's a quest in the help center in Gearan city named "Dangerous Pokemon."  Litleo is a reward for completing it

Dedenne is okay but once you get further, switch it with Pichu for more offensive power. Since you are now in Route 2 and on your way to Amethyst Cave I presume, catch a Meditite. A good fighting type mon that is a great addition to your team.

Building on some of the above, make sure your pichu hangs around in that stage long enough to learn Nasty Plot once/if you get it. Sure, both raichu are frail enough that you aren't always going to get a chance to set it up, but when you do get the chance it will be absolutely amazing!

As for which way to evolve it, Alola!chu is available much earlier (the Apophyll Pancakes are for sale in Route 3) and comes packing an extra STAB at its disposal (and learns Psychic upon evolution to make use of it!), as well as having a little bit more firepower in terms of base stats. On the other hand, adding the Psychic Type's weaknesses gives it a few more vulnerabilities (the Bug Gym's especially nasty), those 5 base points in Sp. Attack come at the cost of 5 points in Defense (which can make setting up Nasty Plot even trickier), and unless you're building specifically for it, the Surge Surfer Ability is only going to be relevant in one fight.

Kantonian raichu, on the other hand, doesn't come online until you get the Mining Kit after the fourth Gym, but that probably won't be such as big a deal to you if you choose to go that route: if anything, it gives you more of an incentive to carry pikachu up to Lv. 42 to learn Thunderbolt by level up (it'll be a while before you can teach it through other means, I believe). Having only one weakness and slightly higher Defense means that you can have a few more set up opportunities as well, and a single Nasty Plot can make up for the lack of Psychic STAB in most situations (do not that you're still unlikely to survive any oncoming Earthquakes). The big thing to take the slower path for, however, is the Abilities; or, rather, Ability. Sure, Static is likely to be relevant more often than Surge Surfer, but Lightningrod really goes that extra mile. Free immunity to Electric attacks? Protect your buddies from those Electric attacks? Get a free Sp. Attack increase every time you divert an Electric Attack?! This Ability alone is worth checking Kantonian Raichu out, I'd say.

Both forms have their uses, so I'd say that you're probably want to consider the rest of your team before deciding. Besides, you have that dedenne to take up your Electric slot in the meantime!

For the love of everything holy, make sure the meditite you catch has Pure Power as its Ability! If you're really worried about having your other pokemon hit it with an area attack, just make sure it keeps Detect in its moveset. That move alone has saved my bacon on several occasions even outside of Doubles, so there's absolutely no reason to gimp its offensive potential. This is assuming you actually catch one, of course.

The following is a review of every relevant Poison Type available at your point in the game:

Spoiler

Rejuvenation is actually extremely nice to Poison enthusiasts, so you have a large number of viable options for that slot. Garbodor makes for a very solid defensive Toxic Spikes setter with just enough Speed to outpace a fair number of threats (and potentially trigger Stench in the process)- it's certainly better than quilphish (which is also available)

If you're really against the thought of using something that is literally a pile of worm-ridden trash, you can opt to catch a skrelp instead (they're in the sewers once you pick up the Old Rod). Dragalge is bulky enough to set up Toxic Spikes fairly reliably, and packs Toxic naturally to boot, on top of eventually getting the pile of resistances Dragon gives its members and Adaptability to keep it from being completely ineffectual in terms of offense.

If you really want to go all-in on offense, but don't want to lose out on Toxic Spikes (and don't care about your sanity), budew has a low spawn rate in East Gearen (morning hours only). That gives you a speedy Special attacker with a fair bit of bulk on that side and solid self-healing in the form of STAB-boosted Giga Drain. It's also the only pokemon on this list capable of learning Nature Power, meaning that it will always be able to take advantage of whatever terrain it's in, and fairly well- most of the attacks Nature Power can turn into are Special, after all! And because you're getting it as a budew specifically, you even get 3 31 IVs on it for your trouble (hopefully you get a combination of HP/Sp. Attack/Sp. Defense/;Speed). The only real problem is that you don't get Poison STAB for a long while, but you can probably get along with just Toxic Spikes, Giga Drain, and Nature Power just fine for most of the game anyway, especially with Natural Cure as its Ability. It does step on your grovyle's pointy toes a little, however, so think carefully on that one.

If you don't actually care abut Toxic Spikes at all, the Alolan grimer you snagged from Zetta (and continue to snag infinitely, thanks to Dr. Jenkel's anti-privacy memory recreation machine) is a potent choice. 105/75/100 bulk, 4 resistances, an immunity to Psychic, and a sole weakness to Ground means that it is extremely unlikely to die in one hit in any given battle. Back this up by a very respectable 105 base Attack, plus native access to STAB Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, and Crunch to make use of it, and you have a beast that will be relevant in some way in the vast majority of battles throughout the game! Sure, the one you catch has a measly 10 IV's in every stat, but it really doesn't need any more than that to make its mark in the world (trust me on that one). If you really don't feel comfortable with that, you can always breed for one with a higher IV spread- I personally recommend catching a slugma in the next area to serve as the father, since it can pass down Clear Smog (which is an amazing support move that completely clears out enemy stat increases while leaving your own intact). Ability-wise, the only truly bad one is Gluttony- even when it comes into play, it can be pretty cost inefficient. Poison Touch is the most all-around useful option, adding a 30% Poison chance to your contact moves in case the target survives (and yes, it stacks with Poison Jab's natural chance!). Alchemy is the weird one, since it's completely useless in single battles. Rejuvenation has enough Double Battles for it to put in some work with the right teammates, however- having a higher base Attack stat means it can make even better use of medicham's Pure Power that its original bearer, snagging Moxie off of something can go a really long way, a certain partner NPC has a pokemon with Speed Boost... when given the opportunity, the possibilities are nearly endless with this one! Alolan muk's got some serious value for is buck.

If you want to take a purely offensive take on you Toxic Spike-less Poison Type, there's a salandit coming up in the next area. The lady's got some blistering base Speed and solid Special Attack, as well as 21 IVs in all of its stats and enough EVs to start with that you she'll likely be on par with the rest of your team in that regard to hold her own (though it does mean that you're gonna have to use a good number of stat reducing berries once you get access to them to truly maximize her potential). Oblivious is the better Ability here, granting you immunity to Attract (on the off-chance that it's relevant), but more importantly, Taunt- this absolutely cheeses the crap out of the AI in some fights, allowing you to set up Nasty Plot freely and annihilate everything that comes after! I wouldn't recommend trying to breed for a better one, though- this is the only salandit in the entire game capable of learning Water Pulse, which keeps her from being just another pretty face in the event that you're stuck facing a Poison-resistant or -immune foe in the rain (believe me, this happens a lot more often than you would expect). Do remember that only female salandit can evolve when catching it- hence my specific use of female pronouns throughout most of this entry. Also, salazzle's even frailer than raichu, so you really have to be careful with her when trying to set up Nasty Plot!
The nidoran (available in East Gearen in morning hours only, but at much higher rates than budew) can function like a cross between the above two entries, wielding salazzle's potential for Special destruction combined with a solid enough amount of bulk to take a hit or two, similar to muk, when properly optimized. I'd recommend waiting a bit if you plan on using them, however- they don't get their best Sheer Force-able moves for a long while, and nidorina are available in the wild later on anyway (which is notable because they come with three IVs at 31, similar to the baby pokemon- no, nidorino do not share this trait). This especially notable because they aren't time-locked there, come online after the Water, Bug, and Ice Gyms (where they wouldn't be very useful at all), and right before the Fire and Electric Gyms (where nidoqueen's natural access to Earth Power really shines). Sadly, the Life Orb is not yet available to truly wreck hack with, but ~175 BP pre-item BP Earth Power ain't nothin' to sneeze at in the meantime!

Honestly, with a game like Rejuvenation, you're better off running Midday lycanroc rather than Midnight. Midnight simply doesn't gain enough bulk to take hits from most of the pair's threats, meaning that being able to strike first is more ideal in most scenarios. Dusk lycanroc would be the ideal, of course, but it isn't available in the game at all yet, so we gotta make do. it sucks, but those are the breaks you gotta make sometimes. (Alas, poor werewolf pupper, you were my favorite too)

I'd reccomend picking up a Ghost Type at some point, most likely the next town- Curse and Destiny bond both go a long ways toward beating the single-foe bosses, after all. Duskull gives you a bulky pokemon that will be able to do some damage of its own once you have access to Strength, and misdreavus nets you a solid special sweeper (though one that'll likely get replaced once the ghatly and litwik sidequests open up). Shuppet gets special mention since the Banettite is one of the only two Mega Stones that are currently available, and pumpkaboo's Z-Trick-or-Treat shenanigans are pretty hilarious in my opinion, but... the Mega Z-Ring itself isn't available in the main game yet, so those points are kinda moot at the moment. 

Lastly, it is highly recommended that you catch a female phantump, even if you don't plan on using her. There's a kid on Route 3 who will trade you a mysterious Egg for a phantump one, and that thing has some pretty nice critters it can potentially hatch into. Mareenie is practically the queen of Toxic Spikers, chinchou is a decent enough tank that will always come with an HP-restoring immunity Ability (either Water or Volt Absorb), togepi becomes a solid Fairy/Flying Type notable for Serene Grace+Air Slash Flinch shenanigans, azurill gets you a Water/Fairy Type with Huge Power-boosted Play Rough at its disposal, aron is a solid (haha) physical tank, so long as you avoid having it take Earthquakes and Brick Breaks, trapinch is much more viable now that flygon can learn Dragon Dance, drilbur... is drilbur (I hear the thing's a beast, but I've never used it before, so...), cottonee is a solid support pokemon if you can get it with the Prankster Ability (Tailwind and Priority Nature Power are both very solid factors), zorua nets you a decent Special sweeper than can absolutely boggle the AI with the right pokemon it your last team slot (having it be something that's weak to Psychic is especially nasty), Defiant pawniard can make the enemy's attempts to weaken you turn you into an offensive powerhouse instead, and stufful... I'm not gonna comment on that one... 😰

Do keep in mind that whatever the Egg hatches into is randomly determined when you choose your starter, so you won't know whether you got something amazing or a darumaka until you do the trade. It's a bit of a gamble, no?

Aaand, there goes my morning. Hopefully this tirade is helpful for ya, and good luck on your adventures in the Aevium Region~!

• Veterans
9 hours ago, ArcherEric said:

dont and i repeat

dont use talonflame

its early movepool is horrendous while it cannot hit hard at all

use a pyroar if u have to

Early game Talonflame may suck but I and many others can say for sure that Talonflame is absolutely amazing when used right. Between Priority Tailwind, strong stab moves to makeup for low attack and work up+roost among other options, it's an amazing team support/glue. It takes a while to get to that point, but it's worth it imo.

49 minutes ago, LemonJones said:

Ooo boy... You're seriously missing out if you're being serious.

I'm being cheeky but yeah...I stopped playing half way through because i couldn't take the story anymore lol.

It's definitely one of the most polished and professional fan games out...but the characters and the story? Not my taste

• 1 month later...

I feel dayRoc is better in Rejuv if mainly due to accelerock(big help against amber) and being faster but Lycanroc is hella good in this game. Saved my butt several times. I haven't used nightRoc at all but I can vouch for dayroc being useful if frail. 

I found talonflame a lot better once he got acrobatics(which takes way too long) but yeaaaah he's going to be dead weight for a while. Last time I used him was Crawli where he was good but I haven't touched him since. Might retire him.

Hang on to dedenne until you can get togedamaru. Togedamaru is awesome. sturdy, nuzzle, and the ability to alter terrain with electric terrain, which dedenne can do too but togedamru has a better chance of survival.  Both these guys can serve you well though and longer than you'd think.  Pretty underrated pokemon.

You should definitely add 3 more members to your team though.

Samurott, Noivern, Houndoom, Mawile, Raichu, andCherub was my core team but I'm going to suggest you start training up more then just six pokemon early on and keep them all near cap cause you will need other pokemon for the challenges coming up.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm being cheeky but yeah...I stopped playing half way through because i couldn't take the story anymore lol.

It's definitely one of the most polished and professional fan games out...but the characters and the story? Not my taste

Like I felt this way about earlier versions regarding characters especially due to the absolutely brotastic dialogue and some admittedly poorly written ones(Ren and Crescent) though the gameplay was good enough to keep me playing. I found the rewritten script helped a LOT though in making the game's tone and overall narrative better, though truthfully some characters are still insufferable(looks at Ren again). My main issue is that sometimes it feels the characters are introduced too rapidly? like there's all these names to remember and they get thrown at you one after another, at times it feels like there's too many characters. The melia/maria/marianette thing is confusing at first too. But the game has improved drastically as an overall experience IMO, plus the story gets more interesting as it goes along.  

That said Rejuv, like Reborn really does its own thing when in comes to its tone and story so I can get not liking its flavor.

However, I must question something: how come characters say stuff like Jesus Christ? I get that's what people say IRL, but in the context of the pokemon world it seems weird because it's like,  Jesus existed in Rejuv's world? There's Christianity?  Reborn does the same thing and it kills immersion a bit when it happens. even when its funny.

34 minutes ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

However, I must question something: how come characters say stuff like Jesus Christ? I get that's what people say IRL, but in the context of the pokemon world it seems weird because it's like,  Jesus existed in Rejuv's world? There's Christianity?  Reborn does the same thing and it kills immersion a bit when it happens. even when its funny.

I mean...there's been stuff like that going all the way back to the beginning of Pokemon. In the anime you had religious symbols used (like Misty holding up a Crucifix at Gastly, the appearance of Santa Claus, etc.) that pretty clearly confirms that some form of Christianity was meant to exist in Pokemon. Which makes sense as Pokemon was originally meant to be our own world, but with this small area where you could find Pokemon.

I'd say just accept that its Once and Future King style references. They aren't actually saying "Jesus Christ", but rather some equivalent figure who none of us would know since we don't know the context and history.

18 minutes ago, wcv said:

I mean...there's been stuff like that going all the way back to the beginning of Pokemon. In the anime you had religious symbols used (like Misty holding up a Crucifix at Gastly, the appearance of Santa Claus, etc.) that pretty clearly confirms that some form of Christianity was meant to exist in Pokemon. Which makes sense as Pokemon was originally meant to be our own world, but with this small area where you could find Pokemon.

I'd say just accept that its Once and Future King style references. They aren't actually saying "Jesus Christ", but rather some equivalent figure who none of us would know since we don't know the context and history.

To be fair that was the anime, which differs in continuity somewhat compared to the games.  In the games stuff like that never occurred, closest real world references are countries and animals. Never particular historical figures though. But I suppose your take would make sense.