FEF: The Lost Lands [IC Thread]

Twinwolf

PVzErY9.png

"I don't believe abandoning the mission is necessarily the correct course of action, we still have a duty to uphold... but at the same time, I believe if there are people in danger, it's our duty to save them, and we must-... well, it's not my place to decide what we do, I'm still new to the army. Forgive me if I spoke out of line; it's your choice in the end, Commander."

Edited by RedMageCole

Winston1.png

"As much as I want to warn the capital, even Tsidin would probably be too slow to make it in time. And we can't abandon a mission from the crown in any case." He pauses. "There will be ships in Aica, and Pax is not known for it's naval prowess. We may be able to enter the town and find our target, and then go from here to the capital on one of the ships in the harbor."

The battle over, Lysander let out a deep sigh. No casualties on their side. It had been a bit closer than anyone would have liked for one of them, but still.

CK8y4kO.png

"I have to agree. We likely cannot abandon the mission now. But our mission is not to fight an army, either. In fact, it would be better if we could attain our objective without any further fighting, though we might not be that lucky."

RGtAQNI.png

"Well, if we have a mission that we have to try to stick to, then we might have to give seeing if we can press on without any further fighting a shot. Perhaps we can work with diplomacy or stealth... though I suppose that's wishful thinking on my part. If we need to fight, then I suppose if we have no choice, we must."

There's a roar of indignation and the brief flap of wings, as a familiar wyvern lands. The beast seems to stare at the commander rather pointedly, though his rider pays no mind to the comment on their speed. Why would they run away when it was just getting interesting anyway, subject themselves to yet more boredom after that dreadful walk? Besides, the captain was probably right (even if Kayut didn't want to accept he wasn't quite as fast as he once was.).

6xbrFY9.png

"Bald man send one of his lackeys towards town, we see him run from air." The rider turned to Winston "Let us scout forward, yes? Get numbers, distance? They know we coming already. No point playing at stealth now, going to be rough fight one way or 'nother."

bu6clZI.png

"Stealth might admittedly be difficult. No doubt they're already preparing for us as we speak." Lysander notes with a thoughtfum hum. "On the other hand, they're likely expecting that we're either merely a vanguard, or a patrolling force that will now turn back to warn the capital."

CK8y4kO.png

"Even if the subtle entrance is indeed impossible, we shouldn't have to fight their entire main force so long as we don't waste time."

Winston1.png

"Unfortunately, as Tsidin said, they'll know we're coming - there will probably be resistance. We should move quickly."

Boss1.png.fddd2ef489c1e3673313bbeef76e1a9b.png

"And just what are you going to be doing with me?" Gerald asks. 

Winston looks him over. 

Winston1.png

"Someone tie him up. No point killing a man that can't fight back. Tsidin, you can go on and scout. Don't get into a fight until the rest of us are there."

~~Meanwhile~~

The attack had been sudden. At dawn, the warning bells sounded. Normally, this was just to warn the townspeople to go inside - there were bandits straying too close, or pirates in the bay. Nothing too tough for the guard. Eventually, the bells were silenced, and the townspeople came out. The orange and red armor of Pax was not what they expected. 

In an inn, a group was collected - only the innkeep and seven others were preset were present, as it was not the season for peak trade and most had gone to their homes at the sound of the bells. The Pax soldiers had not yet arrived -  but they'd be there soon. A young woman with a staff paces back and forth. 

5ab6e005e5221_ElizabethMoren.png.3398f181ba0dafb99be2eb9e1a50b7e0.png

"...I don't think we can stay here." she said finally. "They'll be coming here any moment now."

Cassidy, Johan, Mizukara, Yuel, Beatrix, and Bradwr are in.

PRLLNgI.png

A younger girl paced quickly back and further towards the back of the room. She did so at a feverish pace seemingly unable to calm herself. She was just bursting at the seems with some kind of energy though given how quiet she was being it was hard to tell what it was at the moment. Nerves, fear...? Though she quickly made it clear, via sudden outburst.

"Oh what 'ave we gotten ourselves into? An adventure it seems like to me! OOOOOOOH, l 'ope there's so much treasure and shiny tings... and...AHHHHHHHHHHH... isn't it great Bea? Yuel? Walkin' around was gettin' quite boring, you two and all your readie wordsies. What good are those tings anyway? Well magic l guess but psssssssssssh. l don't need none dat, l gots me knives and that's good enough for me. Now it's time for action! An, like... stabbin' tings... and romance! AHHHH! Oh this is gonna be fun..." she rambled on like this for awhile.... a long while. Sorta losing track of the fact that they were in quite and urgent situation. All the while bobbing up and down with way too much energy for any one human being. She was just possessed with excitement.

Bradwr stared out of the window of the inn, fingers drumming an anxious beat on the table. They weren't happy about this whole situation. The closing troops were a bad sign and the girl yelling about random things was just as annoying. Finally, they slapped the table and turned towards her.

2CGGRKZ.png

"You are being far from helpful here I hope you realize. This isn't a good thing. Unless you like being killed by an army with no regrets on their part? No? Then stay quiet while others figure out a way to get out."

PRLLNgI.png

Cassidy didn't even seem to notice the individual that was talking to her. Lost enough in her own little world that she didn't even register it. She just kept dashing about the room at the speed of roughly greased lightning. Whether she jsut didn't hear it at all or ignored it was a mystery however. "Oh, Yuel jus' think of all the cool tings we'll get ta see and do! Travelin' and what not? Beatin' up baddies! Well...l guess we already were but like innit just more romantic this way? AHHHH, maybe we'll fall in love with cute people on the way too! Right, Bea?! lt'll be a blaaaast. Well l guess we gots ta get outta here first doe. Eh, should be easy. l'm not worried, not even a mite~"

H3GLqLb.png

"Nax, la nax," she says almost gleefully at the order, "Come, Kayut!" 

dR5PifJ.png

"Ghrrr...." shooting one last look at the horseman, the wyvern finally puts the earlier commentary aside and takes off, the girl in tow. The two quickly become smaller and smaller in the distance, as he flies them just high enough to avoid the range of any lurking bowman. Wasn't too keen on having a thorn launched in his side today. Which he fully expected, given the buggers had seen them a good while ago, plenty of time to prepare... "Haghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

u1N0bYP.png

"Bah, Kayut worry too much. We be fine. Just... minor....'hiccup'? Yes, yes. Hiccup. That all. We get out just fine though, you see."

dR5PifJ.png

"Rhagrrrrrr..."

6xbrFY9.png

"It worth it, I promise. But 'nough talking, town just ahead... we stay just beyond boundary, cruise little higher. Only need to get numbers, see how bad it get."

A large, imposing man sits by the fireplace, wearing a rugged, robust, dark-blue cloak; beneath would have been the rugged mountain clothes of the men of Kahla, a satchel containing his few belongings and, of course, a small axe. Not remotely good enough for a fight, of course, nothing like a good battleaxe, but good for splitting wood. His mane of red hair was untamed, his right hand plucking a pipe from his mouth. As he overhears the discussion about an army, his interest is piqued, an all-too-familiar smile growing beneath his beard, a bloody-minded glint in his eye.

An army? An army meant a battle. A battle meant fun to be had, glory to be won, tales to be sung about. And so battle was where Johan, the Hammerhand, wanted to be.  Even- no, especially if it was the Pax. They made good sport; less glory, but more slaughter. Especially if they outnumbered this motley crew.  And in any case, he had scores to settle against them. Not that he was angry at them, not particularly; but it was his honor as a warrior at stake.

He stands up, looking out the window, slightly slouched to avoid hitting his head on the ceiling; he was accustomed to slouching, lest his massive frame smash into things too easily.

QwRNLs0.png

"Battle, they say? And they plan to run? While this town is surrounded by soldiers? Nothing to fear from rats armed with the cutlery and plates from their mothers' pantries! They see a lost fight; I see good odds and glory to be won!"

Bradwr rolled their eyes as yet another one of the group started speaking up about how weak the Pax were and how easy this would all be.

SNcEZsl.png

"You too now? You don't understand the Pax at all, do you? They aren't some weak mob to be killed easily. They're a trained military nation. And they're not afraid to kill anyone who gets in their way right now. Or do you not know any of the rumors circling about the old king? His death was no accident or natural cause. That much I can promise you."

Edited by Swordstar

It'd been some time since the alarm had sounded, and for most of that time, Beatrix had been sitting at one of the round tables, legs crossed, one hand resting on the tome in her lap, the other at a more comforting place: the hilt of the sword at her hip, most of which is concealed beneath her cloak. The air is tense — she can feel that much — but there's a different kind of energy eating at her, and it only gets worse as she watches Cassidy restlessly pace the boundaries of the inn, talking excitedly. Then the young man starts chastising them for taking the situation too lightly. 

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo2_r1_100.png

"This is it..." she mutters under her breath. 

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo5_r1_100.png

Rising suddenly from the chair, she steps around behind it, leaning over the back of it and impatiently tapping the toe of one boot against the wooden floorboards. "I know this isn't some game! But we can't run out of here and let them have their mill of the town!" Her grip tightens on the spell book, and she looks between Cassidy, Yuel, and the guy. "We need to show them we're made of something! We can take them, no problem!"

QwRNLs0.png

"No weak mob indeed! And yet they have yet to conquer a few tribes living in the mountains! You think too little of yourself, or too highly of them, if you think them invincible! A trained rat wearing a bucket and wielding a knife is still a rat! And if they're strong? So much more glory to be won!"

Bradwr sneered at the mountain man.

2CGGRKZ.png

"I didn't say they were invincible. But they outnumber us and the rest of their army is coming. You all can die if you want. But I have reason to live and throwing my life away at some of the pawns in this game won't help me achieve those. I need to make it out of this town alive and if that means a fighting retreat, then that's what I'll do. I'm not here to rescue this town or even this country. So go hide in your mountain and fight them there, or have your brave final stand in this village. Or work with me to get out of here alive. It makes no difference to me in the end."

5ab6e005e5221_ElizabethMoren.png.3398f181ba0dafb99be2eb9e1a50b7e0.png

"There's a difference between putting up a fight and just getting yourself killed. I don't think I'd like to do the second one. If we're going out, though, we should all go together - it gives us the best odds." she pauses. "There were some ships coming into port, when the bells sounded. Maybe we could get on one and head somewhere safe, bring whoever we can find."

---

Tsidin flies around the edge of the town. It's hard to get any sort of exact numbers, but going by the banners most of the Pax troops are in the residential district and around the lord's manor. The harbor district is mostly lacking troops, and there's a fairly clear path - they must not have had the time to receive the message and send troops to meet the Opus soldiers, yet, or perhaps they trusted that Gerald would deal with them.

If Johan even remotely cares about being sneered at, he doesn't show it. Except maybe by doubling down on the ham.

QwRNLs0.png

"Outnumber us? I call that good odds! More glory for everyone! The only fools who talk about dying and throwing their lives away are fools who have already given up."

Bradwr decided it was probably best to stop wasting breath on the crazy mountain man and instead addressed the other sensible person in the group.

2CGGRKZ.png

"The harbor sounds like a smart plan. Something we can use to get out of here as quickly as possible. Though we may want to take out any ships that we can't take to prevent them from falling into enemy hands and keep them from following us."

E0A5g33.png

"Oh, I'm pretty sure you can trust her not to get into a fight. . ." Alwine shook her head. Bitter thoughts and speech didn't become her.

j1Ko0Gg.png

"We'll be fine as long as we keep working together as well as we have. Just keep an eye on your squad's backs and trust them to watch yours."

PRLLNgI.png

"l dunno what this jawin' about dyin is but l can assure ye, l nary plan on it any time soon like. After all, the greatest treasure in the ol' wide world is one's self! Any Treasure 'Unter worth 'er salt knows dat, and l'm the bess ta evah grace this sad lonely rock!" SHe said towards the mysterious one of questionable gender. She didn't really care about dat doe, more pressing matters than dose to attend to.

We can easily trounce these few baddies and blow this popcorn stand! We sneak away wit' the Princess, and they get 'ere find out she's in another castle... ahhhh, wish l could the looks on der faces l do l do, but we can't be here for dat sadly. Ya know, you're a touch to serious boyo, you could be so much more fun. You've got potienal." She wasn't sure what kind of stick got up dere rear but twas enough of one for sure. No sense of adventure this one. She popped over quick as a dart and booped them on the nose, carefully retreating from any possible retaliation. ln the same breath she used the momentum to speed over to Bea and nearly hop onto her back with how fast she was going. However, she merely slung her arm around her and pulled her in tight.

"Ye, we'll show's em Bea! You an' me'll give 'em the ol' 1 2. We'll clock 'em good and then we'll gets out of 'ere before the storm starts! Notthin' we've not 'andled before like, na. Besides, l've 'opped a boat plenty. Tis good fun now and then!"

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo4_r1_100.png

Staggering a little under the sudden weight of her friend, Beatrix nevertheless swells with greater confidence at her words of encouragement and gives a determined nods. "Right. Who said anything about dying here? We'll handle them. Come on, Cassidy!" Without further ado, she makes her way towards the door, steps full of resolve.

PVzErY9.png

"I'll grab some rope from the wagon." Aidan headed back to the wagon...

...He then came back, holding the rope, starting to tie up Gerald. He wasn't that well built to restrain him, but he could tie a damn good tight knot. Checking his work, he looked to the rest of the group after hearing a bit of the conversation at hand.

9eei14D.png

"Alwine is absolutely right." Aidan didn't hear any of her muttering due to being a bit of a ways away. "We may be a small group, but we took out that small force with little trouble, right? With a little bit of recovery, Marl hopefully will be fine, and if we need to fight, we can fight. I've been practicing a spell of mine to give myself a shield; I haven't perfected it, it doesn't always work, but I'm hoping it will give me an edge in being front lines if I need to be there. I can't hide behind Alwine forever, now can I? Let's do our best, everyone!"

Of course, after hearing Aidan's assertions, Marl didn't want to be outdone, despite still being in pain. 

kNqOD2x.png

"I also have my own 'pet project' I've been working on, as I'm sure Anea can attest to. That one's gonna be a surprise, though."

ULjCqnQ.png

"Speaking of, after she's done healing me, I'd like to borrow your tome again. As you said, pain and boredom both oppose happiness."