FEF: The Lost Lands [IC Thread]

Twinwolf

PRLLNgI.png

"Heheh... well dat's not da easiest ta talk about." and it really wasn't. She had her reasons, and this was something she wanted. But, she didn't exactly leave cause she had wanted to. "l was too old ta stay at the Orphanage anymore. Miss Ellen couldn't really have an adult around the place that was up to ya know... borrowin' tings. She l 'ad ta leave. ln part...l didn't want ta. Those kids looked up to me, or well... l suppose the story l made up to keep 'em from thinkin' l was doin' anything bad. l didn't want 'em gettin' no idears in their 'eads that it was a smart or rightful plan. l only did it ta 'elp out Miss Ellen, she needed da help. l know there was probably better ways ta 'ave done it but... it was all l could do at da time." she said, looking like she did in part regret having to do what she did, but it was about survival in some dead end town. SO she didn't really regret it.

"l'd told da little ones dat we 'ad a mysterious benefactor. l called 'er 'The Lilac Fox'. Twas just me but dey knew no better. She was a mighty treasure 'unter wit a 'eart of gold she was. She'd get sorts of presents for da little ones, toys, food, sweets, ya name it. Well... maybe dey did know. l neva borrowed anyting for myself,just for dem so they 'ad some little 'appiness. l figured iffen l 'ad to leave, l'd find the biggest treasure l could carry, and bring it back one day... doe, ldoubt by da time l do they'd still be the little tykes l 'ad left dere."

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo2_r1_100.png

"Wow... so... this whole time, you've been doing everything for those kids at the orphanage."

She looks down, feeling both guilty at the clear discomfort she'd caused in bringing out a difficult topic and wondering what a life like that must be like. It makes her feel... selfish, almost. Was she right, back then? Saoirse... She'd had her own fair share of hardships growing up, but compared to Cassidy's situation, whatever fights, resentment, and frustrations she'd had towards her parents and peers seemed trivial, no matter the wounds they'd left.

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo4_r1_100.png

Despite the awkwardness, Beatrix attempts a smile. "Well, I'll work with you to find that world's greatest treasure, then. Two've gotta have a better chance at finding it than one, right?"

Marl was in the berthing below, studying the manuscripts and histories Leslie lent him, when he heard Johan's boorish remark reverberating through the timbers. There was little in the world Marl had experienced that could knock him out of his studying trance (and not from lack of trying on his sister's part). It looks like especially boisterous skalds are next on the list, if she finds out about this. 

YZeIfn0.png

Judging about the remark about the tome, the Bergmensch was most certainly talking to one of the dedicated spellcasters rather than him (perhaps Aidan, though that light mage looked studious herself), yet it still carried a hefty, vulgar weight to it upon first hearing. What does that matter? Once I've made the history books and rise in the ranks, I may never see these people ever again, more so once I inherit the barony. But honing my mind is of paramount importance to my success. Besides, it's not as if he has joined our squad. The commander told them that they were free to go wheresoever they please once we reach Opus, so unless Pax intercepts us, I don't think we'll fight together again.

PumCh27.png

Though I wouldn't mind hearing him sing again, so long as it isn't to drag me from my studies. ...Actually, perhaps I can take a break. Besides, I've read most of these at the estate, and one can only reinforce so much at a time before it starts to have no effect. I should probably move onto today's combat practice. Marl then returned to the deck for the first time since he had gotten onto the ship (he having been studying from then until now, only stopping for sleep and meals brought down to him), nailed a board with a target he drew on it to the mast, and fired at it with his practice bow. 

PRLLNgI.png

Cassidy flexs her right arm and pumps it once into the sky, "Ye ye! So many adventures we'll 'ave Bea. We'll find it wes will. lf l ain't Cassidy "The Lilac Fox", The bess Treasure 'Unter there ever was! And l am prutty sure l am." Cassidy smiled from ear to ear as she said this, closing both of her eyes and scrunching her nose. A small thumbs up flashing towards Bea, before she was assaulted by yet another full body hug. Though, at least this time for Bea, Cassidy had done so while standing still, rather than bulleting towards her. "Aaaah, tis to be a wonderful tale it is it is. Chock full o' adventure and romance and darin' deeds! A true tale of da ages!"

Cassidy sheepishly turned to the other that had been in this conversation for a moment. "And l suppose Aunty Yuel can come too~" with that returning to her giant smile that wrinkled her little nose.

Johan simply lets out a deep, throaty chuckle.

QwRNLs0.png

"Good, good, learning to balance your weaknesses out. A mark of a true warrior is knowing how to hone themselves. It separates the rats in armor and the boys barely out of their mother's embrace from the true warriors, those who survive. You have much to learn, but Tyr be with you on that journey. Who knows, my path may take me with you. Seeing the Pax rats scurry for their mothers with their tails between their legs is what all Kahlese men aspire to do! 

Personally, I never had much time to learn magic from a book; the most powerful skalds were said to merely speak and the heavens would roar with fire and thunder. Still, it is another way of the warrior."

B4FPsbo.png

"Haha... Yes, indeed. One can not properly strive to be able to be successful without learning how to overcome their faults as well. And you are absolutely correct; there is still so much I am still learning, but I have faith that this journey alone will teach me many great things. I do hope we may follow the same path; I believe there is a lot I could learn from you and the rest of the folk you came with... and you must tell me more about the skalds you have heard of sometime. That sort of magic is simply incredible to hear about."

maybetest_no_hat_test.png

"Naturally," Yuel chuckles before continuing. "Someone has to look out for you two while you're off searching for treasure and what have you. And besides, practical research has always been my forte," Yuel finishes, a smug grin on her face after the last point.

Beatrix makes a face at the words 'look out for you two'. "Come on Yuel, I can handle myself!" After all, she'd gone to the academy away from home, managed herself pretty well if she did say so herself, and she'd left Emries all on her own too, and had made it this far. Nothing's gone wrong yet. What is there to be afraid of?

"Well, as long as you don't treat me like I'm ten or something, we should be okay."

Lysander had not been intermingling with the others much ever since they got on the ship. Truth be told, however, it certainly was not for lack of will. However, the simple fact was, he had by now spent most of his time leaning over the side of the boat, praying that his latest meal would remain where it belonged. Though, all told, there was far less risk of it coming up than he thought there was. At least so long as the waters remained relatively calm.

bu6clZI.png

Not this again... I thought I was past that.

It had been a while since he'd travelled by boat - and it had taken long enough that the feeling had eventually passed. But evidently, not permanently. To assuage his nausea, he looks out towards the horizon, letting out a sigh.

"Worry not, I don't intend to go that far. Even so, having others around to help you out if you need it is something you shouldn't take for granted. Even a talented individual can end up in a mess if they aren't careful," Yuel responds before staring out to sea.  Her thoughts went back to an incident in her childhood, causing a slight grin to pop up on her face. I know you two can likely take care of yourselves, but having a friend around never hurt, she thinks to herself.

"Hehe, sure, okay. I don't mind people tagging along and all." She straightens up and puffs out her chest slightly, a renewed, cocksure look on her face. "But I don't need anyone else to help me. I've got it in the bag, you'll see."

There you go again. You're only ever thinking of yourself. Can't you think about how others feel, for once?

tumblr_p5t2qfXtjC1vbmrpfo2_r1_100.png

"Err... not that I don't appreciate you guys being around or anything," she quickly adds, sheepishly. "Makes things a lot less... lonely."

A slight sense of relief washed over Aidan, now able to introduce himself. He was not bothered by being called 'boy', but he appreciated being able to divulge his name without sounding rather awkward.

pOrwY7j.png

"Ah, where are my manners? My name is Aidan Stavros, and as long as I continue my mission and as long as Pax continues to attempt to thwart us, I'm afraid they will have to keep coming for me. May I ask for your name as well?"

QwRNLs0.png

"I am Johan of Kahla. They once called me the Hammerhand, but that was.....a long time ago. 

So, your mission will take you towards the Paxi rats? Excellent. It will be my pleasure to help send them scurrying home for their mothers. As all Kahlese men should aspire to!"

PRLLNgI.png

"Ye ye, bein' on one's own is great, until it gets all borin' like." Cassidy remembered back the the times from before she met the two. She'd been trying to get off her home island at the time. Of course, she didn't have much in the way of money so she had to try and sneak onto a ship. Luckily it'd been the two here that found her and not any of the deckhands. "Rather glad youse looked in that barrel for whateva da reason was. Was wicked cramped in dere ye ye. Not good wicked either."

Cassidy suddenly got a rather miffed expression on her face as she seemed to be in thought. "Ye ye, neva doin' a barrel again if l gots ta 'ide for a long time. Maybe a box... or, like... a sheet or someting."

"Weeelll. Let's just say I had some experience with stowing away on a ship to get where I want," Beatrix replies with a bit of a smirk. "Not easy to get off Emries these days."

Giggling, she continues: "you looked so startled back then. Remember how you started rattling off about why we shouldn't throw you overboard? Neither of us were even thinking about that!" 

PRLLNgI.png

"l've no idear what'cer talkin' about Bea. A Treasure 'Unter is always mighty composed she is she is." Cassidy trying to play off the situation as if that wasn't the case. She knew it was true BUT, that wasn't good storytellin'. "Anyting ya remember was clearly me 'aving a spot of fun wit'cha two lovely ladies. Of course l knew youse weren't dere to throw off. Youse was lucky to even find me in the first place." That was weird... why did they even look in that barrel in the first place? That was certanly a strange thing Cassidy never really questioned before, but now that she was thinking about it...

"So... why on earf did'cha ya two even open dat barrel in da first place? Mighty suspect if ya asks me."

j1Ko0Gg.png

"Curiosity about the people I've fought beside, I s'pose. You aren't part of my squad, obviously, but you also don't strike me as a resident of that village. I'd give you your same question back; how did you end up here?"

vqazOx1.png

What a strange question. How did anyone end up anywhere? We are all adrift in the sea of destiny... we do naught but follow the tides. The intention of the tides is beyond our understanding.

Shiro pondered the question for a while, but decided that this armored woman was probably asking about her physical presence in the village rather than her place in the larger context of the universe.

"I was just passing through that hamlet. I've been wandering for... some time now. I feel no particular attachment to this land, but I am not crass enough to stay my blade when innocent lives are in danger."

j1Ko0Gg.png

"I see. Well, I'm glad for your assistance. It's always good to know that there are people around that will put themselves at risk to protect strangers. Other people, anyway; that's sort of my job." She laughed slightly at that, before her expression settled back into a more curious one again. "So you've been traveling for a long time? Are you headed anywhere? And, is it physically or. . . spiritually, I suppose?"

QwRNLs0.png

"Sir Johan? Do I look like a knight to you? And I busy myself not with any possibilities that do not involve more battles to be sung of, glory to be won, tales to be told. You had better be prepared for a fight, Aidan, because if I am presented with one, I will not turn away."

Johan just stares at Aidan for a moment. Two. Three. He even looks dead serious, the kind of look a bear gives its prey shortly before mauling someone, or the kind a wolf gives a deer, shortly before snapping its delicate neck in its jaws with little more effort than a child poking holes through rice paper.

Then, just as Aidan might consider running away from the mountain of muscle right before him, in order to avoid being twisted into various shapes by what would presumably be hands the size of his head, Johan starts laughing uproariously, his right hand clutching his stomach.

QwRNLs0.png

"Boy, you really must learn more about others if you believe you offended me so easily! It's a joke, Aidan. If you believe such an simple mistake is an insult, you aren't going to get anywhere!"

In that brief moment or three, Aidan felt Johan's gaze bearing deeply into his soul. In fact, despite trying to keep a straight face, he could not stop himself from sweating a tad, as he briefly considered the fact that he might actually get snapped in half. At least he knew he could stand his ground and at least show he was honest, for he did not plan to run away. But regardless, was this it?

...No, it was not, as Aidan found out from Johan's laughter. He stopped himself from breathing the deepest sigh of relief in history.

P3JmKBF.png

"Haha... You're correct... Once more, going back to needing to learn from what hinders us. I will say, however, that you make an excellent intimidator. Gave me quite the fright. But thank you for that lesson; as I've said, social skills are something I quite unfortunately lack."

"Honestly, I got the feeling that there was something around. It's hard to recall exactly what I felt, but there was some feeling that there was something else besides just Bea and myself around. And since there wasn't much else around, we decided to poke into it if only to ease my mind a little. Though you were certainly the last thing I expected to find," Yuel explains, finishing with a laugh.