Serra's shiny new team and why it should go

blazenx56

This is purely just looking out for the newer players/ players who start a new save and shouldn't be objected to the hour and a half struggle of missing moves. 

Serra's entire team is based around Aurora Veil mixed with her signature mirror field. With Aurora Veil being used said pokemon gains an evasion bonus( also lowering their attack with the seeds only on special attackers) on top of the evasion bonus gained if they have the seed that over half her team has. Not only does the field boost evasion but it also hurts you everytime you miss.  Now a part I left out is the possibility of an increase of freeze/crit chance that will make sure that even the most patient player would just delete the game and forget about it.  None of this is fun. It's just an over the top annoying battle that to newer people make them think the fangame is overly trolly and not worth continuing and older players to not want to create a new save (seriously isn't this the old Serra that got redone for being overly annoying?). 

It would be much better for her to rely on Aurora Veil to get bulky attackers with slush rush or the seed that boosts their speed/attack stats. Or maybe go back to the doubles battle with Aurora Veil and healing mons with ice body with good spread moves. Drop Aurora Veil and slush rush to victory calm mind batoon pass with the seeds boosting speed or defense. Theirs a lot that could be done with slush rush, the seed, and Aurora Veil that it makes no sense to go back to a gym leader so hated it was already redone.

1 hour ago, blazenx56 said:

This is purely just looking out for the newer players/ players who start a new save and shouldn't be objected to the hour and a half struggle of missing moves. 

Serra's entire team is based around Aurora Veil mixed with her signature mirror field. With Aurora Veil being used said pokemon gains an evasion bonus( also lowering their attack with the seeds only on special attackers) on top of the evasion bonus gained if they have the seed that over half her team has. Not only does the field boost evasion but it also hurts you everytime you miss.  Now a part I left out is the possibility of an increase of freeze/crit chance that will make sure that even the most patient player would just delete the game and forget about it.  None of this is fun. It's just an over the top annoying battle that to newer people make them think the fangame is overly trolly and not worth continuing and older players to not want to create a new save (seriously isn't this the old Serra that got redone for being overly annoying?). 

It would be much better for her to rely on Aurora Veil to get bulky attackers with slush rush or the seed that boosts their speed/attack stats. Or maybe go back to the doubles battle with Aurora Veil and healing mons with ice body with good spread moves. Drop Aurora Veil and slush rush to victory calm mind batoon pass with the seeds boosting speed or defense. Theirs a lot that could be done with slush rush, the seed, and Aurora Veil that it makes no sense to go back to a gym leader so hated it was already redone.

ok so a few things worth pointing out:

* ONLY physical attacks (that make contact I think?) will cause miss recoil, special attacks that miss may reflect and hit anyway.

* IIRC she loses all them evasion buffs the moment she launchs an attack as in game if you get advice from Ame she tells you that the pokemon have to come out of hiding eventually to attack. (will need to re-check the field effects note on this)

* She isn't actually that difficult as her entire team is built reliant on Aurora Veil which can be broken like light screen or reflect with brick break if any of your mons know it (not sure if it can be learnt by level though) or blocks with taunt, hell simply fainting the pokemon before it can set it up helps.

*Nature Power a move most any pokemon can learn, gained from 2nd gym becomes Mirror Shot on the field which does 2x damage due to the field not counting type effectiveness in that increase and if you don't mind a relationship points loss you can break the field, also abilities like Shell Armor and Battle Armor block the recoil damage I believe that or they just stop the field termination hurting you but really, special attacks will work well heck mirror shot  in the field  will always trigger it's effect

• Veterans
1 hour ago, Lord Drakyle said:

ok so a few things worth pointing out:

* ONLY physical attacks (that make contact I think?) will cause miss recoil, special attacks that miss may reflect and hit anyway.

* IIRC she loses all them evasion buffs the moment she launchs an attack as in game if you get advice from Ame she tells you that the pokemon have to come out of hiding eventually to attack. (will need to re-check the field effects note on this)

* She isn't actually that difficult as her entire team is built reliant on Aurora Veil which can be broken like light screen or reflect with brick break if any of your mons know it (not sure if it can be learnt by level though) or blocks with taunt, hell simply fainting the pokemon before it can set it up helps.

*Nature Power a move most any pokemon can learn, gained from 2nd gym becomes Mirror Shot on the field which does 2x damage due to the field not counting type effectiveness in that increase and if you don't mind a relationship points loss you can break the field, also abilities like Shell Armor and Battle Armor block the recoil damage I believe that or they just stop the field termination hurting you but really, special attacks will work well heck mirror shot  in the field  will always trigger it's effect

- Evasion buffs do not get lost. This means that if her Froslass - honestly the only true threat but god is it a bitch.. - uses Aurora Veil, you're looking at something with doubled bulk, +3 evasion and a 100% crit rate.

- Brick break is incredibly rare via level up and doesn't change the fact that the Pokemon retains the evasion buffs meaning not only can you still miss, but you can take recoil while doing so.

2 minutes ago, Azeria said:

- Evasion buffs do not get lost. This means that if her Froslass - honestly the only true threat but god is it a bitch.. - uses Aurora Veil, you're looking at something with doubled bulk, +3 evasion and a 100% crit rate.

- Brick break is incredibly rare via level up and doesn't change the fact that the Pokemon retains the evasion buffs meaning not only can you still miss, but you can take recoil while doing so.

true enough points. I like to live by the understanding of how in Pokémon Reborn we learn some mons we would never touch are good and that sometimes the key to beating a gym leader is using their field against them or taking it away. in this case nature power has no recoil danger and is incredibly effective on serra's field against her

• Veterans
3 minutes ago, Lord Drakyle said:

true enough points. I like to live by the understanding of how in Pokémon Reborn we learn some mons we would never touch are good and that sometimes the key to beating a gym leader is using their field against them or taking it away. in this case nature power has no recoil danger and is incredibly effective on serra's field against her

Not even disagreeing with this, just wanted to make some corrections.

Honestly what I hate about Serra's fight is just how ridiculous her Froslass gets after using Aurora Veil. No joke I've been reverse swept by that stupid thing a bloody lot while doing testing. Something with doubled bulk, +3 evasion and a 100% crit rate is just ridiculous and this is not taking into account Froslass' already fantastic speed and passable Special Attack and bulk stats.

23 minutes ago, Azeria said:

Not even disagreeing with this, just wanted to make some corrections.

Honestly what I hate about Serra's fight is just how ridiculous her Froslass gets after using Aurora Veil. No joke I've been reverse swept by that stupid thing a bloody lot while doing testing. Something with doubled bulk, +3 evasion and a 100% crit rate is just ridiculous and this is not taking into account Froslass' already fantastic speed and passable Special Attack and bulk stats.

I know you wasn't disagreeing was just pointing out my thoughts, not to mention if we can land a crit back that bulk means nothing but I know the pain...I really do.

To be honest I haven't fought her new team yet, but in the multiple playthroughs, most of them monotypes, I've never had problems beating her. What is more, I've always found the buff that her field gives to mirror shot like, well, she shooting herself in the foot. I have faced her using a typhlosion and yet the best strategy still was using nature power mirror shot. 130 bp factoring the power buff, never misses and always lowers accuracy making her vulnerable to the gimmicks of her own field effect if her pokemon manage to take a 130 bp super effective move. 

The only thing that I see could make this fight harder is the slush rush sandslash, but that's about it.