Types Hurt & Heal (BUG TYPE WINS with 8 HP)

dragonsbeat

@Alistair

@Jess I disagree. Hurt and Heal provides more flexibility than a simple strawpoll, even without strategies. It notably allows people to:

- Voice varying degrees of support to different types, by voting for different names over the course of the game and depending on which competitors are left.

- Contribute to the elimination of competitors they do not like, which is impossible in a strawpoll.

- Similarly as above, voice varying degrees of dislike to different types, by downvoting different names over the course of the game and depending on which competitors are left.

You do realise that all those things you mentioned are strategies themselves. So, your first point ("even without strategies") is self-cancelled by your next statements.

Any action that is dynamically changing based on some "factors" is taken by the process of thought. This process is called "strategy". If you just voted by which you like most/least, then it would have no strategy. Only way to achieve no-strategy to interfere in this game, is to make it non-interactive. Which is impossible.

Edit: Sorry for the double-post... If a mod sees it, you can merge my posts... When I realised it, I had already hit save... :( 

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Jess Strategy is, according to the Cambridge Dictionary, "a detailed plan for achieving success in situations such as war, politics, business, industry, or sport, or the skill of planning for such situations".

Apologies, I hadn't realized that voicing an opinion about pokémon types was a detailed plan for achieving success in such situations ^_^

3 minutes ago, Alistair said:

@Jess Strategy is, according to the Cambridge Dictionary, "a detailed plan for achieving success in situations such as war, politics, business, industry, or sport, or the skill of planning for such situations".

Apologies, I hadn't realized that voicing an opinion about pokémon types was a detailed plan for achieving success in such situations ^_^

I misunderstood what you had read. You're right about this, I'm sorry.

I will just paste the analogy I used earlier in my status update, for everyone to see and get it done with.

This game is similar to any sport, say basketball/football. Passing between players isn't a necessary thing to win by default in basketball/football. Theoretically, you can win by just having every player dribbling and scoring on his own, without anyone ever passing. But have you ever seen a team winning without that? Passing in teamgames is identical as strategy/teaming up in this one. Not necessary by default, impossible to win without. And, since others used it before me, I just used it too. And I had quite a lot of fun! Blame me if you want, but I don't feel like I ruined any game. I did nothing that is forbidden by the rules.

@Wolfox if you ask me, this is a reccurring problem at all stages of H&H games. It's true that I probably wouldn't go ahead and point it out for Fairy's sake, because I don't like the Fairy type. But my position about it is fundamentally the same regardless of any type involved.

@Jess very well, for fairness' sake I'll copypaste my own reply here, and let the issue rest.

"impossible to win without" is wrong, I'm afraid. Had we not formulated any strategies over the course of H&H, there would still have been a winner, albeit the result would probably be vastly different. Otherwise, your position is reasonable.

To make it clear, I'm not engaged in a personal crusade against you or your favorite type; I'm replying to you because you've been kind enough to voice your own stance over this, which provides me with an opportunity to develop mine. I simply regret the way this game unfolded.

That being said, I also regretted it the last time I was truly involved in an H&H, so perhaps I should stop playing these games altogether.

A strategy is a very broad concept. I don't like steel, so if I hurt steel every time I vote wouldn't that be a strategy because I have a detailed plan for success (kill steel)? At the same time I don't think such tactics should be disallowed, what if someone only (dis)likes one type or heavily (dis)likes one type over another? About people gaining up on one type, I doubt most are petty enough to send private messages to target one type. I think most of the time it's someone hurting one type that makes another person realize they don't like that type much either. Then more people hurt it because it's low and they want it to die before people can heal it. Watch, one of the next three votes is going to be to kill grass.

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

let me actually get it straight, now this is an issue but when fairy was being bombarded in the same way there were no problems?

That's mainly because there are quite a few people here who genuinely dislike fairy type. Some may have jumped the bandwagon but even if they didn't, fairy was likely to go down early.

@Alistair Don't worry about people playing together. You'll find that with almost any game people will group up in trying to take someone / something down. In a game like this it's to be expected.

I also played a little 'strategy' after fairy went down. But I only did it because Bug became too popular and no one was healing electric so I changed targets. That just shows everyone has their own way of playing. 

Also some people are just spiteful and will start targetting what others upvote just because they can't stand that their favorite is being targeted. Nothing you can do about it so just play the game as you like. 

With that being said: Save the Mamo!

Ice: 5

Bug: 10

Poison: 8

So, of the three types left, Ice is my absolute favorite type, Poison is my absolute least favorite type and Bug is...eh, somewhere in the bottom half, but not at the bottom. (Bottom three being Poison, then Steel, then Fighting).

I am okay with this, though I wish it could rise to the top.

2 minutes ago, HAWmaro said:

Ice: 2

Bug: 5

Poison: 10

I don't hate bug, but their fans seem to have killed all my favorite types so ima murder the shit out of it.

So, there are types that you like less still in the game but you're killing this because people who healed bug dislike your favorite type? That's even worse logic than me killing water just and normal just because those are the two most toxic types in monotype (Toxic as in stall. there are 0 types that stall as much as Water and Normal in Monotype. god knows why the council allowed Normal to use both porygon2 and Chansey with eviolite...)