so i am new to this

keeghan1992

It can get pretty difficult at times. The main thing this game encourages you to do is keep a rotation of Pokemon on deck. I myself, however, ended up just fine only using eight Pokemon, but you may find yourself using Pokemon you generally consider trash. For example, one of the best early game pickups is actually Kricketot, as Fury Cutter runs through the early game. My point is that the gym leaders can be tough to beat (ESPECIALLY with Field Effects), but the solution to beating them is usually nearby.

This game forces you to use a VARIETY of pokemon you normally DON'T use. For example: It could make you use a Leavanny or Luxray or tons of other stuff. Just make sure to keep a good team that can combat each others' weaknesses. If you have a fire type on your team have at least a pokemon with a good move that can combat Water or Rock or anything else. Just keep your team BALANCED and try not to get overleveled. Also for Froakie go for a Special set NOT a physical.

I think the most important part regarding Reborn's difficulty (aside from pokemon families avaliability) is it's level cap. On any pokemon game, if you were having a hard time with a particular fight/gym/E4, you just trained your team's ass off, overlevel them, and sweep the fight afterwards.

The level cap on this game puts a halt to this, so that now you can't ignore type weaknesses with higher levels (as in using a lvl 60 Charizard to beat up a lvl 45 Golem).

Field effects, too, greatly affect how the fights go; and if you don't take advantage of them (or play around them), your team's going to get hurt. BAD.

Edit: There's even a cheap item (Common Candy, $300) which lowers the level of a pokemon by 1. That's how important level cap is on this game =)

Edited by Maltor

@keeghan1992  First of all,choose whatever pokemon you like.If you have full team,there are hardly any battle you can't win.

I need at best 7/8 pokemon to finish the game.It will be easier for you if you choose pokemon with double typing for better coverage.For example chandelure with flash fire is lot more better than a typholsion.

Hidden abilities are now like regular abilities so you have more options now.For example,sheer force nidoking.

Lastly but most importantly,please finish the game at least once before using the online feature.

The online play basically broke the game.It's really annoying to see when a user asks for a 6IV hidden ability dratini with jolly nature and with dragon dance and aqua jet and wants to give a shiny unown in return.

There are still many nice users here who will help you in any cases regardless.

Also this game is really huge so you don't need to finish this in a week.I have finished 3 runs and all of them have over 60 hours of gameplay.

Like already said here, early game good pokemon are really scarce so especially event pokemon can be really helpful but there are some decent pokemon available in the early game like the aforementioned kricketot and at least for me trubbish was a very helpful addition :D 

Basically just have like 8-10 pokemon in rotation and you should be fine. Also entry hazards like stealth rocks and toxic spikes can make your life so much easier.

never go into a battle expecting to sweep, because you will most likely be disappointed if you do. balance your team out. explore, do sidequests, all the regular "open world" stuff.

Now that the tips are over, let's say how reborn is harder than any Pokémon game: it's actually difficult in a fair and balanced way. if you look at wat's is considered one of the hardest Romhacks, Dark Rising, you can see that it's not really difficult as it's just a grind fest. Then look at Insurgence where the "difficulty" comes from a lack of balance and the Cult Leaders having Legends early on (Like, when you fight the Sky Cult their leader has a Mega Rayquaza. And at that time you're like 3 to 4 badges in). Reborn, on the other hand, balances it all out. it gives you enough options to deal with everything you encounter. heck, there's even "Forum Champions" because they deal with everything so well (Those being Gardevoir and Magnezone).

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Also for Froakie go for a Special set NOT a physical.

This is not always the right idea, as Greninja is well versed in both physical and special attack. while in OU and such it's mostly seen Special, in-game Physical or even mixed can do wonders

First welcome.The difference between difficulties is as wide as the gap between heaven and earth. There 3 major aspect in this: strategy, availability guidance.

In sun and moon the need for strategy is quite low, the exp share basically puts all your pokemon a higher level and the trainers have less pkmn then you. You can easily overpower the opposition with little worry. Reborn eliminates all that with full teams and a level cap. On top of that reborn adds various layers on top with different types of challenges, field effects,performant teams, ... .

The second one is availability. Ame has a clear vision on the growing and it is "growing". Throughout the full game Ame wants teams to progress. So this means that the centralising pokemon are pushed till later in the game. So in the beginning the pokemon tend to be on the weak side so don't expect a magikarp,gibble any time soon. The same applies to moves as well. Good move tutors and tms are for much later. In fact this episode we got flame charge. So a lot of pkmn are restricted to their natural/egg moves.

The last one is guidance in pokemon sun and moon your path is set out for you with little deviation and the impact of these deviations is rather low. In sun and moon items are given all the time and pokemon are healed for you in/before a fight. In reborn you are a big boy/girl/non-binary and thus responsible for yourself.  You have take care of your own team and inventory. Luckely Ame is quite messy and left a lot of stuff lying. You have to explore and check everything yourself. This also applies to pokemon, some pokemon appear in specific events during certain circumstances. It is up to you to find those events to get these special pokemon.

So all in all it is difficult game but fair. Just remember experiment amd habe fun.

Edited by FairFamily

Hello there @keeghan1992. May you pokemon never faints xD

There is no point comparing Reborn to any official game. Reborn is very well balanced in everything and really pushes you hard to using pokemons you never thought to use before, while a official one, you can go winning everything with just your starter. Speaking of starters, Protean Froakie is very strong, one that is very strong and will help A LOT is Torchic with Speed Boost. But feel free to try everything you want. Also keep an eye for Espurr early in the game, he was really helpfull for me.

See ya~

I have only two advices for you :

1. Explore thoroughly and search for hidden items ( trust me, it's worthed )

2. Catch and train your mons as many as possible ( in this game, you can't win the game with only 6 mons unless your team is a true solid one )

Edited by Ainz Ooal Gown

• Veterans
3 hours ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

I have only two advices for you :

1. Explore thoroughly and search for hidden items ( trust me, it's worthed )

2. Catch and train your mons as many as possible ( in this game, you can't win the game with only 6 mons unless your team is a true solid one )

It's very easy to win with just 6, even if it isn't very strong. The game promotes strategy which is what results in these rotations, not the other way around.

A recommendation I have is to study up on Field Effects and use Pokemon such as Arcanine or Roserade if you can, both pair up well with Greninja and take tremendously great advantage of most field effects.

You'll find yourself using a lot of status moves and strategy for each Gym. They use creative field effects, so you'll want to take a peak at which moves are favored and which are suppressed to maximize your attacks as well :P If you don't have a balanced team (like me, I always tend to have a weakness against rock and poison) then you'll want to make up for it. That said IVs and EV training is not necessary - actually, I've found it's more challenging and enjoyable if you don't care about those things that much.