Pokemon Empire starter poll

ssbCasper

Which starter would you choose?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. If these were your starter options which would you choose?

• Lillipup
    • Starly
    • Venipede
    • Rockruff
    • Phanpy
    • Magnemite
    • Misdreavous
    • Nidoran
    • Flabebe
    • Vulpix
    • Poliwag
    • Bellsprout
    • Sneasel
    • Axew
    • Electrike
    • Makuhita
    • Abra
    • Zorua

Makuhita.

It's not great in competitive, but the second you use a Hariyama ingame you fall in love with the big guy. He hit's like a truck, he has HP out the arse and good abilities. It deserves more love <3

1 minute ago, ssbCasper said:

@Noctelis Yea the early game won't be too kind to Axew. There will be plenty of event Pokemon that will cover his weaknesses and help make gym battles a bit easier. Rockruff is turning out to be quiet popular. 

Had a no-guard midnight Lycanroc in Rejuvenation and it was a killer machine.

Axew however could still kill ice gym with dragon rage, it's not the slowest dragon anyway.

Was also thinking about Vulpix and Sneasel, but they both need an item in order to evolve.

Venipede. It has good abilities (Speed Boost is OP), 2 evolutions and an evolution pattern that closely resembles the original starters. Also, I've never ever seen a Bug starter, so it needs more love.

If not Venipede, Axew for sure.

13 minutes ago, Jess said:

Venipede. It has good abilities (Speed Boost is OP), 2 evolutions and an evolution pattern that closely resembles the original starters. Also, I've never ever seen a Bug starter, so it needs more love.

If not Venipede, Axew for sure.

Might've considered Venipede if it actually learned a better poison move than poison tail without the need a TM.

As a matter of fact, most of the better moves it can learn can only be learned through TM's, which is really a shame as it has nice stats and a great HA, Megahorn is of course a great move, but it actually requires a wide lens or something to have a good chance of hitting.

37 minutes ago, Noctelis said:

Might've considered Venipede if it actually learned a better poison move than poison tail without the need a TM.

As a matter of fact, most of the better moves it can learn can only be learned through TM's, which is really a shame as it has nice stats and a great HA, Megahorn is of course a great move, but it actually requires a wide lens or something to have a good chance of hitting.

I agree. It would be great if it had Poison Jab and X-Scissor in level-up moveset, instead of TM-only. However, Megahorn is a Hydro-Pump-on-Blastoise case. Learns zero good attacking STAB moves other than that (Aqua Tail sucks, let's be honest) and it is very unreliable. So, I don't think it's too bad. But yes, Scolipede needs Poison Jab instead of Venoshock in level-up moveset.

3 minutes ago, V for Vendetta said:

Voted for Sneasel, a solid dark and ice type overall. Pretty frail but hits fast and hard (Insert Cain drooling here...I should draw that actually) Although Sneasels movepool is kinda iffy but nonetheless a pretty good mon.

If only it didn't need a special item in order to evolve, right?

If it would actually be changed in Pokemon Empire, I might just choose Sneasel myself.

@Noctelis There will be an event at a reasonabale point in the game where the player will get the evolutionary stone or item for their starter. So for Sneasel that would be its razor claw and "Trade stones" will be a reward for some side quest so you won't be waiting forever to evolve your starters. Alternatively if people would prefer I could just make all Pokemon that evolve by item+trade evolve via level up. Might make a poll for that too actually.

Edit: Rip Bellspeout, I love the little guy 

@V for Vendettaand @Jess thoughts on rebalancing some of the starters like Venipede and Sneasel that have poor movepools by giving them better stabs? 

Edited by ssbCasper

For me, it was a choice between Makuhita, Zorua, and Sneasel.  I haven't used any of these in a playthrough (except for N's Zoroak on rotation in Blaze Black 2), so these were they were all viable choices. 

I chose Sneasle in the end because even the best Ice type usually seem harder to use (read as: Keep alive).  Plus, I've wanted to use a Sneasle since Gen 2, but they appear too late in a game for me to bother training at that point.

8 hours ago, ssbCasper said:

@Noctelis There will be an event at a reasonabale point in the game where the player will get the evolutionary stone or item for their starter. So for Sneasel that would be its razor claw and "Trade stones" will be a reward for some side quest so you won't be waiting forever to evolve your starters. Alternatively if people would prefer I could just make all Pokemon that evolve by item+trade evolve via level up. Might make a poll for that too actually.

Edit: Rip Bellspeout, I love the little guy 

@V for Vendettaand @Jess thoughts on rebalancing some of the starters like Venipede and Sneasel that have poor movepools by giving them better stabs? 

I think tweaking slightly movesets would be acceptable. For example, X-Scissor instead of Steamroller wouldn't hurt Venipede. Or Poison Jab instead of Venoshock. In Weavile line, Icicle Crash could be a relearnable move, as long as move relearner is relatively late in game. Also, Ice Shard can only be learned by Sneasel, not Weavile by level-up, at lv. 47. This could be changed. I don't see why Weavile couldn't learn a move Sneasel can.

I picked magnemite because it evolves twice as all the original starters do and has a great typing especially in the first stages of any game where many grass, poison flying rock, normal type pokemon appear. And later in the game, it becomes a monster that hits hard and can survive hits with sturdy!

Magnemite is great! If it weren't for the double weakness to ground, I  bet more people would pick it!

So idk how many people are going to see this here, but I just need a few opinions so I don't want to make a full topic out of this. I already decided to change the electric starter to mareep in hopes of people being drawn to 2 evolutions. But I'm a bit perplexed as to why we have no love for Poliwag, its really hard to pick a water type that isn't either overused in games or just to good to be a starter. So if anyone can think of some alternatives that people might like I'm all ears. 

15 minutes ago, ssbCasper said:

So idk how many people are going to see this here, but I just need a few opinions so I don't want to make a full topic out of this. I already decided to change the electric starter to mareep in hopes of people being drawn to 2 evolutions. But I'm a bit perplexed as to why we have no love for Poliwag, its really hard to pick a water type that isn't either overused in games or just to good to be a starter. So if anyone can think of some alternatives that people might like I'm all ears. 

Changing electric starter to Mareep is definitely a good idea.

As for a different water starter I was thinking that perhaps Horsea might be a good and apreciated alternative, as far as I know, there isn't any fan game with Horsea as possible starter, and the fact that it has Kingdra, which has very few weaknesses, as final form, could also make it a popular starter.

Perhaps changing the fairy starter from Flabebe to Ralts would also be a good idea.

Edited by Noctelis