Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance and Discussion

mde2001

13 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

(This is technically a double post but I assume it's ok in this particular thread) 

A suggestion this time: seeing as the 'total members' count at the bottom of the forum homepage doesn't mean a huge amount because of the huge number of old inactive accounts with 0 or 1 posts, it could be cool to have some kind of "active members" count down there at the bottom, if it was easy to implement. exact criteria for what constitutes "active" would have to be decided, but maybe accounts that have made a post or status within the last month would be generous enough?

Yes, you're correct that double posting is fine in this thread. 

This is certainly an interesting idea conceptually. While I don't think we'd get rid of the total members count as there is some value in having the whole number, it may well be able to be added next to it. I can't promise this would be doable, but it doesn't immediately seem like something impossible to me so I'll bring it up and see what can be done. 

6 hours ago, Ethernum said:

What about Stylish skins for the website?

If there are people among us with enough skills and time to make several skins, I think it may be fun.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be a thing. We already have a few different themes and we at least had a theory that some of the site bugs were caused by theme related issues (although I think we're less sure about that now than we were). I'm not saying this is never possible but I think this probably isn't the best time for it. 

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, mde2001 said:

This is certainly an interesting idea conceptually. While I don't think we'd get rid of the total members count as there is some value in having the whole number, it may well be able to be added next to it. I can't promise this would be doable, but it doesn't immediately seem like something impossible to me so I'll bring it up and see what can be done.

Yea I meant as an addition, rather than a replacement. site/community stats are always fun =).

14 hours ago, mde2001 said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be a thing. We already have a few different themes and we at least had a theory that some of the site bugs were caused by theme related issues (although I think we're less sure about that now than we were). I'm not saying this is never possible but I think this probably isn't the best time for it. 

Oh, well, it doesn't really matter, tho. It would be fun but if it causes bugs, we better stay like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods
On 1/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, mde2001 said:

Hey have you noticed how you can freely edit other peoples quotes to say whatever? I'm pretty sure this would be one of the things that you guys have no control over and is part of the forum software, but it's interesting to note.

Whenever I cleared out many of my attachments earlier (most attached to my own status updates with a few forum posts), I noticed many of them linked to other user's status updates or forum posts that were made on the same day.  Not a major issue, though it was a tad inconvenient when I wanted to return to the update/post.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DreamblitzX said:

Thing about editing others in quotes

This is actually intentional. Sometimes people only are responding to a certain part of other people's posts, and so they can remove unnecessary information. So there aren't really any problems, as we can still see what the initial person posted, so people can't forge things from others. 

54 minutes ago, seki108 said:

Whenever I cleared out many of my attachments earlier (most attached to my own status updates with a few forum posts), I noticed many of them linked to other user's status updates or forum posts that were made on the same day.  Not a major issue, though it was a tad inconvenient when I wanted to return to the update/post.

Wait, are you saying that the thing that you attached when removed turned into a link to another post? Can you link me to some of the status updates/ posts where this is happening.  

46 minutes ago, mde2001 said:

Wait, are you saying that the thing that you attached when removed turned into a link to another post? Can you link me to some of the status updates/ posts where this is happening.  

No, they were like that before they were removed.  I have two examples left to show from my attachment list, the first and the third/last attachments in the image below.  The image links on the very right (which should show where the image is attached/was used) are incorrect:

Spoiler

Screenshot_451.png.2b361d231dc3fb7ffcf15b057116e35e.png

For the first attachment, it links (on the very right) to this status update

http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/profile/66819-jess/&status=112577&type=status   , 

However, it is supposed to link here, where I posted it and it is still displayed 

http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/profile/69875-seki108/&status=112576&type=status

For the third/last attachment, It links to this status update

http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/profile/67601-j-awesome_one/&status=112384&type=status

when it should be linked here

http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/profile/69875-seki108/&status=112383&type=status

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, mde2001 said:

This is actually intentional. Sometimes people only are responding to a certain part of other people's posts, and so they can remove unnecessary information. So there aren't really any problems, as we can still see what the initial person posted, so people can't forge things from others.

Yea the deleting makes sense, it's just the adding that feels weird. I guess it would be pretty hard to allow one and not the other though. and yea it's not really an Issue, I just kind of wanted to mention it

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seki108 said:

No, they were like that before they were removed.  I have two examples left to show from my attachment list, the first and the third/last attachments in the image below.  The image links on the very right (which should show where the image is attached/was used) are incorrect:

Hide contents

Okay... that's really odd. I don't think there's anything we can do to fix it, but I'll chuck it in the OP and bring it up at the next meeting to double check it can't be resolved. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Global Mods

Is there any way we could try to limit these spam posts coming in, instead of you guys having to manually remove them? maybe some small restriction for posting links based on account age or post count? (something like 1 day or 10 posts?)

Good evening, I have some queries regarding clubs. Does the system wherein you need to gather members for a club and organize it before setting it up still exist? I suggest that it'd be in the best interests to keep that established because from what I've been noticing there are some clubs which don't really have any activity or members and though it's not really a major issue, I think it might be good to keep traffic of posts/activity at least alive, so that they can be used to their maximum purpose. Thanks

@March Hare Divergent

As far as I'm aware the system of creating clubs still requires a certain number of members. That being said, I don't think that we're monitoring a certain level of activity is upheld. If there's enough support for that, we could certainly consider our options in that regard, but I'm not sure if we see there being enough harm in some emptier clubs to actively delete things or not. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My site activity is not updating.

It shows my last activity in the Penta-Op thread on September 22. Its not a big deal, but I like to be able to go back through my posts, and they just aren't showing up there anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm probably high key the worst for pointing this out but I really like seeing things as up to date as possible and I noticed that in the Pokemon Reborn FAQ, the question about playing the game on macs is linked to the old guide and refers to me as a moderator.  Now I do love that my moderator legacy gets to live on in the FAQ but my old guide no longer requires a legacy cause it's dusty and old so an updated link might be neat.

Also idk what the deal is at this point with the Showdown server but having a link on the site that just leads to a dead place just makes me a little sad.  At the very least maybe make the E16 discussion room up to date for the current episode so it at least looks like Clarice has been trying her best to keep the place tidy.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...