Maximum Effort! A Fighting Monotype Playthrough (Latest Defeated: Noel) (ON HIATUS)

Filthy Casual

Chapter 9: Victoria is the Worst

After we discovered that Corey had dropped down into a puddle of Hawaiian Punch, we joined Victoria in order to discover what was the source of the explosion...

...only for her to be kidnapped immediately.

Luckily for us, we ran into her pretty quickly. We ran into a guy who seemed to know a lot about Reborn's history.

Spoiler

CSNqNfZ.png

sEjogZI.png

qTI2XeP.png

I don't know. Does it give me Corey's badge he was supposed to give me? Because that's the only way I care.

After our fun chat, we run into the two Meteor grunts once more, Aster and Eclipse, who decide to take us on in a double battle. Luckily for us, Victoria decided to help us out (why she didn't just do that in the first place is beyond me, but whatever)...

...and honestly, the fight was pretty easy. We were able to take out the Solrock and Lunatone while Artemis used a Bulk Up, clinching the win. On the way back, however, I found something extremely useful:

Spoiler

UPO9k5v.png

No, I will NOT be using this Dunsparce. I believe later on, you can trade one away for a Tyrogue.

I also ended up finding an Ability Capsule! Soon, either Grubba (Hariyama) will have Fake Outs that actually work or Bruce Lee (Sawk) will be able to live at least two hits.

When we got back, we were offered to visit the local psychiatric facility in order to assist the Gym Leader, Shelly, who had seen the suicide first hand. However, things quickly got weird...

Spoiler

cFDnt3C.png

...DIED?!

As it turns out, the doctor of this facility likes to use electroshock therapy on his patients. What makes this even more disturbing is that Connal is based off his real life counterpart, who actually did to this to his patients. I believe he was arrested, or at least brought in front of a jury...

We ended up telling Shelly the news, and she was suddenly more confident. She stated that she needs to be stronger for Heather. Honestly, that's an awesome moment of character development. With our determination and wits about us, we began to-

X2gGgnb.png

Oh, hello! Come to thank me for helping you out?

IPokQYQ.png

...as a person who is fighting the league, yes. In fact, you do too...

lfD7Gvd.png

Excuse me?

Pardon me for being heartless for a second, but my character did too. In fact, in this particular case, he was the one who pushed Corey to commit suicide. Apparently, that doesn't matter to Victoria, as she immediately says:

hQORX2Z.png

You know, if you really want Shelly to be a stronger person, why not just have her say it? You really aren't helping her, and quite frankly, this seems to be a theme with Victoria. "Oh, you're doing something really important, but I don't think you can/should, so I'm going to stop you" is the motivation behind her battles for a majority of the game, and it's a shame. Either way, we still need to fight, I guess...

Spoiler

6h3oiTR.png

SrpBvkk.png

The fight starts off with me switching immediately from Clubber Lang to Artemis (Combusken)

iX1PGtA.png

Unfortunately, while she uses Bulk Up, Scraggy goes for a High Jump Kick and hits. I have to KO it there instead of continue to set up.

VTXqF8s.png

After some healing and Bulk Ups, Artemis manages to take down the Pignite.

2lD4CpZ.png

Of course, one Flame Charge blows it away.

HRwCs3q.png

Artemis hits Hariyama with a Flame Charge...

...only for Hariyama to use Belly Drum

Victoria heals twice, and manages to take Artemis down

Yq5hOD0.png

Clubber Lang tries to outspeed, but he stands no chance

oMAuX1l.png

A Sheer Force Fake Out doesn't take it down, and suddenly, I'm really worried

FJnxr3k.png

Thankfully for us, Rousey is there to finish the job

cwAthXQ.png

Now that this disagreement is settled, we can begin to take on Shelly! I happened to find an Ability Capsule down in the mines. Should I use it on Hariyama (who has Sheer Force) or Sawk (who has Mold Breaker)? Also, where can I find other Ability Capsules? I want to make sure I can defeat Solaris with this team, as well! Next time, we take down Shelly, and hopefully get our badge!

Current Team

Spoiler

q7qQHzi.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done!

Completely agree about Victoria, she's a huge pain. Everytime we try to do something, she's like "No don't do this I'm gonna prevent you" and gets wrecked and is all mopey. Btw, why don't you try the mystery egg for a Breloom? It's really really good and has been really useful on my grass run so far.

After Shelly, I guess most of the gyms will be a cakewalk! Ice, Normal, Psychic, Dark, pretty easy, eh?

3 hours ago, RedAlert said:

Well done!

Completely agree about Victoria, she's a huge pain. Everytime we try to do something, she's like "No don't do this I'm gonna prevent you" and gets wrecked and is all mopey. Btw, why don't you try the mystery egg for a Breloom? It's really really good and has been really useful on my grass run so far.

After Shelly, I guess most of the gyms will be a cakewalk! Ice, Normal, Psychic, Dark, pretty easy, eh?

Thanks! The good thing about Victoria is that she barely shows up. I, too, hope the rest of the game is easy, because each part has one twist which makes it brutal (ice field causes a lot of missing, there is a fairy type and a flying type in the normal field, Samson can give a hard time, etc). Although, you are still correct: Luna will be EASY.

Chapter 10: Bugging Shelly

After Victoria decided to stop being annoying, we went on to challenge the bug leader. Along the way, we fought many of the trainers, and even gained a cool new evolution!

Spoiler

qhcbMEJ.png

"Let the world honor you, my huntress. Live forever in the stars."

With our newly improved team member on hand, we found Shelly in her study. She told us that she tried to live up to the expectations of her older brother, Bugsy, but her efforts were always futile. It's an interesting approach to her character, and it certainly makes her interesting. With that new information in mind, we quickly went to battle:

Spoiler

GzuiCSK.png6RVcyTC.png

The battle starts off with Artemis going for Bulk Up, while Grubba goes for Fake Out on Illumise (no longer Sheer Force). Illumise outspeeds turn 2, and gets off a rain dance. I have no choice but to set up three more Bulk Ups with Artemis, all the while healing her from Masquerain's Bubble Beam. Eventually, one Blaze Kick takes Masquerain out.

Wormadam is sent out as a replacement. Artemis goes for Blaze Kick on Illumise, but Shelly switches it out for Anorith. The image was cut out due to the slaughter being too graphic. Grubba gets taken out by Wormadam's Mirror Shot. Rousey (Primeape) gets sent out.

ZpfUKkX.png

Artemis uses one Blaze Kick to take out the Yanmega, Rousey stays preoccupied with a Seismic Toss. Rousey gets hit with a Critical Hit Mirror Shot, which activates Anger Point.

uu4HP6v.png

Blaze Kick decimates the Illumise, while Wormadam gets blown away by Rousey's max attack Karate Chop.

POtl5Ch.png

The poor thing never stood a chance...

rxC4t5H.png

I mean, if it helps, you're still better than Julia.

That battle was way too easy for it's own good, so I decided to train Clubber Lang in the ice cave, who is starting to fall behind in levels. While training, we found a new member who could use our support...

Spoiler

AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!

D0vMKSK.png
"Whether you like me or don't, I still dig showing up to work."

We finally have our sixth team member! However, we aren't done looking for fighting types yet! Next time, we will be leveling up some team members, as well as looking for other fighting types.

Current Team

Spoiler

FLatmve.png

Chapter 11: Pangoro Pandemonium

While exploring for new fighting types by the abandoned Railroad, we discovered a "dull key". We attempted to find where it fit, and found a place previously unexplored in the slums. Of course, as we were traveling, we happened to stumble upon a pack of Pangoro bullying some Scraggy.

GEmxE6Y.png

Perfect! Finally, I can catch a Scraggy and we will be on our way. All we have to do is beat the Pangoro and-

A2VeX5P.png

...oh, no...

26fDTR8.png

OH, NO!

Needless to say, it took a few tries, but we got our new team member! Say hello to the next member on the team:

Spoiler

tzyX10q.png

"We don't fight wars. We finish them."

After that escapade, we went down to meet Ame in order to tell her that Corey met an untimely fate. Unfortunately for us, we were beaten there by none other than Fern. He had claimed he received a key that would allow him to fight the reserve poison leader. Of course, if we beat him, he would tell us where to get it. However, I didn't realize that this fight would be the most challenging yet...

Spoiler

tjVWYx0.png

...just kidding, of course. All it took was six bulk ups, and I won the match. Artemis is STILL the only one on the team to have faced Fern.

All jokes aside, after the fight, Fern told us to ask Cain for the key. When we did, Cain said he would give it to us if we beat him in a battle.

Spoiler

kiHRFVF.png

SDbIapv.png

The battle starts off with Artemis vs Dewott. She KOs the Dewott with two Double Kicks, but not before taking serious damage from Razor Shell.

P2eJ1xa.png

Luckily, one Critical Hit Blaze Kick sends Venomoth to the shadow realm...

...but then HE came.

9o1PkOh.png

I decided to see if John Cena could outspeed and go for a Mud Bomb. Looking back, that idea was really stupid.

Jwn1crI.png

With Rousey, I end up telling her to go for a Screech. She goes down, but gets one Screech off.

TzxOOm2.png

Grubba is then barely able to pull through with some Knock Offs.

GdmAVYF.png

CALM DOWN, CAIN!

I decide at this point to test out Sonya Blade (who I trained a bit from the trainers at the starting building). She goes down, but does a decent amount of damage to Grimer.

wi6vrLE.png

Clubber Lang takes heavy damage from a Mud Bomb, but finishes the job with Slash.

lByjjrw.png

Before he can give us the key, however, Heather shows up, and tells Cain to stay away from her. We notice her head off to the Lapis Ward, and run off to see if she is okay. Next time, we will be heading down to the Lapis Ward in order to check on Heather!

Current Team

Spoiler

ojwthum.png

On Standby

Bruce Lee the Sawk (level 29)

1 minute ago, FactoryofSadness said:

Chapter 11: Pangoro Pandemonium

While exploring for new fighting types by the abandoned Railroad, we discovered a "dull key". We attempted to find where it fit, and found a place previously unexplored in the slums. Of course, as we were traveling, we happened to stumble upon a pack of Pangoro bullying some Scraggy.

GEmxE6Y.png

Perfect! Finally, I can catch a Scraggy and we will be on our way. All we have to do is beat the Pangoro and-

A2VeX5P.png

...oh, no...

26fDTR8.png

OH, NO!

Needless to say, it took a few tries, but we got our new team member! Say hello to the next member on the team:

Hide contents

tzyX10q.png

"We don't fight wars. We finish them."

After that escapade, we went down to meet Ame in order to tell her that Corey met an untimely fate. Unfortunately for us, we were beaten there by none other than Fern. He had claimed he received a key that would allow him to fight the reserve poison leader. Of course, if we beat him, he would tell us where to get it. However, I didn't realize that this fight would be the most challenging yet...

Hide contents

tjVWYx0.png

...just kidding, of course. All it took was six bulk ups, and I won the match. Artemis is STILL the only one on the team to have faced Fern.

All jokes aside, after the fight, Fern told us to ask Cain for the key. When we did, Cain said he would give it to us if we beat him in a battle.

Hide contents

kiHRFVF.png

SDbIapv.png

The battle starts off with Artemis vs Dewott. She KOs the Dewott with two Double Kicks, but not before taking serious damage from Razor Shell.

P2eJ1xa.png

Luckily, one Critical Hit Blaze Kick sends Venomoth to the shadow realm...

...but then HE came.

9o1PkOh.png

I decided to see if John Cena could outspeed and go for a Mud Bomb. Looking back, that idea was really stupid.

Jwn1crI.png

With Rousey, I end up telling her to go for a Screech. She goes down, but gets one Screech off.

TzxOOm2.png

Grubba is then barely able to pull through with some Knock Offs.

GdmAVYF.png

CALM DOWN, CAIN!

I decide at this point to test out Sonya Blade (who I trained a bit from the trainers at the starting building). She goes down, but does a decent amount of damage to Grimer.

wi6vrLE.png

Clubber Lang takes heavy damage from a Mud Bomb, but finishes the job with Slash.

lByjjrw.png

Before he can give us the key, however, Heather shows up, and tells Cain to stay away from her. We notice her head off to the Lapis Ward, and run off to see if she is okay. Next time, we will be heading down to the Lapis Ward in order to check on Heather!

Current Team

Hide contents

ojwthum.png

On Standby

Wait. Your Scraggy got Dragon Dance?! Hmm. I did a Fighting Mono Type once (wasn't part of the community at that time) and my Scraggy had Thunderpunch. But anyways, congrats on beating Cain and Fern and getting a new member. ^_^

2 hours ago, Awesome_One said:

Wait. Your Scraggy got Dragon Dance?! Hmm. I did a Fighting Mono Type once (wasn't part of the community at that time) and my Scraggy had Thunderpunch. But anyways, congrats on beating Cain and Fern and getting a new member. ^_^

Thunder Punch and Dragon Dance are both egg moves: softresetting before you fight the Pangoros can enable you to eventually come across one w/ Dragon Dance ;)

8 hours ago, FactoryofSadness said:

That battle was way too easy for it's own good, so I decided to train Clubber Lang in the ice cave, who is starting to fall behind in levels. While training, we found a new member who could use our support...

Hide contents

AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!

D0vMKSK.png
"Whether you like me or don't, I still dig showing up to work."

I can't see your sixth member... strange

Edited by RedAlert

7 hours ago, Awesome_One said:

Indeed, you can get Dragon Dance Scraggy as one of your options. Makes me wish I knew about that for my in-game normal team. I'd rather have Dragon Dance than Ice Punch.

4 hours ago, RedAlert said:

I can't see your sixth member... strange

YOU DIDN'T

Chapter 12: Swiggity Swooty, Sonya Comes for Shade's Boo-ty

After finding Heather at Shelly's gym, Cain tried to reason with her. However, Heather was hearing none of it, and unfortunately ran into the care of Sigmund Connal. After hearing her screams, we ran to the ward in order to rescue her. We even had some help along the way...

Spoiler

bWhHajq.png

...from Shelly, no less! It's nice to see her step up her game, and of course, it's during a time where Victoria is not there to baby her.

We had many battles, each with many psychic and electric types. However, one good thing did come out of it: we got an awesome evolution!

Spoiler

DLIUiwE.png

"Dead meat..."

Eventually, we ran to the top where Heather was being kept, and...

...well...

TDCrnac.png

This is messed up on so many levels, but it's even more messed up when you realize the characters in Reborn are based on real people in the Reborn league. That means the doctor really did torture these girls. I can only imagine who Heather was inspired by in real life.

As the children were running through the tunnels, we did a bit more training, and evolved a couple more team members:

Spoiler

5DMYY22.png

"Save him. I've got this son-of-a-bitch."

nqO3cpH.png

"History won't repeat itself. I make history."

Sorry if you can't see him, but I assure you his time is now

We ended up meeting the children in the tunnels, where we learned that the power grid was out. Fortunately, we were provided a solution:

Q0rRSAp.png

tx294BN.png

The great thing about this is that Mr. Shadow, or Shade, is also a gym leader. Why Ame decided to make him a ghost is beyond me, but whatever, I guess that's just how it is. Overall, this fight was one of the most satisfying I have had.

Spoiler

iKIL8kp.png

5ElcmW9.png

The fight starts off with Sonya setting up Dragon Dance three times. One Crunch takes out the Gengar.

NwD1i8O.png

Another crunch blows away Doublade.

SrvQPYA.png

Trevenant gets blown away by a Crunch.

xl9N0ND.png

Crunch is more than enough to take out Rotom.

0btgvUO.png

You probably can guess what happened to Banette at this point...

uux3ysK.png

Now, you probably think the fight is over, but if you look at my level, Sonya is one level above the level cap. This meant that Sonya ignored the next two Crunches, and was taken out by Energy Ball. I was honestly hoping for the sweep, but you can't win them all...

y7eG0GP.png

John Cena uses two Sucker Punches to bring Chandelure down to red. He is taken down (because Dry Skin), but performs admirably.

znQWWYO.png

With Chandelure weakened, Grubba is more than enough to finish the job.

9MyD9Fu.png

Be honest, Shade, I know you're still mad.

Of course, after the battle, Shade gave us the badge. However, after activating the power, he then showed us something troubling:

pZ86rOW.png

UzboJkD.png

Of course, we cannot leave them in the clutches of Team Meteor. Because of this, next time, we will be saving the children!

Current Team

Spoiler

k1feHOe.png

In the Box

Edited by FactoryofSadness

Chapter 13: Artemis goes Super Saiyan

After taking out Shade, we went to check on the children. When we went back, we found something much more unpleasant...

We were told that Cain was taking off to a place called Apophyll in order to gain access to the HM Strength. While we missed him before he could give us the key, we did run into Amaria, who asked us for our assistance with the Meteors. I don't know why, however, because her Pokemon are jacked on steroids!

upg1BLK.png

I personally find it odd that the Meteors think that Solaris could beat Amaria when she has a huge type advantage against much of his team. Eventually, we ended up fighting our way to the center of the factory, where we found something disturbing:

ydWl8tU.png

Quickly, ZEL tried to defend the PULSE Muk. It was time to battle.

Spoiler

cPMrprS.png

8tBJaNo.png

Artemis starts off the battle by going for a Bulk Up. I noticed that Glaceon went for Mirror Coat, so I decided to go for it again. This continued until I maxed out her attack, and then...

...well...

etSzpdP.jpg

There wasn't really a battle. Everyone got one shot, and I don't just mean one turn each. The PULSE Muk could only take ONE of the two kicks for Double Kick!

Fhnr8sL.png

Next time, maybe you shouldn't just go for Mirror Coat...

Now that we have dispelled the PULSE Muk, we can move on to Apophyll! Next time, we will take on Kiki, the fighting type leader!

Current Team

Spoiler

KjwJARV.png

In the Box

Clubber Lang the Pangoro (level 36)

Chapter 14: A Battle of Will

That's right, today, we have a double header, back to back! After we took care of Solaris and his PULSE Muk, we traveled to Apophyll, where we met Kiki, another fellow fighting type master. She told us that in order to receive Strength, we would have to enroll in the program and take a rigorous training course. Then...

...Victoria came...

Apparently, she's the top student in Apophyll. With her influence, we were able to strike a deal. If we could beat a fire type user named Cal in a fight, we would be able to challenge Kiki. Before we did that, however, we found a new team member!

Spoiler

44J4Kw5.png

"If there is effort, there is always accomplishment."

Also, I found this while heading up the mountain:

q7lQlhG.png

Obviously, I'm not going to be using it, but if anyone wants it, let me know. I don't need anything, and more fighting types are coming very soon.

Immediately, we we found Cal at the top of the mountain, and despite some angsty phrasing, we went into battle!

Spoiler

GAwchX9.png

GvyOCTt.png

The fight starts off with Grubba using Sand Attack. Surprisingly, that works like a charm. Infernape goes down.

BDCPUbI.png

Grubba gets off one Sand Attack before getting destroyed by Wing Attack.

9Q6oQPu.png

Bruce Lee was brought down to 1 HP by Charizard's Wing Attack. There, he used Counter to KO the Charizard.

hBCpXKt.png

Since I had a type advantage, I decided to start setting up Dragon Dances. One Crunch from a +2 Dragon Dance almost takes it out, but when dealing the finishing blow, Cal switches to Typhlosion.

M14cM55.png

One High Jump Kick brings it down.

gorDTqk.png

While the Magmortar outspeeds, it misses it's Focus Blast. Sonya KOs with High Jump Kick.

VdGpnO3.png

High Jump Kick blows it away.

rxNGX5F.png

Easy.

Afterwards, when telling Kiki about our triumph, she was ready to fight us. With our wits about us, we were ready to-

6Qyv15d.png

...wait a minute, it that-

lMhma2R.png

Oh, hello, Victoria! What do you need?

gJL6Htj.png

...don't you do what I think you're going to do...

brszaUv.png

You're going to do it, aren't you?

ZS8uK4E.png

Here it comes...

juRGGEG.png

There it is!

Once again, Victoria was speaking for the well being of others when she had no right to do so. Either way, we needed to beat some sense into her:

Spoiler

tVFRjKS.png

JU2UR5Z.png

The fight starts off with John Cena taking Scraggy down to red, causing Victoria to waste her Berry Ice Cream.

bn0vaJA.png

John Cena gets sacrificed here, but lands a Sucker Punch.

4LfFpsR.png

Galled uses Psycho Cut, only to get blown away by Counter.

ak4DakY.png

At this point, I knew she couldn't touch me, so I used Bulk Up once and blew Heracross away.

enGtfey.png

A couple Double Kicks decimated the Emboar.

ljav65T.png

Hariyama gets hit with a Blaze Kick...

...only for it to use Belly Drum again.

Artemis then inexplicably misses the Blaze Kick and gets blown away by Force Palm.

adwjQIq.png

Luckily for us, Grubba had Fake Out to finish the job.

zK30n6a.png

Well, if you said please...

No.

After Victoria made some stupid comment about me caring too much about the kids, the battle of the fighting type masters began!

Spoiler

And honestly, this was nothing short of fun!

tQVZwko.png

8PCVMPp.png

The battle starts off with Machamp using a field effect boosted Strength, which becomes part psychic in this terrain. Bruce Lee still KOs with Counter.

R8AKQfa.png

Artemis gets in a Bulk Up and survives a Psychic from Lucario. The Speed Boost is enough for her to outspeed and KO with Blaze Kick.

FTV7OxV.png

Artemis gets in one Blaze Kick, but is still knocked out.

ZqksHIp.png

Both Grubba and Rousey (Primeape) are sacrificed so Bruce Lee (Sawk) can be healed.

Rh9aDtW.png

Bruce Lee decimates with Counter.

UVmFet3.png

John Cena almost KOs with Mud Bomb, but a psychic Strength KOs the champ.

S9FzDFm.png

Sonya gets three dragon dances up. It's a slaughter.

nYEOUiN.png

High Jump Kick KOs the Hitmonlee.

KkUdxfU.png

Crunch decimates Medicham.

u6TjK8G.png

I never realized how fun a mono-v-mono battle could be, but that was fun!

After an awesome battle, it was time to receive our badge!

MgZ3eOB.png

Thanks for the awesome comment!

9wEqP0y.png

Finally, no side quests to get a badge!

u90mCOs.png

...wait, why did you pause?

Ed2GJx1.png

Are you going to-

ds59UlC.png

I'm not getting my badge, am I?

kiWCGPE.png

...welp.

Next time, we will investigate what happened to Cain!

Current Team

Spoiler

Tb1Jbjx.png

In the Box

Clubber Lang the Pangoro (level 36)

Kano Jigoro the Throh (level 33)

Chapter 15: Bruce Lee and Sonya Blade vs Garchomp

After we defeated Kiki, Victoria warned us that Cain was supposed to meet them at the island hours ago. According to her, the only possible place he could have gone would have been the Azurine Island right by Apophyll Beach. Before we went off, however, we collected a new team member!

Spoiler

ThY49J2.png

"拙者、ホンドーと申す."

When we arrived at the island, we found a warehouse on the opposite end. There, we found Cain being held captive by Taka, the one with the demon Chatot. Taka told us his plan to send in a PULSE Camerupt to cover the school in magma. Immediately, we went to battle!

Spoiler

a1ZgloD.png

hWTgZpA.png

The battle starts with Klefki going for Bulk Up. I decide to use this opportunity for Bulk Up, and...

...well...

NDzp7nh.jpg

The poor thing never stood a chance.

AhHdZ8u.png

That pretty much sums up this battle.

After saving Cain, we then headed up the mountain in order to find Solaris. When there, he bragged that it would only take "a single Pokemon to delete them". Of course, we wouldn't take that claim lightly, so instead, we decided to take to the battlefield...

Spoiler

...and man, he wasn't kidding about only using one Pokemon!

bfrkP6F.png

4XHilHE.png

The battle starts off with Garchomp immediately bringing Bruce Lee down to 1 HP with Earthquake. Bruce Lee counters with Counter, almost annihilating Garchomp in one shot, but he still gets hit by Rough Skin.

ndHBiBG.png

Grubba and Piston Hondo (Meditite) are sacrificed so Bruce Lee (Sawk) can be healed.

V4hNJbx.png

Another counter brings the Garchomp back to the red, but Rough Skin KOs Bruce Lee.

dvLkO35.png

John Cena and Sonya Blade get sacrificed in order to heal Bruce Lee.

wAg3BQH.png

Another counter brings Garchomp to red...

13ImMBP.png

BUT HE HAS A THIRD FULL RESTORE!

I was not counting on that, and at this point, feared I would lose. I decided to revive Sonya Blade (Scrafty) in order to give Bruce Lee time to heal.

N2foXS8.png

Bruce Lee gets hit be a field-effect boosted Fire Fang...

...and doesn't get knocked down to red?

BmsPqeO.png

As it turns out, when switching Sonya Blade (Scrafty) in, intimidate activated, cutting Garchomp's attack stat to abysmal levels. This gave me enough time to finish the beast off with Counter.

toywxQ6.png

m4WnlmY.png

All would have been well, but Cal decided to be a coward and betray Kiki. Victoria then cried about Cal betraying everyone (which is honestly the first thing I can agree with her about this whole play through), and send him away looking quite distraught. Afterwards, we went back to Apophyll, only to find out Kiki's badge has been invalidated. The good news is that we now have received Strength, and Cain is currently willing to open the gates to the Wastelands! Next time, we will be taking on Aya in the new poison gym!

Current Team

Spoiler

IJMlBY6.png

lUv6kNm.png

Chapter 16: Aya gets Wasted

After the victory over Solaris and his Garchomp, we went to the doors of the Wasteland, only to find Cal hiding nearby. He wanted to explain how he did everything as a double agent, trying to sabotage the PULSE Camerupt. Of course, while I stated that I believe him, this honestly makes me respect him even less. Kiki essentially died for nothing because of his cowardice. Cal then sulked away into hiding, stating the Meteors would be after him. We then tried to get Cain to give us the keys. He unlocked the gate, only to say "By the way, we're fighting now, lol."

Spoiler

oWH9i1p.png

Z11X9Ci.png

The battle starts off with Hondo, in order for him to get experience. He is switched out immediately into Artemis (Blaziken), who almost gets blown away by a crit Psybeam. Fortunately, a Blaze Kick finishes the job.

yEHB7Rp.png

Bruce Lee uses Counter after being hit by the Poison Tail. It does significant damage, but Cain decides to go for Thrash and KO Bruce Lee.

vnafbCA.png

Grubba finishes Nidoking off with a Fake Out.

oOKQdSv.png

Haunter lands a Shadow Ball, but gets decimated by Knock Off.

ivNDc9k.png

John Cena has Dry Skin, meaning Razor Shell doesn't work. This causes Samurott to use Revenge and Night Slash, which are resisted, while the champ KOs with Drain Punch.

Of5PsfX.png

John Cena hits with the Mud Bomb, but Muk eats it and KOs with a Mud Bomb of its own.

sYpZvyk.png

Grubba combos with Fake Out and Knock Off, but gets KOd by a crit Sludge Bomb.

o7cLUwL.png

Luckily, Artemis finishes the job with Blaze Kick.

tTxA0ry.png

After that attempt to stall us, Cain granted us access to the wasteland. We eventually ran across Aya, a girl with serious emotional problems. She had unfortunately lost to a challenger: Fern. He had boasted to us that he decided to catch new Pokemon other than grass types. Would Fern finally be able to see another Pokemon on my team other than Artemis?

Spoiler

Of course not!

JCxqiDy.jpg

All it took was a few Bulk Ups, and it was over. He STILL has yet to see anyone else on the team!

After that battle, we Fern decided to stick around, stating that he would be happy no matter who lost. We quickly went to battle!

Spoiler

4V7e8gP.png

NrIUwRD.png

The fight starts off with Artemis going for a Blaze Kick while John Cena uses Mud Bomb on the Nidoqueen. Unfortunately, Nidoking would start using Spikes and Toxic Spikes, translating to residual damage every turn. Tentacruel would use Surf, and while that would do heavy damage to Artemis, it wouldn't affect John Cena with Dry Skin. Eventually, however, Artemis went down.

PKrf5S7.png

Grubba was fortunately there to finish the job with a Knock Off.

wdh1FCb.png

Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do with Grubba, so I used Sucker Punch on Dragalge and sacrificed Grubba.

heXKLnw.png

Here, I decided to get a Dragon Dance on Sonya Blade. While John Cena gets double teamed, he still did his job.

EDEw3qu.png

Sonya KOs Draggle with a Crunch while Bruce Lee gets a critical Retaliate on Tentacruel.

g7J1Kej.png

Gengar misses with Focus Blast, and Sonya KOs with Crunch. Bruce Lee uses his turn healing Sonya. Unfortunately, despite landing a Crunch, Aya's Venusaur knocks it out next turn.

2EkxHtO.png

Piston Hondo knocks out the Venusaur with a Fake Out, and Bruce Lee uses its turn to revive Artemis. Inexplicably, the Drapion goes for Aqua Tail. Hondo survives.

oBCJqGS.png

Another turn is spent healing Artemis while Hondo goes down.

9u9C6JD.png

The poor thing never stood a chance...

gQzaebu.png

But that's not all! We got another evolution after the fight!

lVwWUM4.png

"まだまだ!"

Now that we have our badge, we have access to Strength! Next time, we will use this ability to save the children!

Current Team

Spoiler

vKIGdcR.png

lUv6kNm.png

A lot of the battles here could be summed up as "I have a Speed Boost Blaziken." :P

15 hours ago, FactoryofSadness said:

Since I had a type advantage, I decided to start setting up Dragon Dances. One Crunch from a +2 Dragon Dance almost takes it out,

How did a Crunch coming from +2 Atk not OHKO that Delphox?

2 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

A lot of the battles here could be summed up as "I have a Speed Boost Blaziken." :P

Seconded!

2 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

This as well, what is the nature of that Scrafty?

22 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Very good question. I'm not actually sure, but hey, I still won. It was hardy. Maybe it was plus 1, but either way, it should have KOd.

23 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

20 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Seconded!

Yeah, people really weren't kidding when they said Blaziken was the best in the game. I've been only trying to use her against mons with type advantages such as Fern, but man, she's so good!

20 minutes ago, FactoryofSadness said:

Yeah, people really weren't kidding when they said Blaziken was the best in the game. I've been only trying to use her against mons with type advantages such as Fern, but man, she's so good!

Nooo greninja is best, fite me

I have to admit that Blaziken shines better ingame although

1 hour ago, RedAlert said:

I have to admit that Blaziken shines better ingame although

I'm going to try to use Artemis less (except against Fern: I will use ONLY her against Fern). That should help the other team mates get more EXP.

1 hour ago, RedAlert said:

I'll fight you until death on that one.

1 hour ago, FactoryofSadness said:

I'm going to try to use Artemis less (except against Fern: I will ONLY use her against Fern).

I'm okay with that; qualifies as a running gag.

6 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

I'm okay with that; qualifies as a running gag.

The only problem with Greninja, in Reborn is not getting a lot of TMs for him to abuse Protean. He gets very solid late-game though. Blaziken is stupidly OP from the start.

Charizard is the one and only King :D

Chapter 17: The Doctor gets Discharged

After a small hiatus, we continued on with our journey. I had decided to swap out Sonya Blade (Scrafty) for Clubber Lang (Pangoro) so he can get some experience. I'm thinking I could use some slower Pokemon when Radomus sets up Trick Room, and having Crunch can't hurt. Of course, I also found out he can get Shadow Claw, so hooray for coverage! Either way, Cain and I stumbled upon the old Yuyeyru building, only to find it crawling with Meteor goons. My poor fighting types stood very little chance against Golbat, but Cain's Nidoking was able to handle them. Overall, it was a nice team up.

We ended up finding the children! They were being held captive in that building. We decided to confront the person in charge of this operation, and...

...dear god, it's the doctor again.

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: I am not proud of this battle. It took way too many tries for me.

jp3GWZC.png

vVNhneR.png

You're going to find out that Discharge in this fight is the worst. Because of this, I decided to focus on Luxray in order to stop it from boosting Raichu's Special Attack. Sadly, Cain decided to ignore that advice, and just attack Raichu with a Shadow Ball. While Luxray was revived out by a Max Potion, Piston Hondo got KOd by Thunderbolt.

vgFZCbV.png

Luckily for me, I replaced Venoshock with Sludge Wave on John Cena. This brought the Raichu down to lower health, while a Shadow Ball sealed the deal. The camp then took a Thunder Fang.

tWMUh6x.png

Poor John Cena. Electivire's Fire Punch decimated the champ. Luckily for us, Nidoking got a critical Shadow Ball on Luxray!

JlSTqX4.png

...UNFORTUNATELY for us, this is where the discharge spam began. I got a critical Retaliate on Lanturn, but she countered with Discharge. This boosted Electivire's Speed, who KOd Nidoking with two Ice Punches while Lanturn healed.

TY2sjXB.png

Fortunately, Bruce Lee still beat Electivire (as their Discharge spam only KOd Samurott), and learned Close Combat! Sadly, he was still brought down by a Discharge.

3w06ONp.png

Grubba goes for a Fake Out on the Eelectross while Venomoth goes for a Signal Beam. Next turn, Grubba KOs the Eelectross with a Knock Off...

LWmD10d.png

...but then this thing comes out.

I really dislike Rotom. This is mainly because it's just too good. That fact especially applies here, as Discharge is able to easily KO both Mons (Grubba with a crit!)

rStuu0P.png

Of course, Clubber Lang is blown away. However, Muk does get off a Minimize.

HgHOiCs.png

Artemis gets off a critical Blaze Kick on Rotom, KOing it. However, Lanturn counters with a critical Bubblebeam...

...and now I'm stuck with Cain finishing the battle.

I really did want to start again, but I couldn't bring myself to putting up with that again.

JZVfNsq.png

Don't worry, that's my reaction to the fight, as well.

Next time, we will be finding a safe haven for the children!

Current Team

Spoiler

puUYyPF.png

Chapter 18: Serra Cracks

After we saved the children, we ran to their abandoned house, where they met Laura, an Elite Four member specializing in the grass type. While we were there, however, one of the children, Anna, fell ill. Because of this, we had to run into town in order to fetch her medicine. We ended up finding it, and...

YNMIDtS.png

You know, that's one of the last places I expected it to be.

It was on top of the gym of Serra, the ice type leader of Reborn. Of course, we were excited to take her on, but first, we needed to pick up an extremely important item:

Spoiler

RcdZFuW.png

This will make training much easier!

As we were traveling through the gym, we ran into Bennett, a creeper and son of Serra. He aspired to be a gym leader, so as such, he challenged us to a battle while El, a man looking for his daughter, looked on in the background.

Spoiler

NWROYcE.png

GoE1kww.png

The fight starts with Sonya Blade setting up Dragon Dance six times. Six crunches later...

Kyci8X3.png

"Bye bye, Butterfree..."

g72wqEd.png

With Bennett out of the way, we were set to take on Serra...

Spoiler

...correction: we were set to take on the field effects.

OzN3kfd.png

pEEc4AF.png

While the champ is hit with Frost Breath, he easily KOs with a Drain Punch.

WcJuq8d.png

Sonya Blade sustains heavy damage from Frost Breath, but KOs with Crunch.

es6WDVF.png

Grubba is able to tank the Frost Breath due to its Thick Fat ability and KO with Close Combat. This causes him to switch out.

VUVG4J2.png

In hindsight, I have no clue why I sent Hondo out here. He got blown away by Frost Breath, despite the fact it missed (curse you field effects).

sB6B23t.png

John Cena not only survives a Frost Breath, but hits hard with Drain Punch. This allows him to get Serra to waste the Ultra Potions and KO with Drain Punch.

TAf7Lyh.png

Another Drain Punch easily decimates the Aurorus.

88uiudQ.png

Here, Cena goes for a Sucker Punch. Unfortunately, because of the field effects (as well as Froslass's held item), he finally misses an attack, getting KOd by Shadow Ball.

VamHYlX.png

Fortunately, Grubba is one again there to clean up the job.

TNDq29b.png

While we were fighting, Bennett decided to leave with El in order to become a part of the Elite Four. You have to feel sorry for poor Serra, however. She lost her son, as well as the person she called her daughter. That can do major damage to the psyche, and I can't help but wonder what the real Serra was like in real life.

Next time, we will be delivering the medicine to Anna! Hopefully we can find the Pokemart soon!

Current Team

Spoiler

S2yKyfG.png

uqLCwDE.png

Chapter 19: Pure, Unbridled Power

After decimating Serra, we quickly went and retrieved the medicine needed to make Anna feel better. Strangely enough, however, she decided to use it on her doll instead. While this made everyone mad, it was still acceptable, as she seemed better. We were then offered to challenge Noel, who is the normal type gym leader of Reborn. As we were beginning, however, Saphira decided to arrive, giving us dangerous news:

Aj2vXMu.png

We quickly dispatched of the Meteor grunts, only to be challenged by Sirius himself.

Spoiler

28msnF2.png

gbl7qM7.png

Grubba begins the fight with a Knock Off. Unfortunately, the Chandelure gets in two Psychics, taking Grubba out.

MaYxY5V.png

John Cena finishes the job with Sucker Punch.

Emv2Zy9.png

A couple Blaze Kicks is more than enough to take down the Manectric.

UBhQr1p.png

Despite Hitmontop landing High Jump Kick, Bruce Lee manages to land the Counter, decimating it.

aMks5gG.png

Bruce Lee gets off one last Close Combat before Brave Bird destroys it.

7gqGyPu.png

Piston Hondo gets off one Fake Out before Brave Bird destroys him, as well.

hFmfVAv.png

Luckily, Artemis is there to clean up with a Blaze Kick.

49ItgQk.png

Sonya Blade manages set up a Dragon Dance before KOing with a couple Crunches. Unfortunately, Seviper poisons with Poison Fang.

cQxDktj.png

Probopass gets brought down to 1HP (CURSE YOU STURDY), and takes out Sonya Blade with Stone Edge.

sCfBIfg.png

Luckily, John Cena is there to clean up.

vZKSwUX.png

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is.

Unfortunately for us, Sirius gave us an ultimatum: either go after the doctor, or stop Sirius.

Spoiler

And frankly, I have gotten tired of choosing the same answer, so I said to stay with Sirius.

wi8PZQd.png

This does lead to Saphira coming in and scaring the crap out of Vegeta Sirius, however.

xXyCVRs.png

EcUJl9Z.png

Either way, we still failed, and were tasked to rescue our comrades in the Meteor base. There were many goons, and they all provided excellent experience. Piston Hondo (Medicham) even caught up with the team! We ended up in the heart of the base, where we discovered another PULSE machine.

tcbc0uu.png

Of course, we also saw that Lin, the "true leader" of the Meteors would arrive shortly, but honestly (and there's a rant coming up, so don't click spoiler if you don't care to see it)...

Spoiler

Lin is not my favorite villain. For me, after Solaris is set up as an interesting and threatening character, it's disappointing to me to hear that Lin comes out of nowhere and is now the most powerful, and for the reason of "just because". I would have liked it more if she was given a different introduction. Perhaps she could be a third party, stealing the pendants from the Meteors/main heroes (maybe she finds Radomus later)? That way, when Solaris fails against us at Amaria's house, Lin can come in and say "You are weak, and I can run this better than you," knowing full well they are looking to open the door, as well. A prideful Solaris could then give her control of a mission, specifically the one where the champion ends up dead. This would completely win over the trust of the Meteor Grunts, and after Solaris gets trashed by the Hydreigon, Lin could assume control. This could also set up a final Solaris fight at Victory Road, where he blames you for his failures and tries to defeat you one last time before ultimately working with you to stop Lin.

Of course, she's not a bad character. The way she is introduced does make her seem powerful. Look at her take on Saphira!

qeXbJWw.png

My only personal problem with her is that she comes out of nowhere.

Either way, we were teleported below the mountain, where we found a giant Steelix! Without hesitation, we were ready to...

...oh, who am I kidding, I can't be bothered to show the fight! Bruce Lee (Sawk) KOd the Steelix in one shot with Counter.

We ended up back at the base, where the Abra was completely out of control. ZEL even said that we could take out the PULSE in order to stop the Abra from misbehaving.

Spoiler

pKZK4go.png

d1pJw06.png

The battle begins with Piston Hondo getting off minimal damage with Fake Out. Afterwards, he gets blown away by Hyper Beam.

80jlNvC.png

Artemis uses one Blaze Kick before another Hyper Beam takes her out, as well.

j0b7oGJ.png

Grubba gets in one Knock Off before Hyper Beam takes him out.

g27mOxG.png

Luckily, a Drain Punch and Sucker Punch combo take out Abra!

As the Abra went down, Lin arrived. She decided to decimate the Steelix by herself. As we were running, however, we ran into another team member!

Spoiler

VyTGRXs.png

"You'd better stop this fight! You ain't nothin' but a bum!"

With our new team member, we decided to give him some training. What better way to give him training than against Noel, the normal type gym leader?

Spoiler

x2nWD2c.png

wB7W8ug.png

The fight starts with the champ having Noel waste Hyper Potions on Wigglytuff by going for Poison Jab. Wigglytuff is KOd, and the field almost fully heals John Cena.

7tgghz1.png

Hondo survives the Psychic and goes for a High Jump Kick.

zJuE1OY.png

After getting hit with Brave Bird, Bruce Lee survives with Sturdy and decimates with Counter.

qrvbxNk.png

Sonya Blade KOs with a couple Crunches, but gets paralyzed in the process.

6y90cwk.png

A couple Double Kicks takes out the Cincinno.

RJ1yiCw.png

John Cena loses a lot of health after getting hit by Hidden Power, but Clefable is also damaged by Poison Jab. This gives me an idea.

OISZI5y.png

Honda gets hit with Hidden Power, which doesn't KO. While the field is healing Clefable (along with Leftovers), Hondo sacrifices himself in order to heal John Cena (Toxicroak).

qyPMFSr.png

With Clefable at that health, two Poison Jabs is enough to finish the job!

gy8o4Zv.png

But wait, that's not all! We got an awesome evolution!
JLBOBVp.png

"THERE IS NO TOMORROW!"

We have officially received our next badge! Next time, we will be looking for Saphira!

Current Team

Spoiler

DVRM9j3.png

672HN0i.png