Translation?

Waynolt

Sooooo... what about translating this game?

Has our pixie-plate-powered-goddess ever talked about it?

Would it even be possible?
I know there's a lot to translate, but maybe even just as a community effort... there has to be community members who know more than one language and are willing to help.

We could coordinate and translate a part each... what do you think about it?

Imho it would make Reborn more accessible to a wider public, and maybe it would also be an interesting change for older members on their 325th run.

Edited by Waynolt

Well , if we begin to translate into 1 or 2 more languages, everyones will want to add their own language to the game. And english is the international language so i don't know. 

Just now, Zarc said:

Well , if we begin to translate into 1 or 2 more languages, everyones will want to add their own language to the game.

Yeah, well, that was kind of the idea: if you want your language in the game, then you can help make it happen.

Yeah i know , but it will be a lot of work. And not only on reborn in my opinion. If we begin to translate reborn , we will probably have to translate rejuvenation , desolation etc aswell , considering all the " international " fan games are only in english :) 

Edited by Zarc

• Global Mods

In the past, Ame has responded to questions of users asking if they could translate the game by saying that she's okay with it, but that it's best to wait until the final release to avoid having to re-translate past content every episode due to possible dialogue changes.

Oh that's a good idea, I was wondering the same thing. I guess I could help with a french translation, but there's several issues maybe? Like mention previously, the fact that the game is not finish yet (I don't really know how rpg maker works, as I think it was with this software that the game was made). I'm also wondering if people who would want to translate will really be able to do it. I mean it's not that easy to translate something (it's a job actually :P). The Pokemon names, item and other would be quite easy, but what worries me are the dialogues. Some characters have some expressions quirk, that would be quite hard to translate. I also think that in order to make a good translation (and that would be a pity to make a bad one, as maybe some peoples would discover the game thanks to it), we would need several translators per language maybe? But I think that would be an exciting thing to do!

Personally, I'd like to participate in such and undertaking. However, like ICSW said, it's best to wait till the game is completely finished, just because it will be a waste of time if you have to re-translate lots of dialogues. Things like moves and names shouldn't be translated in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the language. In Dutch, all the attacks sound like shit when translated

2 minutes ago, HongaarseBeer said:

Personally, I'd like to participate in such and undertaking. However, like ICSW said, it's best to wait till the game is completely finished, just because it will be a waste of time if you have to re-translate lots of dialogues. Things like moves and names shouldn't be translated in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the language. In Dutch, all the attacks sound like shit when translated

Oh really? For french, the moves names are ok, it's some Pokemon names that really sucks (especially as you go further into the generations, but I guess that would be true for every language).

But wouldn't it be weird to translate every but the moves?

3 minutes ago, Elanir said:

Oh really? For french, the moves names are ok, it's some Pokemon names that really sucks (especially as you go further into the generations, but I guess that would be true for every language).

But wouldn't it be weird to translate every but the moves?

The thing is (I think at least) that most people know the names of moves in English but as soon as it's translated to their language, they have no idea which move it is

Just now, HongaarseBeer said:

The thing is (I think at least) that most people know the names of moves in English but as soon as it's translated to their language, they have no idea which move it is

That's a good point I didn't think about!

If you guys want to get started on a translation though, I'd suggest actually working on an excel document to translate the game as many translators and localization teams use those before physically working on implementing them into the game. It is possible that there will be edits in the text as Ame revises the game, but most of those revisions already happened. The actual implementation though will have to wait until E19 or the final release as it does require A) A mapper with the skills to spot and replicate changes Ame has done on previous maps or B. completely redoing the entire translation with each episode.

You, guys, have my sword.

When it comes to this, we should probably stick to the convention of our native country: character names are usually not translated (and they shouldn`t be, but sometimes publisher decides to go for full localisation), but it is different when it comes to mon names. Moves also usually have 'official' translation, but their quality is often disputable.

This will all generate questions when on one day we will gather and decide to translate this game.

13 hours ago, Waynolt said:

Oh, alright then let's wait...

I think you are missing the idea behind localization. The actual implementation of all this stuff is probably less than a quarter of the work. Yes it's still work but the least important part. There are two types of translations: a literal and a localization. Literal is taking the text word for word to translate it. Localization takes the text and makes changes to it so people of the language understand and it reads more thoroughly. It also changes the pop culture references to something they'll click with better.

30 minutes ago, example said:

You, guys, have my sword.

When it comes to this, we should probably stick to the convention of our native country: character names are usually not translated (and they shouldn`t be, but sometimes publisher decides to go for full localisation), but it is different when it comes to mon names. Moves also usually have 'official' translation, but their quality is often disputable.

This will all generate questions when on one day we will gather and decide to translate this game.

I don't know what characters are supported with RPGMAKER, but it shouldn't be too difficult to localize all that stuff as it is mostly edits to the PBS which could be done easily and become open source.

As for character names, that is an interesting scenario. All league leaders are names based around their type so I'd say keep it, but changes to names should revolve around that idea.

But yeah, I'm telling you guys to consider getting what you can get done now ie translate the text so that you aren't overwhelmed. 50 percent of the new content in HC for E16 was built during E15. I'm actually working on E17 content during my free time right now. But so you guys understand better: In two or so years on the final release, would you rather be able to have five people a couple days after be inserting text into the game all at the same time or would you be trying to find a team who understands both languages to translate everything and try to insert it into the game all at once and making sure it is correctly translated and no grammar errors. The former already has that done except for replacing the text in the game.

Well, I've been thinking about it a little, and I think what Commander says make a lot of sense. Even only in term of quantity, there is a lot to do. I've been able to extract what I think is all the dialogues in the game, and there's a lot. (1 508 242 signs) Not sure there's actually everything, but well I don't know much about RPG Maker so I'm still learning. :P

I think if people are really serious about this, we could use this thread to gather people for different languages, see if there's enough to go on. I don't know about the others, but I'm not sure that's something I could do alone (I think you need other peoples to proof reading etc). There's also some specifics issues with each language.

2 hours ago, Commander said:

As for character names, that is an interesting scenario. All league leaders are names based around their type so I'd say keep it, but changes to names should revolve around that idea.

I agree that names should be kept (I actually hate translation of name, I think that's make no sense, and often it doesn't work very well.

By the way, if you're interested, there's the link to the method I used (you'll need RPG Maker XP, but there's a 30-days trial version) http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Translating_the_game I guess I would also be a way to include translations into the game, but that's another matter! I could also link the file, but I'm not sure I can do it on the forum?

52 minutes ago, Elanir said:

Well, I've been thinking about it a little, and I think what Commander says make a lot of sense. Even only in term of quantity, there is a lot to do. I've been able to extract what I think is all the dialogues in the game, and there's a lot. (1 508 242 signs) Not sure there's actually everything, but well I don't know much about RPG Maker so I'm still learning. :P

I think if people are really serious about this, we could use this thread to gather people for different languages, see if there's enough to go on. I don't know about the others, but I'm not sure that's something I could do alone (I think you need other peoples to proof reading etc). There's also some specifics issues with each language.

I agree that names should be kept (I actually hate translation of name, I think that's make no sense, and often it doesn't work very well.

By the way, if you're interested, there's the link to the method I used (you'll need RPG Maker XP, but there's a 30-days trial version) http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Translating_the_game I guess I would also be a way to include translations into the game, but that's another matter! I could also link the file, but I'm not sure I can do it on the forum?

That...is very convenient XD. I'd say that would help out quite a bit in terms of translating since you could always store it somewhere else to use it again. Sometimes I forget about some of the feature debug mode offers such as the battle log, but imo that log is only useful if the AI is really screwing up. Only thing that trying this would screw up is text flow.

21 hours ago, Commander said:

As for character names, that is an interesting scenario. All league leaders are names based around their type so I'd say keep it, but changes to names should revolve around that idea

While, say, ''Samson'' is not an issue, translating ''Shade'' is just too tempting. Also, there is not much here to be lost in translation, I dont think there is a point in changing 'Florinia' to a variation of 'Florentina' or so. And to translate ''Charlotte'' with reference to the fire means coming up with totally different name for me - not all languages are that flexible when it comes to names, so I guess it would be the translators decision.

On 2.07.2017 at 11:48 PM, Elanir said:

I mean it's not that easy to translate something (it's a job actually :P)

Sure, it will require a lot of effort, the volume of text is... challenging. Also, at last two people per lang would be good, for cross-check, liaising, proof-reading, etc. As for me, I`d do it in my free time - I used to translate abstracts, articles, speeches and such, both ways, so translating this would be actually relaxing and entertaining. 

On 7/4/2017 at 3:01 PM, example said:

While, say, ''Samson'' is not an issue, translating ''Shade'' is just too tempting. Also, there is not much here to be lost in translation, I dont think there is a point in changing 'Florinia' to a variation of 'Florentina' or so. And to translate ''Charlotte'' with reference to the fire means coming up with totally different name for me - not all languages are that flexible when it comes to names, so I guess it would be the translators decision.

As someone who knows Chinese I can tell you that translating European language based names into Asian languages is complicated AF.

I wouldn't be opposed the translation idea though, I would totally help do a Chinese translation since as of gen 7 there's finally official simplifies/traditional Chinese translations for all the Pokemon.

Some questions here: How will localization of character and location names fare with Eastern languages such as Chinese and Japanese? Should we keep them the same, or go find acceptable equivalents in the aforementioned languages?

I'm speaking from the POV of a translator who is currently translating Japanese games to Vietnamese (my native language). 

• 4 years later...