[IC] TotMV:G^2: Clash of Fate: The Armory (Social/Prep Phase)

Chevaleresse

She stayed silent. Hiroki's sobs were the only sound that filled the void. But as she stood there, with the girl huddling into her own shell yet again, memories came unbidden to her mind. Memories of the boy she had consoled when he'd gotten exactly like this, memories of the husband and father she had once loved so dearly who had helped her raise him... for the few years they had together before they took him away. Memories of the man she had met in the camps who had gone on to become her subordinate, and eventually, the one she had sworn herself too, second to their country and it's throne. Memories of the gentle-hearted child who had been just as horrified with his own power as those watching over them had been interested in it. Memories of the boy who had turned into a man nigh-grown with her nowhere to witness it. Memories of the boy who had been stolen from her by the very land she had spent her entire life serving, and then lied to her about his fate. Memories of the boy she had found in that throne room, on that fateful day. Memories of that boy who had become a monster, under their guidance. 

Spoiler

Memories of that boy who she would never hold again. Memories of the husband who had chosen honor and service over what they once had.

There were too many of them to count. And with each came its own unique jolt of anguish. Steel herself though she tried, she still found the heat of tears coming unbidden to her eyes. But she squeezed them shut, not daring to let any fall. Without a word, and unable to stand by any longer as the girl continued to weep, Ghost finally gave in to the maternal instincts that had gone so long suppressed since that day when her world had crumbled... and she reached out....

And she pulled Hiroki in close, and held her there, let the girl cry onto her shoulder.

Just as she had Ryder, once upon a time.... In another world, in another life.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friedhold:

Friedhold had a brief look of confusion on his face before he looked down at the canister and rotated it in his hand some, showing Dackly a label that read "White Phosphorus, Highly flammable and extremely dangerous, Handle with care.".

"I picked it up when we went to that black market.  I have six in total, I was hoping that you could help me convert one into something that can heal rather than harm.  If our last fight was anything to judge by, it will be more useful than the extra firepower."

He handed it over for her to look at more closely.

"If that cannot be done I would hope that you can make something else equally interesting with it."

Spicy HG:

She shrugged and shook her head some when Solomon apologized as if to dismiss his worries.

"It's fine."

She shrugged again when he mentioned not want to drag her around everywhere.

"It's not like I've got somewhere to be.  As for what I can tell you about myself hmm....Well to start my world is very different from any of the others I've been to.  Not that I could really tell you much about the current politics of my world, I've spent the last decade or so locking myself in a castle because of well....."  She trialed off with that, thinking for a few more seconds, "Anyway, I spent most of my time before then wandering across the countryside killing monsters, exploring dungeons, and working for the Guild, usually with a small group of other adventurers."

"How delightful, it combines my least favorite thing with my most favorite, Fire and Explosives, a naughty affair between war crimes and war fun."

Dackly hefts up the crackpot, before handing it off to Friedhold.

"It needs fuel, and I am running out of such a thing rather quickly.  My alchemical Crackpot can be fueled with anything of your choosing, provided you have a source of energy to power it, just dump the grenades in with something healing, and pour it out on the ground."

"It's Conceptual Magic, so don't overthink it, and have fun."

She says, getting back to carving through metal chunks with her fingernails, and shaping them like clay.

Edited by Hal Henderics

On 10/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, StormLord said:

Friedhold:

Friedhold had a brief look of confusion on his face before he looked down at the canister and rotated it in his hand some, showing Dackly a label that read "White Phosphorus, Highly flammable and extremely dangerous, Handle with care.".

"I picked it up when we went to that black market.  I have six in total, I was hoping that you could help me convert one into something that can heal rather than harm.  If our last fight was anything to judge by, it will be more useful than the extra firepower."

He handed it over for her to look at more closely.

"If that cannot be done I would hope that you can make something else equally interesting with it."

Spicy HG:

She shrugged and shook her head some when Solomon apologized as if to dismiss his worries.

"It's fine."

She shrugged again when he mentioned not want to drag her around everywhere.

"It's not like I've got somewhere to be.  As for what I can tell you about myself hmm....Well to start my world is very different from any of the others I've been to.  Not that I could really tell you much about the current politics of my world, I've spent the last decade or so locking myself in a castle because of well....."  She trialed off with that, thinking for a few more seconds, "Anyway, I spent most of my time before then wandering across the countryside killing monsters, exploring dungeons, and working for the Guild, usually with a small group of other adventurers."

Solomon simply stared at Spicy HG for a good long while before he finally said "So your past was a classic tale of bored royalty seeking adventure and excitement in the company of a ragtag group of adventurers...well I can't exactly blame the infinite multiverse for being a tad bit cliched some of the time.". He then floated up to a nearby work station before he plopped his golden breastplate on top of it. "Also I know that this is probably too forward of me, but if you don't really have anything to do right now...may I ask how much you know about refining magical items?".

Edited by Cronos5010

Spicy HG looked somewhat uneasy at Solomon's comment.  "Yeah, 'Bored Royalty', I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's not really important right now."

She followed him over to the workbench and leaned her glaive against the wall next to it.

"I haven't done it in a while, but you know what they always say, 'You can certainly try'.  So what are we working on?"

She looks at him inquisitively.

Solomon gestured at the pile of slightly melted gold before he said "Well I must say that I thank you for your help with dealing with all of that Eldritchness Ms. HG...but anyway is there anything in particular that you want to talk about?". He would sit back down on his considerably smaller throne of books immediately after saying those words.

Edited by Cronos5010

"You're very welcome." She says while rubbing one shoulder.

"I just wish I hadn't used what little power I've got left to do it.  Don't worry though, it'll regenerate later."

She stops and thinks for a moment, "You mentioned a patron, would that make you a Warlock or something?  Also what do you intend to do with the leftovers of this?"

She prods some with her finger at the still somewhat molten gold.

Solomon shook his head in response to HG's statement, and he gestured at the still molten gold before he said "I think I'll try to scrape some of it off later when it gets cold enough to handle, although considering everything it would probably be easier if you handled it a bit right now since you seem to be completely and utterly immune to fire and heat...I guess that's why they call you Spicy or something?". He would then slowly back away from the ruined experiment before he continued by saying "Also no I am not a Warlock, that implies something along the lines of me being incompetent at magic in general and trading something in  exchange for it...as opposed to simply getting the world's best kind of teacher on call pretty much all of the time". He then pulled out a clump of slightly melted chocolate coins before sighing at it. "Also while I would offer you something in exchange for your hard work...I can't really get you anything that isn't a book or possibly cursed right now".

Edited by Cronos5010

Spicy HG gives a slight smile at Solomon's first statement and replies in a sarcastic tone.

"Well that's the first time I've heard that one." 

She leans over to the mound of gold and squishes it into a much more compact pile, pulling most of it off the work surface in the process.  She talks while she works.

"On a more serious note, yes as far as I've been able to test fire and heat have no effect on me or anything I'm carrying."

She perked up some when Solomon mentioned books.

"A book you said?  What kind?  Because there's a difference between magic tomes and trashy romance."

She turns back to look at Solomon while picking a few bits of semi-molten gold off her hands.

Solomon scratched the bottom of his chin as he did his best to make a thoughtful expression when he said "Well that is quite interesting...although have you ever checked to see if your powers extended to cover the entirety of any living creatures you are carrying as well? Since while the answer is probably 'Yes I am not an idiot, please don't patronize me'. I think that would be a good thing to note just in case we end up having to fight yet another eldritch monstrosity of shadow and fire". He would then wait a few moments to try and let her reply before he inserted his hand inside of his shirt (rolled a 19)...and he proceeded to pull out a rather thick and leather bound book written in an old language that he actually couldn't recognize. 

Solomon's smile widened as he gingerly handed the book over to HG before he finally replied to her last statement with "Sometimes in the infinite expanse of the world's greatest library, there is no difference between a trashy romance novel and a tome containing fresh insights about the nature of magic".

Edited by Cronos5010

It took a while for Hiroki to calm down. It felt like forever from her perspective, but also like it was over instantly. When Ghost pulled her close, she instinctively clung to the woman, her arms wrapping around her before she could really even process what she was doing. She let out all the strangeness and frustration and fear from the last few days, the monsters and the burned lands and the men that had created both. The way her life had been on the line and the way she'd had to end another in order to save herself and the others. Finally, her sobbing slowed and eventually trailed off into sniffles.

"I'm, um . . . sorry. I was, um, just, scared and that fight was so horrible. . ."

Ghost shook her head.

"There's no need to apologize" She said softly "There's nothing to be ashamed for how you felt. Someone as young as you... shouldn't have had to experience any of that. The situation this party was gathered for... it's not something children should've been forced into. I don't know who chose, or how they chose, but..." 

The rage flared, just under the surface, and she nigh immediately cut off the train of thought, not letting the mellowed, soothing tone of her voice submit to the hellish contempt broiling in her heart. She again shook her head, this time, starting a new track

"Sometimes no matter how hard we try to end a conflict without bloodshed, the ones who would make quarrel with us simply won't listen to reason, or have no interest in ending things peacefully... and instead, they attack us, try to deprive us of what we've worked for. But you, myself, everyone, no matter who they are, has an equal right to try and live their lives in peace as best they can, find some sort of happiness. And when someone violates that universal right, tries to deprive us of it.... we have another right, one that's just as important. The right to defend ourselves, and the people and things we care about." 

If Hiroki was willing to break off at this point, Ghost would've let her go, then knelt to put them both at eye level as she spoke the next part. If she wasn't though, well Ghost wasn't going to force her off.

"War is always an ugly thing.... but sometimes, we have  to fight these types of battles, because someone else refuses to just let us live in peace. Those men who were attacking earlier, their commanders, those skeletons, they had all come here with the intent to deprive everyone in this fort and in the lands beyond here of those basic rights... and they weren't going to leave unless they either succeeded, or someone stopped them. You're absolutely right, though, Hiroki. It is horrible, beyond any shadow of a doubt. because no matter who starts it, no matter who ends it, it doesn't mean anything in the end. Because war never determines who is right, when the dust settles, only who is left.

But even still... none of that changes the fact that this is a lesson that someone who still has so much of their life ahead of them, shouldn't plucked out of their home and forced to learn so early. It is the elder ones, like myself and most of our other companions, who this type of responsibility should've fallen to. You've still got so much ahead of you, so much you can do, so much you can become.... and it is unjustifiably wrong that the precious life you still have might become tainted by the experiences here, Hiroki, that someone else be allowed to try and deny you the choice of what you might become. So.... if you don't want to fight anymore, after this, just say the word. There is no need to feel shame, none of you younger ones should've had to do this to begin with. If you wish to stop, I won't judge you for it, nor will I force you to fight in these next battles. And I swear I won't let anyone else force you to either."

And even before the words had left her, the utter resolve in her eyes and the strength with which she stood already lent an air of truth to the statement. Determination was an understatement to describe the feeling coursing through her very being- she fully intended to go toe to toe with any of the other commanders, especially the talking slab, if they had anything to say in protest about this. She had seen too many boys and girls, not really old enough to even be deemed young men and women yet, be made into emotional slag by the fires of wars they had no choice in participating in, because someone else had brought them to their door step and then even kicked down the damn door too. If she could save even one right now by being an Advocate for Hiroki- if she so expressed the desire not to engage in anymore of this madness -then she would in a hearbeat

"It's your choice, dear," she said "because you do have a choice in all of this. And I won't let anyone take it away from you."

Hiroki took a step back, dabbing at her eyes with her sleeve. She stayed quiet for a few long moments; for once, not out of shyness or an unwillingness to display some sort of weakness. "I, um. . ." She wasn't sure how to answer. Did she want to stay here and keep killing people? Not particularly. She preferred her arena matches, where nobody got hurt. Except for Tai. And Adam, but he deserved it. And herself. . . Hiroki shook her head. It wasn't the same. No one had died there. No one ever even got hurt long-term. Except Adam. . . She had been indirectly responsible for that, too. 

There was more to it than that, though. "I, um, think I have to. I don't want, um, to keep fighting and . . . killing people . . ." her voice shrunk a bit at that, before she pushed herself forward ". . . but it would be worse if I didn't help. Most people don't, um, have the ability to help. I do." She took a deep breath. "And I'm going to be one of the gods, because I'm not going to lose to anyone when I get back home." A note of anxiety re-entered her voice, only to leave in the latter half of the statement. "And a, um, god has to be able, um, to deal with this. So, um, I'm going to keep going."

There was a moment of silence, after she answered. Though she was taken aback by the answer, Ghost only nodded. Something flashed in her eyes for just a moment- almost like a knowing type of sadness, but before Hiroki could even question it, it was gone. As fleeting as a mid-summers dream. For just as she had seen those who had been overwhelmed by the flames, so too had she met the ones who tried to be strong, tried to bear the brunt of the inferno despite how mercilessly it scorched their bodies and souls. And it was always those youths that brought her the most worry... always left her guessing when the deeds were done and it was time to set off again, how they would hold up... where the path that, in at least someway, she had presented and never should've appeared before them, would take them.

"very....very well then," the old commander said "if... you truly feel this strongly about continuing... I will respect your decision. But just know, if you ever feel the need to talk again, about anything, you can come find me...alright? Don't feel like this is something you have to bear alone..."

Hiroki nodded. She still felt. . . off. Afraid. It showed in her posture, the way she still glanced around, still huddled to herself ever so slightly. But not the way she was. "I just think, um, that if I have this chance to um, actually help, that I should. So people don't, um, have to keep dying." She tried to stand up a little straighter, regardless of how she really felt about continuing to fight. She'd heard once that bravery was still doing something even though you were afraid to. So that made her brave, right? Even if she still felt guilty. . .

"And, um, thank you." It was hard for her to express how she felt about Ghost. It was odd; she didn't actually really know the woman. Hiroki still felt intensely grateful for her comfort, not that her words showed it well. She just. . . wasn't sure how to say it.

"Yes and no." Spicy said as an initial answer to Solomon's first question.

"Like I said, it works for my clothes and anything on my person, but it doesn't really work for anything I couldn't put in a pocket.  I can extend some protection to nearby friends and uh...followers"

The last bit seems a little forced, like she didn't mean to go that far but accidentally talked a little to much.

She raised her eyebrows in suspicious surprise when Solomon pulled out a large book that hadn't seemed to be there before.

She took the book and looked it over, giving a small smile at the side of her mouth before she spoke.

"Magic tome and trashy romance you say?  You're already making me feel like I'm back home again."

After opening the book and glancing over a couple pages, she didn't seem phased by the foreign language, but she didn't seem to be exactly taking the time to read it either.

"Ya know, I remember seeing a third entrance into the castle, maybe we should check for your friend there?

Solomon nodded in response to HG's before he said "So basically you are saying that if I became your friend or followed you around the place for a bit...then I just might gain the ability to inexplicably ignore the effects of fire? Because if so that sounds like a pretty sweet deal". And after he finished saying those words he would motion at an empty space near her...(rolled 36). Causing yet another small and floating throne of books to splutter into existence and slowly bump into her as if it was trying to convince her to sit on it. "Also I am honestly curious about what your world is like now. As I am pretty sure that no one else in this team would find being assaulted by an eldritch monstrosity before settling in to read a nice book provided by a queer fellow sitting on a throne made out of floating books to be quite...homely". He would then wait for her to lead the way...or to sit on the throne before he finally said "Also yeah we should probably do that...since it's probably more interesting than watching whatever is left off the gold cool down.".

Edited by Cronos5010

Once Friedhold began his own experiment with Dackly, Walmond took it as his time to leave, gesturing to Lambda to follow him as he turned and began to head away from the armory, taking out an old, yet fairly well kept journal, and pencil, jotting down notes of the results and what transpired with the creation process. This was something he was going to need to dwell upon, and attempt to recreate the results.

She nods back and says "That's not exactly how it works, but it's the short version."

After walking over and picking back up her glaive she carefully sits down on the floating throne.

"If this world and the other two I visited are anything to go off of, my home world is very hmm...eclectic I think would be the best way to describe it.  It's a very exciting place to see, and honestly most of the people around here would fit in almost seamlessly, baring some of the more...edgy people."

She directs her throne to the door and gestures with one hand.

"I also have no interest in watching gold cool, so let's go."

"You don't need to thank me dear...." was all the woman said, before the haze and the mist began to fade, and slowly but surely, the noise of the conversations and other nonsense going on in the area filtered back in. Again, that same something from earlier flashed in her eyes, and this time it stayed a bit longer before being replaced.... long enough for hiroki to have possible caught it; the weariness they held, the countless events they had borne witness to, the many regrets from said events and the few triumphs scattered in between, as if in that one single moment, the past five decades were all reflected at once. But more than anything, there was doubt.

Not doubt in regard to Hiroki though.... not that at all. Doubt for the one who possessed those slightly shimmering, crimson eyes that were looking back at her, even as the face they belonged too smiled reassuringly. 

"It's the least I can do. I'm afraid I have a few other things to see too though.

And like that, the look in her eyes was gone, and so too was the strange, alternate version of reality they had occupied up until then. The colors now returned in full, the mist totally gone, and the others voices continuing in full blast in the background as if nothing had ever changed.

"Remember, you can always come find me."

With that said, and a single nod to the girl, Clearly intended as a farewell for now, Ghost turned, and, true to her namesake, not only began walking towards the entrance of the armory to take her leave, but walked right through some of those gathered there who happened to be in the way. One had to wonder, was she even really a true part of any world they visited, for her to be able to ignore their physical boundaries so easily?

Hiroki wasn't entirely sure what to do after Ghost left. She felt a bit better, if only because she'd actually resolved to do something. The terrible swirling feeling of guilt and fear was gone for the moment, though the idea of the upcoming battles made her nervous. Mostly, though, she was tired. Her mech did most of the work of fighting, but it was mentally exhausting, and the stress of the battlefield wasn't exactly relaxing and energizing. The barracks was rather crowded at the moment, so the girl simply sought out a storeroom. The cloak that she still carried with her was turned into a makeshift blanket to lay on top of as she curled up in a corner, trying to catch a bit of rest before the next fight.

Dackly, after having waved off everything else, finally begins her last project.  Her eye is starting to ache from tiredness, and a yawn escapes her lips.

Gozer dumps out a pile of Armor, Weapons and Metal Scraps, which Dackly looks lovingly at, before beginning to shape the hard steel with her bare hands as though it were soft putty.

Before long, 9 Gleaming steal Halberd Heads sit before her, shaped like Hawks, with Winged Blades, Beaked Spearpoints, and a set of Talons gripping a steel ball hammer.

She attempts to bless them with Nyx's Power, sacrificing her remaining Emeralds.

"Nyx, hear my call, I beg of you! Well, not begging, you know, Like, Asking, I guess? Politely, of course.  And here's some stuff."

Her reverent call rings out, but something is wrong.

The halberds glow with darkness for a moment, before exploding in a blinding light.

One of them flies towards her, along with the rest of them flying around.

It takes her a moment to realize they are chasing the torches littered around the room, before she flings spears of darkness at the halberds, wreathing them in the blinding energy.

"Fucking Wrong Numbers!"  she shouts to the heavens, picking up the darkness embroiled weapons.

She dumps one of the weapons into the crackpot, along with an angry skeleton, which she rips out of a pocket in her vest.

The weapon and skeleton melt into liquid, which she pours onto the Knuckles of Flaming Gauntlets which she made previously.

The result is horrific.

She uses the remainder of her metal to construct a giant Hawk made of steel, it is posed as though in a dive, and a metal chain is connected in such a way as to open it's mouth when pulled.

She shoves the Halberds in it, before attaching the Gauntlets to one another.  They chase after the light their own flames make, causing them to spin rapidly like a saw.

She shoves that in there too.

Hefting the Giant Clanking Monster over her shoulder, she aims it as though prepared to unleash it, before letting out a large and loud silent Grin.

"This should kill something." she whispers, a small tear of awe escaping her eye.

Unbeknownst to her, one of the halberds had actually escaped, clonking a soldier in the head nearby.  He's on the ground unconscious now.

"What do you guys think?"

• 4 months later...

Solomon hadn't noticed that Lena was following him when he made a short detour to watch Dackly's experiment uhh...something catastrophically, before he went over to have some rather hushed words with the snake woman about a few choice items, her crackpot, and whether or not she could make the spear 'Less likely to kill the person wielding it if they are not used to the idea of having someone else inside of his head.'.

He finally noticed Lena's presence in the corner of his eye when he looked around the place before he slowly started to float towards the armory once more (although this time with both Dackly and Gozer in tow), and he turned his throne around to say, "Oh right, the tour....well if you'll follow me then I am going to show you where the armory is before I spend a little time with the irreplaceable Dackly and Gozer," he swiftly gestured in their direction before he continued with, "To try and make this spear more deadly to the opponent than it is to the wielder." He then kept silent as the three of them presumably exchanged whatever pleasantries they wanted to exchange on the way over to the armory.

In all honesty the crafting operation itself could be best described as Solomon reading out loud some hopefully helpful advice from a book he found in his pocket as the people who actually understood how the crackpot worked pretty much did all of the actual work. Although he was the one who volunteered to see if they accidentally made another eldritch item that wanted to kill him specifically by grasping the spear in both hands, and he smiled warmly at Dackly after he realized that the voices coming from the spear were more infrequent, and not actively attempting to drown out his own thoughts anymore.
"I actually expected this to go horribly wrong somehow."

Lena was not particularly excited about what she was seeing, buuuuut... well, she couldn't exactly voice a protest, and everything seems to have turned out fine in the end, so she calms down a little and circles around to try to remind him that she does, in fact, exist, by entering his line of sight.

Solomon continued to smile warmly at everyone around him while he held his golden spear...it was rather unnerving actually, and he inclined his head down slightly to get a better look at Lena before he said, "Yes hello, I know that you are there Lena I was just a bit...preoccupied with something else at the moment, but anyway do you have any questions about the armory? Or should we move on towards another part of the castle?."