Abusing Field Effects

phoenica

Did anyone try using team that would change any field on anyfight to it's advantage?
For example:
Playing Almost Mono fire team and using grass field + firemove to permanently change it to burning field.
Or playing Mono Poison and using GrassField move + Sludge Weave OR Mist Terrain move and Smog

If yes, how good this strategy is against gym leaders?

Or is it viable in reborn hardcore?

Edited by phoenica

• Global Mods

Yes this is a great strategy if you have the moves for it, especially against gym leaders as their teams very much utilize their fields. the same should be true for most of hardcore at least. alternatively, you can temporarily override any field with one of the terrain moves, which is pretty damn cheesy in my opinion but it works. another option in certain cases is to use the field as well of better than the opponent, such as one of my fondest battle memories from my reborn run: sweeping the fire gym with eruption. Full HP+STAB+Flash Fire+Field Boost just minced them. might've had sun up near the end too.

Edit: thought you Just meant using the inbuilt potential changes of each field. having a reliable way to override a field and then permanently transform it into something even more favorable sounds even stronger, and should neuter almost any tough fight that uses field well.

Edited by DreamblitzX

The problem with this strategy is, that in order to change any given field that way to your advantage you need to have at least 2 mons, since there is no pokemon that can use both move to create new permament field >_<

So in singles i would have to for example use grass terrain, and than switch fast(grass terrain lasts for ~3 turns) to other pokemon that can than use firemove to burn it. That's why i'm wondering if it's worth a hassle :D

Edited by phoenica

In Reborn it's mostly useful against leaders. Noel is a prime example of gym leader with a field that can easily be turned against him, provided you have the mons and moves for. Shelly works that way too.

Building a team that revolves around abusing fields is impossible for every fight though, unless you rotate like crazy and do a lot of grinding.

Unless a field gives me a significant disadvantage (Hello Charlotte on Ice-Mono), I generally just try to power through the fields effects. Samson? Just try to bulk the Whammo! Attacks.

However, I do keep someone on my team that can induce Mist, generally to empower my Ice and Fairy attacks as well as neutering other fields. So yeah, it is a good idea to have someone that can manipulate the fields, if possible.

In Reborn it's mostly useful against leaders. Noel is a prime example of gym leader with a field that can easily be turned against him, provided you have the mons and moves for. Shelly works that way too.

Building a team that revolves around abusing fields is impossible for every fight though, unless you rotate like crazy and do a lot of grinding.

It is possible thought :D

Like i said in OP you can use grass field move + sludge wave move, to change ANY field into permanent poison field :D

If you play mono poison you will have advantage in every fight that way :D

Edited by phoenica

Having a field ready specifically designed to help you out is a brutal advantage which you've probably already experienced against most gym leaders. I remember someone mentioned on here that Roserade with its Grassy Terrain was essential for his poison monotype run. Misty Terrain, Mist and Grassy Terrain all last for 5 turns, so unless your opponent has a way of destroying or changing the field as well, you'll have ample time to get it transformed. So yeah, if you can choose your place to fight, you'll be definitely stronger.

On the other hand building a team to fully abuse every field effect is almost impossible and at the very least impractical. Sure you get a lot of boni but field effects vary quite a bit on a set path. Take exploring Citrine Mountain for an example. You'll need to be able to abuse the icy cave, water surface and underwater respectively. Not to mention the field effects outside the area you'll have to get through. Plus most bosses and wild encounters play on their hometurf so going up against it with a team that profits as well tends to be quite the mirror match, not really giving you an edge and the trainers who are in the wrong hood usually tend to be pushovers anyway, so why would you need the edge there.

However transforming the given field into something you're good on turns the tables once again, leaving the boss weakend while at the same time empowering you. Problem is you'll need a huge variety of Mons and Moves as Alistair already stated and carrying them all on one rotation will probably hinder you (though I haven't tested that). Brute force tends to be more flexible and work a lot better.

There are some moves who are quite versatile on a number of fields though. Picking those up will enable a number of shennanigans. The Ace-of-all-trades for this is Nature Power, followed closely by Secret Power. But those along the lines of Smack Down, Heat Wave, Blizzard, Earthquake or Strength have a decent amount of use as well.

While abusing field effects to your advantage is good, sometimes the after effect of the fields could also hurt you. I remembered when I used fire against Corey and all grounded Pokes are hurt when switched in. Even though I avoided being poisoned and Venoshock abuse, the corrosive terrain after that also power ups his Pokemons. With Noel, corrosive field sure can chip down bit of his tank normal types while removing the heal effects.

Bringing rosters than can change terrains to your advantage strategies is good but for me it's quite difficult to find a good timing for switching considering how high the stats of Gym Leaders' Pokemons and it could be one shot on switching in.

So, it's either adapt to the terrain, take advantage of it and fight fire with fire or just destroy the field. At least, that's what I would do...

24b2cda35651d8b4cec2d40e8f0ff78c.jpg

ORAORAORAORAOROAROARAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA !!!

It is possible thought :D

Like i said in OP you can use grass field move + sludge wave move, to change ANY field into permanent poison field :D

If you play mono poison you will have advantage in every fight that way :D

Sure you're absolutely right but what are you gonna do if the opponent runs mono Poison or mono Steel? Besides, your foe may have field-changing moves too.

That's what I meant when I said you couldn't do it for every fight. Sorry for not making it clear :unsure:

I've done it heavily in Rejuv so it of course would work just as well in Reborn.

Here is a good example of the condition I set up that made the encounter much easier:

Love doing stuff like this. Its the main reason I think fan games are the way forward for Pokemon. The extra level of difficulty these fields can add are just insanely engaging.

• Global Mods

My Sylveon has Misty Terrain. Whenever I'm in a field where I don't like my odds or need the opponent to do less damage, I use Misty Terrain. I did this against Terra due to Dark and Fairy type moves becoming Normal in the Glitch Field, making me unable to hit Claydol or Garchomp super effectively.

Some people mentioned the new field possibly being able to disadvantage you too, or opponents changing the field back, which are both things to look out for, but that never happened to me with Misty Terrain. Misty Terrain doesn't have any disadvantages to the user like how some fields will damage Pokemon at the end of the turn that aren't a specific type, and the moves that end the field or change it to Corrosive Mist are rarely seen. I've never had an opponent change it.

cyanerd.gif

I offer this gif as proof that burning is great.

That video against Solaris Garchomp will always be priceless.

What I can say about abusing field effects is that the Rainbow field can create quite the amusing effects.

After all:

* Sonicboom deals 140 flat HP damage (Rainbow field)

That can let you cheap a good amount of fights tbh~

I do!! i run with mono psychic + misty terrain team.. it works well, but sadly only limited to 5 turns.. i have pokemon that know fire pledge too, to transform forest field (that will incerase bug power) to fire field... xD

Hells yeah. I don't necessarily go out of my way to get mons that can abuse field effects, but I try to have at least one or two 'field-changer' moves somewhere on my team, depending on what's convenient. And in my canine-themed run at least, thanks to Arcanine, any field that can be set on fire probably will be set on fire eventually.

I didn't use any field affecting moves but I've found out that the Glitch Field has a major exploit.

It turns Fairy moves into Normal type right? But it does it before Pixilate takes effect so it converts it to normal and then Pixilate turns it right back to Fairy so you end up with a Pixilate boosted Stab Fairy move.

Makes Terra a walk in the park.

In certain cases field changing moves does help as well to change the terrain. It's only used rarely in certain situations where a field is giving you a strong struggle and needs to change it so it fits better to suit you on the field. I think the only fields I triggered to change was the electric field,volcano field (that was hell especially if you're dealing with a ninetails with drought ability), darkness and a rainbow field. Try to set it to your advantages as much as you can . The gym leaders have mons that can alter the field back to it's original terrain. That's how I use it.

• Global Mods

Does anyone know if the Rainbow Field effect of doubling secondary effect chances stacks with serene grace? even if it just adds the base% again without doubling the serene grace portion it should be possible to get 100% flinch chance.....

So many fights can be made or broken depending on how well you deal with the field effect. As have been stated there are some go to moves that are reliable in most scenarios, with of course Nature Power being the end all be all. I have a fond memory of my 2nd and now current file where Kiki was absolutely devastating my team...Until I realized Nature Power turns into a +3 Meditate, and then I proceeded to sweep her sorry butt with Nature Power/Flame Charge Typhlosion. I still use Typhlosion to this day just because Fire is a spammable STAB, a VERY useful Hidden Power Electric, and Nature Power's utility being nearly unparalleled.

My best advice to anyone struggling to wrap their head around the Field Effects: pick 3 mons at most on your team to be your go to field effect mons. Be they disrupting the field, abusing the field, or setting up your own field. I did this in my Mono Poison run with Roserade/Venusaur/Dragalge. Two of them can set up Grassy Terrain, and the other will gladly spread venom with Sludge Wave to make the field a poisonous one.