Can Rejuvenation be taken down like Pokemon Uranium was?

Gardevoir4president

Hello my fellow Poketards,

Version 8 has been out a while and my consciousness has finally given me a break about choosing the wrong twin to side with (potentially wrong at least). Milktank( can we get one or not xD ) and Slakoth continue to evade me and i'm not sure if we know every about Darchlight woods either since the NPC's hint about talking to 30 people to spawn a legendary. So after running around doing stuff and grinding some Pokemon I thought about how great the game was, then i thought about how Pokemon Uranium was being praised endlessly (by people who have never played Pokemon since GBA was a new thing, i assume) so naturally i thought about how Nintendo had the game taken down for copyright. Whats stopping them doing this for Rejuvenation,Reborn,Insurgence etc.

Is Rejuvenation safe? Why did Nintendo choose to start with Uranium when all the other games have been out for longer? Does anyone else have thoughts they want to share? I would love to hear what you think and maybe find out from some of the Executives over here whats keeping Rejuvenation safe.

See you in the Replies :0

Uranium simply got too much attention, one could argue that it being featured on Kotaku sealed its death warrant.

It also focused on fakemon too, maybe that also played a factor into it. Nintendo probably decided it didn't need a fangame with fakemon upstaging their own efforts to the point where kids somewhere mistake Uranium's Pokemon as being real.

Can it get taken down, yes. Legally, Nintendo can issue cease and desist to any Pokemon fan game that's made, as much as that sucks. Will it happen? Probably not in the foreseeable future. Uranium was getting a lot of press, like the Metroid Two remake, which basically forced Nintendo's hand in a way. Reborn and Rejuvenation are more obscure that Uranium, so I would't worry for now.

It's like worrying about getting hit by a car. It can always happen, but it doesn't do you any good worrying about it in a crazy manner.

Can it get taken down, yes. Legally, Nintendo can issue cease and desist to any Pokemon fan game that's made, as much as that sucks. Will it happen? Probably not in the foreseeable future. Uranium was getting a lot of press, like the Metroid Two remake, which basically forced Nintendo's hand in a way. Reborn and Rejuvenation are more obscure that Uranium, so I would't worry for now.

It's like worrying about getting hit by a car. It can always happen, but it doesn't do you any good worrying about it in a crazy manner.

You make some good points, I suspected Nintendo would have employees who search for fangames and assumes they knew about all of them and that uranium was only the start

uranium was known to be in the making for years. so much information every time things got changed in updates, but it wasn't serious enough. When the whole game was released it got so much attention because everyone was downloading it. with sun/moon coming soon and people were downloading a completed pokemon game for free Nintendo probably thought that no one would buy sun/moon so they asked them to take it down. Rejuvenation is popular but its not completed yet. So we're safe (I hope) it will probably take a while before rejuv gets completed and gets Nintendo's attention like uranium did

Edited by Jmanultrax1

I mean yeah any fan-game can be taken down, but my god am I sick of everybody freaking out due to the Uranium take down. It didn't get taken down but Nintendo was going to DMCA if they didn't take down the links. Yes Rejuv can get taken down, but it's going to fall after Zeta, Insurgence, Dark Rising, and Reborn all get taken down which nintendo really hasn't seen interest in doing. Nintendo's been trying to stop fan-game makers for years. Like since 2005 or something, and they'll keep doing stuff for as long as they exist.

• Veterans

and Nintendo strikes again. all jokes aside I was looking forward to more updates

I don't think it was the fault of Nintendo for this decision.

In all seriousness, do remember that people create their own realities (you know how it is with getting jinxed), so try not to talk or think about it too much. The chances that either Reborn or Rejuvenation get taken down are relatively slim as they haven't drawn even half the attention that Uranium got, as well as their popularity having gradually risen rather than Uranium's popularity having spiked in 2-3 days.

And as someone who's making a game as well, I'm also taking a risk by making a fangame as making one is in a very grey zone of fanworks of something, so when deciding to make one, it's very much possible that my game gets a takedown notice as well. This is a risk that a game creator takes and accepts to take from the moment they start working on it. Refusing to accept these risks is simply a matter of not being ready or able to face the consequences if a similar situation as Uranium happens.

Jan knows about this, Ame knows about this, and if it ever does occur that the game gets a takedown notice, they'll be fully prepared for it. But right now as things are, the chances that these games get taken down is just very, very small, so it's better to not worry and think about it all the time until the time comes that there's a popularity spike.

I don't think it was the fault of Nintendo for this decision.

In all seriousness, do remember that people create their own realities (you know how it is with getting jinxed), so try not to talk or think about it too much. The chances that either Reborn or Rejuvenation get taken down are relatively slim as they haven't drawn even half the attention that Uranium got, as well as their popularity having gradually risen rather than Uranium's popularity having spiked in 2-3 days.

And as someone who's making a game as well, I'm also taking a risk by making a fangame as making one is in a very grey zone of fanworks of something, so when deciding to make one, it's very much possible that my game gets a takedown notice as well. This is a risk that a game creator takes and accepts to take from the moment they start working on it. Refusing to accept these risks is simply a matter of not being ready or able to face the consequences if a similar situation as Uranium happens.

Jan knows about this, Ame knows about this, and if it ever does occur that the game gets a takedown notice, they'll be fully prepared for it. But right now as things are, the chances that these games get taken down is just very, very small, so it's better to not worry and think about it all the time until the time comes that there's a popularity spike.

That's a mighty fine response.

• Global Mods

I think there were several factors working against uranium when it came to the taking down.

-The obvious one was the publicity it got, Nintendo couldn't exactly feign ignorance there

-Fakemon, but not just Fakemon, Mixing fakemon with realmon and using realmon cries for fakemon.

-Use of music from the official games

But what do I know?

• Global Mods

I think there were several factors working against uranium when it came to the taking down.

-The obvious one was the publicity it got, Nintendo couldn't exactly feign ignorance there

-Fakemon, but not just Fakemon, Mixing fakemon with realmon and using realmon cries for fakemon.

-Use of music from the official games

But what do I know?

+the massive popularity came a few months before Sun and Moon where they're trying to get people hyped for SM.

the game wasn't shut down at all, in fact, they explained the situation: they themselves just removed the download link from their site because they appreciated nintendo and yadda yadda. but there are still links out there, in fact, i downloaded it last week (still haven't played it because im not all convinced by the fakemon idea (there is literally one that is half titanic half iceberg) and am around here).

Edited by iskelion

• Global Mods

the game wasn't shut down at all, in fact, they explained the situation: they themselves just removed the download link from their site because they appreciated nintendo and yadda yadda. but there are still links out there, in fact, i downloaded it last week (still haven't played it because im not all convinced by the fakemon idea (there is literally one that is half titanic half iceberg) and am around here).

They removed the download links because they appreciated nintendo (and the site hosting the links got DMCA takedown notices to remove the links)

Fangames definitely fall into a very big grey area. Technically fan art on copyright material falls under "fair use" in most countries, and if I remember correctly, international copyright agreements. However, the direct use of copyright materials, such as the art, maps, sound, etc. would fall under legitimate grounds for a copyright violation.

If the developers used all original art, music, code, and so on, even if it's all cannon, Nintento would have less chance of getting a legitimate copyright infringement claim as all parts of the game could then fall under "fan art" fully.

In other words, if all the pokemon designs in Reborn/Rejuvination, all the cries, sound effects, tile sets and any other asset were all replaced with fan art versions, then Jan and Ame could make a counter claim that the games are fully fan art and have a chance of making it stick as they would not be directly ripping off any copyrighted material in that case. That's still not a guarantee, but it's still better then with direct use of copyright protected material.