Best Starter to choose in Reborn?

Grelliebean

• 1 month later...

Well..since I've replayed the game many times..don't choose snivy, you'll have a problem with it in the second and third gym (Florinia and Corey respectively), I used to have a shiny torchic, adamant nature with really good ivs (I think it had speed boost but I really don't remember now) but I had a huge problem in corey's gym..um I chose fennekin now and it's a good choice, charmander can be good too. Idk about froakie though, you'll have a little problem with florinia for sure, but it's a versatile pokemon. I hope I helped a bit.

Lel charmander worst? You do realize spaming Dragon Fire (or whatever its called) is dealing 40 dmg every try? So its sonic boom twice in once.... First and second gym easy as fck.... if u are talking about reborn lel :D

Didnt pick blaziken yet but one of the best mons for me are Swampert (yea little disadvantage with 4x grass ) Charizard , Fenneking :)

my two faves are chespin and torchic, both for their broken hidden abilities

sboost has been discussed. come in on the right mon, boost, and bruce lee everyone

bproof iirc makes you immune to acid spray and flo's field boosts pin missle, letting you gain a nice advantage there, along with resisting Sand Tomb and being immune to brelloom's Spore

and of course a bulky grass is excellent vs. julia, esp. with rollout.

however, you pay for it in the next 2 gyms, (poison and bug), but by then you have a wide range of choices

Alright alright alright.

Easy Mode

Speed boost Blaziken is easy mode. It learns Bulk Up and will help an inexperienced player for his first playthrough

Greninja is awesome and very versatile. Sure can turn a battle upside down thanks to its insanely high Speed.

Next is Swampert. Good bulk, nice moves, a bit hard to find STAB that is actually useful (at some point you get Brine but meh), and defeats gyms gg ez

Empoleon is another cool mon, since it has an awfully easy time against most leaders. You'll need to pass the first two before that.

Infernape is another Blaziken without the speed boosts. Fast on its own, hard hitter with Iron Fist, gets the job done.

Normal mode:

Venusaur

Charizard

Feraligatr

Typhlosion

Sceptile

Torterra

Emboar

Serperior

Delphox

Chesnaught

Hard mode:

Blastoise

Meganium

Samurott

Just a thing to note.. While Speed Up + Bulk Up Torchic/Blaziken are in fact amazing, and can sweep many gyms, the main problem lies in the fact that Blaziken is otherwise kinda weak, with a decent speed and frankly, terrible defensive and offensive stats.

And therefore against anything it can't set-up against its useless. Be wary of this, when Blaziken shines, it's amazing, but in many situations it can also be very useless.

Otherwise, remember to be open minded with trying new strategies, look for Pokémon in unexpected places, remember that after you've gotten your 3rd badge you can face some trainers in the Main Hall whom you can rebattle. And finally, Ampharos is our god and savior, and you should get one and use it.

Mudkip is always a good choice. Damp + the ground typing is pretty useful early game. Iirc it gets rock slide around Shelly which is useful. Swampert is just a monster, especially after it gets Earthquake.

Although I found Charmander to be better overall than mudkip from running through the game. Flying/Fire is a pretty good typing, with access to dragon rage which makes early game easy and serves a good purpose for pushing red health mons to faint has been super useful.

I'm really liking Bulbasaur. Leech Seed + Big Root/Black Sludge has been amazing. Haven't completed the game with him yet but I'm looking forward to it. The poison typing is really useful for absorbing toxic spikes that the enemy seems to love to throw around.

i see many ppl mention greninja, tho its not really anything special in-game, not even with protean. i think they jump to conclusions from the competitive scene yea it has some variety of moves but thats it

also charmander line is not only good early game, but later too. I have solar power and sunny day on my charizard, and its heat wave does obscene amounts of damage

Edited by DemICE

When I did my second play-through of reborn I picked turtwig and it put in the work for the first 3 gyms. It ate up Julia's helioptile attacks and i spammed curse and blew everything back with razor leafs. And for Corey lvl it up to lvl 32 to get torterra and EQ and the only problem mon for him is crobat.

Edited by WSGreen

• 5 years later...
On 7/10/2016 at 6:49 AM, Garnet. said:

dont listen to them theyre all clowns

the best starter is clearly mudkip because julia is the first gym leader, who specializes in electric types and mons that go boom and drinking coffee way too much, so what youre gonna want to do is reset until your mudkip has the damp ability which prevents julia from going boom on it, and then youre going to want to evolve it so it gets that clean ground typing and mud shot and then julia, having run out of options immediately forfeits and you get the badge super easy

make sure to like comment and subscribe, follow me on twitter @pentimentou for more reborn hacks :]

(like mde said though, they're all good. mudkip is pretty easy to run thru julia with, but you also get the opportunity to get it later on, with a few others. idk who specifically but i know mudkip and tepig are two mons you can get as gifts)

wait what do you mean by reset?