Pokemon XY and XY&Z. Did the Pokemon Anime get better?

wow, just wow. all this hype just to crush peoples dreams of him winning a league for one. It honestly wouldn't hurt for him to win one, and then lose when he faces the E4, because you know, when you beat all the E4 you then fight the champion. But my personal feelings aside, I didn't really think they would make him win because ash still needs to fight alain one more time. When ash finds out that alain was part of team flare and that they attacked the city/ plan to destroy it, he will fight him again then. (plus rumour that he might beat him on that fight and alain might be disqualified for his participation in the attack) so im looking forward to next weeks episode where it looks to be pretty amazing

Look at that 30sec trailer. Ash gets captured by Flehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhd. There's a scene of Alain's eyes shadowed and Ash going "Alain, what are you doing? At dis rate, all of Lumiose will be destroyed" or something like that. You also see Serena trying to help from a helicopter, a teary-eyed Yuriika and a shiny mega gyarados that Ash is going to be fighting. Rather than keep the spotlight on Ash vs Alain, I think they'll shift it to Ash vs Alain vs Lysandre (or Ash + Alain vs Lysandre)

To me, the scene with Alain not helping Ash but having his eyes shadowed means either that he's having a mental dilemma about what to do because he has a hard time accepting that he got duped and might still think Flehhhhd has good intentions, or that maybe he's forced to do nothing because they are technically more or less holding Chespie (maybe Mairin too) hostage, what with it being in a comatose state and all. I don't believe he will stay on Flehhhhd's side for long, but anyway, I think the following might happen:

Ash gets a regional recognition for his help in saving Lumiose from Flehhhhhhhhd , and possibly Alain handing him the trophy because he deserves it more or something like that. I don't see further point in Alain and Ash fighting. They already fought and Ash lost vs mega zard x. Even if they have another 1v1 showdown, I wonder, would you all really be satisfied ? It wouldn't retcon his loss so better focus on what's ahead - which is having to fight a giant zygarde megazord

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash is never gonna win a league, since the writers think that somehow if he wins something important they can't use him anymore. He's always gonna be a punching bag when it comes to the league. They're probably gonna have him beat Alain in the Team Flare Arc and go like "See, it's just as good as winning the league!". They even brought back the BW writers for this mess. There's no tension when you know no matter how good things are looking the hero can never win when it really matters, Ash is a perpetual failure and at this rate it'll never change.

Also, Brock was right:

Edited by Personthing

• Veterans

Now that I've been able to look at it a few times again, I can confidently say the following: At this point, I honestly feels like this cements Gen 6's current title of being the most disappointing generation of them all. The buildup was great, they brought him farther than any other seasons of the anime did, and then they ruined it all in the greatest anti-climax in the series yet. It's unbelievably disappointing and heartbreaking. Ash-Greninja was OVERPOWERING Diantha's Gardevoir only for him to go and lose to Alain, and it wasn't even like, Greninja fell just a second earlier than Charizard. Charizard was shown to have still been able to continue fighting for quite a while. Why...just why.

All this hype. And for what? To play with the fan's feelings? I was really starting to like this anime and then they pull a stunt like this. Wtf? I guess the writers don't care about Pokemon's 20 year anniversary. At least give Ash a ribbon or some shit.

What I imagine the creators of the episode are thinking right now if they're reading the reception to the battle's resolution:

2vds2fk.png

In seriousness, while I admit I haven't watched the episode (Or in fact the anime since the second season), I did hear about Ash's failures to win a league tournament. I for one agree with the opinion that they should have given Ash the win just for the sake of finally giving him a break. I mean he's been in how many regions so far? Give him a win for once!

Edited by Anstane

• Veterans

Some more post episode stuff. So when we cut to seeing Alain after the battle, we see Ash in the reflection of his Poke Ball, an interesting detail in my opinion. Considering what we saw in the scene prior. Ash lost, but was surrounded by all his friends and despite his defeat and seemed somewhat optimistic while Alain was all alone in a dark room, without anybody there but him. The reflection of Ash seems to show more of how they're supposed to be foils to one another, opposites, which has been a common theme. Alain pursued nothing but power and look how he looked in the end. Still empty, he had no purpose which is one of his flaws. He had the power but no purpose, while Ash had the purpose but not the Power. I can kinda see where they were going with this, but they had the entirety of the league to use. Why didn't they capitalize on that? They could've shown it gradually and then during the climax, brought that to a close before bringing Alain's character arc to a close as a whole during the Flare Arc. It's good writing but timed poorly.

• Veterans

Earlier this week: Oh shit, the buildup, THE HYPE. They've outdone themselves, FINALLY, VICTORY! Alain's arc will finally come to an end and we can all rest happy, knowing that after 20 years, he's FINALLY DONE IT.

Today: Fuck sake.

I must say, though that regardless of how I feel about the last episode, I genuinely did enjoy this season for the characters and the animation.

Purely from a visual standpoint, most of the battles were fun to watch for me. Which, I guess, could be one way to distract a viewer from some of the more lacking fights, but in any case, it was pretty nice.

And as far as the characters go, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much more interesting Team Flare was than I'd have expected them to be. They were boring as all Hell in the games, but the whole Zygarde storyline made their anime counterpart way better than I thought they would be.

I've also taken quite the liking to Shouta. That kid is cool.

Overall I enjoyed XYZ, and while the latest episode is quite the let-down, I'd be lying if I said there are no redeeming qualities.

Also, Bonnie, Dedenne and Squishy are goddamn precious.

• Veterans

There's only one way that can actually salvage this and that's if they manage to pull of the Flare Arc, PERFECTLY, that's literally the only way I can see me liking the ending of XYZ. Alain was built up well, Ash was built up well but the ending was anti-climactic as all hell. Unless that wasn't the true ending? After all, it seems like the league was intentionally rushed and used as a plot device for the Flare Arc, which is what the writers seems to be hinging on. If they manage it perfectly, it might be salvageable.

If ash defeats alain in the flare arc, it would be like the writers are saying "oh you didn't have enough initiative to beat alain well now you do" If ash actually fights alain AND defeats him ill have a little closure (not completely) from the stolen win

wow a lot of people are not too happy with the recent episode

I would love to make a snarky comment, but...I just can't think of anything that wasn't already said.

In the eyes of the fans, the writers dropped the ball. Hard. Yes, they have one more chance to fix this with the Team Flare arc, but it's a hail mary. If they screw it up, then the writers lost a TON of credibility.

I took the time to listen to that entire rant, I also agree with a large part of it. Good to see not everyone is a salt factory blindly hating on the anime or Alain or zard x just because Ash lost . In the end, it's true, you can never make everyone happy, so kudos to that dood