If you could edit CANON moves, items or abilities...?

zimvader42

Welp, I didn't saw this topic in Vinny's fan club directory, so I guess it's safe.

You know we have topics to create your own moves, your own abilities, even I think there's one to create your own items (or there should be...get on it people!)....so....I was curious... if you people were asked about all the moves, abilities and items that are currently canon as of gen VI, is there anything you'd change about them?

According to bulbapedia, there are currently 621 pokemon moves, 191 abilities (not counting cacophony, which was never released), and many, MANY items, if you count all TMs that are, were and will be, all berries, all gems, all plates, etc.

Among such a great variety, is hard for me to believe than no one among so many pokemon fans has any complain about at least one of them. I'll give you an example:

Submission is a move that frustrates me. Is a fighting move of not so good but not so bad base power, at 80, but that also has 80 accuracy, which means it misses often (in hax terms). But in top of that, it has recoil damage. WHY EVEN? fighting types with no guard like machamp have many options with more base power and no recoil, and everything that doesn't have no guard basically just doesn't need to even think about using submission. There's literally nothing submission does that other fighting type moves don't do better. And that bugs me a lot, because its name is so cool! is hell's wheel for arceus' sake!

If it were on me, submission would have 150 base power. Same accuracy, same recoil, but double the base power and only 5 PP instead of 25. It would be basically a fighting-type head smash, which I personally think is cooler than...whatever the move is now.

So, I want to know, out of all these 621 moves, 191 abilities and who knows many items, is there any atribute about them you, as a pokemon fan, would change?

Firstly, there should be less Abilities that do the same thing.

- Pure Power could be a special version of Huge Power, and Huge Power could be given to Meditite line instead.

- Turboblaze could boost Fire type moves and Teravolt could boost Electric type moves, like Dark/Fairy Aura.

- Vital Spirit could take away any recharge turns of moves like Hyper Beam. You really can't change Insomnia...

- Battle Armor / Shell Armor could be a special version of Marvel Scale or something??? I'm sure somebody would be able to find a proper use for it.

- White Smoke could lower the opponent's accuracy whenever it comes into contact with the user, so it isn't a replica of Clear Body.

- Filter/Solid Rock... idk tbh.

I'd also like Acid and Acid Spray to be able to hit Steel types (which I know Shia was able to do in xyr mod).

High Jump Kick should have lower accuracy. It might make you lose 50% of your HP if you miss, but it has only 5% less of a chance to miss than Jump Kick (meaning it has 90% accuracy, better than Fire Blast), which is considerably weaker. There's very little risk...

I feel that Charge Beam should never miss and always boost Special Attack. Maybe weaken it to base 40 power so it isn't so great, like Power-Up Punch.

Boost the power of Cut and Rock Smash, and make it so Cut and Rock Climb never miss. Maybe HMs would be more useful...

ok that's all for now.

The only HM that's actually competitively useful is surf, and it's probably gonna be that way.

I agree about the multiple abilities that do the same thing.

But I'd edit Forewarn and Anticipation, two rather useless abilities, to be more useful. It's be interesting if they could combine their effects, I'm not exactly sure how, though.

For moves, I think Poison Fang should have a greater base power OR a 100% chance to badly poison, like a damaging variant of Toxic. At present it is simply too weak for its 50% proc chance to be of use.

Also, it's a shame that Latios and Latias get a signature Psychic type move each, but never use them since they are too weak. Lustre Purge and Mist Ball are perfectly fine moves with good side effects, being 50% chance to lower either SpAtk or SpDef, but they are held back by their pathetic base 70 power and low PP. I'd edit them to be base 100 power at least, so that they can be actually viable.

I would also make Rock Slide 100% accurate. It's infuriating that the strongest 100% accurate physical Rock moves are...Smack Down and Rock Tomb, at 50 and 60 BP, respectively. While Stone Edge may justifiably be inaccurate, Rock Slide at a mere 75 BP should not be.

• Global Mods

I'd make Arena Trap and Shadow Tag not apply to wild Pokemon battles. I've probably complained about this before, but Route 13 in XY was one of the most irritating Pokemon experiences I've had. I constantly had to go back to heal because of the Dugtrio. And the first time I was there, I had Ampharos at the front of my party. I think getting to the power plant took more time for me than getting the first badge from the start of the game.

Similar to what Chubb said about needing less abilities that do the same as another ability, having both Protect and Detect is redundant. Seeing as almost every Pokemon can learn Protect through TM, I would remove Detect.

Will-O-Wisp should have 100 accuracy when used by a Fire type, since Toxic now has 100 accuracy when used by a Poison type.

I am so GOING to post all the abilities I buffed for my mod here when I get my laptop back.

But on the top of my head, I buffed Blaze, Torrent, and Overgrow. Now they activate at 50% health, and now they become immune to their respective types at that point of health. Specifically, Blaze Pokemon becoming immune to Fire type attacks at 50% health, and Torrent for Water attacks, etc etc. It's not the best kind of function, but at least it's slightly better. ^^

- Run Away should let you switch out even when you're trapped by Infestation or Shadow Tag or something.

- I saw a thing saying Anticipation could be turned into the defensive version of Analytic, which could be interesting.

- That post also said White Smoke should make any accuracy lowering moves fail, such as Defog, which would give Torkoal and Heatmor a cool niche.

Wonder Skin is like terrible. Idk how to fix it, though.

- Mud Sport and Water Sport should stay active even after you switch out...

- Quash really needs +1 priority to be at least semi useful in Doubles/Triples.

- I also saw a post saying Fairy Wind should be a priority move, which could be cool, as it would be the priority Fairy move.

- Maybe Celebrate could lower the target's offensive stats by 1 and Hold Hands could lower the target's defensive stats by one? Just so they're not useless. Not sure about Splash.

- Bestow should force the target to take the user's item, getting rid of the target's.

- Switcheroo could switch stat changes so it's not a Trick replica? Edit: nvm then it's just a Heart Swap replica

Not sure about Splash.

One hit KO move that ignores abilities and types :P

On a serious note, I would buff weather summoning abilities a bit to have higher activation priority than hazzard damage. There have been times where I need to keep my Tyranitar alive for one more Sandstorm activation and it is in 12%, but when it comes in rocks insta faint him and my poor Stoutland can't even bark before the opponent :(

Shell Armour should not be a replica of Battle Armour, but should instead prevent lowering of any defensive stat by any means. This includes via Secondary Effects of moves like Rock Smash or Flash Cannon, as well as via self-induced stat drops like from Close Combat.

Imagine Shell Armour Shell Smash. So nice.

Imagine Shell Armour Shell Smash. So nice.

So the Shell is an Armour and then it Smashes, but then it continues to be an Armour? :P

Although I agree that some duplicate abilitites are unnecessary, having different names for the same effect gives more characteristic to pokemon. Imagine if we didn't have Filter, would Solid Rock make sense for M-Aggron since it loses its rock typing? And if we only had Filter, Rhyperior makes more sense with Rock Solid since Rhydon combines with Protector and becomes ONE Solid Rock!

So the Shell is an Armour and then it Smashes, but then it continues to be an Armour? :P

Although I agree that some duplicate abilitites are unnecessary, having different names for the same effect gives more characteristic to pokemon. Imagine if we didn't have Filter, would Solid Rock make sense for M-Aggron since it loses its rock typing? And if we only had Filter, Rhyperior makes more sense with Rock Solid since Rhydon combines with Protector and becomes ONE Solid Rock!

Duh. It breaks the shell, and under the shell is...another shell, and so ad infinitum.

Rhypeior/Aggron is one example where a cosmetic difference actually makes more logical sense. But it is a rare one, and it's not specifically needed. Filter Rhyperior is not logically inaccurate, and Solid Rock is also available to Camerupt which is not and was never a rock type. The whole rock/ground/steel family of types is similar enoigh morphologically for these things to slide. Granted, Clear Body and White Smoke are rather odd when swapped (Imagine a transparent Heatmor. As if it wasn't hideous enough already.)

Edited by Viridescent

I would edit psywave. Why does that move hit everything neutrally? It makes no sense. I would also probably adjust its randomness

I also feel like Splash should do SOMETHING... I get its a meme/comic relief signature move for magikarp but come on..

Edited by Masquerain

Rock Smash

- Increase it's PP to 25 (40BP move with 15PP is ridiculous)

- either increase it's BP to like 60 OR make it ALWAYS reduce Defence (for 50% chance it triggers very rarely...)

- give it a x1.5 boost against Rock-types (come on... it is named ROCK SMASH - it is used to SMASH ROCKS!)

Cut

- make it super effective against Grass types (since it is used to cut bushes)

Razor Wind

- eventually make it Flying type (it's a WIND based move!)

- remove the charge-up turn... (80BP two turn NORMAL type move... ehhhhhh... not so great...)

---> for comparison: Tri Attack has 80BP, no charge up AND can inflict status conditions!

I would edit psywave. Why does that move hit everything neutrally? It makes no sense. I would also probably adjust its randomness

I also feel like Splash should do SOMETHING... I get its a meme/comic relief signature move for magikarp but come on..

Psywave hits everything neutrally (save Dark-types) for the same reason Seismic Toss does: It's a "fixed" damage attack, although the fixed damage it does changes randomly.

Anyway, make Oblivious immune to Torment, Follow Me, Rage Powder, Encore and Heal Block.

That's kinda the meaning of splash though... In that it's utterly meaningless.

It's like saying why not make nothing into something because nothing is nothing special... But nothing is special precisely because it is nothing.

i would make stealth rock deal typeless damage (12.5%), but deal only half damage to grounded pokemon

pokemon that would be perfectly viable are being overlooked because they are weak to stealth rock.
right now the whole teambuilding is done taking stealth rock weaknesses into account . which is bullshit.

i would make sky attack work like leaf storm, overheat etc.

i would also make ice burn and freeze shock (signature abilities of kyurem W and B) to have decreased power by 10, but work in one turn (like blue flare and bolt strike) because right now they are not worth using at all. and are making kyurem B look pretty gimped

i would make Poison be super effective against fighting and water. and Acidic and corrosive poison moves to affect steel types.
i would make fairy to not be not-very-effective against fire anymore. but against ice instead. should help ice types defensively.

Edited by DemICE

Coil should increase Attack, Defense and Accuracy by two stages instead of one, just to boost Arbok.

All HM moves which aren't surf get +20 BP.

Wring Out now does 1.5 times as much damage.

Wrap and Amnesia are their Gen 1 versions again :^)