Pokemon Reborn On TVTropes: That One Boss

Lord Chespin

So, in case you guys didn't know, Pokemon Reborn has a page on TVTropes! I've been working to embellish it and improve it, but it's a lot of work for just one person, especially the YMMV Page. So, I figured I'd recruit some help from the forums, and what better place to start than with That One Boss! That One Boss, also known as a scrappy boss, is a boss that gives most players a ton of trouble. It's significantly harder than most bosses, and is more or less a brick wall to progress. Now, that doesn't mean it can't be awesome; it's just that they're really, really freaking difficult, even more so than most bosses within the game. So,, what do you guys think that That One Boss is within Pokemon Reborn and Pokemon Reborn Hardcore?

I really wouldn't say Charlotte. I don't know why everyone had so much trouble with her, but I guess they did.

I'd probably go for the Arceus or Garchomp fight because in those you've got to make use of a lot of strategy to take down a single pokemon, rather than an entire leader.

I don't really think you can put down a gym leader because they really vary in difficulty because of your team.

If you have to put one down I also think Arceus or Garchomp because they are always going to be higher level than you and require a strategy to beat.

I really don't think any particular fight from Reborn should be That One Boss. Because really, it all depends on what your team is and how you use it. Some could be stuck on Noel for a month while others beat him on their first try.

I'll agree with Tomas in that it could be put in the YMMV page, but otherwise, no.

And ICSW is right, the Garchomp and Arceus fights should be Hopeless Boss Fights instead, since the game lets you progress without losing.

@everyone saying Garchomp and Arceus: those actually are closer to Hopeless Boss Fight than That One Boss.

Correction: they ARE Hopeless Boss Fights. Explicitly designed to be that. The sole reason why people around this forum defeat them anyway is that, well, most of us would rather have their livers removed with a rusted spoon than concede defeat on ANYTHING, as most debates in the Trainer Journal section clearly demonstrate.

Given that one of Reborn's main gimmicks is the hard gym leaders, there probably really isn't just 'one' boss. As others have already stated, it might be almost any leader depending on the team you build. If there is a mention of that trope, it should say something to that effect, so it doesn't turn into a list of half of the league instead.

(On another note (reminded to me by my name), some of the dialogue about Adrienn's gender would certainly qualify as Anvilicious...)

Edited by Anvilicious

Julia could be considered if it's only the first playthrough. Commander in Hardcore because that damn MA.

I'd consider Julia more of a Wake-Up Call Boss, since she's the first Leader, and, if it's your first time playing Reborn, you'll definitely have a hard time. Early Bird Boss also works, for similar reasons, but also because you probably won't have a Ghost or Ground type to help you deal with her.

Edited by InnocentBoy

I stand by my earlier point: "That One Boss" is an entirely subjective matter, specially for a game like Reborn. Some people might find a boss to be rediculously hard, while others might have no problems against it. Therefore, if Reborn's page on Tv Tropes has a YMMV sub-page, put this trope in there. If it does not have a YMMV sub-page, then you are better off not listing this trope at all in my opinion.

Not Shelly's Gym Puzzle? I hear everyone found that to be the True Final Boss.

Remember that this is my fully subjective opinion.

Under the assumption you do not exceed level caps (for evolution, or just haxxing win)

Corey would be a good qualifier... however, the real question here is whether or not most people will go through the trouble of raising a team to deal with a gym they (assuming first play-through) know nothing about, including the type. For that matter, unless the person in question is big on sidequests, they'll probably get the ever-so-fun corrosion field.

But hey, they could have one of those lovely Ground- or Psychic- types with them. Or a starter that evolves into one, for that matter.

Hope I didn't miss any...

The bottom four come from eggs, or are caught immediately before Corey, and are lower leveled unless coddled

Espurr

Numel

Spoink

Munna

Starmie (unless no water stone)

Drillbur

Drowzee

Phanpy

Poison and Steel are also good, and there are confessedly a lot of decent Poison types available. Steel, however...

Hope I didn't miss any...

Forretress (level 31)

Wormadam-T

Pawniard

Klink (From Obsidia side of Railnet?)

I'd say it's reasonable to assume the "average" person will have one Poison-type and one Ground- or Psychic-type with them at this time. Since Reborn pushed for diversity, let's assume a full team of six Pokemon. Level-wise, I would expect everything to fall below the 26-27 mark, and, if they are using a mystery egg Pokemon, it be about 20-22 (again, assuming minimal grinding). With such a poorly-defined, imaginary team, and no clue what to expect (aka the entry hazard), nor a reliable counter to Corey's Crobat team (due to not having the location guide on-hand), it is reasonable to consider the number of attempts for Corey to be an average minimum of 2-3, with the maximum being... Rest in peace, any Fairy mono people who opted out of C-Mist.

If I had to give any "main" reason for Corey being difficult (personally or otherwise), it'd be the combination of 2x Poison SR damage, Venoshock always being 130BP, and Crobat outspeeding everything you have with... reliable enough STAB attacks.

Actual spoilers in the spoiler (but still another reason)

Doubly warned now. Spoilers within.

Corey dies after the fight, invalidating the win.

Any struggle you had meant nothing.

Just to say it again: ^All of that^ is my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

To be completely honest, during my first play through, I came in with a mindset of dominating every gym battle within at most 3 tries due to how easy the canon games were.

Thus, from that perspective, the hardest was the first gym.

After the first playthrough, players tend to prepare pretty adequately, with a full party asap, and then adding rotational members after the first gym decreasing the difficulty for a lot of the bosses.

I'm almost done with my 2nd playthrough now, and I almost miss the frustration of having to re-challenge a gym for the 9th time.

Wow, this thread got a lot of attention! Thanks to everyone who posted; in case you were wondering, there is a YMMV Page, and I added a section on Wake-Up Call Bosses (including some from Hardcore). You can find it here. I was actually about to go to bed, but I'll make sure to update it in the morning! Once again, thanks!

Oh my god *remembers all the stuff of the first playthrough*

I played Reborn exactly 6 times, every run has its pros and cons, but there's one Boss Fight that I ALWAYS get stuck no matter what.

TNdDs4U.pngVS. ZEL & Taka C4oAJPz.png

This fight takes so much time and is freaking annoying. The tank Umbreon, The Psychic Espeon, The bulky Glaceon, The nothing by now Lileep, The little demon CHATOT, and our lovely PULSE Tangrowth [:

The fact that you're alone just makes it better, and *cough* NO DECENT GRINDING UNTIL COREY *cough*