What's the hardest game you've ever played?

Stalkerkain

For me, I've never known true despair perseverance and determination ever since playing Touhou.

(for those of you who don't know what Touhou is)

Funny thing is, despite how ridiculously hard it is, I just keep trying despite how hard I fail.

What's the hardest game you've played (and liked)?

Edited by Stalkerkain

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pokemon Reborn

In terms of actual games- I played Twilight Princess when I was way too young for it so it was really difficult for me. I'm not huge on difficult games though so that's my best answer to this question.

*obligatory souls fan emerges from the sewers*

Ok but in all seriousness, I played bloodborne once and due to a combination of being shitty at controllers, being shitty at games in general, and being absolutely fucking terrified, I honestly accomplished nothing in the three hours i was running around screaming. I think I died like, over twenty times. But I loved it, despite it being extremely stressful. I'm a huge sucker for cosmic horror stuff and I would love to be able to run around collecting lore and just... look at all the enemies. Especially the bosses. It's a shame there's no 'tourist mode' or something similar.

Dark Souls has a rough difficulty at first when you're figuring out the theme of the game, lots more reactive playing and positioning than forcing your way through, Bloodborne is more of you setting the tempo though, it can be a nice break.

Well, I should probably mention how steep the difficulty curve of Disgaea games is. Typically (and particularly in the first game of the series), the first two or three battles are ridiculously easy... And then the difficulty increases exponentially, particularly in the bottom levels of the dreaded Item World. Although that is mostly achieved by giving enemies ridiculously high levels and godly equipment you have no way of obtaining, so that could very well be classified as fake difficulty.

As far as true difficulty goes, Chrono Trigger probably deserves a mention. The Magus boss fight alone is probably harder than any other boss fight you have faced in any other RPG of similar setting, and yet the game is never unfair: there is a trick to every battle, the difficulty lies in your own ability to figure it out.

And a honorable mention for Pokemon Conquest: while not difficult by any stretch of imagination, it can be challenging for those who are used to the standard RPG structure of Pokemon games, as they will need to get used to the complex strategizing and the tactical importance of positioning on the battlefield, which are typical elements of SRPGs. In fact, I think every Pokemon fan should play Conquest (and then follow it up with some bread-and-butter, low-level SRPG like Luminous Arc and its sequel) as a way of learning the ways of the genre, before venturing into more complex things like DIsgaea, Tears to Tiara and Tactics Ogre... Doing so could very well lead one to discover a new genre. And widening one's horizons is important, is it not?

my hardest games I played:

1. I wanna be the Guy/Boshy (and all the fan games)

- people make them seem easy with their speedruns (what game isn't guilty of this?)... but damn the first times I played I barely defeated the first boss and couldn't go further...

2. Angry Video Game Nerd - The Game

- similar category as above -> super difficult and unfair level design...

3. Command & Conquer 4 - Tiberium Twilight

- This game that ruined C&C ... ... I played through the GDI Campaign with pain in my heart... then I played the NOD campaign... and the second or third mission was just plain unfair... even on easy.

It seemed the game saved my progress with GDI and transferred it over to the enemy AI in the NOD Campaign - making me use basic combat units against high-end flying enemies...

it was so brutally unfair that I quit it there and never bothered to go back...

4. Braid

cute jump-n-run puzzler with a cool time rewind mechanic... which I never really got hold of, confusing the hell out of me, therefore a pain to play and figure out...

If you get a grasp on how to actually use that time rewinding mechanic, it isn't that hard. but for me, ugh...

5. any YuGiOh! DS game

- ok these games are great and all... but after the first few Duels in the story mode, they throw such hellishly strong monsters at you that you barely have a chance... which means you would need to grind money to get Booster-packs, which in turn are random of a pool of cards... then you must meet certein conditions to unlock new boosters and so on...

The difficulty was more of a forced grindfest to get hold of strong cards...

Therefore I mostly cheated myself all cards to build my decks and then breeze through the story mode (once you have a deck that suits you it pretty easy) and challange my buddies with decks I would actually play... and not these garbage they give you as your starter deck...

Megaman 3

I had some money in my eShop and I decided to buy an old game, then I bought MM3.

Well, what can I say about this? *RAGEQUIT RAGEQUIT RAGEQUIT*

I actually managed to finish the game but it was a pain in the fukkin ass.

I could never do that without the 3DS save states

--noobnoobnoob--

my hardest games I played:

1. I wanna be the Guy/Boshy (and all the fan games)

- people make them seem easy with their speedruns (what game isn't guilty of this?)... but damn the first times I played I barely defeated the first boss and couldn't go further...

THIS ONE. SO MUCH.

...I've actually only played it for a little bit so far, but it's hard just figuring out where to go, not to mention all the traps everywhere.

Another game I think is worth mentioning for me is Super Meat Boy. It starts off pretty easy, but things get really difficult towards the later levels. I've almost finished the Dark World Cotton Alley (2 levels left), but DW Rapture is actually harder overall imo. Some of the levels in both are just impossible though...
Besides that, I'll mention some mostly unknown indie games that are actually quite difficult. Super Hexagon is probably the better-known game of the two, but it gets crazy hard on the more difficult levels. Just watch some of the people playing on the hardest difficulty - it's nuts. The other indie title is a little gem called "The Sun and the Moon." It's a neat platformer that utilizes physics in an interesting way, combined with the ability to fall through solid objects. I'd highly encourage looking into it, as it's really fun, but it requires very strict timing to complete the later levels.

As for the people who mention the Souls games, I love those games to death, but they honestly aren't that hard after you've played it for a little bit (At least not in my opinion. Then again, I really dig hard games so maybe I'm a poor judge). If it's your first Souls game, you'll be caught off guard for a while, but eventually you get used to the system and things become a breeze. I started on Dark Souls 2, and when I decided to play through Dark Souls 1 after beating it 4 times, I made my way to Anor Londo in just 2 days, which I think is proof enough that learning the way the game works will carry you through most areas with ease.

God Hand, Hard mode.

Game is fun during Levels 2 and 3, but Level DIE is just a barrage of unfairness.

Dark Souls was pretty challenging during the first few runs, but I got used to it.

Also, I just wanna say that the original Crash Bandicoot wasn't hard, but fuck Sunset Vista and Slippery Climb.

God Hand. I see people here mentioning I Wanna Be The Guy, and that's not a difficult game, it's a trial-and-error memory test. God Hand is difficulty done right. No part of the game is unfair or putting you at a disadvantage or any artifical difficulty, it's aaaaaaall about how skilled you are and nothing else. You have all the tools you need to succeed from the very start, you just need to learn to use them right. And it's gonna make you learn them, or rage-quit. Hard mode is best mode.

Also Nuclear Throne...though that's a way different story.

God Hand, Hard mode.

Game is fun during Levels 2 and 3, but Level DIE is just a barrage of unfairness.

God Hand. I see people here mentioning I Wanna Be The Guy, and that's not a difficult game, it's a trial-and-error memory test. God Hand is difficulty done right. No part of the game is unfair or putting you at a disadvantage or any artifical difficulty, it's aaaaaaall about how skilled you are and nothing else. You have all the tools you need to succeed from the very start, you just need to learn to use them right. And it's gonna make you learn them, or rage-quit. Hard mode is best mode.

Huh, other people played that game besides me. God Hand, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and God of War all get hella ridiculous, but I love them for that.

Obligatory Soul's game and I am surprised that no one mentioned Catherine. That game kicked my ass upside and back. I am also surprised that no one mentioned Silent Hill or Resident Evil.

I also agree with the whole "cheapness=/=difficult." When I lose to a game due to unfairness or cheapness I don't feel like the game is difficult. More... tedious or down right stupid. Is a game challenging when RNGsus is an actual game mechanic or factor to consider? No... Is resource management, technical skill, puzzle solving in extreme conditions, or control of the environment all make a difficult? Yes.

As Godot mentioned, Catherine is pretty hard. I managed to beat one of the Babel stages but the other Babel stages...

In terms of puzzles, I thought Fez had pretty good puzzles that were difficult to solve.

I don't think Souls games are hard, probably since I've gotten used to them. Even then, first time I picked up Demon's Souls didn't give me too much trouble.

• Support Squad

Gotta go with SMT Devil survivor 1. That game loves to say fuck you and make you grind for years if you want to win ANTHING. Also has one of he most unfair boss rushes you ever did see. If I hadn't had a very select party loadout and had neglected to pick up one particular ability which is scarcely available with how the game works, it would have been unwinnable. Not even kidding, so much bullshit in that game.

God Hand is super awesome because I love bootleg games. Ever played Minority Report, @Godot?

I am also surprised that no one mentioned Silent Hill or Resident Evil.

I'll give Resident Evil 1 (The original one) credit because dang, it's all about management. And probably the first game where I actually learn to use the map.

I'll give 3 some credit too because killing Nemesis on hard on all encounters (Or at least 8) also came down to Management. Namely, "bullet" management. The other ones (Till 4) were okay, imo. Outbreak was hard? I don't remember that one.

No comments on Silent Hill.

5. any YuGiOh! DS game

- ok these games are great and all... but after the first few Duels in the story mode, they throw such hellishly strong monsters at you that you barely have a chance... which means you would need to grind money to get Booster-packs, which in turn are random of a pool of cards... then you must meet certein conditions to unlock new boosters and so on...

The difficulty was more of a forced grindfest to get hold of strong cards...

Therefore I mostly cheated myself all cards to build my decks and then breeze through the story mode (once you have a deck that suits you it pretty easy) and challange my buddies with decks I would actually play... and not these garbage they give you as your starter deck...

*sitting here haven beaten wc 2010/11 (the one with the dark signers) with a customized starter deck.* But seriously, fuck Griager if you don't have a mirror force (actually 2)

Back on topic. Hardest game I played was pmd t/d. I swear I can possibly beat this game legit if it wasn't for Primal Dialga having roar of time. Close second is gen 1 remakes. These sunnva of guns are the only games in the series I haven't retry with my veteran experience (Funny enough, I evolved in B/W 1 and the first 3 gyms are brutal if you started with charmander)