Pokemon History. (Yours.)

Mashew

So I thought I'd ask the whole community this instead of going one by one. What got you into Pokemon in the first place? Not just the server but the actual franchise? Also what kept you going and did you ever become bored or hate it at one point? Come on everyone~.

Originally, I was with a friend and we, along with their mother, went to a trailer that a neighbor had recently departed. We were scrounging around (a hick country thing we used to do...) and I found a Pokemon Crystal game. Brand new-ish, had a save file and all that. I turned it on in my GBC and found these...awkward looking creatures.

Ever since then, Pokemon has been my life. I've never grown tired of it.

• Administrators

Originally I hated Pokemon. My grandmother got me a Gameboy when I was 4, with two games: Tetris Attack and Star Wars. I was a hipster child, apparently, and hated popular things like Star Wars, and so when Pokemon was all the rage in the first grade class room I was like "looooool lame."

In those exact words, surely.

Over the following summer, however, one of my old friends from preschool moved near me, and when he first came over he brought his fancy gameboy color, along with this OP Pokemon game, Blue. He was herpderpin' along Viridian Forest, and I knew about five Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Caterpie, Charmander and Pidgey. Well, all he was finding was Caterpie, of course, and I was like meh, but he told me that Viridan Forest was the only location Pikachu could be caught, and suddenly I was mildly interested. He let me play around on his game for a little bit, and while the exact details are fuzzy, I can be sure I demanded my father take me to Toys R' Us and get the game the next day.

Foolishly, I wanted to get the exact same game as him- it was apparent even to both of my parents that I should get Red to contrast his Blue, but I didn't want to miss out on anything he had. So I got Blue despite their protests and facepalmed for it later. It didn't really matter- both of us got both Red and Blue and Yellow and both Gold and Silver and Crystal, etc. For the most part, though, we synchronised our purchases. I got Silver; he got Gold. I got Ruby; he got Sapphire. We went to get the first three gens together, because we were inseparable through Elementary school. Come Middle School, we were put in different classes, but I can be sure that even my other friends- all we did in class was play Ruby/Sapphire under the desks while our rotund and ever-increasingly bald English teacher droned with all the emotion of a breakfast spoon.

When D/P came out, things changed. He went to a different high school- really, all of my friends did, and not a single one of them went to the same school as each other, either. How we managed that, I don't know. So most of my friends were on the internet. Naturally, we were thrilled when D/P came out boasting internet playability. I set up a small little site for my online friends to swap code, trade and battle on. It was called PokePlace, and had about 12 members, though all of them active. We played through that summer, and when school started, everyone stopped caring. The site was taken down, and we went on with our lives.

Suddenly the next summer, everyone got bored and started playing again, so I put the site back up, this time under the name PokePlace, Reborn. School came and it died, and Summer came, and it was [Reborn] and school came and it died and Summer came and it was [[Reborn]] (in the state that we currently know it.) Last summer it kinda died again, or at least was on life support, but naturally we kicked it back into life, and now it's {Reborn}. And it's working out, isn't it~?

However nothing has shaped the site more than the existence of the League. After middle school, having effectively lost my friends, I ended up adopting a new best friend online, and although I forget how the idea ever came up, I somehow made a promise to him that I would start up a league, replicating the games, but with a human-level of difficulty, and with all 17 types. At that time an E4 and Champion was planned, too, but to execute it was redundant, so that was nulled.

I began the league a full four years after promising it. It originally opened on a site called Monkeypro, where both he and I frequented. Accordingly, it also started as the MonkeyPro League. It was mid-February when this happened, so the PokePlace [Reborn] site wasn't up. It found surprising success, and only terminated as a result of my personal sudden vanishment (I spent two weeks locked in my room doing I can't remember what and denying my very existence as a rejected lump of flesh).

Come the next summer. I set up the site again, and got things back and rolling. Where we had been on Shoddy before, I found this ballerific new Pokemon simulator, Pokemon Online, where hardly 50 people were on the main server at any given time. With the help of Nyu, another member of Monkeypro, we got Reborn's server up, and the league rolling again. Originally, it was just the original members of MP who competed, but being a public server, some others showed up, and- the rest, as they say, is history.

To this day the person for whom the league was created has not so much as registered a team- nor does he have any intention to do so, ever.

Well set back and enjoy the story.

When I was younger I got a Gameboy at some point in my life (Christmas or Birthday? cant remember.) And my first game was Pokemon Red. I never liked the way it looked, but eventually it grew addicting and I loved it. Later on, I got Pokemon Leafgreen, which introduced a bunch of Pokemon and much better graphics so I fell in love with it. I eventually grew tired of it, though, andlater got Pokemon Emerald, which I orginially thought "was to odd" to play and I disliked it. Well, my friend told me about the stuff you can do in Emerald and it seemed unreal; so I tried it out and surely enough I liked it.

A good 5 or so years later I got my DS Lite and Pokemon Diamond. it was good, and the Pokemon were nice, but I wanted something more. I got Platinum, fell in love, and then of course got Gen 5 blah blah blah.

And here I am.

Ah I remember me getting into it clear as day!

Like Amethyst I started off hating Pokemon. I despised the way random pixels on screens basically became slaves coughRattataccough.

Then one day the power was cut off and I lost connection from my internet. I was pissed. So then I went downstairs to see my Dad playing a Pokemon game on his Gameboy. I walked away. Then my Mum came and asked why I lookedso bored. I told her I had nothing to do. She then gave me a Gameboy and Pokemon Yellow. I went to my room but did not so much as touch it. Eventually I became so bored I decided to play it. I loved it. Getting Pikachu as a starter, killing random things in you're path and having that cute little mouse follow you around!

Ever since then I would repeatedly watch the anime and get the games 100%'ing each one until one day the anime began to suck especially with Pikachu getting killed by a (in-black and white) level 14 panpour. While I repeated to play the games but eventually found it redundant doing the same time and time again.

A few years passed and one of my friends showed me a Pokemon match he had done against someone via Wi-Fi. He had won but from the looks of it it was not easy. I loved having a battle that was hard for once in Pokemon so I started my competetive Pokemon days and was quite good at it but eventually ran out of team idea's and challenges. I fell out with it again.

Then one time my friend came again and showed me Pokemon Online! Being able to chat and find new friends, building a team was much easier too! I immediately downloaded it and played it. Now here I am.

And that is how my Pokemon days and my competetive battling days began. :D

I was first introduced to pokemon by Ninteno Power. It came out as a preview and a mini comic insert for several months before the game was actually released. I saw Blastoise and I was interested immediately. Favorite color is blue, element is water, favorite animal is the turtle, so yeah- good combination. I read about the game and all the articles in each Nintendo Power and got Blue version when it came out.

So yeah, been playing just about every game since then. The only games I never played/owned are Crystal and Emerald. And one of the console coluseum type ones. Gale I think.

Anyway, yeah. I've been around Reborn since its creation as Poke-Place, if not quite a part of its inception.

I first became aware of pokemon when I was 8 and my cousin had one of the first few versions. I ended up getting it for my birthday that year. I took a break after I got (and beat FireRed), but got back into it during the tail end of Platinum. My cousin got me into competitive battling and showed me Shoddy. While trying to find a pokemon (I think Arceus), someone refered me to a trading site, where I got my pokemon, and further developed my competitive battling. Stayed with it since, having waves of a lot of interest, and times where a few battles a week was alright. Been on two sites (regularly) before this one, so this will be my third pokemon forum.

well i was watching TV and a comercial came on... it had two adjacent appartment complexes... suddenly a pikachu appeared in the window and waved off into the distance, and a hitmonlee on the opposing window waved back and tossed over a GB Link Cable... and various multicolored animals started tightrope walking to get to each other's appartment... the TV screen then Flashed POKEMON BLUE AND RED... A few weeks later i went with my grandpa to his doctors appointment and we stopped at a Wal-mart along the way... he told me i could buy any video game i wanted... i saw pokemon Blue and was like "i want that one"

all i can say is fuck ya... pokemon!!!!.... but my sister broke my carteridge... then a few years later my mom bought me a GBC with pokemon yellow... i somehow by the grace of god caught a mew... no seriously... and i beat the game with pikachu, Kabutops, mew, and the 3 starters... well i got pretty hardcore into pokemon in elementary... i somewhat played ruby/saphirre when it came out... and when DP came out i was mildly excited...

i didn't really get into pokemon hardcore again until i went to college and joined the anime club there... where pokemon was kinda big

at anime club i met this guy who no one would wanna play super smash bros with... i played him... got my ass kicked... and this guy eventually became my best friend... this guy is the one you guys know as maelstrom :) he eventually introduced me to the server

Back when I was like 8, friend got me into Pokemon Cards, so I always collected and played around with him and stuff. When I got a GBA for my birthday some time later, I got Pokemon Ruby, my first Pokemon game. Played through that and became a Pokemon addict. Newer games started coming out, and I just went with the flow (Leaf Green, Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold. Later on when I heard about Nintendo making a Gen 5 (I bought Pokemon White when it came out for NDS), I frantically researched to see if any spoliers were leaked. Low and behold, Pokemon Online was there to let you test battle with them (back then they had their Japanese names and moves. So yeah from there it took me here.

ok. I first got into pokemon when I was in kindergarten when one of the older kids told me how awesome it was. Since then, I have been hooked and have loved playing.

Though more interesting is what I have done since then. When I was a sophomore, I joined a site called pokeglobal (previously known as pokenet and then renamed pokenet), which boasted a complete pokemon MMORPG. I joined the staff team and started to help out until nintendo ordered a cease and dessist and the whole game was effectively shut down http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/02/nintendo-shuts-down-fan-made-pokemon-mmo/ (if you want more info on it).

I first got into competitive battling through this site and it was actually one of my fellow staff members who helped me make my signiture ninjask team.

After PN got shut down, I was on shoddy for a while until one of my friends brought me to PO and yeah (I guess if you want a full PO history, that is a different story) :3

In terms of coding, besides for the MMORPG, I have coded for PO servers before and have coded a text based version of the TCG

hm... what got me started.... hard to say my memory of my child hood is a bit vague.... but i can remember most of it. I was at my aunts at the time and i noticed she had a game boy, during the time i was pretty interested in i was even interested in games when i was 2 but thats a different story. i saw most of the games, tony hawk on game boy.... tetris... and this stuffs, then i noticed pokemon red i think.. i can't tell cause it wasn't a game boy color, those weren't made yet so i grabbed it and played it a bit, i wasn't that much interested in it but i played it a lot, after a while i kinda got addicted to it. after that i asked some of my cousins if i could keep it and they let me keep and play it to my hearts content, i never remembered how far i really gotten but i think i beat it... but never saw mewtwo. when gold/silver came out i just thought that was awesome, but never kinda got them for some reason for unknown reasons, but when i heard about crystal i was a bit more intrigued... i blame the bluish tinted game cartridge

before i go in to deep i must get to the thing that got me most interested... the show... for SOME reason it was just awesome to watch, it was like.. the THING of THINGS, me and my sister were so interested... in fact we even acted like our own adventure and that, i even remember a really good friend from 2nd grade that used to imagine we had our own pokemon oh how gullible kids are in those days i even remember my wish when i was young.... to have my own poliwhirll....

after that anyways me and my sister were hooked, we got each game that came out making sure to get the complete opposite of each other, i got ruby, she go sapphire. she got diamond, i got pearl. and it all went on from there, heck i got white and she got black. its funny cause we didn't do it cause we wanted to, but we did it cause we liked the legends on the box. and still to this day, i play pokemon..... i wonder what the next game parts will be

and still to this day, i play pokemon..... i wonder what the next game parts will be

i am assuming that we might hear something about pokemon grey at E3, which will be in June... idk about a release date... if it is announced at e3 it might come out either in Nov/Dec or sometime between Jan and March

• 1 month later...

Okay, time to Necro a topic. Short verson: Anime -> Yellow -> Crystal -> Ruby -> Diamond. My best friend helped me along.

Tl;Dr Version:

I started around the time I was 4 or 5 after watching the anime for a good length of time, and my mom surprised me with Yellow Version... I was playing just about ALL the time... It was fun, training my pikachu to be the strongest, getting 2 Snorlaxes, an Onix, and Jolteon was my main team really. Eventually, I beat the game, and became champion. A few years later, for some odd reason I started the game over. Pikachu kept its same moves after the restart (Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Thunder Wave), but it didn't level it up to 80-something like i did the first time (it accumulated dust in the PC and I never got my bulbasaur back). Instead by the endgame, my team was classified by three main pokemon: Gyarados, Pidgeot, and Vaporeon (lvl 97). I beat the league several times over, and to this day, that was a classic and a catalyst for my next game, Crystal. Unfortunately, a few days ago, it died on me, and won't save data anymore like my friend advised me it wouldn't (He has Blue and will be mentioned more later).

Few years after Yellow, I decided I wanted the next generation of games to match my best friend who got Silver. I think I wanted Gold, but my mom convinced me to get Crystal Version. Thus a new adventure began and for my love of grass types (I had an Oddish Plushie :3) I chose Chikorita. Of course The infamous Silver became my rival. Being the kid to take everything at face value, I kept his name as '???' (In Yellow, I named Blue 'Gary' due to the anime). So Chikorita eventually became Meganium, and we went on to defeat the familiar elite 4 plus champion. Beat Kanto's leaders, and Red. Then somehow, the Yellow thing happened again and I started over. My best friend helped me to see why Water starters were the best at that time (They can use water AND ice techniques! Genius!) I chose Totodile. Eventually that Totodile became Feraligatr, and had babies with a ditto. Then we learned the cloning glitch. I came to have 2 Suicune and 4 Feraligatrs and 2 Red Gyarados'. I defeatead the whole game again and pretty much spent my time in Goldenrod, because, y'know, Radio. Sadly, my Crystal's fate recently became the same as that of my Yellow.

Moving on. My best friend got Saphire, and I got Ruby Version to match (I don't know why the cycle of buying the remakes ended here). With the concepts of Dive, Secret Bases, GBA, New Non-8-bit Music, and Lava Cookies, I was playing just about 24/7. I mean we battled each other via that wireless GBA thing that was supposed to replace link cables, and through secret bases (He usually won). We both got our first full teams at level 100 eventually, but I'm skipping ahead. I chose Torchic, and he chose Mudkip. My torchic became a MIGHTY BLAZIKEN and my strongest pokemon ever with 8 Contest ribbons! In my youth and feelings... I litterally felt sorry for Groudon and let it go... I still caught Regice, but ran out of Pokeballs with Regirock, Registeel, and Rayquaza. So, I spent most of my time at the battle tower having been able to beat the elite four with just my Blaziken (Interestingly the tower contained all my friends I had swapped records with at one point or another, just not as their Secret Base forms). From there my Poke-Career slowed down, because, y'know, growing up. But I did rent XD:Gale of Darkness a few times (still haven't beat it). Only recently (like 2 years ago when i still played occasionally) did I start to actually beat my best friend's secret base team (Kyogre Sweep ftl). Now the Internal Battery has run dry on my Ruby like his Saphirre did, and I can still keep my favorite team. :D

Then I got LeafGreen Version before he got FireRed (for once). Playing through the Original story was somewhat interesting, but not as much as Ruby. I lent it to another friend and he caught me Mewtwo and Entei (how?). But since I still haven't beaten the Elite Four past Bruno.... I don't play it that much.

I finally got Diamond Verison, and played it through, though got bored because I couldn't enter this city, or I'd lose to this unavoidable trainer between towns, or Fantania's Drifblim would be too hard, etc. Most interesting part of the story was probably Team Galactic. I caught Dialga and still can't get past the second Elite Four Member...

But yeah, that's pretty much my history through the games, Just playing and playing, and capturing, and etc (I know I didn't have to include the actual ingame info, but that's why it's the tl;dr section)... Ta-Da.

I was about... 4 at the time, and i got Pokemon Crystal Version, my first video game ever (don't ask me how I got it, I have short term memory). I started playing it, grabbed a cyndaquil having no idea what i was doing, and just cleared the whole game with him. I was completely addicted to it, and NOTHING (with the exception of SSBM (my second game ever) from time to time) could stop me from playing it. I maxed levels, got dragonite, etc. (and was still oblivious to a lot of the factors in the game (which caused me to take, like, thirty tries to flamethrower Claire's Kingdra to death). It was the exact same thing when i bought sapphire about 5 years later, with mudkip. As time passed by at end-primary school (I live in england, keep that in mind), i bought games from all generations (not EVERY single game, there were some exceptions (though i never got pokemon 1st gen (not including firered))) and got hooked on even spin offs such as colusseum. Then high school came, my life fell in a pit, and i had to start studying more seriously. I started playing other games (though i played pokemon every now and then), and it became... a stalemate, you could say.

But when the 5th generation came out, I bought black version early on, and played it through. I stopped again for a bit, looking back at the older generations, but then restarted a file.

Unfortunately, I went to a games festival one day, and lost my DS lite and all my games except for two there (one being heart gold, which i only found YESTERDAY). My 3DS was useless due to needs of migration and poketransfering, so i bought another DS lite and pokemon White, retaining my spirit for pokemon. I also got platinum and started on heart gold again, transfering as many pokemon (starters took AGES too sort out) as i could to pokemon white, as I bookmarked Serebii.net and got a sudden interest in the strategic wi-fi side, understanding EVs now and all that.

While I still train and pursue on the DS, i got Pokemon Online, met this server and carried out my newly learned (but still terrible XD) strategies. And that's where I stand as of this moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Around the time when i was 7 yrs old i bought pokemon yellow version (also owned green version). I was extremely excited to play it from watching the anime. I remember beating the game 2 times then maxing out my pokemon then one day suddenly i have pokemon at levels 201, 113, 337 etc. It blew my mind and i would do crazy stuff lol. Then came crystal version (gold and silver were bought after that, backwards eh!?) Typholsion will always be a fave. I lost to the elite 4 around 11 times at the time then i soon realized i had a level 79 typholsion which had i realized sooner i was able to kill them all. the i easily ran through red :D. Years later i got every other game since then. #GeauxPokemon xD!!!!

Oh yay, story time! Let's see. I started playing Pokemon when I was around 6 or 7. First game ever was Yellow, as such, was the best game I had at the time. I instantly loved it, and played it pretty much all the time. Wasn't long after that I got Red version, cause Charizard looked cooler, which he does to this day. Anyway, I always got rather far, but have had the worst of luck with both of them. Never beating Gary for the last time due to my games deleting data all the time.

When Gold and Silver were released, I was super stoked cause by that time I loved Pokemon more than any game franchise ever. I went with Silver, cause Lugia is super awesome! I played that game more than any Pokemon game ever, well maybe not Emerald. Which brings me to the next Gen!

Oh Ruby version! I remember the times we shared the most! I remember choosing Treecko for the very first time. I remember every gym battle. Most notably, I remember riding in the car, as I fought Steven, desperately trying to win. It was literally a battle against the clock as my Sp was on the verge of shutting off. Guess who won the battle for me? That's right, Sceptile! My most trustworthy Pokemon I ever had, and was the last Pokemon alive in that match. Of course, there are many more memories, but I don't want to babble too much.

After Gen 3, 4 was announced. Wasn't much longer they had a demo you could play in Gamestop. I remember that, as I thought Lucario was epic. I believe I spent the most time with my friends in the underground tunnels playing Capture the Base, or whatever that game was called.

I shouldn't need to elaborate on Gen 5 too much. It wasn't that big of an impact for me. Only thing I have to say about it was it was what peaked my interest in playing Pokemon competitively. My interest went up during my schools Pokemon tourneys I hosted. From there, the guy you know as Poetic, kept posting in Facebook about this awesome Pokemon thing called Pokemon Online. I eventually got curious, and decided to download it. Made a team, etc. We tried making our own server that way we could battle with our friends and such, but to no avail. Whilst scrolling down the Server registry, I stumbled upon Reborn, saw the server info, saw league, got pumped, and well, you all know the rest. :D Needless to say, Pokemon is freakin awesome!

I kinda watched the Pokémon Anime when I was younger. I stopped watching when I was 8.

I found all my pokémon stuff back when I was 12, my dad reminded me I had watched the Anime when I was younger.

After that I got a N5 Card, something like an R4 but a little bit different. The first Game I put on it was Pokémon Pearl.

I chose Piplup and I had no idea what I was doing. I called her Pippy. ; w ;

Later in the game I found out what the hell to do. I renamed my Piplup. (She was actually an Empoleon at that time)

So then I renamed all my other pokémon too.

I cleared the game with a funny ass team. x3

Empoli the Empoleon.

Rose the Roserade.

Derp the Bibarel.

Emo the Mesprit. ( I dunno. ; w ; )

Shark the Garchomp.

Sleepy the Uxie.

--

Later, when I bought my DSi, I got Platinum and Soul Silver.

I forgot the teams I used there.

But I cleared them all~

When I turned 13, I got my laptop.

I saw a Video on LugiaDialga's profile and it had PO stuff in it.

I got interested and installed it.

I ended up at PBC.

And here after a few months.

I forgot the rest.

It's too early.

Fweh.

Edited by Skeleton

• 1 month later...