[Recruiting GFX Artist] [POLL] Pokemon Darkness

pbood2

Pokemon Darkness Updates  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you as players not play the game because it had splices even if the development team thought they fit well for the concept of the delta pokemon?

• Yes, having splices is considered lazy and unprofessional for a game to have
    • No, if you believe they fit well for the pokemon concept then I trust the dev team
    • No but maybe try to have a lower amount of splices than original sprites so the whole game isn't overrun by spliced pokemon
    • No but only if I can't tell what pokemon were part of the splices

I hate to be the one to finally bring this up mostly because I haven't been a part of this since February and quite literally know nothing of what's going on, but giving updates for the game should be the least of your worries. Saying you can't make updates due to the lack of scripting creates on very big red flag. But so far in a total of roughly 7 months you've only shown us a couple sprites, a couple soundtracks, a single map, and a couple pieces of concept art and this is with a group that is far bigger than most fan-games or hacks have by a large margin and even some companies/developers who make games for a living. You have had more resources than the average person and even a longer amount of time...yet this is all you have to show us.

My point isn't to belittle or be hypocritical of your work. I'm merely saying to stop making excuses and accept something in the system in place isn't working. It could be that whatever this coder needs to do should be scrapped entirely since it seems you are always in need of a coder. Focus on making progress of the game with a team that can do it, then consider updating and showcasing a bit of it. After all even 80% of a game isn't a game without that last 20% no matter how little or insignificant it is. You'll know what the means when you start building and getting really far into a project.

• Upvote 3

I hate to be the one to finally bring this up mostly because I haven't been a part of this since February and quite literally know nothing of what's going on, but giving updates for the game should be the least of your worries. Saying you can't make updates due to the lack of scripting creates on very big red flag. But so far in a total of roughly 7 months you've only shown us a couple sprites, a couple soundtracks, a single map, and a couple pieces of concept art and this is with a group that is far bigger than most fan-games or hacks have by a large margin and even some companies/developers who make games for a living. You have had more resources than the average person and even a longer amount of time...yet this is all you have to show us.

My point isn't to belittle or be hypocritical of your work. I'm merely saying to stop making excuses and accept something in the system in place isn't working. It could be that whatever this coder needs to do should be scrapped entirely since it seems you are always in need of a coder. Focus on making progress of the game with a team that can do it, then consider updating and showcasing a bit of it. After all even 80% of a game isn't a game without that last 20% no matter how little or insignificant it is. You'll know what the means when you start building and getting really far into a project.

I was typing a novel for this but I accidentally went to another web page and lost it so I'm going to address what I must in this.

To be honest, the length of time that has passed doesn't matter when it comes to updates because Revolution hasn't given any since it's beginning until the announcement of the demo recently while Darkness is at least giving updates over time as an example. I'm not dissing Revolution, I'm just saying each project does things differently and just because it's been 7 months and not much has happened isn't the worst thing possible (my team members are constantly busy with real life so we do things and make progress when we can to be honest and we are hoping to make considerable progress throughout the summer while school is out). The team was 7 before 2 people left recently and now is 5 (1 helper being Krim and 4 committed being michael, WS Green, Ramman including me) so the amount of resources and team members really isn't a lot more than so many other fangames and companies as you say.

At what point did I make an excuse? I was just giving an update/heads up saying that updates will take longer due to lack of a scripter and because the sprites that can be shown have been, I need to work on maps now and music is being worked on by the composer over time. The scriptor would help me figure out how to event the maps or I will learn in time myself so I can show some images of ingame for a future update.

To me and I'm not being defensive so don't take this wrong but it seems to me that your point is to belittle because you don't mention anything positive ever about the game and you only focus on the negatives. Yes, you have to think about the negatives and how to address them but you also have to think of the positives such as the team now is down to who's really committed and will stick through thick and thin which is good to have on the team. We will be looking for the scriptor who will also stick around and be committed to making this awesome game.

"It could be that whatever this coder needs to do should be scrapped entirely since it seems you are always in need of a coder."

Okay, the coder was being secretive so I had no clue what they were doing no matter how many times I asked them to come to the chat so I could ask and figure it out because they didn't like me as a game dev (found out just before they left sigh...) so whatever the coder needs to do doesn't need to be scrapped because it hasn't been determined if what I'm asking for is doable or not. I get what you mean and should the new scripter say I can't I'll definitely be open to changes and improvements on what we should do for the game.

Thanks for your comment/post Commander. I agree with a lot of it especially the beginning part about the red flag situation.

Sorry if some of what I said sounded harsh but I appreciate your comment.

Have a great night. :)

Edited by pbood2

Just some advice: it feels like you're taking this way too personally when a simple acknowledgement would suffice. Anything you post or do on the site often represents the game's reputation especially on the game's page.

I was merely stating that there's a very unusual pattern of very slow progression for a group like this. It's something that should be looked into and changes be made in order for progress to flow more smoothly.

Just some advice: it feels like you're taking this way too personally when a simple acknowledgement would suffice. Anything you post or do on the site often represents the game's reputation especially on the game's page.

I was merely stating that there's a very unusual pattern of very slow progression for a group like this. It's something that should be looked into and changes be made in order for progress to flow more smoothly.

Trust me when I say I'm not taking it personally. Like I said at the end I really do appreciate your feedback and comments because it helps me see some things I might not have by myself when it comes to the team, progress, etc. I never did anything negative thus affecting the game's reputation by replying to you as nicely as I could I think. I know that though.

The unusual pattern is because of lack of availability for most of the team except the spriters which is why I was able to show those as the updates so far. Changes such as what in your opinion do you think would need to happen? I'm open to suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

AUGUST 5th Update

Pokemon Darkness is finally moving forward with an amazing team full of roles and moral supporters which let me tell you is super important for morale and motivation.

As for the progress, sprites are being worked on over time such as main character varieties and backsprites, mapping has been taken over by me and one other person. I have completed the grass gym town called Evergreen Town and it is being evented over time now while they are working on routes 1 and 2. Music is showing trouble because there's so many songs needed and we don't have much ready right now but hopefully that can get moving soon. We did find an experienced scripter with rpgmaker and we hope to make progress with scripting soon.

The next update will include what route 1 and evergreen town looks like as well as the world map for Gaia's northern part. We are open to feedback or suggestions for what you want the next update to include other than those maps.

POKEMON DARKNESS is looking for another composer because Episode 1 is hoping to have as much custom music as possible before release and there's a lot of songs required so having another one would be helpful so if you are interested, please post here indicating your interest or PM me and show me past work you have done please.

Thanks for your interest and support. We appreciate it a lot.

Have a great day/night and we will see you soon with the next update.

EDIT: We just updated the poll so if you could please give some feedback about the new question, we would greatly appreciate it. :)

Edited by pbood2

So let me get this straight. You still have that composer, but you don't have enough faith in him so you're going to try and look for a replacement while he's still working for you. I honestly feel bad about your composer since you are more or less, forgive my language, talking shit about him in front of everybody. Sorry if anyone get offended by this, but it's okay to cover up some stuff or avoid talking about it. A simple "Music is a much bigger task than we anticipated so I'm looking for additional help with a couple songs" looks better and isn't a lie either.

Essential's uses Ruby Script so once you know the basic difference in commands (which are very similar to other coding), you can do quite a bit. The hardest part is figuring out what is where but once you have that down, bug fixing isn't so bad. You just have to be really, really good at remembering where your screw ups are or...it's going to be a very, very bad day.

• Upvote 3

So let me get this straight. You still have that composer, but you don't have enough faith in him so you're going to try and look for a replacement while he's still working for you. I honestly feel bad about your composer since you are more or less, forgive my language, talking shit about him in front of everybody. Sorry if anyone get offended by this, but it's okay to cover up some stuff or avoid talking about it. A simple "Music is a much bigger task than we anticipated so I'm looking for additional help with a couple songs" looks better and isn't a lie either.

Essential's uses Ruby Script so once you know the basic difference in commands (which are very similar to other coding), you can do quite a bit. The hardest part is figuring out what is where but once you have that down, bug fixing isn't so bad. You just have to be really, really good at remembering where your screw ups are or...it's going to be a very, very bad day.

Yes, I didn't explain that very well so thanks for making me aware to it. I have edited the previous post to fix those mistakes and explain the situation better. I do have faith in the composer though and I have seen his amazing talent so I'm excited for what he can do for Pokemon Darkness. Thanks for the advice about how to better say the situation.

Well like you know from the very beginning of this game's development back in October-November Commander, you know what I'm trying to achieve for the gameplay of the worlds and people say it's super tough to script so that's what I was meaning by we'll see if they can use essentials and be able to figure it out. Most likely I will just be going with a more simple system for gameplay though because people have been saying having what I was planning would leave a sour taste from players and to make the scripter's life easier.

AUGUST 11, 2016

Pokemon Darkness is looking for an experienced coder/scripter who has extensive knowledge of Essentials and RPGXP. If you or someone you know is interested in joining Team Darkness, please PM me or BlueMoonIceCream showing yours or their past experience.

If we can't find someone soon, BlueMoon and I will learn Ruby coding ourselves so progress on Pokemon Darkness can continue no matter what but we would appreciate finding an interested member who wants to join an amazing fangame project and to contribute their skills if possible.

Thanks for your support and interest in the game and have a great day/night. :)

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. 

I am posting to mention that Pokemon Darkness has been kind of on a hiatus for the last 3 months which is due to the team including me not being available due to school, work and being more busy since summer was over. We just wanted to let you guys know this and we are hoping we can have something going soon if I ever stop procrastinating and focus on this once again which I honestly am hoping to soon. 

Until we have another update for you, we are on hiatus but we are still searching for a composer and a scripter (check above post or first post of the thread for details) because if I had those, it would help get me motivated to work on this again and thus get my team going again. 

Thanks for reading this, supporting this project and have a great day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as we have an update to make, I should make a post right? ;)

Anyways, I am proud and happy to announce that we have a new scripter/coder in Night Fighter who has joined us and we have a new composer, who joined us after we advertised on twitter about needing a composer, because the last one isn't available anymore. 

We thank you Night Fighter of Reborn for joining Team Darkness and we are proud to announce the game development is off hiatus now because we have already started planning in-game ideas. 

Hope everyone is excited for the return of Pokemon Darkness and have a great day/night.

Hi guys, as a new recruit to this fangame, I can tell you I am very excited for the outcome of this game we are making. Even If I just make the official art for characters in this game, my involvement still gives me high hopes. And I can tell you, the story is gonna be AWESOME. If you want to join into our team, go ahead :) we are looking forward for your help.

Edited by aGoodCabinet2

On 12/21/2016 at 4:23 PM, aGoodCabinet2 said:

Hi guys, as a new recruit to this fangame, I can tell you I am very excited for the outcome of this game we are making. Even If I just make the official art for characters in this game, my involvement still gives me high hopes. And I can tell you, the story is gonna be AWESOME. If you want to join into our team, go ahead :) we are looking forward for your help.

Hello everyone. We are very welcome to have agood join Team Darkness as an artist and more for the project. :) Thank you for your kind words and enthusiasm agoodcabinet though.

The team has a question which we put in the poll and we would like your feedback about it if possible and thanks for helping us out if you answer the new question in the poll.

Have a great holidays and we will be back to working on this asap. :D