Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

• Developers

It's a cool concept but I think the standard potions work better in this case. It's a lot more fair early game, as gel's wouldn't be very effective in the early stages. You know when a Gym Leader uses a potion and you're like "Aw no, now I've gotta take it down again"? Yeah. If a potion only restores 20% well then they're only helping you out, as you're probably doing more than 20% a hit.

The normal scaling of potions works quite well anyway where if you have the correct potions then you can fully heal up at all levels and at all stages of the game.

How about going for middle ground and having gels for late game but keeping potions and super potions with their original function for early game? Or having gels on harder modes? No idea really, in pokemon games, you rarely ever need anything higher than hypoer potions for finishing the main story..

Also, on the matter of optional content and stuff. I say, if you intended these things to be in your game, insert them. You will never make everyone happy, nor should you try to. But in this case,as you said, they are optional, so those who are not interested in these things don't have to do them. If, however, you don't implement these optional things, you will be totally excluding your playerbase that is interested in side stuff, and that seems like the worse choice.

How about going for middle ground and having gels for late game but keeping potions and super potions with their original function for early game? Or having gels on harder modes? No idea really, in pokemon games, you rarely ever need anything higher than hypoer potions for finishing the main story..

Also, on the matter of optional content and stuff. I say, if you intended these things to be in your game, insert them. You will never make everyone happy, nor should you try to. But in this case,as you said, they are optional, so those who are not interested in these things don't have to do them. If, however, you don't implement these optional things, you will be totally excluding your playerbase that is interested in side stuff, and that seems like the worse choice.

Hmm... I may just make the gels as an extra form of healing, but are a bit more expensive, and have different additional properties to them, like raising happiness or something.

I never really planned on excluding them, since almost all the extra content in the game is related to extra parts of those characters development, past what they've already developed. Besides, I think that some people will really enjoy doing the movies and the upcoming new content that I will announce in about a month or so.

Okay, so, here's a little update for today. First off, I made some changes to the game's skit mechanics, in that, before you COULD, if you were clever and thought outside the box, activate a skit while you're already talking to someone. That has been fixed, and you could also activate a skit while you were fishing or doing any kind of thing that isn't event related, like starting up a hidden move animation or whatever. Now, that is not possible and can no longer be activated, unless you are in full-control of the character. So, sadly people, no bugs or exploits for you there ;)

Secondly, I added the Gels into the game, but, are mainly used as late game items, that you get on the second continent. On the second continent they are sold more commonly than Potions, since they are much more of a commodity there, and that they are multi-use, in that, they can be used as a substitute for food. But, as Lloyd Irving himself once said, and I quote:

"Gels provide enough sustenance to get by, however, their price makes their use as food uneconomical compared to standard dishes that can be prepared using common ingredients."

So, the people of the second continent find them to be quite a lot more useful than Potions, since they can also be used as food for both humans and Pokemon. And how they work are as such:

As a side-note: There are no gels that can heal you 100%, so you have to make do with percentages that are there, otherwise, well...

Apple Gels heal - 20%

Lemon Gels heal - 60%

Orange Gels heal - 20% of PP

Pineapple Gels heal - 60% of PP

Melange Gels heal - 30% of HP and PP

Miracle Gels heal - 60% of both HP and PP

The calculations for the Gels, for those of you unfamiliar, doesn't heal you by a percentage of a percentage, because that's just bad. It heals you by adding a percentage, rather than a percentage-percentage. Think of it like this: If you have 30% HP, and you use a Lemon Gel, it will heal you up to 90%. But, if it were a percentage of a percentage healing, it would instead do this: 30% (let's say 119HP) + Lemon Gel = roughly... +71HP, which is a lot less than if it were just adding a single percentage rather than calculating based off of your current percentage of health. (My math was probably a little bit off, but eh, I'm sure you get the idea. Calculating based off of percentages of percentages are bad.)

Speaking of the Second Continent, here is the first area of the Second Continent that you will arrive at, once you head there. This is Horizon City, also known as a small port city that people often travel to and from at. Currently this map is still a work in progress, because I have a little bit of a headache coming on, and I've been in front of my computer all day, doing this. But, when this map is finished, I will show off the final results. It is also the first place that you can go to that has a Day Care, so that's good ;D For those of you, who're into that kind of thing.

inb4 someone mentions: Can you put your characters Partner Pokemon in there, i.e. Eevee, Umbreon, Dialga, Lucario, Zorua, and Gardevoir? The answer is no, I did in-fact think ahead for that one. Again, no bugs for you people ;)

c913ccd7c5f6d1255a2735c831070e7a.png

Last thing: I decided that this game will be a Reborn exclusive game, because trust issues with other fan-game websites. Plus, I think a lot of the people here on the forums are very trust-worthy folk ;) That said, I hope no one makes me think otherwise.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 3

Anywho, here is the final version of Horizon City: I may make some changes in the future, but for now, this is what I've got so far. To the south of this area is a boat dock, where is essentially the place to go, in order to go to and from the first and second continent. Also, continent != region; it's just another continent within the same region.

ecd6f8939dd10f5174045ced9ea3fbd7.png

• Upvote 2

I was scanning the characters of this game in the main post to do the poll and I saw hints of Symphonic Horizons 2 and prequels so is aspects of 2 going to be in this game or will the older characters and Symphonic 2 be their own game after you finish this game?

I saw your status about collabing with others so if you plan to do this, would it be after you make Symphonic Horizons 2 or before?

Anyways I am excited and wish you the best on all your projects and I know this will be amazing once it's done. The graphics and main post is amazing so good job. :D

Have a great day/night.

Edited by pbood2

The second game will have the characters after what happens in this game. And no, 2 is going to be using a completely different system, and will have more playable characters. Especially since I know how Pokemon Essentials was built, and how everything functions from one script to the other; the game will be built from the ground up. Among other things that I can't say much of, since that game isn't going to be worked on for another year or so; despite the game already being written.

I will only collab with select people, and that's a hard maybe. And even then, something that won't happen for years, since I spend my time working hard on my game and not hastily working on it. That and I have to spend a lot of money on my game, several thousand dollars (literally), and I prefer working alone on my game.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your support!

So, I've come to the realization that I haven't thanked everyone here on the Reborn forums enough for bringing me this far into my game's development. Even though I only just recently decided to make a forum post for my game, I've been working on this project for 4 years now, ever since I was a Sophomore in High School, when I was starting to like the idea of making my own Rom Hacked Pokemon game. It turned out that idea didn't go so well, because of my lack of knowledge with hex editing, and now I do know how that all works, so go me XD

Over the years I started out as a noobie with no real idea for how my game would go, or what kind of ideas I wanted to incorporate into it, but as time went by, I learned new things, new techniques, and the ability to understand programming. At the same time, I met some wonderful people along the way - many of whom I never thought that I'd become friends with. All of which are people who I commissioned for artwork, anime stylized animations that come from an actual animation studio, and other things related. Also to some very dedicated fans! To all of them I am infinitely grateful to meet and become friends and close acquaintances with.

So, I wanted to let everyone know how truly grateful I am for everything that you guys have done. If it weren't for a lot of you, I probably would've quit making my game 2 years ago XD Even though around that time I hadn't nearly spent as much money on the project as I have now. It's up there in the 5 digits now, thanks to last years commissions ;w;

I know this was a tad sappy, but, I kinda felt that I needed to get that out there, after awhile. Heheh ^^; So, to my fans, and friends who've helped me along thus far, thank you very much! If by some freak chance that I stop making my game, let it be known that there is probably a bigger fish out there for you guys to follow. It's been a really stressful year for me, tension and expectations have been high, so to those of you who've been following me for awhile, I hope you all understand if the game may get delayed from time to time.

I'm starting to get old and busy, and with it my time for my game is starting to dwindle. So, I will attempt to make as much progress as I can with my game, before life starts intervening and I begin to lose progress on my game because of it.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 3

The second game will have the characters after what happens in this game. And no, 2 is going to be using a completely different system, and will have more playable characters.

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it over time. :)

Especially since I know how Pokemon Essentials was built, and how everything functions from one script to the other; the game will be built from the ground up. Among other things that I can't say much of, since that game isn't going to be worked on for another year or so; despite the game already being written.

Sounds like a lot of work but you've done awesome so far so I'm sure you'll keep doing awesome even with the sequel. :D Smart idea to plan the next game writing already though so you can have an outline for when you do start to do Symphonic Horizons 2.

I will only collab with select people, and that's a hard maybe.

I only brought it up because I saw your status but it's a good idea to be picky so I wish you good luck if you do end up collabing. :)

And even then, something that won't happen for years, since I spend my time working hard on my game and not hastily working on it. That and I have to spend a lot of money on my game, several thousand dollars (literally), and I prefer working alone on my game.

You need lots of money to make these games? If you don't mind me asking, what do you need the money for in the game's development? Being alone has its perks shown by this game and Zumi's game but I am personally for teams when it comes to games because Se7en and Reborn for examples are awesome games done by amazing teams.

Thank you for your support!

So, I've come to the realization that I haven't thanked everyone here on the Reborn forums enough for bringing me this far into my game's development.

Thanks for acknowledging the support your fans give because your game is amazing and we can't wait for it so it's appreciated you see it. :)

Even though I only just recently decided to make a forum post for my game, I've been working on this project for 4 years now, ever since I was a Sophomore in High School, when I was starting to like the idea of making my own Rom Hacked Pokemon game. It turned out that idea didn't go so well, because of my lack of knowledge with hex editing, and now I do know how that all works, so go me XD

4 years!? and you're just making a post/thread just a while ago only. I guess it's up to the person to decide when they should make a thread. You definitely have an amazing first post and thread so good job to you for that. :D

Over the years I started out as a noobie with no real idea for how my game would go, or what kind of ideas I wanted to incorporate into it, but as time went by, I learned new things, new techniques, and the ability to understand programming. At the same time, I met some wonderful people along the way - many of whom I never thought that I'd become friends with. All of which are people who I commissioned for artwork, anime stylized animations, and other things related. Also to some very dedicated fans! To all of them I am infinitely grateful to meet and become friends and close acquaintances with.

I know I am only talking to you now but I do hope we can be fangame friends in the future because your game is awesome and being able to share advice or tips would be an amazing opportunity in my opinion. :) I'm so happy for you that you have made strong and important friendships over the course of your game's development though.

So, I wanted to let everyone know how truly grateful I am for everything that you guys have done. If it weren't for a lot of you, I probably would've quit making my game 2 years ago XD Even though around that time I hadn't nearly spent as much money on the project as I have now. It's up there in the 5 digits now, thanks to last years commissions ;w;

I know what you mean. The support of the team and Reborn has also helped me progress and stay motivated so I'm glad they were able to help you as well. 5 digits!? DAMN, I hope you put that money to great use for your game. :D

I know this was a tad sappy, but, I kinda felt that I needed to get that out, after awhile. Heheh ^^; So, to my fans, and friends who've helped me along thus far, thank you very much! If by some freak chance that I stop making my game, let it be known that there is probably a bigger fish out there for you guys to follow. Mine might be impressive to some, and original to many, but there will always be someone else for you guys to keep an eye on.

Thanks again and you're awesome like I've said before so we should be thanking you for coming up with this fangame for sure. I disagree that there are bigger fish because your concept like you said is very unique and different and I doubt very many other people would come up with something like this so I do hope you stay motivated and rock this game's development over time.

Sorry for the super big reply but I wanted to say my thoughts on your posts. :)

Have a great night/day. Talk to you later.

Sorry for the super big reply but I wanted to say my thoughts on your posts. :)

Have a great night/day. Talk to you later.

It's fine, I don't mind. I'm glad you appreciate everything that I've done, and that I've been doing this for a long time. In-fact... even longer than 4 years now. I've been into Rom Hacking since I was 11 years old, which was 9 years ago, now XD

Indeed. I work hard and am willing to tough through things, even it proves difficult to me. For me, I'm willing to pay several thousand dollars, literally, to get the job done, rather than relying on others. I prefer to work alone, and am willing to show that I can make a game look fantastic without the need of having people do the work for me - it also allows me to further increase my skills beyond what I was capable of, since I don't have someone else doing it for me.

Not only that, but paying for these things gives a sense of ownership over the things that I've done, and shows that I'm willing to do anything. It also allows me to meet new people, and become acquainted with folks that other people wouldn't otherwise come across.

The artwork and every sprite, and every thing you will find in this thread was paid for, through my own miserable, blood, sweat and tears. And it's because of that reason is why I don't wish to have a team. I can feel proud of what I've worked for, and see how it all paid off, even if I know that paying for nothing more than just a fan-game is going to do nothing for me in the end. It's knowing that I made this all happen with my own hands, through my own image, and that I accomplished and paid for this all on my own. I do it because I respect the series that this game is based off of to a degree that would seem borderline idiotic: Tales and Pokemon.

But to those of you who have a team, good on you, but I prefer to make my game the way I see it being. By my own hands, and through my own vision; with the blood and sweat that I put into a job just to get life breathed into the game, because for me... there is no outing. I've chosen the path of a lone game developer, and that is why I prefer to work alone. Sorry if that post sounded a tad ranty, I didn't mean for it to XD

tl;dr: I'm a prideful idiot who prefers to work alone, because I want to know that I did this all myself, through my own hard efforts. Even at the cost of me spending 10,000+ dollars at this point. Because, I really don't care how I end up, so long as I do what needs to be done.

------------------------------------------------------

Even still, I also wanted to make mention to that I am now bound to a contract by a certain studio that I'm good friends with, and it's going to be bringing up the budget of my game well past what most would consider to be sane. My work could be considered the work of an idiot, but I don't mind taking the risks that no else is willing to. After all, at this point, I've got not much else to lose, so I might as well make the most of what I can, while I can, before I become a busy sod who is then bound by the sturdy walls of reality that is school and work.

But, even if my game does vanish and even if you say my game, for what it is, being as original and as different as it is: there will always be a bigger fish that comes along.

Sadly though... I cannot incorporate any new engine for my current game, since I learned all of Essentials only a year ago, and that was around the time that I already created the systems that are currently present now. If there is one thing that I'd like to do, is work on that new engine, for this game, but sadly that wouldn't work out well at all.

Lastly, I may go into a period of hiding from the internet for awhile, as I work on my game. Mainly so that I can work in peace, and doing what I do best - being alone as I work to create my vision a reality.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Wellp, your tldr sums it up I guess, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. You're right that doing things yourself is the best way to hone your skills (Dylan used hone claws :ph34r:) . Your enormous dedication will always be unrivaled and should you ever discontinue your project for whatever reason.. I can't imagine there will be anyone out there to top what you've accomplished.

I do hope, however, for your own sake, that you consider toning down these tendencies you have in your real life, as they may one day really drive you to something akin to rock bottom and that will not be good on you. In this world we live in, it's sometimes necessary to let go of one's pride in order to "survive" or not fall into the slump of society.

They say no money is wasted if spent on something valuable to yourself, but always make sure you don't overspend and make sure you're able to get by properly before anything else :P

All in all, never forget, we appreciate you and what you do just as much as you appreciate us. That among other reasons is why it's important for motivation to interact with your fanbase...so even if it took you 4 years, we're all glad you decided to make a post for this project.

• Upvote 3

Wellp, your tldr sums it up I guess, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. You're right that doing things yourself is the best way to hone your skills (Dylan used hone claws :ph34r:) . Your enormous dedication will always be unrivaled and should you ever discontinue your project for whatever reason.. I can't imagine there will be anyone out there to top what you've accomplished.

I do hope, however, for your own sake, that you consider toning down these tendencies you have in your real life, as they may one day really drive you to something akin to rock bottom and that will not be good on you. In this world we live in, it's sometimes necessary to let go of one's pride in order to "survive" or not fall into the slump of society.

They say no money is wasted if spent on something valuable to yourself, but always make sure you don't overspend and make sure you're able to get by properly before anything else :P

All in all, never forget, we appreciate you and what you do just as much as you appreciate us. That among other reasons is why it's important for motivation to interact with your fanbase...so even if it took you 4 years, we're all glad you decided to make a post for this project.

I'm probably not gonna tone down my spending, considering spending money on my project is all I can do, now XD But, this game is very valuable and meaningful to myself, and if my game were to get shut down by GF or something, then I don't know what I'd do anymore ;w; But, I am glad that you've and everyone else has been so patient with me, even if I've once before promised time and time again that I would release my game, but didn't. Besides, I've got nothing to lose, and if something does happen, then I'll just use my head like I always do ;) I've gotten out of worse situations before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as a casual aside to this: I created a new ability for Allan Monochroma, which is called Time Leap, and it does exactly as you think it would do ;)

You gain access to this ability roughly around the endgame, and in the story it allows for Allan and his Pokemon to move five-tenths of a second (.5s) through time, which... doesn't sound like a whole lot, but believe me, it is. Especially if you're someone who is as fast as Allan and his Pokemon, which can make great use of that half a second's worth of time.

This is Allan's one and only Time related ability, and he can't really use those sorts of abilities, because he's not a "Demi-god" like Hiro is, and doesn't possess powers that were granted to her. Hiro was brought up to Divine power, but Allan was more or less protecting her from anyone who ventured into the City of the Timeless as she did her job. But, that didn't stop him from learning some form of Time Manipulation during a time of crisis, and when put in a critical spot.

In-battle this ability has a 10% chance of activating, and will allow you to get the first strike, regardless if they use Protect, Detect, whatever it is, you will get that first hit. Basically, it's Allan ultimate ability and is a huge "F-You" to Pokemon that love to use Protecting moves, or any kind of high priority based moves.

Edited by Dylanrockin

I'll be honest in that I don't think nintendo will shut down your game. If they did though, you have way too much original content and work put in here to let it go to waste. I can think of a few different ways to get around this, but that'd mean quite a bundle of work remaking the battle system and a few of the Pokemon sprites. It's always good to have a little bit of fear as it makes you aware of what you're doing. Just be careful with your spending.

I'll be honest in that I don't think nintendo will shut down your game. If they did though, you have way too much original content and work put in here to let it go to waste. I can think of a few different ways to get around this, but that'd mean quite a bundle of work remaking the battle system and a few of the Pokemon sprites. It's always good to have a little bit of fear as it makes you aware of what you're doing. Just be careful with your spending.

There are ways to get around this sort of thing? I remember someone saying that Game Freak allowed for us to use their assets or something, somewhere, but I don't know if that's true or not. But, that's a lingering fear that I have, with my game is it being shut down. However, I know not of what the definition of careful spending is XD

But, at the moment I am taking a small break from my game, about a couple days or so, so that way I don't get burnt out. And, I've been catching up on some Tales of TV translations, which... are freaking hilarious, if you have not yet read any of it. If you're a huge Tales fan, READ IT!

tumblr_nvtum0ldHi1qzo7dyo2_540.pngtumblr_nxfv0np0Ji1qbqs0xo1_540.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have a random question for some of my readers, but, how do you guys like the very... Fantasy feel of my game? Because, sometimes I feel that the main series of Pokemon doesn't fully utilize it's Fantasy themes, because for all intents and purposes Pokemon is a Fantasy series. <---- actually people could debate about that all day, but for me personally, I view it more as a Fantasy franchise with technology-porn™, every now and then.

What I'm mainly trying to get at here, is if people like the very Fantasy feel for this style of Pokemon game? It's more delved in the mystical and divine aspects of Pokemon, and the Trainers that use them, along with said Trainers having special abilities/powers that they were innately born with or learned from some higher power. In Hiro's case, she had powers that were passed onto her, and Krista was innately born with healing powers (which she soon lost, thanks to... reasons, but got them back in the story of the game) and having a more... divine relation towards Pokemon. I mainly want to know how you guys feel about my decision in exploring the more deeper, fantasy elements that the main series doesn't explore as much as it could do.

Side Note: New Artwork coming in maybe... a few days, which will show the "new" character. I say that in quotes because it's technically the same character, but changes appearance as a means of disguise.

New Ability as well: This is a compound ability for Marissa and it's called "Name Pending" because I don't have a name for it yet. But, basically this ability will allow for her Pokemon, once they make a contacting attack, to absorb 2PP from the opponents (randomly), 30% of the time. So, it lends itself use to her very "technical" play-style, as well as being somewhat disruptive. As opposed to Allan, where he is all about technique and skill, with no form of disruption.

Edited by Dylanrockin

I never really thought much about it. I just took it as it is- the game is heavily based on tales of games, so it was simply normal for it to go there. In pokemon games, I always felt a kind of disappointment in the fact people only really use their pokemon for battles and never really for actual cooperation bar some instances of machokes moving things and whatnot. I'd like to see more "field effects" of pokemon like in ranger games I guess

In a normal pokemon game, however, I probably wouldn't wanna see speshul snowflake trainers ( I'm sorry, I loathe ashfrog and that whole plot) UNLESS they are really going to go back to what they told us in sinnoh lore, that pokemon and humans were once the same being , which would probably get disturbing fast.. Anyway, not even sure this is related to your question but, yeah, generally, if it were a regular pokemon game, I'd probably mind trainers randomly having special abilities from nowhere, but since it's based on one such series of games that go there, then I don't mind and take it for what it's aimed to be.. Did that even make sense.. Oh well

I never really thought much about it. I just took it as it is- the game is heavily based on tales of games, so it was simply normal for it to go there. In pokemon games, I always felt a kind of disappointment in the fact people only really use their pokemon for battles and never really for actual cooperation bar some instances of machokes moving things and whatnot. I'd like to see more "field effects" of pokemon like in ranger games I guess

In a normal pokemon game, however, I probably wouldn't wanna see speshul snowflake trainers ( I'm sorry, I loathe ashfrog and that whole plot) UNLESS they are really going to go back to what they told us in sinnoh lore, that pokemon and humans were once the same being , which would probably get disturbing fast.. Anyway, not even sure this is related to your question but, yeah, generally, if it were a regular pokemon game, I'd probably mind trainers randomly having special abilities from nowhere, but since it's based on one such series of games that go there, then I don't mind and take it for what it's aimed to be.. Did that even make sense.. Oh well

I'm not sure if I'd be able to accomplish that wish of cooperation, but, perhaps for the 2nd game, where I actually plan on working on it from the ground up. But, since this is a Pokemon game that is more focused on the humans, rather than the Pokemon aspect of things, it's mostly the humans that do the work in the overworld; which some people may like, and not like.

It made sense to me, at least XD But, there are human -> Pokemon transformations, but it doesn't do anything, since it's mainly used as a form of disguise, and has no use other than just that. But, that's because of plot reasons, not sure if I want to actually use that idea, since it's mainly only used via a mcguffin and can only be drank by humans known as "Planet Heralds" which...

is what Velvet (the witch who I showed off in a previous post was, and is the reason why she has a tail)

and it's main purpose is to use transformation as a means of protection and disguising oneself from danger. But, humans and Pokemon are not the same being, as that would be really weird. I even confirmed that in the game's canon, so that people don't get weird thoughts.

Other than that, it doesn't give them powers, and I see it more like that one episode from that anime where Ash got turned into a Pikachu by a Witch, for those of you who saw it.

I'm just fascinated by the idea of Transformations, which is why Verdant is a thing, as well as the Herald's Disguise. Why the Herald's Disguise is a thing is because the water that is drank by them grants them special abilities, and one of them is just that. But, I'm still on the fence about that one, because I don't know how people really feel about a Pokemon/Human transforming as a means of disguising oneself, but then again... Pokemon like Mew and Ditto can already do that, as well as Zorua XD

BTW's Ash-Greninja is kinda cringe-worthy, and it feels a lot like Verdant Transformation from my game :L It's also funny, because I came up with the idea of Verdant Transformation several months before XY and Z came about. Like it was in... May or so, and that was way before that XD

Edited by Dylanrockin

Your game and its world can pull such things off .. I mean we had Bill stuck as a Pokemon back in the first gens as well so it's not that weird.

Things like Ashfrog though..that simply came out of nowhere and is cringe-worthy indeed. It's no mega but it's going to rek all the megas it faces eventually (Speaking of which, I'm going to be a salt factory if mega zard x loses this thursday) . It's even more ridiculous since Ash has no stronger bond with his frog than he SHOULD have with his pikasheet and yet... Well I'm just choosing to view it as their excuse to give ash ANYTHING resembling a mega since he has no pokemon on him that actually can megavolve (Seriously though, thatanime is making me hate greninja :I )

Edited by Masquerain

Your game and its world can pull such things off .. I mean we had Bill stuck as a Pokemon back in the first gens as well so it's not that weird.

Things like Ashfrog though..that simply came out of nowhere and is cringe-worthy indeed. It's no mega but it's going to rek all the megas it faces eventually (Speaking of which, I'm going to be a salt factory if mega zard x loses this thursday) . It's even more ridiculous since Ash has no stronger bond with his frog than he SHOULD have with his pikasheet and yet... Well I'm just choosing to view it as their excuse to give ash ANYTHING resembling a mega since he has no pokemon on him that actually can megavolve (Seriously though, thatanime is making me hate greninja :I )

Yeah, but the one thing I'm worried most about it is people taking that kind of transformation WAY out of context, and disliking the game because of it. It has no purpose other than being a disguise, not me trying to make my game show off it's furry appeal :L Plus it can only be used by very, VERY specific humans. It's literally the same thing as if Zorua, Mew, or Ditto were to transform into a human, it's the exact same thing. No purpose, other than disguise.

Which is coincidentally why Vivian's Greninja can Verdant Transform, as opposed to... whatever Ash-Greninja is XD And Verdant Transformation doesn't change the Pokemon's appearance, other than turning them into their alternate colored variant, and giving them bio-electricity around them, with a blue aura. There be no Ash-Greninja in my game, no sir ;) I'm actually contemplating having Vivian fight Ash in some non-canon, cameo battle, for shits and giggles. But, yes, I am going to be watching the new episode, this Thursday as well, and I'm hoping not to be disappointed by the outcome of that fight. I'm still probably going to be hilariously disappointed, and cry myself to sleep. In that order XD

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

So, I just wanted to make a quick update for today: I've been working on redoing A LOT of the dialogue in the game, since there is a lot of inconsistencies and plot holes, riddled every which way. So, I've taken up doing that, for this week, as opposed to me doing maps, or finishing up my Character Abilities Project. Having a more clean, and consistent plot seems better to me, since when I was playing back some parts of the game I was just like "dafuq? I wrote this garbage?" So, I ended up changing a lot of the dialogue, so it's more... "up to date" let's say.

As for other things, I added in new items and item effects into the game, most of which have their uses, and tend to be leaning themselves towards another mechanic that I may or may not have for SH1. But, these items kind of lend themselves use to that "new" mechanic idea. If I can work out the kinks, I may have it as an added feature, but it depends, I would need some people's inputs on it, once I get around to announcing it.

• Upvote 1

Soooooo, here goes another session of "What I changed and how it used to look." Yesterday I worked on remodeling the Brennan Estate, once again. This time, it was the indoor area of the Estate, and now... it looks way better.

Before: Ugly, ugly, and more ugly.

f957754188de6eae64df15f2e60326af.png

After: The stairs were changed and the layout is different. Now it's no longer stupid-ugly symmetrical with silly design choices thrown in. I also threw in a balcony for Helena's room, which, I think look spectacular, I don't about you.

ce7417f034c7077f43fe1d4a9e32ab25.png

And, I completed another map, which connects to a new forest area of the game, on the 2nd continent, as well as one of the game's many Sanctuaries.

6df2e185f706513a5dfdf500558f2256.png

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Yup, I was half expecting that XD

idk why it always ends up that way... It just feels like it was more unique and stood out as an estate the old way. This room felt like a big library-ish hallway in the old version, now it kind of feels..odd

or maybe i just have trouble accepting change!!... o3o

idk why it always ends up that way... It just feels like it was more unique and stood out as an estate the old way. This room felt like a big library-ish hallway in the old version, now it kind of feels..odd

or maybe i just have trouble accepting change!!... o3o

But at the same time, there are those who critique every little thing that has no feeling of "Pokemon," and will then say that I'm doing it wrong. Being different, apparently, to some critics is a bad thing, and that I need to "stick to the norm," as they say. But, I try to implement my maps, in my own original style, as opposed to traditional Pokemon, since... I find it a bit boring, when it's traditional :P Not that what they say is wrong, or anything, but at the same time, I prefer to try something different.

Also, I wanted to announce some new sprite changes, to all the characters. Well... it's more like, cutscene exclusive sprite changes, but, in the coming weeks/month, there will be something... interesting to look forward to, in regards to them.

And, I wanted to make mention to the, in the works, new battle mechanics that I will be implementing, at some point. Possibly after I finish the Character Abilities, definitely after the Ability Matrix is completed. But, this new battle mechanic will allow for Normal type moves to become... decently viable, by allowing for certain, special items to alter how those normal type moves work. So, if you were to have your Pokemon hold a Dark Type variant of this item, then (certain) normal type moves will have altered variants, which gain new effects, on top of their usual effect, and will become Dark Type. This will apply for any of the types, as well.

I don't know how people will receive this, since it's only for Normal Type moves that can be turned into altered forms, but I actually like the sound of it, because that's what Tales of Vesperia did with it's skill system. Example from Vesperia: Yuri's Divine Wolf with the Wind attribute, will change Divine Wolf into Divine Wolf: Gale.

At least this way it will make Normal Type moves viable, and actually useful XD However, this is all in theory, as I have not done much for it yet, aside from one move. But, I may end up working on this, sometime in the future, around the time that I finish all the abilities and the ability matrix.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1