Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

The new estate seems more to my liking.

it has more character than the other one that was symmetrical which in my opinion is just really dull (I'm not the library type so perhaps that's why) and there is the cost of making things symmetrical which while it could make things look cleaner, it makes things look really artificial which I don't think suit the home environment.

I don't know how estates usually look on the inside since I'm just a mere common folk but yeah. Good job.

Q: How many 'Tales of' games have you played? I played Xillia, Innocence, Symphonia Chronicles, and Zestiria. Nothing seemed to beat Symphonia in my opinion. I wanted Vesperia but no 360 and PS3 was all in JP.

The new estate seems more to my liking.

it has more character than the other one that was symmetrical which in my opinion is just really dull (I'm not the library type so perhaps that's why) and there is the cost of making things symmetrical which while it could make things look cleaner, it makes things look really artificial which I don't think suit the home environment.

I don't know how estates usually look on the inside since I'm just a mere common folk but yeah. Good job.

Q: How many 'Tales of' games have you played? I played Xillia, Innocence, Symphonia Chronicles, and Zestiria. Nothing seemed to beat Symphonia in my opinion. I wanted Vesperia but no 360 and PS3 was all in JP.

True that, I thought the old design was boring and dull.

A: I've played almost all of them, including the spin-offs, and PSP games. To give you the full list of Tales Games that I've played, here you go:

Tales of Phantasia - SNES/PS1 version

Tales of Eternia

Tales of Destiny 1 and 2

Tales of Symphonia - Gamecube, PS2, and the PS3 version. Yes, I own all 3 versions of Symphonia.

Tales of Innoncence

Tales of Hearts - DS and Vita

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 1,2 and 3. 3 is the best IMO, because you can customize all the characters from every Tales game, up to that point in the series, as well as play with all of them. There is a lot of post-game content, and there are even titles to be unlocked for every character, which was not present in the previous 2 games.

Tales of VS. - Really meh Smash Bros clone for the PSP

Tales of the Abyss - PS2 and 3DS version

Tales of Xillia 1 and 2

Tales of Fandom 1 and 2 - these games are weird, and a translation for them is very necessary

Tales of Graces f

Tales of Zestiria

Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Dynasty Warriors clone, but strangely addicting and fun.

Tales of Vesperia - 360 and PS3 version. PS3 version is way better because there is a lot more optional content, and Yuri is 1000x more OP. You can solo the entire game on Unknown difficulty with Yuri. It is so awesome.

Tales of Legendia

Tales of the World - Reve Unitia. I literally just got this game for my Japanese 3DS, and I have not yet played it. I have seen footage of it though, and thus I am an "expert" XD

So, that about sums up all the Tales games that I've played. Let it be known that I am a freaking Tales dork XD I am super looking forward to Tales of Berseria. And my favorite Tales game is obviously Symphonia, if the title of my game's name didn't already give it away.

As sad as it is for me to say: I've played more Tales than I have Pokemon. If you were to see all the save files that I have on my Gamecube for Tales of Symphonia, you'd be quite surprised with how much I played it.

I suppose it's nothin different to aerilate or pixilate or refrigerate

It's actually better than those ;) In-fact, I plan on making a whole new amount of changes to those abilities as well. But, the difference here is that: The moves get a name change, and get an extra added effect, on top of becoming whichever type item you're holding/ability.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Wow, you sure ain't no tales of fan, nope , nope. Whatever led me to think otherwise??? :ph34r::P

and here i am having played a grand total of 0

Wellp, I'm usually not too keen on seeing too many new moves or new types in pokemon fangames, but I shallt give this the benefit of the doubt until actually seeing it

Wow, you sure ain't no tales of fan, nope , nope. Whatever led me to think otherwise??? :ph34r::P

and here i am having played a grand total of 0

Wellp, I'm usually not too keen on seeing too many new moves or new types in pokemon fangames, but I shallt give this the benefit of the doubt until actually seeing it

Well, lucky for you, I too don't really care much for new types, which is why I don't ever plan on including them, ever ;D

But these new moves can be used by opponents as well, and not just you, so there is some balance there, among other things.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Well, lucky for you, I too don't really care much for new types, which is why I don't ever plan on including them, ever ;D

But these new moves can be used by opponents as well, and not just you, so there is some balance there, among other things.

Well it'll be interesting enough to not expect what's coming . The feeling of playing a blind run is exciting since you won't be used to every attack coming your way

Well it'll be interesting enough to not expect what's coming . The feeling of playing a blind run is exciting since you won't be used to every attack coming your way

Indeed, I may also include a new set of Pokemon abilities that do the same thing as Pixilate and whatnot, except that each type has it's own version of it. But, there are also item versions that a Pokemon can hold in order to create "Altered Techniques" as I explained above. The Pokemon abilities will do the same thing, as well, of course ;D

I think that's a bit too much, to make the abilities too.. I mean, eh, it's kind of redundant and makes abilities seem less... unique I guess

Well, it's a good thing that I haven't even started on it yet, since I am still looking for feedback on this stuff.

One last thing I wanted to mention for this week, is that I will be including a new unlockable set of costumes for the 6 main characters. And those 6 costumes that you can unlock are actually costumes of characters from the Tales series. In order, these are what the characters will be representing from the Tales series:

Vice Braving - Lloyd Irving: Tales of Symphonia

Marissa Brennan - Colette Brunel: Tales of Symphonia

Vivian Vance - Suzu Fujibayashi: Tales of Phantasia (I know some people want her ancestor: Sheena Fujibayashi, but, I feel that there is enough Symphonia representatives already. Plus Suzu is cool af. Not as cool as Sheena, but still cool.)

Allan Monochroma - Yuri Lowell: Tales of Vesperia

Krista Harper - Elize Lutus: Tales of Xillia

Hiro Monochroma - Pascal: Tales of Graces

I may or may not include more Tales costumes, but I feel that this first set is good for now :) These costumes will be worked on, around next month or the month after.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Tales of Symphonia gets that special treatment ^.^

(Was trying to post some yt link but failed)

Symphonia does get the special treatment, indeed. But, it's more like the Aselia Tales games that get the special treatment, rather. Aselia games = Phantasia, Symphonia, Narikiri Dungeon 1-3 and Summoner's Lineage.

But, here's a small update for today. New sprites have been added into the game, which will help make cutscenes a lot more dynamic and interesting to watch, since... well... tomorrow I will be showing off a video of what I mean, but it's only done once in the scene. It's to help give the characters more emotion and allows them to express themselves without having to awkwardly turn the characters for dramatic effect or whatever.

Tomorrow is going to show off what I mean. However, today I planned on uploading it, but I ended up having to be with my Aunt the past 2 days, and got myself a new car at a dealership. So, that's cool :D Now I have a new car that doesn't suck a**. So, because of that, I've been a little bit preoccupied and haven't done diddly-squat with my game, for those past 2 days. However, I swear, I am almost done with the Arc that I am on, all these scenes are nothing but cutscenes. However, I did have one or 2 sections of actual character controlled gameplay, so that way you can have a break to save or do other things, etc.

Also, I will be showing off the Tales costumes sometime this week or next week, whichever comes fastest. But, I have also started working on several new maps, in the process. Mainly maps for the 2nd continent, but tomorrow I plan on getting a lot of work done. Hopefully.

• Upvote 1

Intriguing, the sound of more dynamic cutscenes sounds quite awesweet

Indeed, there be some... very unique things to be coming out of it, and I will be showing them off, in the near future ;D Also, update, here is a "new" character. I say new, because this character is already established within the game since the beginning. However, this is what I was foreshadowing for the past... week or two. This is Ninetales in her "Herald's Disguise," which is basically the a Pokemon/Human gaining the ability to transform into a Pokemon/Human, as a means of disguising oneself. You might've remembered this with Velvet Rose the Witch who had a tail as well.

inb4 people make furry comments or something incredibly disgusting. This does not equal humans having any relation to Pokemon. This is literally the same thing as if Zorua were to use it's Illusion ability. In fact, it IS the exact same thing. However, Pokemon when transformed cannot use their abilities as a human, and vice versa.

In relation to the story, the Herald's Disguise was a way for the Planet Herald to be ensured safety, as a means of disguising oneself as a Pokemon. However, very, VERY certain Pokemon who have drank the "Water of the Outer Heavens" or "Ultra Celestial Water" can gain this ability as well. But, the transformation is limited to the body mass of the human, so you cannot become a Weedle or something completely silly like that. It has to be equal to the size of the humans form in mass.

This is a very strange thing for a lot of people, but... that's just the weirdness of J-RPG's I suppose :P Especially Tales games. I mean, have you even played Zestiria?! That shiz is weird af!

commishdylanrockinninetailshumanfina02_b

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

I feel like showing the design without a mere tail didn't really merit its own post update but wellp :ph34r: At this point since your world crosses that of Tales games, its quite normal to accept such things existing in it. I must say, it's interesting to see how a creator implements the rules of another universe in the pokemon world or vice versa

Yup, but there are people who expect my game to be traditional, since almost all Pokemon fan-games follow a non-abstract, story progression formula. So, to a lot of people, this kind of thing is extremely foreign to them, and is really weird. Which... is good XD I'm taking Pokemon's fantasy elements to it's extreme.

But, yes there are a lot of rules in my world, especially when it delves into the more mystical side of everything. You, unfortunately, did not get to that point in the story, but in the late future you will ;)

Edited by Dylanrockin

Mweh, change is often hard to take in and accept but, that's the beauty of it I guess. Not everyone will like all of it, but that's valid for anything in life. I will be interested to see the cross

Edited by Masquerain

Mweh, change is often hard to take in and accept but, that's the beauty of it I guess. Not everyone will like all of it, but that's valid for anything in life. I will be interested to see the cross

That is true, but I try to make the game as different as possible, without treading into moemon or fakemon territory. But especially moemon and gijinka territory, since this transformation is nowhere close to being either of them.

Also, as a side note there will be a showcase of 5 "new" characters, possibly, within the next couple days. However, these ones are special, in that, their faces are hidden and will not be revealed, until you all play the game. No spoilers here, as their designs are intentionally meant to be hiding their faces. That said, 3 out of the 5 are already known characters, and 1 of the remaining 2 is completely new, and the other one has already been revealed. Their facial features and regular clothes are hidden and wear special masks to hide their faces, while wearing special garbs.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you're not entering moemon or fakemon territory... That'd probably send me packing xD But hey, let's see dem cloaked chars o3o

Yeah, which is why Verdant is just a form that changes Eevee to it's alternate colored variant. The cloaked characters will be revealed, possibly in about 2-3 days or so.

Also, I've been super busy irl, and I have been procrastinating the crap out of uploading that one video that I promised. But, I plan on doing another video for the upcoming costumes, later this week as well ;)

So, here is a little update: As I mentioned the other day, I foreshadowed that there would be more dynamic animations for the characters during cutscenes, so that way they can display more emotion, rather than just awkwardly turning them. So, in this video, which is Vice vs. Alain #2, Vivian shakes her head, and you might say "Wait, is that it? Just that?" But, you'd be surprised. I have animations for each and every character to display several different kinds of expressions. There. are. many expressions XD This is just a snippit of what will be coming in the cutscenes.

However, that said, I will have to redo EVERY cutscene's move routes in the game, to accommodate these new changes. I know it will take more time than necessary, but, trust me, it's worth it ;D

Anywho, here is the video:

Also, the Movies option has now been added to the Load Screen, after you've finished the events in the City of the Timeless, and unlocked Hiro and Allan as playable characters:

4347fea219e4762078bd5c26f9c8bd26.png

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

tl;dr ramblings

At the moment, I owe my spriter several hundred dollars for the sprites that they make. But, those aren't the big problems that I have on my plate, at the moment. With the amount that I've commissioned in the past, paying those things off is a cake walk. No, what I'm talking about is a 4600 dollar debt that I owe to my aunt. Remember how I previously stated that she got me a car for free? Well, apparently at the last minute she said: Oh yeah, now I'm gonna have you start paying me back.

And I hear you asking me "Why do you owe so much?" Because, she had me believe that she would purchase for me any car that I wanted, for me maintaining my high GPA in college for so long, without having to pay her back. But, at the last minute she mentioned to me that I had to start paying her back for buying me the car that I use to get to school, and my real life job.

So, now every paycheck that I earn, about 70% of what I make will now go towards paying off the debt that I owe her, which is... I apologize for my language, bullshit. It was unexpected, and honestly, I wish I could rewind time and not agree to such a stupid offer. That said, it is only 70%, and the remaining 30 will be put towards my game.

That said, for as long as I've lived; I've dug myself out of bigger holes than this. Holes that were twice as big as this one, and were not nearly as forgiving. Compared to the kind of debt that I've been in, paying this off is as easy as taking a crap.

----------------------------------------------------------------

That said, debt or no debt - work will be getting done with my game. 4600 dollars is nothing in comparison to the amount of money that I've had looming over my head, in the past. What's more, I've got nothing to lose.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2