Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Then I shallt reconstruct my statement to not being a fan of Hiro's british pirate hunter costume

Well, you should also consider that these designs are more based off of anime renditions of pirates, and not actually what realistic pirates look like, since that would be a little uncanny. Most of which were inspired from references on google that resemble anime pirates.

Anime pirates don't really resemble british pirate hunters either but hey ;x maybe the rest will do the theme justice

Vice and Allan will definitely look like Pirates, but Hiro and the other females look like very cutesy, exaggrated, anime pirates ;)

Well..ew... not my cup of tea

Eh, well, I haven't seen the others yet, but for now that is what Hiro looks like uwu I'm not going for realism in the female pirate outfits, since it's a very anime game, and they're meant to be funny.

You'll never please everyone anyway,that's just how things go everytime.. Though I don't see your game as comedy so I can't see why costumes need to be funny, that ain't my business anyway since they're optional

The costumes aren't meant to be representative of the game's atmosphere. Just like in the Tales games, there are silly costumes all over the place that you can gain access to. And those games are as emotional as they come. Besides, if the game was all dark and dreary with little to no sense of humor, the game will feel very boring. A dark story is nice and all, but it doesn't hurt to have a game be fun and silly at times; a lot of games do that, and they're some of the best RPG's ever. That's why I made them, so that it shows character and that the game can be lighthearted at times.

Edited by Dylanrockin

With all costumes every character have, I'm curious how they turned out in-game whether in overworld, battles, and trainer card. So far the silliest costume (in a good way) is Vice's Beach Attire. It must be really funny wearing that costume while the atmosphere of the game is dark.

With all costumes every character have, I'm curious how they turned out in-game whether in overworld, battles, and trainer card. So far the silliest costume (in a good way) is Vice's Beach Attire. It must be really funny wearing that costume while the atmosphere of the game is dark.

They all turned out quite well, actually. I'm still in the process of programming in an option, in the pause screen, to select the costumes. It is pretty silly, especially when you see him wearing the costume in certain cutscenes XD It helps alleviate the mood, and that's a good thing.

Well y'know we all got our preferences and my own is to never mix a serious scene with lame comedy. I do ditch a lot of animes because of their untimely comedy during parts that are not made to be comic. What matters is these things are optional in your game so anyone can follow their preferences

Well y'know we all got our preferences and my own is to never mix a serious scene with lame comedy. I do ditch a lot of animes because of their untimely comedy during parts that are not made to be comic. What matters is these things are optional in your game so anyone can follow their preferences

To be honest, I generally don't really get bothered by costumes since they are optional...even though I never really use them. It's kind of like Xenoblade X's fashion armor where I pretty much just used the normal armor to keep their outfits the same (except Cross). Though on the latter side, sometimes people get tired of looking at the same outfit and like to look at something else when they want to...especially if it can be silly (cough Ziggy's swimsuit cough). Different people are different tastes.

What I can say is that keeping things always serious dampens the affect of the whole thing. Most people use humor before or after a serious moment to kind of help lighten the mood in an attempt to make it more impactful. A very talented writer is able to make someone laugh and cry at the same time. The most obvious example is a joke right before a tragic death, but that's not what it really means. It means to balance the dark moments with the lighthearted ones so that both are impactful. It's actually common knowledge that sometimes people forget about when their writing becomes darker or trying to force lighthearted humor when a simple happy moment would suffice.

Never played Xenoblade but I do know all those games have silly suits and whatnot as costumes (example: chubby animal suits while you go around slaying stuff) I personally never wear stuff apart the normal armor either, unless there's a really cool outfit available that somehow overshadows your regular one.

I'm well aware why they do that, but that won't make me like it. I don't think that a dark themed game should always stay 100% dark with no humor or light-heartedness. I just find it very off-putting when something serious is about to happen and the writer just decides to put the most idiotic untimely comedy right there. As you said, it feels forced when it could have been done in a different way and maybe at a different time I like my themes balanced out, but not right when the occasion suggests the mood is meant to stay the way it is. MY opinion won't change, and nobody is meant to take it as something that has to be persuaded to change anyway.

You make your game the way you envisioned it, but my opinion is my own and that's about it

To be honest, I generally don't really get bothered by costumes since they are optional...even though I never really use them. It's kind of like Xenoblade X's fashion armor where I pretty much just used the normal armor to keep their outfits the same (except Cross). Though on the latter side, sometimes people get tired of looking at the same outfit and like to look at something else when they want to...especially if it can be silly (cough Ziggy's swimsuit cough). Different people are different tastes.

What I can say is that keeping things always serious dampens the affect of the whole thing. Most people use humor before or after a serious moment to kind of help lighten the mood in an attempt to make it more impactful. A very talented writer is able to make someone laugh and cry at the same time. The most obvious example is a joke right before a tragic death, but that's not what it really means. It means to balance the dark moments with the lighthearted ones so that both are impactful. It's actually common knowledge that sometimes people forget about when their writing becomes darker or trying to force lighthearted humor when a simple happy moment would suffice.

Never played Xenoblade but I do know all those games have silly suits and whatnot as costumes (example: chubby animal suits while you go around slaying stuff) I personally never wear stuff apart the normal armor either, unless there's a really cool outfit available that somehow overshadows your regular one.

I'm well aware why they do that, but that won't make me like it. I don't think that a dark themed game should always stay 100% dark with no humor or light-heartedness. I just find it very off-putting when something serious is about to happen and the writer just decides to put the most idiotic untimely comedy right there. As you said, it feels forced when it could have been done in a different way and maybe at a different time I like my themes balanced out, but not right when the occasion suggests the mood is meant to stay the way it is. MY opinion won't change, and nobody is meant to take it as something that has to be persuaded to change anyway.

You make your game the way you envisioned it, but my opinion is my own and that's about it

I think that Commander understands where I'm coming from. I don't write my story in a dark and silly way. The game is very emotional and keeps that way, but, in between scenes where there isn't anything going on, it's lighthearted and willing to poke fun at itself. If a game is too dark and dreary the whole experience is quite... boring. But, that doesn't mean that I put idiotic comedy before or during a scene; the mood is consistent. I've been writing for years, and I know that when there is a sad moment, I keep it sad, not silly.

But, towards Masquerain, I don't know where you're getting "untimely humor" from, since, I never did pull a stunt like that throughout the course of the game. The only time something like that happens is during skit scenes, and those are optional, and you're never forced to watch them. And skit scenes are meant to be funny, and give more depth into the characters personalities. If something is going to be emotional, it's going to be emotional, if it's going to be dark, it's going stay dark, and if it's going to be sad, it's going to stay sad.

If this is all towards the costumes being silly in an otherwise serious and emotional game, however, then there is a simple fix to that: Just don't use them. They're still going to be in the game, whether or not people like them, since they're optional, and are meant to be silly looking. Besides, costumes don't really appear in cutscenes, since it resets your costume to the normal one when you are in a cutscene.

Apologies if this sounds rude in any way, I'm just trying to clarify some things.

Edited by Dylanrockin

SO. Here's a little something that I've been working on, since I've gotten back into working on my game more seriously, this week. This is a comparison of the old Brennan Estate vs. the New Brennan Estate.

Old Brennan Estate (Warning huge image) :

70e3fb6f52914d63fbf915e2abaa8052.png

New Brennan Estate, which looks WAY better, and actually feels like an Estate with homes for the caretakers, and their families:

e49a04ed1e9fe60593bf6ca51cc5befc.png

• Upvote 3

Been aware of this game for a while but haven't been following it closely. Is there any ETA on release date yet?

It looks fantastic, will be released in episodes or in one whole piece?

Really? Where'd you first see my game at, since my game has been posted on 2 other forum websites. The game is still being worked on, and probably won't have a release for another couple of months. I've been focusing on the custom programming and anime animations for the game, before anything gets released.

The game will be released as one whole game, for the sake of convenience and consistency; also because my game's narrative doesn't cater to an episodic structure.

Edited by Dylanrockin

I think I always like your old maps more than the new ones somehow. They look prettier and more organized.. in the case of the estate. Seems natural that you'd see the garden and yard stuff before you get a view of the mansion.. the new version is like.. idk, my first thought was "Where's everything? what's everything?" That may be only because the new map is...well.. new. But the old one feels easier on the eyes at least for me

I think I always like your old maps more than the new ones somehow. They look prettier and more organized.. in the case of the estate. Seems natural that you'd see the garden and yard stuff before you get a view of the mansion.. the new version is like.. idk, my first thought was "Where's everything? what's everything?" That may be only because the new map is...well.. new. But the old one feels easier on the eyes at least for me

The problem with the old map was that it was too big with nothing happening in those areas. So, basically I compressed the map into a smaller form, and made it feel like an estate with homes for all the staff hands :P

Really? Where'd you first see my game at, since my game has been posted on 2 other forum websites. The game is still being worked on, and probably won't have a release for another couple of months. I've been focusing on the custom programming and anime animations for the game, before anything gets released.

The game will be released as one whole game, for the sake of convenience and consistency; also because my game's narrative doesn't cater to an episodic structure.

I first found it in at pokecommunity iirc, gave it a quick once over, liked somewhat it and left. Then I heard you were interviewing Amethyst so I watched both those videos. Went digging around in your past videos and got interested further, subscribed so I could learn about its release date.

Since it won't be following the conventional pokemon formula in terms of story (I vaguely recall hearing this in your above interview), how long do you think the game will be?

Edited by mdman1

I first found it in at pokecommunity iirc, gave it a quick once over, liked somewhat it and left. Then I heard you were interviewing Amethyst so I watched both those videos. Went digging around in your past videos and got interested further, subscribed so I could learn about its release date.

Since it won't be following the conventional pokemon formula in terms of story (I vaguely recall hearing this in your above interview), how long do you think the game will be?

Interesting, well unfortunately I won't be returning to Pokecommunity any time soon, for reasons mainly.

The game will be decently long, if I was to estimate... probably around 50-60 hours. But, that's just a rough estimate.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, there is another character who gets a Verdant Transformation, and before anyone says anything, no normal Trainer cannot use Verdant Transformation. Because #1, the Trainer must have a Verdant Soul, which there are only 4 in existence, and #2 the Trainer must be able to control Makyo Energy; which again, isn't something a random Trainer can do. Also, the other 3 characters that get a Transformation are not going to be in this game, they will be in the 2nd game.

Verdant Soul = The soul of a person who wishes to pass on their power to another in the form of a crystallized orb which merges with the compatible Trainer. The Trainer's soul that becomes a Verdant Soul chooses who it will be compatible with. Their personality and memories reside inside of it, and as a result of a merging event, becomes one with the selected Trainer.

But, this is the 3rd Verdant Transformation out of 4. This is Marissa Brennan's Verdant Transformation, and out of all 4 of the transformations, hers is the most... dangerous. I say that, because the Verdant Soul that she uses, is the soul that belongs to a certain character, who's soul turned into it; and that person wasn't exactly... good. But at the same time, that person did try to change, and wanted to be forgiven at a certain part of the game's story for his recklessness and becoming evil. That said, the Verdant Soul that is used has a duality to it, in that it is made up of the souls of two people's living souls.

What makes it dangerous is that if Marissa is in danger or is pushed to her limits, the negative aspects of the Verdant Soul will make both the Trainer and Pokemon lose control, and will be consumed with rage. That said, in the second game she learns to control this.

Because of the duality of the Transformation she has both a very transient, yet terrifying appearance. Her eyes become red with blue, bio-illuminescant irises and all of her teeth become sharp canine's. The power output from her Transformation is slightly more than Vice's, and is far more dangerous. Anywho, here is the sketch.

commishdylanrockinmarissaverdant_by_rial

Who does the Verdant Soul belong to, you may ask? That's for you to find out.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1