Most annoying thing in Pokemon

star-kin

Ever since gen 1 I've hated the obsession with HMs these games tend to have. There's is so much wrong with them as a concept that can easily be fixed, but the games refuse to do so.

Best case scenario, if the game absolutely HAVE to have them (which they don't) I think it would be really interesting if the HMs were instead items that you got which do the same things. Such as an Animal Crossing-style axe to replace cut, or an inflatable raft to replace surf.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critical hits for number one. You can have a +6 cosmic power set up and get like 5 damage off an enemy dragon rush or something, but then CRITICAL HIT!!! and you're dead. It's BS and it's a matter of luck whether they happen or not.

Confuse Ray. Screw this BS move. First of all, 100% acc confusion inflicted is extremely annoying especially since confusion stacks with other status. Second, confuse ray outright ignores the type chart and works on everything, which is BS. I don't get why GF keeps having exceptions like this to the type chart but it's pretty dumb that toxic can't work on steels yet confuse ray can work on normals. Then as a testament to how truly annoying this move is, Golbat who used to plague the games has it and won't hesitate to use it just to make your grinding that much more annoying. Screw Golbat, screw confuse ray, and screw confusion status period.

Second, confuse ray outright ignores the type chart and works on everything, which is BS. I don't get why GF keeps having exceptions like this to the type chart but it's pretty dumb that toxic can't work on steels yet confuse ray can work on normals.

This is a common misconception. The move confuse ray inflicts confusion, which is a volatile status condition that all pokémon except those with the ability Own Tempo are affected by. There is no such thing as a type immune to confusion, and that's why it can affect normal types even being a ghost type move, because they're immune to ghost type DAMAGE, not ghost type status moves, except curse and nightmare, which work on everything because their effect is a bit different that of an attacking move.

The steel type, however, is immune to poison type damage AND the poison status condition, two separated things, and that is why toxic doesn't work on them, but neither would any other move: if a fighting type had a chance to poison, the move would always be SE on a steel type, but it would never get poisoned as long as it remains steel type. As of now, fire types can't be burned, ice types can't be frozen, poison and steel types can't be poisoned, grass types are not affected by spore and powder moves, ghost are immune to trapping moves and abilities, and electric types are immune to paralysis.

The only status moves that actually follows the type immunity chart is Thunder Wave, which is specifically made to be uneffective when used on target's whose type is immune to the move's type. If this specification was removed from its coding within the games, it would actually hit and paralyze ground types, as they're not immune to the paralysis status condition, only the electric type damage. If you don't believe me, use a normalize delcatty with thunder wave, and you'll discover that it now hits ground types, but not ghosts! xD

Which reminded me, there's another two mons I find annoying in pokemon games: trapinch and jumpluff. The first, no matter how much you pray to Arceus, will always have arena trap and will trap your lead forcing you to kill it, waste PP, and in some cases getting hurt. Leveling up electric types in a desert area full of trapinch is HELL, and running a mono-electric around these things is a nightmare. The second, for some reason is always, ALWAYS faster than my whole team. I always, ALWAYS find a trainer with it when I don't have ice beam. And it always, MOTHERFUCKING ALWAYS lands its annoying set of sleep powder, stun spore, leech seed and cotton spore. Like, fuck you little ball of...grass. This had got to a point in the past that always that I caught a jumpluff I called it Annoyina. Or Adobe flash, but that's a story for another day.

Edited by zimvader42

Trapinch is hell, really. this one time i was nuzlocking Emerald and decided to grind on route 13. Trapinch appeared and killed everyone. i don't know how he did it but he freakin went there. basically anything with arena trap is annoying ok.

the most annoying things are:

PROTECT moves on WILD Pokemon

I mean... c'mon... I just want to grind my Pokemon and I encounter a Pokemon that grants good EXP... and it spams Protect!

I want to effectiveley grind, not waste all my PP on your stupid, never failing, protect! JEEZUZ!

The only thing it does is WASTE TIME and PP... ugh I hate it...

This was me while grinding Defense EVs in Rejvenation. I'll have to agree with this one.

Spewpa why?!?!?

Gym Leaders/E4 that use Hyper Potions to get back up to full. I make a rule that I won't use any items during a battle, and I wish that there was some way for the opponent to do the same. Although it does up the challenge, it really makes it more about how not to put your opponent within 1/4 than anything else more strategic.

• Global Mods

Gym Leaders, E4, and Champion using healing items sometimes makes it feel like "Who has more potions?" instead of "Who has better skill?" It's very anticlimactic.

I'd rather they use held items instead (not just their ace having an Oran/Sitrus Berry) because those genuinely are strategic.

DynamicPunch, Chatter and Confuse Ray. Reducing your counters to having a 50% of actually countering and just checks is kind of annoying.

Its what makes the meta game interesting. Imagine if all Manectric had was electric moves, you'd be able to easily predict its moves and send in an appropriate counter such as Landorus or Ferrothorn. But with more type coverage for weaknesses, Manectric could run Overheat and HP Ice to force the opponent to put more thought into their turns. Also, it prevents the game from being mundane and using the same moveset. Pretty sure I was the first person (or one of the first) to start the Aerial Ace Gliscor here on Reborn

Its what makes the meta game interesting. Imagine if all Manectric had was electric moves, you'd be able to easily predict its moves and send in an appropriate counter such as Landorus or Ferrothorn. But with more type coverage for weaknesses, Manectric could run Overheat and HP Ice to force the opponent to put more thought into their turns. Also, it prevents the game from being mundane and using the same moveset. Pretty sure I was the first person (or one of the first) to start the Aerial Ace Gliscor here on Reborn

I think (not sure tho) that Alicirno was kinda pointing out more the fact that all those moves she mentioned have a 100% chance to cause paralysis, rather than having coverage or not

Stall tactics

bulky pokemon are fine, pokemon who stack some defence are fine.

But when someone shows up with a Shuckle or Clafairy or Gliscor who just sit there and stall you out while poison or some other affect chips away at you.

It flat out enrages me sometimes

how can anybody find this fun?

Orre Colosseum. The game isn't too bad and then BAM! The game throws a Spore spamming team followed by the most BS hax of all time. There's one guy that has a Spinda with Teeter Dance and a Smeargle with Lock-On Sheer Cold. Yeah, that could pretty much tick any guy off. Not to mention you don't have too many options to use against these guys unless you trade an official game team on.

Surfing.

I absolutely hate surfing. Every time I surf, I always get spammed with wild pokemon.

I've also recently gain a hatred towards SonicBoom and Sand Attack spam.

And parahax. Everyone hates parahax.

Not getting to ride my bike whenever I WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE. Also when you're going somewhere and it's one of those areas that has a ledge so you have to go all the way around to the other side of said ledge and accidentally jump over it and have to start all over again because you don't have fly.

This is a common misconception. The move confuse ray inflicts confusion, which is a volatile status condition that all pokémon except those with the ability Own Tempo are affected by. There is no such thing as a type immune to confusion, and that's why it can affect normal types even being a ghost type move, because they're immune to ghost type DAMAGE, not ghost type status moves, except curse and nightmare, which work on everything because their effect is a bit different that of an attacking move.

The steel type, however, is immune to poison type damage AND the poison status condition, two separated things, and that is why toxic doesn't work on them, but neither would any other move: if a fighting type had a chance to poison, the move would always be SE on a steel type, but it would never get poisoned as long as it remains steel type. As of now, fire types can't be burned, ice types can't be frozen, poison and steel types can't be poisoned, grass types are not affected by spore and powder moves, ghost are immune to trapping moves and abilities, and electric types are immune to paralysis.

The only status moves that actually follows the type immunity chart is Thunder Wave, which is specifically made to be uneffective when used on target's whose type is immune to the move's type. If this specification was removed from its coding within the games, it would actually hit and paralyze ground types, as they're not immune to the paralysis status condition, only the electric type damage. If you don't believe me, use a normalize delcatty with thunder wave, and you'll discover that it now hits ground types, but not ghosts! xD

Originally steel could be poisoned via twineedle, but they changed that later on. I do kind of wish confuse ray was the same case as thunder wave though, but yeah thanks for correcting me on that.

Btw Glare works on Ground AND Ghost types. Is it certain that a Normalized T-wave does not do the same?

Yes, because the code for the move thunder wave includes the specific command of following the type charts, thus the move's capability of affecting types being directly influentiated by the move's own type. A normalize delcatty's thunder wave can hit Groudon but not Gengar, while a Jolteon's thunderwave can hit Gengar but not Groudon. If thunder wave was artificially hacked into being a dragon type move, it would not hit fairies whatsoever. If a target immune to thunder wave's current type is holding a ring target however, as long as the target is not immune to paralysis (like having limber, or being electric type), thunder wave will hit.

Glare just does not have the same mechanisms. Glare simply puts paralysis on whatever it hits not counting typeXtype interactions, only statusXtype interactions. Meaning that it cannot paralyze electric types and stuff with limber.

Orre Colosseum. The game isn't too bad and then BAM! The game throws a Spore spamming team followed by the most BS hax of all time. There's one guy that has a Spinda with Teeter Dance and a Smeargle with Lock-On Sheer Cold. Yeah, that could pretty much tick any guy off. Not to mention you don't have too many options to use against these guys unless you trade an official game team on.

While I do have some bad memories against certain trainers, the most annoying thing for me in Colosseum is that it has a weird level jump. If you don't stick to 6 pokes early on, things just become overlevelled.

Still gr8 game m8 8/8

Also, y'all need to start buyin' repels.

what are repels and can I eat them