Your least favourite plot cliche in gaming.

Omega_Ra1der

Hence topic title. I know there is one already but this leans to the plot cliche or somewhat general gaming. I give mine: The main villain wants the whole world to be destroyed just for hisself. And mystery games favourite part-cliche: MURDERS (in adachi himsdaisy voice) I almost don't mind about this at all but it slowly lacking creativity. Danganronpa,Phoenix wright, and partly persona are the only mystery games I played but all of them have murders. While for Danganronpa, it is plot related. (Please no, 2nd game case 5 victim was everything I tolerated about the cliche.) Pheonix Wright, I am fine, I mean you play as a badass clutch God attorney. Persona, gave me a ominous feel but while the murders doesn't matter to the plot not much, I didn't pay no mind to it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

The cliche that makes me most mad in gaming (and movies, anime etc.) Is a villain that uses blackmail to get what they want. Like no matter what you want to do, you can't because of the threat of (insert blackmail here) looming over your head.

That and making a villain out to be invincible just to easily destroy them in a boss fight etc.

• Global Mods

Once upon a time there was a great evil that threatened to destroy the world.

Somebody's trying to awaken it!

You try to stop them, you defeat them but they're able to awaken it anyway, you stop it.

Okay, why does this being want to destroy the world? What does it/he/she/xe gain from doing this? That's never explained. Doesn't matter if it's a human or some kind of supernatural entity, I'd like there to be a reason. I'm not sure if a lot of games still do this, but it's boring when the enemy is just "evil" for the sake of it.

Another thing is when a villain has awesome powers that they never use in combat, only in cut scenes or backstories. I know the Zelda series is guilty of this a lot. After you beat them it's just like "Why didn't you do that thing you did earlier?" Usually it's a power that would be very hard to counter or avoid, too, which could make for more challenging fights.

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

When for the sheer sake of game-play and no justifiable reason actually realted to the plot, the game has the MC doing virtually ALL the god damn work throughout the entire story. I'm talking shit like having to take on missions and jobs that technically speaking, you logically wouldn't be qualified for or make no real sense for YOU to be assigned to...

Basically forcing something into the plot that is entirely unneeded and unwarranted simply to pad out the Game Time, instead of actually thinking of logical branches the story could've actually taken and made more sense...

My biggest offender- all the games of the main Pokemon Series. There is a TV trope for this, and Pokemon is absolutely in love with it. Where else can a ten year old kid go around, fighting criminals and terrorists, doing odd jobs for certain professionals (IE, favors for gym leaders) who are honestly going to probably be better suited for the damn job they're trying to pawn off to a kid, and watch as all the forms of law enforcement sit back and do virtually... nothing about the problems plaguing the region... with the exception of a single man called looker, who even then, only swoops in after you've done the dirty work...

And pulling some crap explaination like "Oh, well, you're playing as the chosen one" or "You're a prodigy and so you're just better suited" really stops being able to justify things after a certain point if it isn't done well... which it really isn't most of the time in pokerman. You just go around fighting folks for the hell of it, and hell, in most games it's never even explicitly stated that your destined to do something great or to be a hero in a time of crisis... and more just left up to the imagination ((That said though, there are some exceptions such as Black and White and possibly D/P/Pt, as I'm fairly certain Cynthia says something about you being born for a powerful purpose at Spear pillar in one of them))

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneWingedAngel

THIS. Oh God how I hate this. Why do villains always have to turn into some kind of hulking monstrosity immediately before the final fight? I mean, you have a fantastic villain, he has been established as a magnificent bastard throughout the game, I now genuinely love to hate him... So just let me kick his ass in the final battle! It will be satisfying, and I know it won't be easy because the guy is a tough son of a gun! I don't need him to turn into a giant dragon to hate him!

But no, every single damn time they have to do this. You shall never, EVER fight a human/humanoid boss: huge, revolting monsters are all you get. Heck, even in friggin' YUGIOH, a series about people saving the world via card games on ancient egyptian rites/acid/motorcycles/space/tridimensional battlefields must always give us the final villain becoming huge, deformed and montrously muscular before the final fight. Because of course, being bigger and more muscular will make you more dangerous in a CARD GAME, right?

Woman in the Fridge. Killing off a female character to give the man a reason to fight or get stronger or w/e is annoying as fuck.

^ this soooooo much. It's a real dumb one that is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper over used. Not to mention it never really sees the reverse either, I don't think there's even one example I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm also not found of the whole

Once upon a time there was a great evil that threatened to destroy the world.

Somebody's trying to awaken it!

You try to stop them, you defeat them but they're able to awaken it anyway, you stop it.

Okay, why does this being want to destroy the world? What does it/he/she/xe gain from doing this? That's never explained. Doesn't matter if it's a human or some kind of supernatural entity, I'd like there to be a reason. I'm not sure if a lot of games still do this, but it's boring when the enemy is just "evil" for the sake of it.

Welcome to the dreaded "Evil in a Can" trope. THe problem with this is usually that the thing they release never has the time to be developed as anything other than some looming darkness that is destructive or has no known purpose. It better when they at least state it's a godless killing machine that just wants to destroy the world because it's all the thing knows how to do. That's at least an answer, but a lot of times we get nothing cause it's sprung on us out of nowhere.

Borderlands 1 end boss is a good example. Up until we start getting towards the Vault you have 0 indication that anything is really amiss. You've been told the whole game that it's an alien weapon cache and that's there's riches etc in there. Technically it being an Alien Weapon Cache is probably true, just for a biological weapon ((that they actually never say really is a biological weapon you just are left to guess that.)). This is kinda definitely how wrong the Evil in a Can trope can go. Cause the annoying character that's been taunting you the entire game, or the person your perceive to be your enemy ((who gets some characterization though not much when you think about it she really doesn't get that much.)) is just killed in the cut-scene before big slimy and evil comes out. So, basically you are thrown "Big UGLY EYEBALL MONSTER WITH LASERS AND SHIT THAT"S COOL RIGHT?" the boss... and it super badly done. Like... I'd rather have fought Commandant Steele ((I think that's her name... don't remember.)), who's been screwing me over all game, then some giant Moster I didn't even know aobut until about 5 secs before it was plopped in front of my face.

If you read that spoiler, that's what I hate the "Evil in a Can" approach more in games. In games Gameplay is important in context with the narrative. So, when a narrative element makes something happen...and the gameplay around it is lacklustre it kinda a double whammy. This one does it so much more than anything else in video games because it's such an anti-climax to have something you didn't even know about until it showed up be the final boss. You have no connection to that thing... it's just another creature to gun down or kill who gives a shit how powerful it apparently is or what it is? Like, if they spent the time building it up throughout the game maybe seeing it would be cool since it didn't blindside you completely out of nowhere. ((See Bayonetta 1's final boss.)) But the way it's usually done the bossfight ends up being super boring cause it just becomes routine... you have no reason to really care about the fight cause it feels like it's some other nameless mook. There's no investment in that thing because it means nothing. It's throw-away, jsut liek the endings in games that utilize this trope.

I absolutely hate it when the main male character and the main female character hook up at the end. It's that kind of fairy tale ending that just annoys me at many points during a game, movie, book, ect. Fire Emblem did a good job at giving you options with support conversations, but that's one of the few I can think of...

And don't get me started with the "Have a side character whose a jerk, than reveal them to be a bad guy" cliche. Way to many games and movies follow this formula, and it usually annoys me, as I'm more surprised when they don't turn out to be a villain than when they do.

Also, we always need a teacher/sensi/older character to get killed off to act as some sort of call to action. Star Wars did it, Final Fantasy did it, heck, a few of the fan made Pokemon games I've played did it. I suppose it's usually necessary for the plot progression, but when an older character get's introduced, I usually have a hard time getting attached to them...

I absolutely hate it when the main male character and the main female character hook up at the end. It's that kind of fairy tale ending that just annoys me at many points during a game, movie, book, ect. Fire Emblem did a good job at giving you options with support conversations, but that's one of the few I can think of...

And don't get me started with the "Have a side character whose a jerk, than reveal them to be a bad guy" cliche. Way to many games and movies follow this formula, and it usually annoys me, as I'm more surprised when they don't turn out to be a villain than when they do.

Also, we always need a teacher/sensi/older character to get killed off to act as some sort of call to action. Star Wars did it, Final Fantasy did it, heck, a few of the fan made Pokemon games I've played did it. I suppose it's usually necessary for the plot progression, but when an older character get's introduced, I usually have a hard time getting attached to them...

Old masters in action/adventure media and black dudes in slasher horrors are tied for the lowest chances of surviving to see the end of the story in any given form of media. Strange but true.

And pulling some crap explaination like "Oh, well, you're playing as the chosen one" or "You're a prodigy and so you're just better suited" really stops being able to justify things after a certain point if it isn't done well... which it really isn't most of the time in pokerman. You just go around fighting folks for the hell of it, and hell, in most games it's never even explicitly stated that your destined to do something great or to be a hero in a time of crisis... and more just left up to the imagination ((That said though, there are some exceptions such as Black and White and possibly D/P/Pt, as I'm fairly certain Cynthia says something about you being born for a powerful purpose at Spear pillar in one of them))

This. Especially after fighting Cynthia I´d have to question why I even fight Team Galactic. She´d wipe the floor with them single-handedly. Actually, why do we even bother with the evil teams? The gym-leaders are at least as strong as them, but they do nothing. B/W are an exception, because Team Plasma is awesome. But what about R/S/E (Well, Steven and Wallace do something. But what about the moments when Magma takes over the volcano and does that meteorite-thing? I mean Flannery is right below them. Granted, she doesn´t notice, but also wasted potential), R/B (Team Rocket took over Saffronia City, with the fighting-dojo still open and the psychic-gym locked. Wait... what? And as far as I know, Sabrina´s Pokémon are super-effective or neutral against whatever Team Rocket has), G/S (Same as in R/B. Even if Whitney isn´t that strong at that point, she would still put up a fight, dammit).

...I shouldn´t think too much about this. Remember, it´s just a kids game ^^

...Diantha is the most useless champion I have ever seen...

Now, personally, I don´t think clichés are bad. But they can be frustrating when written badly, which tends to happen. Personally, I agree on previous posts with the "One-Winged-Angel"-thing, or if I had to quote Frieza "This isn´t even my final form". I´m not always a fan of multi-stage bosses in general, but sometimes they are done well (Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising and Kefka from FFVI) and sometimes they´re just bloody stupid (Safer Sephiroth. Sephiroth himself looks so cool, dark and broody. Then they ruin it by giving him wing-leg-things and making him look like an abomination).

One Cliche I hate in rpgs are rats and bats as your first enemies. It´s just very uncreative. And why would a dude with a sword have any trouble with a freaking rat?

There is also another Cliché I hate. THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP! 7213351.jpg?338

Yes, friendship is important, you don´t have to teach me about it. No, if I had to be taught how important friendship is, then I

guess I´m a broken human being. It´s sometimes so stupid to the point that I will stop to care at the exact moment they say "You can´t defeat us because friendship hurr durr". That´s the moment where I say: "I don´t care about these characters or the story. This is too stupid, even for me." Friendship is not going to defeat the bad guy unless you all really do work together instead of saying: "You can´t do this because the power of friendship makes him (the protagonist) stronger than you."

Edited by UnprofessionalAmateur

Now, personally, I don´t think clichés are bad. But they can be frustrating when written badly, which tends to happen.

Cliches aren't inherently bad, they exist for a reason. They are basic building blocks to get somewhere in a story and they they cover almost literally everything at this point. ~((SOme cliche's are terribly horrible though. not a lot but there are some))~ However it is poor use of them that makes them bad. SOmetimes it's just the twist they were going for didn't have impact... other times... it's a lot more than that lol. But yes, cliches are a thing for a reason. They themselves are not entirely awful... it the use of them that is. Sometimes a trope or cliche can be used to suuuuuuper powerful effect, others times they detract. It's all how you use it.

Cliches aren't inherently bad, they exist for a reason. They are basic building blocks to get somewhere in a story and they they cover almost literally everything at this point. ~((SOme cliche's are terribly horrible though. not a lot but there are some))~ However it is poor use of them that makes them bad. SOmetimes it's just the twist they were going for didn't have impact... other times... it's a lot more than that lol. But yes, cliches are a thing for a reason. They themselves are not entirely awful... it the use of them that is. Sometimes a trope or cliche can be used to suuuuuuper powerful effect, others times they detract. It's all how you use it.

True, true ^^ I can only agree with that. I mean, certain villains are full of clichés, but they are still some of the most iconic and beloved characters because they are done well. Gurren Lagann is one of my favorite series and it is full of clichés, except for the ending (because Gainax)

Anyway, I got another cliché I am somewhat tired of: The hero has a secret power that he unlocks during a fight/because he is angry/he learned it off-screen and reveals it (We don´t know what the protagonist knows, which makes it all seem like the writer pulled it out of his ass). A good example is that second form Luffy has in One Piece. Never mentioned, never shown, no hints. "I trained to protect my friends ect." -> "Gear Second". Yes, it is a great surprise, but it looks like the writer just introduced this new form suddenly without any foreshadowing or hint, which should be there, especially if its the protagonist whom we, the readers, watch go through his journey and already did so for a while.

Same goes for whatever new form he has now. Another example could be the Super Saiyan in Dragonball, but at least there I can say: "Yeah, it´s this legend and goku happens to be this legendary super saiyan." -> This gets blown to the wind when even Goten and Trunks can go all-blonde. While awesome the moment it happens, it´s a bit weird once you look back.

Edited by UnprofessionalAmateur

I really hate the "infinite time ultimatum" thing the most games play out (espacially RPGs nearing the end of the Story line)

You know:

"oh my god the Evil Overlord has awakened and we only have a few hours left before he destroys every living being on the planet! We have to stop him ASAP!!!!"

*whistle* let's do ALL of the side quests first and sleep a thousand times at the inn OVER NIGHT... don't worry the bad guy won't do anything until we pass the final Savepoint of the final dungeon, where we even get a warning message, that asks us if we are prepared for the final battle! and if you're not you can just turn around and waste another X days worth of time!

SERIOUSLY? You just said you have only X amount of time left and can't waste anymore time!

I know it is for gameplay reasons, so that you can prepare for the ending, but it absoluteley breaks the immersion

There should be a game that does this, but with an invisible timer that ticks down... and if you don't reach the boss by then its game over... and if you save like five mintutes befor the timer runs out, well tough luck kiddo! - you were told you only have that much time left... you didn't have to get all those kittens out of the trees for the sake of 100% completion at the last portion of the game, you were given these options purposely before that ultimatum!

There should be a game that does this, but with an invisible timer that ticks down... and if you don't reach the boss by then its game over... and if you save like five mintutes befor the timer runs out, well tough luck kiddo! - you were told you only have that much time left... you didn't have to get all those kittens out of the trees for the sake of 100% completion at the last portion of the game, you were given these options purposely before that ultimatum!

While in theory, I understand how this would work as a game play mechanic, but I can't see how this would really help the game in any way. First off, I'm sure many people would be taken aback by the mechanic, as it feels a little "troll like." Plus I feel like this might hurt the game developers themselves, as it's basically saying "You want to explore the world we crafted? We, you better be quick about it." I can't imagine developers designing a world, placing in details, ect with the knowledge that players would either be rushing past them, or being punished for looking at them. I'm sure some hardcore independent games might do this, but in my opinion, it feels a little anti gamer to me. Majora's Mask had a time limit of sorts, but didn't overly punish the players for exploring, and gave them a fall back plan. I'm willing to say that most people get just as much stress from an invisible timer as they do from escort missions. If a game were to have a time limit, it would need to be a selling point, not some surprise mechanic, because that would kind of be a jerk move in my opinion.

the corrupt corporation executive trope. cuz you know: all rich businessmen are evil and most of them are a part of a secret organization in taking over the world.

as if running a multi-dollar company isn't enough, they have to take over/blow up the world while they're at it. its very common in gaming/anime.

• Global Mods

While in theory, I understand how this would work as a game play mechanic, but I can't see how this would really help the game in any way. First off, I'm sure many people would be taken aback by the mechanic, as it feels a little "troll like." Plus I feel like this might hurt the game developers themselves, as it's basically saying "You want to explore the world we crafted? We, you better be quick about it." I can't imagine developers designing a world, placing in details, ect with the knowledge that players would either be rushing past them, or being punished for looking at them. I'm sure some hardcore independent games might do this, but in my opinion, it feels a little anti gamer to me. Majora's Mask had a time limit of sorts, but didn't overly punish the players for exploring, and gave them a fall back plan. I'm willing to say that most people get just as much stress from an invisible timer as they do from escort missions. If a game were to have a time limit, it would need to be a selling point, not some surprise mechanic, because that would kind of be a jerk move in my opinion.

To add to this, I really like the Pikmin games for the atmosphere, but the first one had a 30 day time limit and I don't think there was anything that let you go back in case you made little to no progress. I never did manage to find all 30 parts, because sometimes I had to spend a whole day breaking down an obstacle or clearing enemies. I liked the time more in Pikmin 2, where enemies and obstacles regenerate after a certain amount of days, but you have as much time as you want to explore and collect everything.

But you know... if you don't kill that giant evil Monster and stop it from destroying the world... there is nothing to explore anymore! You could always explore and do all the stuff when the giant big evil is stopped from destroying the world... you know... POSTGAME, if you really want 100% completion.

That is something that always bothered me in RPGs ... "yay we defeated the giant evil! hoooray!!!" *roll ending and credits* - THE END

yeah... the story has ended ... but not the world... I mean... WHY can't I roam around in a world that is freed from the giant evil, and maybe be recognized by the people as the hero, while doing so?

Has the world suddenly ceased to exist?

The story of defeating this Evil might be at an end, but my MCs aren't dead (in 99% of the cases)... so why can't I go on further adventures with them, not bound by any 'red-thread'?

I mean there are many RPGs that unlock special things after beating the game and starting your completed file... but it starts you right before the final Boss... the world is still in danger... WHY? I defeated it minutes ago! and now you force me to start there to go to a secret dungeon that didn'T exist while that final boss was alive!

It's just flawed immersion

But you know... if you don't kill that giant evil Monster and stop it from destroying the world... there is nothing to explore anymore! You could always explore and do all the stuff when the giant big evil is stopped from destroying the world... you know... POSTGAME, if you really want 100% completion.

That is something that always bothered me in RPGs ... "yay we defeated the giant evil! hoooray!!!" *roll ending and credits* - THE END

yeah... the story has ended ... but not the world... I mean... WHY can't I roam around in a world that is freed from the giant evil, and maybe be recognized by the people as the hero, while doing so?

Has the world suddenly ceased to exist?

The story of defeating this Evil might be at an end, but my MCs aren't dead (in 99% of the cases)... so why can't I go on further adventures with them, not bound by any 'red-thread'?

I mean there are many RPGs that unlock special things after beating the game and starting your completed file... but it starts you right before the final Boss... the world is still in danger... WHY? I defeated it minutes ago! and now you force me to start there to go to a secret dungeon that didn'T exist while that final boss was alive!

It's just flawed immersion

Yea, but an invisible mechanic isn't the way to solve that. That's completely unfair if it's not transparent and the player has no indication of it. There's no depth to a mechanic you have no way to know it exists and that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more egregious then a bit of time displacement. Movies, and shows do it all the time where time gets distorted which is why they are usually very unspecific of the time stated for events to happen nowadays. ((cause if you give an exact number... people are going to expect that number.))

Either way hidden systems like that aren;t good and definitely don't enhance a game in anyway, it's an artificial limiter that they have no clue exists and it's unfair entirely to expect them to play around it unless that's the entire point of the game ((which I'll point out other than things like Dark Souls do NOT SELL. There is very little interest in such titles. Dark Souls gets away with being a bit more unfair cause it's not really unfair. It just designed around how most people play like idiots or don't play ahead and it easily slays them without a thought. I've beaten Souls on a Duel Wielding run where I had no shield... you can dodge every instance of damage in the game it is possible. Trust me, Souls isn't a Hard game, it's a hard game because people aren't good at it or do not attempt to learn what it's teaching you and get through with Blind luck rather than actually learning attack patterns, ranges etc... it becomes a very easy game once you do that. Death doesn't matter in Souls, you have unlimited Lives for a reason. Each Death is meant to teach you.)) However you don't learn anything from this system, it jsut punishes you for something you had no idea exists. How is that fair in the least? Are you supposed to magically guess the Developers intentions?

I wouldn't mind something like that which was proposed if it wasn't obfuscated like that. That way it becomes "Hey you know those 40 hours you spent playing our game and exploring our world that we amde? Well fuck you because you decided to explore the world we made for you and saved your game now you lose all that progress. Maybe next time don't be stupid and play our game the way we intended you to paly it but then gave you no way to know this and now laugh at you because you have to replay 40 hours of a game because of it." DOes that sound fun to you?

The Player should be able to enjoy your game and not be used as puppets for some weird bullshit the developers decide on a whim. Out time should matter to them and to do that says we don't appreicate anything you put into our game because you didn't do exactly what we told you to do, so here have your file erased and satrt again. I'm sorry but Cep how does that sound like a good idea in anyway? THe worst aprt is this wouldn't be caught in reviews until it was much to late and people might buy this title not even expecting that and find that it has something that defunct in t waaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line once people start finishing it or more aptly being cheated out of the time they spent because the developer decided to put in a time box they had zero control over that goes off at a certain amount of playtime and is basically a reset your game button. That's... literally worse then the Cliche you described. Because that let's you still play the game at your own pace. Your idea... is one of the most anti-consumer and anti-player ones I've heard in awhile. Like... It worse than stuff that's been going on recently, because it's a blatant disregard of your player's time and i hugely disrespectful. Because it's hidden behind a curtain that they can;t see until it's too late..

Most of your guy's complains can be summed up here:

As for other cliches I dislike, it depends on the game. Jump scares aren't scary, they are cheap and I don't like it when horror games rely on them. Jump Scares are to Horror as Fart/Sexual Jokes are to Comedy.

I also dislike it when games mistake cheap random bullshit for difficulty.

Last recent knit pick of mine is when a game takes itself too seriously. Destiny for example had a dull story partially because it was so srs bsns and the. The second expansion comes out and they change from a "killing aliens is my destiny" tone to a "killing aliens is fun" tone. I can respect that.

Every game also wants to be open world now. And sometimes that doesn't translate well. There are also a lot of games that try shoving a crafting system down our throats. Seriously games?

I really hate "New Power as the Plot Demand", like for example Buddyfight(How Gao's Gargantuar Punisher change into Rolling Gargantuar Punisher), SAO, Yugioh(Yusei is a big offender), and much more

I mean, element of surprise is great for a show, but still, can you at least foreshadow it? Sudden appearance of new skill because the MC will lose is just so moment killer for me.

This is one from my favorite CAPCOM games, Ace Attorney. Basicaly, this is when you almost got the villain down, and then the foe (prosecutor, villain themselfs, other person working on he case in the Edgeworth games, etc) pulls some evidence out of nowhere that ruins your case, was never brought before, even though they act like it also known about. I swear, this is why I can't get into Justice For All, even though Franziska is my favorite prosecutor and my favorite female in the games(I'm gay amd hate SNM, don't get any ideas.). I know Frazy is a von Karma, but still. At least she gets to be fully better and a badass of her own in Edgeworth game 1 without any bullshit. I really think it's really good character dev and shows anyone can get out of a dark period in their life. Sorry. I went on a side-rant.

Edited by Ringabel

I thought of a few more. Here they are in list form!

-Beloved pet character dying (Lassie no!)

-Impractical armor (I'm looking at you Rosa from Final Fantasy Four...)

-Surprise! Your best friend is a villain!

-Surprise! Your daddy is the final boss!

-There's a cave behind the waterfall

-Polar opposite karma choices (You can either make the old lady a Centaur, or send her to the darkest pits of Detroit)

-The main character dies at the end (Seriously, why have so many major games been doing this lately)

-You think the main character dies, but the game hints that he or she might still be alive (Why try to kill them off in the first place)

I really hate "New Power as the Plot Demand", like for example Buddyfight(How Gao's Gargantuar Punisher change into Rolling Gargantuar Punisher), SAO, Yugioh(Yusei is a big offender), and much more

I mean, element of surprise is great for a show, but still, can you at least foreshadow it? Sudden appearance of new skill because the MC will lose is just so moment killer for me.

Well, to be fair, Kirito's dual wielding actually was foreshadowed in the anime, and even moreso in the light novels (To the point where they actually kind of just spoil it for you way before that battle ever happens). But yeah, new power is a common one, whether foreshadowed or not.

Well, to be fair, Kirito's dual wielding actually was foreshadowed in the anime, and even moreso in the light novels (To the point where they actually kind of just spoil it for you way before that battle ever happens). But yeah, new power is a common one, whether foreshadowed or not.

Let's try and keep it to video game examples though... this is the Gaming General Forum after all. It's these cliches in gaming ((and they're possible effect in regards to mechanics of the game.)) not anime lol.