Pokemon Surprise

LovelessWarrior

What is one pokemon you caught and used on a whim in pokemon reborn, that caught you off guard when you used it. what i mean is, what pokemon became more useful then you thought it would be during your game play? Haryiyama and Lighting Rod Seaking were mine.

Edited by LovelessWarrior

I agree with Hariyama. I was looking for a fighting type and came across a Mankey, but it sucked so I soft reset. While looking for another Mankey I found Makuhita, and caught it because I was tired of looking for a Mankey. Although it kept dying, once it evolved into Hariyama, that Force Palm became a god save. Then it learned Belly Drum and Hariyama became my clutch pokemon. When I got up to hax Steelix and Arceus and the lot, I prayed to RNGJesus, got the paralysis or confusion to give Hariyama a turn to set up, and then proceeded to one shot everything. It was the only thing I had on my first run capable of doing anything practical to Kiki (died so many times to HJK Hitmonlee >.< ). Up to Ciel, Hariyama was my go to for defeating everyone from crack-fed Charlotte to stupid freezing hax Blake (Yay for thick fat both times). ATM replacing it with Lucario on run 1 and Heracross on run 2.

Roserade. Back when I first started Reborn, I figured that I needed a Grass-Type. I saw that Budew was towards the beginning and I've never used the Budew Line before in-game. I grinded out it's happiness early-on so he wouldn't be a weak Baby Pokemon for too long. I retrieved the first Shiny Stone on Azurine Island then thought to myself: "Maybe I should save this Stone and breed for HP Fire, Leaf Storm, and Sludge Bomb...". So I did that when the level cap allowed it a little bit afterwards (lvl 47 Eggsecutor). Also, Roserade is a great abuser of Grassy Terrain which was introduced in 6th gen. Buffing both Technician HP Fire and Leaf Storm by 1.5x. Overall, Roserade is probably the second MVP on my team and was worth the Breed Chain that I want through! :D

My Meowth (now Persian), Killer Queen, I caught him just to y'know start filling out my team for the first gym, and planned on replacing him later, but he's a sweetheart and has helped me win many a battle .u.

• Global Mods

I basically decided I wanted a Crobat after I finished E14. I'm a fan of Crobat and I expected Acrobatics to be a powerful weapon, but I didn't know just how much of a powerhouse this Crobat would be. When I was battling Solaris, Gyarados's Intimidate lowered its attack and it still defeated it with just 2 Acrobatics (the first one almost took it to red health) and tore through a few more of his team members before he sent out Excadrill and I switched to Scrafty. I don't think Crobat was intimidated at all.

Klink line and Whiscash~I dont usually like monotype mons as they have somehow limited potential with narrowed movepools, but man, klinklang pulled it off with autonomize-gear grind combo~Whiscash is always outclassed by Swampert, Quagsire and even Gastrodon of same typing in main series, but it's the only available mon i have left with in reborn, i ended up falling in love with it for helping with breaking Serra's mirror field

Gigalith. It's slow as all hell and it doesn't help I'm not abusing TR or SS for this playthrough, but its limited movepool does exactly what is needed of him. Nature power is also a godsend. Was key in getting past serra and charlotte.

Florges is a godsend in reborn. Most would have gardevoir, maybe clefable as their fairy of choice and be done with it, but forges titanic Sp. Def stat, access to 2 field changing moves, moonblast, wish, cleric support if needed has made me see why ame took great pains to hide it in the adventurine woods. Was pivotal to ruin fields for randomus, luna, samson and combined with delphox to turn blake into easy mode.

SD Tentacruel. I've always been a fan of Tentacruel and got hyped as hell when I first saw the toxic waters in Reborn....it took me 5 episodes of waiting for Tentacool to be obtainable (in a really annoying way), during which I learned about TM-breeding and found out Tentacool gets Swords Dance. I honestly just tried it for the hell of it, but it's really been putting in work.

Grimer is another surprise, this thing is so freaking good early-game and it's evolution can run a great Curse set. If only it had it's Gen 1 sprites.

Edited by Etesian

I literally used exactly the same pokémon as I always do x_x

I know part of this game is to use pokémon that you wouldn't normally but,

As it is, I already prefer to use underused pokémon.

My team toward the end was slightly more OU.

Recently I was using Absol, Mawile, Banette, Delphox, Lumineon and Gardevoir.

Jumpluff, who made Shelly much more easy thanks to sleep powder and swept Kiki (even Lucario) with Acrobatics.

Also Zoroark, who defeated Shade easily.

Oh, and Lumineon (most forgotten Pokemon ever, probably): it was because of that Pokemon that I beat Cal.

Still, I haven't got very far in this game anyways, so I might change my mind.

Edited by Cyaloom

Gyarados. I mean, we all know that Gyarados is a very powerful pokémon, has an excellent setup move, and a pretty good defensive typing...

But I never thought I'd play a pokémon game where Magikarp is "axed". Damn.

I also have to mention Kricketune and Lilligant. I believe those two are self-explanatory.

Gyarados.

But I never thought I'd play a pokémon game where Magikarp is "axed".

Level 47 Gyarados swept Cynthia entirely in Pokemon Platinum. It's easy to see why it's no longer obtainable in the early game.

If we weren't talking about Reborn, I could have mentioned it.

Edited by Cyaloom

Zoroark in my first playthrough. I cought him by accident while doing Magma/Aqua gang sidequest. I didn't even knew I did hide'n'seek event correctly at that time. Since it had nice nature, IVs and the next leader was Shade I decided to add him temporarely. Move relearner was still available before Florinia, so I slapped Night Daze for some nice special damage, and holy shit he wrecked things. Still one of my main Reborn Team.