Easiest Gym?

C-K

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isnt really the place to ask this but didnt alot of gyms get easy when reborn was updated with v15 pokemon essentials? Does anyone think these gyms will regain at least of the lost diffuculty

Not exactly. Ame chose to nerf some of the gyms but it is arguable that V15 of essentials decreased the intelligence of the AI. Kuro and Ame are working on tuning it up I think.

Shelly will get better once the essentials fixes up her illumise so that it opens with prankster rain and stops people burning the field. (also swift swim anorith spamming rock slide for flinchax, enjoy that...eventualy)

I actually had a lot more difficulty with randomus this time around, although it was mostly due to trying to start the battle with WoW from delphox, missing, and then having florges use misty terrain. Gallade makes a lot of difference to his team now that its a lot less weak to bug.

Samson needs his own field really to be buffed, though he could also use an intimidate scrafty (just so people have to at least swap crobat out at some point of the match from attack drops). His difficulty really depends on whether you train properly for speed EV's though, as his team is quite fast and hard hitting outside hariyama and conkledurr. Essentials might make him harder eventually once the AI realises lucario can get a free SD due to its focus sash.

Luna still disappoints me. Tyrannitar NEEDS sand stream so that using sunny day isn't a 100% cop out (It's bad enough EQ changes the field), or give her houndoom with flash fire to make people reconsider using sun. There's just so much potential with the dark type that I feel her team really suffers as is. Mandibuzz would be a menace to face too, and would work nicely with tyrannitar due to the overcoat ability.

i NEVER used sun against Luna lol. Actually her Tyranitar benefits more off the regular cave field than the crystal one so it changing the field helps him although it screws over the rest of her team.

Lucario gets a free SD all the time even now but it doesn't help him that much because he's pretty frail and Samson almost always heals him which basically gives you a free shot at KOing him assuming you can one shot him.

And TBH I feel that the dark team's natural weaknesses and what's available to the player makes Luna hit a difficulty threshold. You'd pretty much have to set her with megas or legendaries to make her one of the most challenging members.Mandibuzz would make her more difficult but I udnerstand they kind of want to keep the AIW theme too. I mean Mandibuzz could still act as JubJubird and would be a good pick I think.

• Global Mods

Samson needs his own field really to be buffed, though he could also use an intimidate scrafty (just so people have to at least swap crobat out at some point of the match from attack drops).

I'm not sure a Scrafty with Intimidate would be enough to turn off people from using Crobat, seeing as my Crobat defeated Solaris's Gyarados with 2 Acrobatics after Intimidate. If it were a Scrafty, it'd probably be 1-shotted because of the type weakness.

Another thing, but I'm convinced now that corrosive field Corey is actually harder than gassy Corey. Gassy corey's Crobat can't seem to hurt steel types at all with his field as air cutter's poison addition makes it usueless. It's hilarious to see him pull off a nasty plot and repeatedly spam air cutters only to basically give you a free win. It turns his ace into an absolute joke. His crobat has nasty plot, air cutter, venoshock and what else? It should have something to deal with steels.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Another thing, but I'm convinced now that corrosive field Corey is actually harder than gassy Corey. Gassy corey's Crobat can't seem to hurt steel types at all with his field as air cutter's poison addition makes it usueless. It's hilarious to see him pull off a nasty plot and repeatedly spam air cutters only to basically give you a free win. It turns his ace into an absolute joke. His crobat has nasty plot, air cutter, venoshock and what else? It should have something to deal with steels.

Except forretress is the only steel available at that point of the game, and from experience, it takes a very long time to grind it to level 31. Last move on crobat is roost.

Er did you forget about Klink? There's wormadam(lol) as well and if you get lucky, Pawniard via mystery egg.

I actually used Klink against crobat and he just laughed in his face, although roost is kind of annoying.

Skuntank is probably Corey's biggest threat in the gas field since incinerate and smokescreen get a boost. Definitely pick up something with a ground move for him.

Then of course, you can always blow away the gas too. Corrosive Corey is harder to abuse the field with I feel.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

I accidentally swept Luna with a Gardevoir oops. Since I use "Set" and not "Shift" the nicknames didn't matter. Although now my team is not even level 60 and I'm at Route 2 because of this, hoorah.

Okay yeah, I cannot ever say Shelly is easy again ever. I lost that right completely when she beat my steel/ground dual team like 10 times straight.

dat prankster confuse ray

dat heather

dat field boosted giga drain

dat anorith whose inexplicably faster than half of what's available to you.

dat field boosted struggle bug

Like with flame burst and or a fire type she's not so bad(just watch out for anorith and Heather!) but without them I'd go as far as to say she's the hardest early game leader. Harder than Shade, harder than Kiki(though I consider her early mid-game), harder than Corey and definitely harder than Flobot and Julia.

She was giving me the blues though. Graveler's Strudy doesn't amount to anything since he gets KO'd before he can even do anything and I didn't have Nidoking although now that I think about it I could've gotten him long ago. All I know is that heather can go die.

Overall I think either Julia (because she's at the very start of the game and for the most part doesn't use evolved pokemon) or Kiki (intense psychic weakness), but on my NU-only run I was really surprised by how absurdly easy Shelly and Aya were - I faced them with a competitive meowstic and they just kept giving her the stat boosts :P It helped that both were double battles as I could use one pokemon as a placeholder to heal meowstic up every time they got close to killing her. So yeah, unexpectedly I had the least trouble with gym battles when I used NU pokemon only...

IDK why people think kiki has such a huge psychic weakness. Half her team is neutral to psychic, toxicroak has sucker punch for faster psychics and both hitmonlee and machamp will punish anything that fails to land the OHKO on them. Kiki's team is probably one of the most difficult teams to face unless you're fighting her under the sun or you're using meowstic-M.

IDK why people think kiki has such a huge psychic weakness. Half her team is neutral to psychic, toxicroak has sucker punch for faster psychics and both hitmonlee and machamp will punish anything that fails to land the OHKO on them. Kiki's team is probably one of the most difficult teams to face unless you're fighting her under the sun or you're using meowstic-M.

But the thing is... Lucario and Medicham aren't really bulky enough to take a boosted Psychic attack (I forgot her other Pokemon that is neutral to psychic attacks).

But the thing is... Lucario and Medicham aren't really bulky enough to take a boosted Psychic attack (I forgot her other Pokemon that is neutral to psychic attacks).

Lucario can if it uses CM first. The other you've forgotten is gallade which doesn't go down to psychic. I suppose it depends on how EV concious the player has been up until this point too, but IMO psyshock > psychic given how poor the defenses of kiki's pokemon are compared to special defense (psyshock is also a lot more useful against Aya as well)

Don't know what psychics are hitting hard enough at this point of the game to get past her either. Only delphox strikes me as an answer, as meowstic-F is too weak/needs substitute against toxicroak, ditto for swoobat. The rest of the psychics at this point are too slow and get ruined by dark coverage or just general hard hits from kiki's team.

Lucario can if it uses CM first. The other you've forgotten is gallade which doesn't go down to psychic. I suppose it depends on how EV concious the player has been up until this point too, but IMO psyshock > psychic given how poor the defenses of kiki's pokemon are compared to special defense (psyshock is also a lot more useful against Aya as well)

Don't know what psychics are hitting hard enough at this point of the game to get past her either. Only delphox strikes me as an answer, as meowstic-F is too weak/needs substitute against toxicroak, ditto for swoobat. The rest of the psychics at this point are too slow and get ruined by dark coverage or just general hard hits from kiki's team.

I found Kiki really hard (although I wasn't using a psychic type- Unpheasant for the win!).

However I've heard that Gothitha can wreck her team really easily.

For me, Serra was the easiest. I pretty much started with an Earthquake from my Donphan, and then swept the rest of the gym with my Typhlosion. It only took me two tries, which is a record, seeing as most of the other gyms take me five to twenty times...

Easiest gyms would have to be Julia, Shade, and Kiki. I managed to beat them all on my first try every time I've run through the league. Julia is super easy to destroy, especially if you have charmeleon. Shade just doesn't have a stellar team to really cause serious problems to even just a generic no prep team, and kiki is demolished by Pidgeot and Gothitelle. Gothitelle eliminates those that out speed pidgeot, and pidgeot sweeps the rest with efficient supereffective attacks, especially wing attack. Serra was easy too, but mirror field has made her a little harder to sweep.

Kiki has more than just that Psy weakness. I was having trouble against her on my mono rock run cause lunatone was too slow and fragile to sweep and I didn't feel like breeding a shuckle to get sticky web. So, I brought forth my ace starter Onix whom I thought might be getting underwhelming, but mope. Sent it against one of her less heavy hitters and it DESTROYED her.

To paint a picture, use sand tomb, double accuracy drops, then curse and sub to your hearts content. It's ridiculously cheap, but hey, she chose the field not me