Alternative to Level Cap

Toufu Survivor

Hey there! I've seen many people complaining about the Level Cap, and how annoying it is for our pokémon to disobey us mid-battle without us being able to do something about it (not even losing a turn to use a Reverse Candy mid-battle, which could also be an option).

So i'm here just to present another option i heard from Shofu, actually, and i thought it wouldn't be bad to point it out just in case you didn't know. In other games there IS a Level Cap, but it's handled a little bit different: Instead of your Pokémon disobeying you once they reach the cap, they get 1 exp every time they defeat a pokémon.

That way it would take AGES to grind, making it practically impossible. I don't really know how hard it would be to implement it, just giving some ideas!

Feel free to share opinions and suggestions!

• Developers

I personally think this is a great idea, and It was originally planned for version 6, but it caused too many errors and I wasn't going to risk it. Version 7 is a definite possibility.

That sounds something smart. But however some flaws can happened like someone have a lot of rare candy and such.

A hole in the case, but still i like that idea a lot. So people wouldn't exactly doing the disobey thing and wait for chance it will hit or not.

It's not a bad idea, but sometimes, when facing impossible gym battles coughvaleriecough I have to grind my mons past the level cap, either to gain a certain move, evolve them or simply rely on luck throughout the battle. This would make said gym battles even more impossible than they already are.

It's not a bad idea, but sometimes, when facing impossible gym battles coughvaleriecough I have to grind my mons past the level cap, either to gain a certain move, evolve them or simply rely on luck throughout the battle. This would make said gym battles even more impossible than they already are.

If you can find rare candies in hiddens or such, you could spare and use some of them for level up if you have some difficulty.

One solution I could see to this, even if ridiculous, would be having the breeders' audinos give exp regardless of the level cap. But still, common candies don't even cost that much. Plus, you get a lot of money from battles and whatnot, so I find the current system pretty balanced.

Yeah, those are thing to consider. The rare candies would have to be completely out of any shop.

On the other hand, for example, the level 35 cap before Marianette, i think is used mostly for us not to get the third stage of our starter just yet as it -maybe-.. -but not really as Marianette is a powerhouse- would make it easier than it is supposed to be.

I can confirm that if this is a thing that goes through- Aevium will suddenly go through a drought of Rare Candies...

Doesn't that also give the player a shiton of money if they want to sell the candies tho.

So kinda another hole again.

• Developers

Doesn't that also give the player a shiton of money if they want to sell the candies tho.

I mean, it's not like that's not already possible, if you know where to look. Plus like I said, there will be a shortage of rare candies. So they wouldn't even be able to sell the candies anyway. Not sure why you would sell a rare candy in the first place when it brings you over the cap though. :x.

Well, it's not like they can do anything too game-breaking with that money anyway. In the end, the thing I use most of my money for is repels lol.

Well, it's not like they can do anything too game-breaking with that money anyway. In the end, the thing I use most of my money for is repels lol.

Yeah that's true. Also i forgot you could by rare candy in gearen if that was true iirc some place.

Just throwing my own opinion in here....While the whole 1Exp idea sounds good at first, for games like Reborn/Rejuvenation with the increased dificulty compared to other games it becomes another hardship rather than being helpfull...For this particullar case i call to the stand : Vs Marianette and Level up moves!

For one, anyone who claims to not have fully evolved their starter then lowered it back down before her either had really good teams(which is not hard, but still) or got really lucky (maybe both)

As for level up moves, as evidenced above, many level their mons above the cap to learn a certain move, then lower them back down (a good example would be Misdreavus and Shadow Ball before facing Narcissa)

And as Jan stated that if he implements the 1Exp thing, he will be reducing the amount of Rare Candies, exacerbating the points I made...Which kinda makes the game harder....Which is kinda the point....Hmmm

But in my own personal opinion, the current method is "better", although the people that tend to whine "Its too hard" might like the new method...

• Global Mods

For one, anyone who claims to not have fully evolved their starter then lowered it back down before her either had really good teams(which is not hard, but still) or got really lucky (maybe both)

I fully evolved my starter for Keta, and didn't lower it back down.

I'd personally rather deal with occasional disobedience than 1 EXP, but I'm probably the only person who makes it a point to be ~10 levels over where I'm supposed to be.

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

Just throwing my own opinion in here....While the whole 1Exp idea sounds good at first, for games like Reborn/Rejuvenation with the increased dificulty compared to other games it becomes another hardship rather than being helpfull...For this particullar case i call to the stand : Vs Marianette and Level up moves!

As for level up moves, as evidenced above, many level their mons above the cap to learn a certain move, then lower them back down (a good example would be Misdreavus and Shadow Ball before facing Narcissa)

And as Jan stated that if he implements the 1Exp thing, he will be reducing the amount of Rare Candies, exacerbating the points I made...Which kinda makes the game harder....Which is kinda the point....Hmmm

But in my own personal opinion, the current method is "better", although the people that tend to whine "Its too hard" might like the new method...

I agree the current method is better imo, while 1exp method isnt bad, it will defeat the purpose of reverse candies which I think is pretty good since we can over level our pokemon for moves and such and then bring them back down to fight. Also, reducing rare candies vs pokemon not obeying you in battle, I believe the latter would be harder in terms of difficulty.

This thread is for rejuvenation right? but this could be used in reborn too x.x that would be nice

This can be used in pretty much every fan game that attempts to re-enforce difficulty ever. It seems like it's a common challenge with game design and not so much that the game developer wants you to suffer. In almost every case.

I personally think this is a great idea, and It was originally planned for version 6, but it caused too many errors and I wasn't going to risk it. Version 7 is a definite possibility.

yooooo JAN my fwen :] It's a brilliant idea really.

The biggest problem with your suggestion is the system is still relatively easy to exploit. I'm fine with the level cap as it is. The problem, at least with this system, applies to Reborn for now. You can still buy Rare Candies at the candy store, and the fact we have rematch trainers that still give us money. It's way less grinding than 1 exp, but it's still doable because odds are there's gonna be a tryhard out there. I say get rid of purchasable Rare Candies, and that system is doable.

I like this idea, but since i've got used to evolve my starter and reverse him back down for the level cap when i'm about to fight Marianette. So i'm gonna say no to that. Still a very nice idea though, and if you can find balance between the current use of level cap and this, it'll help the game a lot. Maybe like reduce the exp to like 50% or 25% ?

Weird I remember my biggest problem with marianette being the level cap since Monferno would turn into a jackass mid-battle and get himself killed. Thing is even when I tried to evolve him into Infernape and level him down, the game wouldn't let him evolve until after I beat her.

Exp.Share ?

Edited by biboo195