What's your style?

Your Style  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your style?

• Offensive (High Attack, Strong Moves)
    • Annoyer (Flinching, Entry Hazards)
    • Defensive (Guarding, Health Restoration)
    • Trickster (Stat Changing, Item Manipulation)
    • Balanced
    • Drainer (Leeching, Draining Moves)
    • Other (Comment Below

In my mono-Fighting, I used a hyper-Offensive team that took advantage of the Drainer move Drain Punch. I had almost everyone in my team running it.

In my current run, a mono-Psychic, I'm using an Offensive Trickster set. Prankster Meowstic M sets up dual screens (and has Charm because of a certain Garchomp), and Magician Delphox steals items.

I love to run hyper offensive sets in casual play but that can't work in competitive :3 so I run a balanced team (1 mega, 1 fast sweeper, 1 annoyer, 1 wall and a supporter like Ferrothorn).

There is just this love to tear everything to pieces and watch an opponents shocked face while you sweep their team but sadly that rarely happens.

• Global Mods

Usually I'm fond of boosting my stats and then using high powered moves (with 100 accuracy), lowering the opponent's stats, and status conditions.

That's in boss battles like Gym Leaders and such. Against ordinary trainer classes I usually just hit them until they faint.

A little mix of everything, so, I'm going with Balanced. The only style that doesn't really appeal to me is defensive/stall, because, well, that makes things drag out. That'll make a battle stale right quick. (It's also not particularly feasible in-game- more defensive Pokemon are difficult to train. Can you say with any honesty that you enjoyed training up, for example, a Wobbuffet? A Chansey or Blissey with or without Seismic Toss? Yeah.)

All-out offensive is nice, and gets the job done quick. But using trickier sets to mess with the opponent is a good deal of fun, too. Also a surefire way to make your opponent think: Can I switch this in safely without ultimately losing my item for something worse? And no one likes to be on the receiving end of flinch hax... but on the giving end? Entry hazards are very useful for racking up damage, too (which falls in line with getting the job done quicker).

Reborn-wise, incidentally, I like having a Leech Seeder, too. That move is extremely useful, even moreso than you'd think at a glance.

So most styles have their own little bit of appeal to me, thus, I'd say balanced is the best fit~

I noticeably drop off in win ability (if that makes any sense whatsoever) after the 20th turn. If I want to win matches, my best shot is to run through my opponent as quickly as possible. Thus, I tend to hold a likening for offensive play styles.

I -want- to master balance though.

If I don't care about winning, I like to mess with weird game mechanics, like Drain moves, Harvest, etc.

I like drainer and annoyer archetypes, they fit me the most I believe. I'm not smart enough to be a trickster, and I don't like using the mons that would enter the offensive and hyper-offensive categories.

I STRONGLY believe that Generation 6 has blurred the lines between all these styles. I mean when was the last time you saw a team dedicate exclusively to stall, or exclusively to hyper offense? In most of the tiers, but particularly in OU, there are so many threats looming (if the sheer amount of Pokemon out there wasn't enough, now we also got the whole mega business) that you cannot possibly have an out for everything. So yeah, the Gen 4 days of having a reliable counter for everything, and of going into battle knowing what is the best way to react to every move of your opponent ("If they send out this I answer with that") are over. Proof of this being that Salamence, a Pokemon that can run many sets and was considered Uber in Gen 4 for this very reason, is now UU: fixed roles, run-this-to-counter-this mindsets still exist, but are much more blurred out than they used to be, and versatility isn't broken anymore, rather it is a fundamental requisite to survive (this was my main argument against Greninja's ban by the way, a ban I still think was born from overreaction and overhype, rather than from actual knowledge of how Pokwmon works).

Because of this, I think that discussing Gen 6 strategy with Gen 4 terminology is... How can I say? It doesn't convey a correct picture of what is actually going on. Most of the teams you guys are discussing here would count as "balance" in Gen 4: even the most offensive teams nowadays MUST carry outs to specific threats, and prediction itself has lost a lot fo it value in such an unpredictable environment, with people relying on Volt-Turn core (like the ubiquitous Lando-T + Rotom-W combo) to gain momentum so that they have the upper hand and don't need to predict. The point I am trying to make is: if you run even one of these solutions, if your team has a Volt-Turn core, or if you thought "wait lemme include this out to this specific threat" when building your team, then your team is a balance one, even if its main win condition is an ultra-offense core or an insanely annoying combination of Prankster abusers.

So yeah, I myself wanted to discuss how I like to play mind games with opponents, and thus enjoy to run Zoroark, trappers, and/or Pokemon that force 50/50 situations... But even when building teams around such strategies, I have to include multi-purpose solutions to deal, if not with all of the threats, at least with most of them (my OU Zoroark Team for example includes the aforementioned Volt-Turn core as well as specially defensive cleric Clefable), and thi means those teams are actually balance teams. Because at the end of the day, everything is balance in Gen 6.

A mix of draining, defensive and trickster. I'm a patient guy so I like pokemon who can take a hit and sap away the opponent slowly but surely. Stat buffs/debuffs and items naturally help with this. Not really a hyper offensive guy since so many people use that style and tend to be better than me at it. I'm not the sort of guy who goes all out.

I'm more of an offensive type...

I never get much use out of my stat-changing moves so I either never learn them or ditch them later for a strong STAB move or a coverage move...

so ideally my mons have 4 attack moves; 1-2 STAB and the rest coverage moves...

ALWAYS HIT THEM RIGHT IN THE FACE!

(however... some of Reborn and the other fangames made me use some special tactics with stat-changing, weather, entry-hazards etc.)