Pokemon Genesis

All right, here's the alpha!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh6rwy0j4exfp1f/Pok%C3%A9mon%20Scribe.rar?dl=0

I have no idea how it will work for yall because I've purely tested this in debug mode. I don't think there should be any issues running it. Feel free to post any impressions and comments here on this thread, but if you come across any issues or bugs I'd prefer them over PM. :)

So far, there are a few things wrong with/missing from the beta that I know of. I'll go ahead and add them here for reference.

*Following Pokemon disappears when you blackout

*Following Pokemon does not disappear while healing

*Graphical glitches on a few tiles

*weird transitions

*Missing encounter music for various trainers

*VS Battle Sprites for Skye battle not working yet

*No Pokegear, no Xtransceiver at beginning (there should be)

The alpha ends at the end of the 1st route. There's no announcement of it, but you'll know when you're out of stuff to do.

Aaand I think that's it. Please notify me of any spelling errors, glitches, crashes, etc. I'd also like some impressions of the game thus far. Also, let me know how the animated sprites work on your computers. Thanks!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While playing, this is the only missing event I've noticed so far. http://prntscr.com/84q5a2

I would suggest that the event that happens right after the screenshot have a longer wait between the ! and ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the post(s) above, but there is no running sprite appearing for the male, left character.

While moving away from NPC's (The young boy with the Rattata for example) will stay in place but will glitch out of place by say 6 pixels while walking away. Shown trashcan can be walked through. http://prntscr.com/84q8ky (Sorry for being so nickpicky, just really want this to be even more if an amazing game! Shown trash can's top is overlayered by bushes. http://prntscr.com/84q96a P.S. Animated sprites work fine for me. Exiting from the bottom of the transfer building on the south of town pushes you a tile above the entrance. As below, trapped in the place we work at. Also I am able to the top floor to my house from my work place.

Edited by Jamaka2001

• Global Mods

In the Pokemon Center, it's possible to walk through the black space and stand next to the Pokemart clerk behind the stand. Also when you try to go upstairs, you just walk past the stairs and into the black space.

Also I'm unable to exit the place where you work at.

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

In the Pokemon Center, it's possible to walk through the black space and stand next to the Pokemart clerk behind the stand. Also when you try to go upstairs, you just walk past the stairs and into the black space.

Found that, thanks!

While playing, this is the only missing event I've noticed so far. http://prntscr.com/84q5a2

I would suggest that the event that happens right after the screenshot have a longer wait between the ! and ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the post(s) above, but there is no running sprite appearing for the male, left character.

While moving away from NPC's (The young boy with the Rattata for example) will stay in place but will glitch out of place by say 6 pixels while walking away. Shown trashcan can be walked through. http://prntscr.com/84q8ky (Sorry for being so nickpicky, just really want this to be even more if an amazing game! P.S. Animated sprites work fine for me.

All right, found the issues.

So, you can't run at all? Is this an issue with anyone else?

Also, I'll try to replicate the NPC problem you mentioned.

You're totally not being nitpicky, this helps a TON. Thanks! :)

I'm not sure if you saw the edit to my post (it seems you like were typing as I edited, judging by the times) but I can't exit the place where you work at.

If you click the space bar while standing on the rug to exit, you can get out. Sorry, error with the eventing. Let me know how this works.

Edited by Sunbean

If you click the space bar while standing on the rug to exit, you can get out. Sorry, error with the eventing. Let me know how this works.

Worked for me.

EDIT: Psyduck only gave me 1XP. After defeating your sis, her sprite is offset. http://prntscr.com/84qhlp Nurse Joy disappears while trying to heal your Pokémon after a blackout. 0 Pokémon being able to be encountered.

Edited by Jamaka2001

Other trainers are giving 1 EXP too.

Okay. I thought I'd fixed the issue but I guess it only works in debug mode. I'll fix that ASAP and post and updated link tomorrow. No point playing if Pokemon can't level up, lol! ^^;

trashcan.png

Skye sleeps in the trash can?

Also, if you leave to heal at the PokeCenter after fighting her and then come back, she'll fight you again. It also happens if, after the fight, you step to the side instead of down, but only her dialogue box and music play and you're frozen there.

And another thing (sorry if I sound like a jerk >.<") is that once the lady on Route 1 gives you the potions, she vanishes. A little boy on the Route has an illegal Lv. 6 Cherrim.

Edited by BreezyPonie

Working on all of the bugs, thanks so much for pointing them out, it's a HUGE help, considering I've only been debugging the past week. Honestly I'm glad the alpha is at least somewhat playable :P

I'll put out a second alpha with all of the fixes later this weekend, hopefully.

Edited by Sunbean

Working on all of the bugs, thanks so much for pointing them out, it's a HUGE help, considering I've only been debugging the past week. Honestly I'm glad the alpha is at least somewhat playable :P

I'll put out a second alpha with all of the fixes later this weekend, hopefully.

Not sure if this is the case here so take it with a grain of salt.

In Pokemon Insurgence, battles that only give you 1xp usually means you've hit the "level cap" and need to advance further in the story (acquire badges, complete missions, etc) to increase the maximum level again. Since Pokemon Scribe doesn't rely on gym battles until the second half of the story, maybe you need to create a placeholder item that works the same way as a badge, otherwise the game will cap them because of the lack of progression. This exists to prevent players from over-grinding and steam-rolling over content that is supposed to be difficult, i.e gym leaders. :)

Edited by IvoryOwl92

Not sure if this is the case here but... in Pokemon Insurgence battles that only give you 1xp usually means you've hit the "level cap" and need to advance further in the story (acquire badges, complete missions, etc) to increase the cap again. Its a way to prevent players from over-grinding their Pokemon and steam-roll over the gym leaders.

No, this is early in the game, not a level issue. It's a great feature though.

Regardless, the 1 exp issue is fixed! I tested it a few times and it looks fine. :)

Aww, the link doesn't work anymore. Oh well, can wait when the bugs is fixed

My dropbox was getting too much traffic on my other links so I had to clear out my folders. :P I will reupload it to Drive once I finish the second alpha.

Since Pokemon Scribe doesn't rely on gym battles until the second half of the story, maybe you need to create a placeholder item that works the same way as a badge, otherwise the game will cap them because of the lack of progression. This exists to prevent players from over-grinding and steam-rolling over content that is supposed to be difficult, i.e gym leaders. :)

Yes, the game already set to "give" gym badges once you finish important battles.

Okay, every bug mentioned here and via PM has been solved. I don't know if it's necessary to publicly post the link again, but if anyone wants to check it out and find anything else, just let me know and I can send you a link. I hope, all things going well, the first version will be out in September and it will more or less be a few solid hours of gameplay.

Aside from that, thanks to everyone for their help, it's been amazing. :)

Okay, every bug mentioned here and via PM has been solved. I don't know if it's necessary to publicly post the link again, but if anyone wants to check it out and find anything else, just let me know and I can send you a link. I hope, all things going well, the first version will be out in September and it will more or less be a few solid hours of gameplay.

Aside from that, thanks to everyone for their help, it's been amazing. :)

Can i get a link of it. Pm me if you want.