Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Arision, I do recommend before/after this gym battle you take a break from progressing in the storyline and try to catch/train some mons up. You're lacking in backups to use as well as team variety, which is essential for Reborn. Also, make sure your mons aren't underleveled/overleveled as that will be a handicap to you. You generally want to keep them a couple of levels under the level cap, which should be around 45 for Aya I think.

Anyways, get rid of Grimer and Dusclops as they won't be doing as much (Dusclops can take on Gengar but still won't be helpful in the double battle). Then, try to pickup any of the following mons: Meowstic, Malamar, Graveler, Piloswine, Dugtrio, Seismitoad, Marowak, Whiscash, and Gastrodon. Be wary of her Gengar w/ Giga Drain and Tentracruel.

Having some major problems with Shelly, quite frustrating really;

I'm doing a Steel Monotype runthrough; so I'm pretty limited on choice

Currently my team is

Empoleon:

Level 35

(Defiant)

Metal Claw

Brine

Bubblebeam

Aqua Jet

Onix:

(Sturdy)

Level 34

Rock Slide

Stealth Rock

Smack Down

Dragon Breath

Forretress:

(Overcoat)

Level 33

Spikes

Protect

Payback

Bug Bite

Wormadam:

(Overcoat)

Level 34:

Bug Bite

Protect
Psybeam

Hidden Power (Ice)

That's it. Not a full team, but there aren't many catcheable Steel (or things that evolve into steel) types available at this stage in the game. If you know of others, or a way to help, that'd be great :)

EDIT: Currently wondering if it would be worthwhile to level the prinplup to 36 to evolve it, then use a common candy to get it back down to 35.... seems like an idea...

EDIT2: Went ahead and did it. Stats increased by +12/+13/+13/+19/+15/+6, along with Metal Claw now being a STAB move, giving it 1.5X damage

EDIT3: Well, Empoleon with Defiant valiantly SWEPT PRETTY MUCH THE ENTIRE TEAM. They kept using struggle bug which lowers his special attack, capped out his physical attack, and he 1-2 shot everything with metal claw. Was GLORIOUS to see the pokemon that had been giving me trouble be instantly dropped to the red zone after hearing *shank shank*

So uhh... I guess I solved my own problem. Feels pretty satisfying, to be honest. Thanks anyways :D

Edited by Mortally Divine

@mortally divine using just steal types may be more of a hendorence than any thing else coming from my own experience with steal types and i beat shelly with one pokemon and that was grolwith (or how ever you spell its name) i just spamed flame burst and that took care of shelly in general wasnt really a struggle to beat her

@derpy simon what in blazes is a malmar and a gastrodon

Edited by arision1

Wait, wut. You don't know what either of them are? Gastrodon is a Water/Ground Pokemon introduced in 4th Gen while Malamar is a Dark/Psychic introduced in 6th Gen.

If you need to know more about them, look them up.

yea never really heard of them brobably because i dont have a 6th gen game and i was compleatly oblivious to the 4th gen

EDIT1 i just looked up malmar on bulbapedia and no results so even bulbapedia has never heard of malmar

EDIT2 ok kinda misspelled the name my falt on that one on a side note its so ugly

Edited by arision1

Gonna need some help with Kiki

Monotype Steel run

Empoleon

Level 44 (Hardy)

Defiant

Metal Claw

Bubble Beam

Aqua Jet

Brine

Magnemite

Level 44 (Jolly)

Analytic

Flash Cannon

Magnet Bomb

Metal Sound

Electro Ball

Klang

Level 39 (Naive)

Minus

Gear Grind

Mirror Shot

Charge Beam

Rock Smash

Wormadam

Level 39 (Docile)

Overcoat

Protect

Psybeam

Hidden Power(Ice)

Bug Bite

Forretress

Level 43 (Rash)

Overcoat

Spikes

Protect

Payback

Bug Bite

Steelix

Level 40 (Docile)

Sturdy

Iron Tail

Crunch

Rock Slide

Sand Tomb

Having a lot of problems with her fighting types D: Not exactly sure what to do >.<...

Steel is one of the harder types to do a monotype in Reborn... dang.

Kiki's mons are Gallade, Lucario, Toxicroak, Medicham, Machamp, and Scrafty. All of which excluding Medicham have a decent amount of bulk in em whether in physical, special or both defenses. That being said, I really can't give you advice as you're quite limited on the mons you can use. Maybe you can try to use items like berries from the Department Store to help/pray to the gods for random crits?. You can also try to utilize the effects of the Ashen Beach to help benefit you.

I do have a suggestion that I'll leave in a spoiler if you're interested.

If you have/look for a old episode of Reborn, you can level up Magneton inside of Shade's Power Plant to make it evolve. However, I don't think this would really help all that much.

For starters, I think it might help a little if I level up my mons a few times?

Here's how the battle has been going:

Magneton can kill machamp, but is usually left really weak (lower yellow zone / red zone) afterwards.

She then sends out medicham, who kills the rest of my team with High Jump Kick. Maybe one of these times she'll miss and Empoleon can go back to sweeping?

Klang is almost worthless, he's insanely slow and squishy, and gets 1 shot by pretty much anything, and doesn't do much damage in return.

Steelix can survive 1-2 hits, and because of sturdy is guaranteed to hit at least once. Bad thing is, due to medicham's typing, his Crunch isn't super effective, which would help a lot.

I'll list the TMs I have and the poke that can learn them, and see if we can make anything from that?

TM30 Shadow Ball

Wormadam

TM57 Charge Beam

Magneton

TM60 Quash

Empoleon

TM76 Struggle Bug

Wormadam

Forretress

TM77 Psych Up

Magneton

Wormadam

Steelix

TM94

Rock Smash

Forretress

Empoleon

Steelix

HM01 Cut

Steelix

Empoleon

TM96 Nature Power

Steelix

I could also maybe grind for another metal coat to power up steel type moves?

Is there an item obtainable at this point in the game to power up water type moves?

EDIT: gonna be a breakdown of the field effect in a spoiler..

* The following moves stir up ash, lowering all active Pokemons' accuracy one stage:
Special Flying attacks
Twister Fire Spin Leaf Tornado Razor Wind
Whirlpool
I cant use any of these moves, because steel types don't learn them D:
* Fighting types are immune to confusion
Only hinders me, I have no fighting types
* Pokemon with the following abilities ignore accuracy and evasion changes when attacking, unless an opponent has Unnerve
Own Tempo Sand Veil Pure Power Steadfast
Again, useless to me, none of my pokemon have unnerve nor any of those abilities
* Activates Sand Veil, Sand Rush and Sand Force
None of my pokemon have any of those
* The following moves' stat-boosting effect is amplified:
Calm Mind Sand Attack Kinesis Meditate
Only helps Kiki kick my ass harder
* Sand Storm and Sandstream last for 8 turns
Maybe I could somehow get one of my pokemon to learn sandstorm?
* Psych-up cures the user's status
Would only be beneficial if Kiki had any statuses to apply
* Focus Energy boosts the critical hit rate 3 stages (from 2)
Don't have that, only helps Kiki
* The follow moves gain a x2 increase in power:
Mud Slap Mud Shot Mud Bomb
Nope. don't have any of those either.
* The follow moves gain a x1.5 increase in power:
Hidden Power Land's Wrath Surf Muddy Water
Don't have any of those.
* The follow moves gain a x1.3 increase in power:
Zen Headbutt Stored Power Aura Sphere Focus Blast
Again, only helps Kiki
* The follow moves gain a x1.2 increase in power:
Psychic
Why couldn't this effect psyBEAM?
* Nature Power becomes Mediate
Maybe teaching a 'mon nature power so it could use Mediate? Might help?
* Camouflage changes user's type to Ground
Don't have that
* Secret Power may lower accuracy
I have HIDDEN power, so again, this one is useless.

EDIT: I JUST HAD AN EPIPHANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If forretress or wormadam use protect, WOULDN'T MEDICHAM FAIL HIGH JUMP KICK + CRASH? OMG, TESTING NOW
EDIT2: alright, so it does work, but it is now up to the RNG gods of protect + high jump kick. And my prediction levels. RNGesus pls
EDIT3: RNGESUS IS SO MEAN. I'm about to rip my hair out, I have the potential to beat Kiki with this team, using protect, but the RNG fucks me over every time. EVERY TIME.
EDIT4: I've broken down and grinded some levels. Hopefully levels will solve, I'm thinking if I just put everyone at 44 (right below cap) then I should have an easier time?
EDIT5: Way too many edits D:. anyways, only in pokemon reborn can I get Kiki down to her last pokemon, Lucario, with empoleon still full HP. As my hopes skyrocket, I watch empoleon get ONE SHOT by aura sphere due to the field effect. *flashback to the post where field effects were introduced, noticing that the field effect was HELPING ASH WIN AGAINST GYM LEADER helpful, rather than annoying an obstacle that only makes me angry better as a trainer.
EDIT6: After 4 hours of RNGesus betraying me and not going my way, steven found victory in his steel types. Never. Again. 4. Hours. Of. Soft. Resetting.

I am having trouble with Charlotte. FYI I do not have the TM for rain dance. My team is as follows:

Charizard Lv 69

-Air Slash -Flamethrower -Scary Face -Rock Smash

Luxray Lv 66

-Wild Charge -Spark -Discharge -Strength

Kingdra Lv 67

-Surf -Dragon Pulse -Agility -Dragon Dance

Metagross Lv 69

-Meteor Mash -Zen Headbutt -Bullet Punch -Hammer Arm

Zoroark Lv 66

-Night Daze -Foul Play -U-Turn -Night Slash

Florges Lv 67

-Moonblast -Petal Dance -Wish -Aromatherapy

Hm, for Charlotte I would recommend taking out Metagross for now as it won't be doing much against her mons. Since you can't go back to Reborn City without going back to a previous episode, you'll be only limited to the mons in the Mountains and in Route 2,3, and 4.

Mons I would recommend you pick up would be a Heatproof Bronzong (it can learn Rain Dance if you take it to the Move Relearner at the Circus), ground types like Graveler, Rhydon, Boldore, Piloswine, and any other water type you can pick up. Make sure you get rid of the mons that you can use Solarbeam such Ninetales, Typloshion, etc.

Lead out with any mon you wanna sack + Bronzong so it can set up the rain and you can switch in Kingdra or some other mon. Good luck.

To be honest, I don't see how you could win without it. Lumineon learns it, and you can catch them in the waters of Ametrine. You'll need a heart scale as they learn it at level 13. There is a move relearner in the Agate Circus now, a clown to the direct south of the big top. S/he is behind a bunch of boxes.

Lead with Lumineon and Florges. Set up that rain, and use wish to keep Florges alive. Then switch Lumineon out as she has two Ninetales. Bring out Kingdra and Surfs up. Use Florges as utility by healing Kingdra whenever necessary with items, and remember to use wish whenever Florges grows weak. I hope your Kingdra has Swift Swim, but if not, it doesn't really matter. It would eat up any of the moves Char would use.

Glad to hear you beat it.. now you have to deal with the fact you won't get a badge so your mons may start to disobey you :]

I went back to reborn city and bought like 10-20 common candies. Hoorah!

TBH, I expected to have a lot more trouble with Cain, but surprisingly enough he only took like 3-4 tries. Kiki though.... omg... I actually backed up my save right before I fought her, just incase I ever get an idea that would make the fight easier, and see if I can try it. If you want me to I could upload the save file and let you have a whack at it :P?

EDIT: as for help with charlotte, Rock Slide and Surf are pretty much the best moves in her gym, as they're super effective + hit both people (IIRC it is a double battle? if not, ignore this)

EDIT2: Just had an idea to beat Kiki. Theres someone doing trades again, so I trade from my main to get a Riolu and a Beldum, train them up and Bam, I have a steel/psychic type and a steel/fighting that both have REALLY good stats.

EDIT5: deleted 3 + 4, irrelevant now. As for this one, I am upset about the PULSE abra changes. Before, it was a level 100 abra that uses hyper beam to kill your team, and you get a hit inbetween. NOW, its a PULSE abra that 1 shots my whole team using dark pulse. How am I supposed to beat an abra with dark pulse that has 25 levels on me xD

For the Abra, it is a bit tricky to do. The way I did it was I placed a Dark Type as my lead member. Abra will most likely use Hyper Beam to defeat it, instead of using a move that is "Not Very Effective". You take the next turn to beat the snot out of him. It might also help to Paralyze the little guy with Thunder Wave.

I figured out that the AI was using dark pulse because all of my pokemon are steel, and it wont use a move that's "not very effective" so it goes to dark pulse. I was able to finally beat him by starting empoleon, who can tank through 1 dark pulse, and making him use bubblebeam for damage. Then aqua jet, so that he hits first. Change to Steelix, then he holds on with sturdy, and gets off 1 crunch, which happened to lower defense (thanks RNGesus).

Then I swapped out one of my steels for a fairy type that you get for free, can't remember the name. But since dark is not very effective to it, abra uses hyper beam. Then I send in Escavalier, who used X-Scissor to drop abra to red zone (his attack is insane, level 55 and its 211). He was able to tank 1 dark pulse with 9 HP remaining, allowing him to finish abra off with another X-Scissor. Overall, it was just a strategy thing, but thanks for the help :D.

EDIT: I swear Ame is evil, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF NOELS HIDDEN POWER TYPES IS FIRE. WHY? But seriously, is it somewhere in the script set so that hidden power is always super effective against your team? Because I swear, I'm pretty tired of watching my pokemon get 1 shot by hidden power because "the grass beneath X caught flame". If it came from just one of his pokemon, fine, but when every single one of them have fire? That's pretty frustrating

[[Aya]]

--Your current team--
[blaziken] | [45]

[-]
[speed Boost]
[Naive]
- Double Kick
- Bulk Up
- Blaze Kick
- Sand Attack

[Roselia] | [43]

[Rose Incense]
[Poison Point]
[Adamant]
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes

[Luxray] | [45]

[-]
[intimidate]
[Quiet]
- Crunch
- Thunder Fang
- Charge
- Swagger

[Vibrava] | [43]

[-]
[Levitate]
[Timid]
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Sand Tomb

[Murkrow] | [43]

[-]
[super Luck]
[serious :( ]
- Wing Attack
- Haze
- Night Shade
- Feint Attack

That Dragalge is a nightmare, Murkrow can't one hit Gengar, Nidoqueen is terrible spamming Spikes and Stealth Rocks and there's the wasteland field, my earthquakes are doing nothing, please help!

Yea, the nature of your mons may be causing issues with you not OHKO/doing enough damage. Also, check out how the Wasteland field affects your team and how you can make it work for you.

Anyways, I would recommend leveling up Vibrava to Level 45 so it can evolve and then lower its level with Common Candies. Then, I would take out Murkrow and Blaziken (you can keep him on if you want to) for other mons that can do more.

Mons I would recommend to use would be Gothitelle, Meowstic, Malamar, Graveler, Piloswine, Dugtrio, Seismitoad, Marowak, Whiscash, and Gastrodon.

Be way of her Tentacruel w/ Icy Wind as that can bop alot of your mons with its annoying movepool.

Yea, the nature of your mons may be causing issues with you not OHKO/doing enough damage. Also, check out how the Wasteland field affects your team and how you can make it work for you.

Anyways, I would recommend leveling up Vibrava to Level 45 so it can evolve and then lower its level with Common Candies. Then, I would take out Murkrow and Blaziken (you can keep him on if you want to) for other mons that can do more.

Mons I would recommend to use would be Gothitelle, Meowstic, Malamar, Graveler, Piloswine, Dugtrio, Seismitoad, Marowak, Whiscash, and Gastrodon.

Be way of her Tentacruel w/ Icy Wind as that can bop alot of your mons with its annoying movepool.

Thunder Fang can deal with Tentacruel, but Gengar and Dragalge spamming Sludge Waves... that's annoying, the nidoqueen is another nightmare, drapion can sweep my team with Aqua Tail and Poison Tail, the Venusaur is easy..., I'm going to catch some new mons.

You'll have to elaborate in which order Aya sends out her Pokemon, because the best way to deal with her Gengar is to OHKO it with Blaziken at +1 speed and maybe +1 atk. If she sends out Gengar before Dragalge, then you have to get Blaziken in early; if she sends out Gengar after Dragalge, then you have to try to KO Dragalge before it can attack.

I figured out that the AI was using dark pulse because all of my pokemon are steel, and it wont use a move that's "not very effective" so it goes to dark pulse.

No, it's just choosing attacks randomly. I've had PULSE Abra use Dark Pulse against Blaziken and it was a 50-50 tossup whether it'll use Dark Pulse or Hyper Beam.

Edited by dondon151

You'll have to elaborate in which order Aya sends out her Pokemon, because the best way to deal with her Gengar is to OHKO it with Blaziken at +1 speed and maybe +1 atk. If she sends out Gengar before Dragalge, then you have to get Blaziken in early; if she sends out Gengar after Dragalge, then you have to try to KO Dragalge before it can attack.

No, it's just choosing attacks randomly. I've had PULSE Abra use Dark Pulse against Blaziken and it was a 50-50 tossup whether it'll use Dark Pulse or Hyper Beam.

Thanks, I defeated her, I evolved Flygon so Dragon Claw was OHKO against Dragalge, Blaziken destroyed Drapion and Venusaur, Gengar was OHKO'd by Murkrow (Critical Hit), Nidoqueen couldn't do anything against Flygon, thank you all for the help.

Thanks, I defeated her, I evolved Flygon so Dragon Claw was OHKO against Dragalge, Blaziken destroyed Drapion and Venusaur, Gengar was OHKO'd by Murkrow (Critical Hit), Nidoqueen couldn't do anything against Flygon, thank you all for the help.

Darn, just as I was about to suggest an all steel type team. Aya is pretty much useless vs. all steel

EDIT: I have a serious question: does Ame pre-set the hidden power types of gym leaders/random trainers? or does the game set their hidden power type? Because I swear, its very odd that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Noel's pokemon have the hidden power type of Fire. Was that pre-determined? or did the game look at my team and say: its all weak to fire? Its insanely frustrating that I should be able to beat him, but any one of his pokemon can 1 shot mine with hidden power, and I keep having to reset to try and get a run where he doesnt use hidden power.

EDIT2: Finally beat Noel, he only used hidden power once >.>

EDIT3: Anyone wanna guess what Fern's Roserade's hidden power type is? >.>

I am stuck on charlotte(fire gym leader)

Sunlight + field + acess to hiper potion(I can only buy ultra potion,not too usefull at this point) = op

current team

[Charizard] lv 67

blaze,docile

flametrhower

wing attack

smokescreen

cut

[Alakazam] lv 67

timid, inner focus

psychic

shadow ball

grass knot

calm mind

[Leafeon] lv 67

Carefull,chorophyll

leaf blade

swords dance

quick atack

grasswhistle

[Azumarill] lv 68

jolly,huge power

aqua tail

charm

bounce

superpower

[Porygon 2] lv 67

modest,download

tri attack

charge beam

discharge

signal beam

[Haryama] lv 68

thick fat,relaxed

close combat

force palm

strenght

surf

Recently caught:

[Walrein] lv 63

thick fat,brave

blizzard(to destroy superheat field)

frozen breat

surf

rest(filler)

[Rhydon] lv 63

looney,reckless

earthquake

drill run

stone edge

hammer arms

any solarbeam OHKO him,otherwise he would be usefull

[Drugiggon] lv 60

rash,sheer force

night slash

dragon tail

rock climb

superpower

Edited by rew_s11

Just with your team, you can probably craft a successful strategy, though it'll require trial and error. Charlotte has a lot of specially offensive Pokemon, so Alakazam might be able to CM up and sweep. The problem is that you have to get rid of her lead Darmanitan, which I'm 99% sure has a Choice Scarf. Her Typhlosion also likes to fire off Eruption, which does a ton of damage and transforms the field into a burning field.