Community Upkeep, Round 2!

Amethyst

• Administrators

This really is a sort of sequel to the things I talked about in this post, so if you haven't already, go read that.

In continuing to review our discipline policy, we've decided to take a step we have not taken before and merge the forum and server disciplinary actions. That sounds weird, what does it mean? Well, for instance, if you get banned on the server you get banned in real life from the forum too. Pretty sensible, but we haven't done it before. Showdown's registered names makes this a bit easier, so we're going for it. We are not applying this retro-actively.

In tandem with that, as a moderator team we've found warning points to be really helpful. Those on the receiving end of them may not agree, but that's how it is. Besides, remember they do go away after a time- picking up one or two is no big deal, just don't repeat-offend. Anyway, we have decided to also use the forum warning system to track and communicate server-based offenses.

These will work the same way as forum ones, but in general minor server-based offenses will go away sooner than forum ones. There's also no point value for chatspeak and non-english chat on the server because although we do actively discourage that, we're not about to ban people for it. These items still have points on the forum because this is a persisting media and should be cleaner than the server.

So with the server in the mix, we've adjusted our scale for consequences:

1: The user is no longer eligible for Voice.

2: The user loses voice status.

3: The user loses Ace status and is no longer eligible to buy it.

5: The user is put on a 30-day post preview.

7: The user is locked on the server until they fall below 7 points.

10: The user is banned from the server and forum.

Regarding locked users coming down to below 7 points, it will be their responsibility to ask a server mod to be unlocked.

As an unrelated note, speaking of Ace Membership, we will no longer be automatically giving Ace Status to donating users. Since Ace has become harder to get, it feels wrong for the easiest way to get it to be with real money. Plus, let's face it, donating users still get a butt-load of $R (which is nice now that it actually has a use) so it's not like they can't buy it when the time comes.

Anyway, that's the ugly stuff out of the way. Let's get onto some lighter news:

The site shop has been cleaned up quite a bit. Defunct items have been removed, remaining items have been updated in price, stock and a couple other ways, and they don't show broken images now. Which is, you know, nice.

There's also a new item in the Site Shop for owners of Showdown Chat-rooms that can be used to set or update the description of your room. Your description must be appropriate, and only a room owner can use it for their own room. The item is fairly cheap and I've bolstered the initial stock, so everyone can hop on that now.

Finally, as everyone has noticed, the forum index has been cleaned up a bit. The PRCL and PZA boards have been hidden until they're active again (Pokenations survives due to it returning soon). The Jubilife and Fan Club forums have merged (because to be quite frank I could not tell you the difference between them anymore and that seemed like a problem...), some forums have been squished to sub-forums, and perhaps most excitingly...

Following up on the poll, we are now hosting Creative Writing and Sports forums. The CW forum is pretty set, however the survival of the sports forum is tentative on its consistent activity, so if this is something you care about, prove it by continuing to participate there.

Happy posting, everyone!

• Upvote 7

But people who got Ace from donations before will retain it, right...?

It appears that way to me, it's worded 'We will NO LONGER be GIVING Ace status to those who donate'

It doesn't say anything about removing current Ace Status, and that'd also likely just be more of a pain for Amethyst then it's worth.

• Administrators

If we were to obtain points, would it be possible to have those points removed in some way?

If you mean manually, then I'd have to say no; the temporary nature of the points would be kind of pointless (hahaha get it) if they were to get removed before they would be automatically removed anyway.

Otherwise, what Jericho said. Remember in the last announcement that we said there's varying... durations, I guess, for each offense's point(s); one stays for as little as 5 days, and the worst offense stays with you for eight months.

• Upvote 1

Finally, as everyone has noticed, the forum index has been cleaned up a bit. The PRCL and PZA boards have been hidden until they're active again (Pokenations survives due to it returning soon).

as i've said before, i'd be willing to host prcl again if we could maybe do some scheduling around nations/pza.

So, 1 point and you can never get Voice? As I recall, double-posting can get you a point. This might just reduce the number of younger users who make this honest mistake, from being capable of receiving Voice in the future (or representing in case of a PZA-forum-based auction system).

yay, farming for ace membership