Fire Emblem on Forums: Annaquest: Thirteen Merchants in Search of a Payday (IC)

Blasbo

Beverly_t.png

"Huh?" Beverly took a step forward. "I Am smiling or at least i was before someone thought they needed to interrupt me." Shes sad flipping her hair. "Besides my way would get a bonus it there was one anyway. After all I make an impact on people and they remember me and with everyone just hanging them up I will be the one people remembers." She said with a glint of smugness "If it was you everyone would just run away since your hiding under that creepy hood of yours."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully, Anna had been holding the stack of flyers with one hand, and under her arm at that, so while she was surprised when Hibiscus grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the group, she was able to keep herself from dropping any flyers. Her surprise mostly came from the fact that she wasn't entirely used to Hibiscus being... Energetic at all, but when she heard the woman's plan, Camellia understood why. 

Anna_Neutral_Eyes_Closed.png

"Well... Hm..." Anna began, trailing off as she thought about the plan. It was all good, after all, Carnation had said they needed to give them out and/or put them up, and Camellia could always drop most of her flyers from the sky and then put a few up on the ground, but the one problem was the fact that she had to fly to begin with. Which meant getting Mary out of the Stables, which she had struggled to put in there in the first place. Anna could already see Mary's smug look when she came back in to get her.

But, at the same time, being able to let out some steam and fly might help Mary relax, so it'll be easier to put her back in to the stables afterwards. Maybe, probably not, but maybe.

Anna.png

"Sure, we can do that. Carnation did say that we only needed to hand the flyers out" Camellia finally replied, straightening the flyers that were still under her arm as she turned and began heading in the general direction of the stables, presumably with Hibiscus walking with.

Hearing the way Kyou's tone changes, Ke feels like she's been pierced in the heart by one of her own arrows. Her own smile drops, and a pained look crosses her face for a moment as she looks down at the street.

kedismay.png

"Much like I, then."

She's glad when Kyou moves on, though, and takes an interest in the fact that she's been to cities before. Satomi interjects before she can remark on it, though, and Ke takes no offense from her words — they're true enough, after all.

kepleasant.png

"Ruinsfolk leaven hardly; much the time, we seen no need," she replies. As she talks, she recalls, upon seeing Satomi plastering up posters, that she ought to be doing the same, and sets about finding some places to pin them up as well, never straying more than a few steps from the others. "Can been hard find, too," she adds with a small smile. Considering how vast the Ruins are, and how few live there, it's no surprise that one could wander it for weeks, maybe even months, and never see anything but bears and foxes.

kedismay.png

After putting up another flier, she returns to her conversation with Kyou, looking at her curiously. "Sellen why knowledge of the Great Ones?"

pyonchick.png

"I'm happy that you're on board, as long as we get the job done and the word is out there what does it matter how we got there." She walks next to the Anna, with a joyful jaunt to her step. "How is Mary doing? Has she be giving you trouble as per usual? Maybe we should pick up a treat for her so she is more willing to come with."

tPgMShi.png

"Pays for searching more. Travelen far into Ruins can dangerous been, need much supplies and sometimes help. Always interested in dragons; they had much knowledge, but seeming not enough. Interested in Bane, why it happened, and maybe find how cured it been." Kyou looked slightly embarrassed at the last; it was a lofty goal, to say the least, but it was one that went back a couple generations. "Exploring paid for exploring." 

The answer does not surprise Ke, and she replies only with a kind of melancholy, understanding nod. She has never before heard of Ruinsfolk selling the knowledge left behind by the Great Ones, but considering how insular she is beginning to realize her world and understanding had been, she can only guess that there's much more that she's never heard of before. Nevertheless, it is so very different from what she has known.

kedismay.png

"Often finden those who exploren the ruins look cure for Bane, other sicknesses even."

She looks thoughtful for a moment.

"Oftener for greed... they taken of others, and keepen for own. Stopping these aren what I done all of life."

Kyou nodded. The Ruins were vast enough that it was rare to come across another party, and harsh enough that those meetings had usually just resulted in banding together for warmth for a day or two before moving on, but she wasn't so naive as to think everyone was there for purely scholarly pursuits. 

FCxOyJ4.png

"Many searchen for weapons, but we tried to let lie them. Worth lots of money, not but the cost of sleeping at night." The conversation was starting to grow grim again, so Kyou shifted tacks slightly. 

43ZXqvg.png

"Always bad it not been, though. Traveling to cities helpen find and share more discoveries, and cityfolk pay for trivia like dragon pudding recipes."

OhWhgDc.png
Chance had been resting quite soundly since the last time that Anne had seen her. She seemed quite peaceful, her breaths calm and peaceful. It almost felt like it'd be a crime to wake her up, an injustice against the universe or something. Or maybe that's only what Chance would've thought as Anne seemed every so eager to awakened the pink haired maid. The decision to not shake her awake was a smart one at least... but he'd not need to find out why for the time-being. Small groans of protest came as slowly her body booted back up hearing a voice she only somewhat recognized. It didn't sound like Miss Carnation, the only person she was used to being awoken by. "Hmmm?" her first sound that could be interpreted as something other than a random sound. She began to sit up in the hammock, rubbing the sleep from her eye.

When her vision cleared, she then saw who it was, it was the pretty bodyguard! The shock of such made her unable to contain a small "Eep!". Chance's hand quickly came to her chest as her face went bright red. She suddenly began fidgeting with the whole of her body, unprepared to have dealt with this situation right when she awoke. She used her technique from before, taking a deep breath and then slowing counting to 3 to calm herself, of course doing the latter out loud again.

"You didn't have to~ So sweet of you for little old me..." in a flash, the tiny maid snatched the waterskin from Anne's hand and tilted it up to the sky. Gulp after gulp she drank it down within seconds not stopping to breath even once. "Ahhh~ That definitely hit the spot, almost like you knew just what l needed. A true knight in shining armour saving the maiden in her time of trouble and need. OOOOOO, lt's just so wonderful~ l can almost feel myself being swept off my own two feet! It's like they aren't even planted on the ground!" she said as if it was a completely normal thing to say and she wasn't being suspended in the air by a hammock.

Anna_Neutral.png

"Yeah, she just doesn't like being cooped up in a small space, such as a stable. But she also doesn't enjoy cities, so I didn't have much of a choice but to put her in. I think there might be some treats at the stables though, I can grab some from there, or... Wherever" Anna replied, marking a mental note to buy a small bag to carry stuff around in, like treats for Mary, "I think she'd enjoy being able to fly a bit more though. Hopefully she hasn't been annoying Gwyn much. You didn't put Gwyn next to Mary, did you? I didn't actually see."

Anne almost didn't expect her to suddenly snatch the waterskin away from him, but he was able to give it up rather quickly and let her enjoy her drink. He patiently waited for her to finish and listened to her flirty words; he still wasn't necessarily used to being flirted at to this degree, but after a brief glance back to Venus, he was able to get his mojo back.

UNLNgMg.png

"Well, that last one might just be because you are suspended in midair. On a hammock. But! For a, once more, limited time offer, I can go get you some more if desired, with other requests free of charge! Though certain requests may incur extra fees depending on the extremity. Just to make sure you have 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed!"

bUyyIbX.png

"Yea, a negative impact..." Janus mumbled under his breath,  "I just don't... do well with crowds, which is why I keep my hood up. That is also why I'm opting to hang my fliers up and not dump them on every passerby I see." The boy gave a short sigh. It seems like it's gonna be way to much effort to try and explain this any further. Honestly, going back to hanging up fliers alone seemed like a better choice at this point.  "I'm just gonna... get back to that. You keep doing whatever I guess..." 

OhWhgDc.png
"Being swept off one's feet is a state of mind, not a state of being~" The tiny maid corrected, her finger pointing to the sky, she declared it so. She gleefully giggled at her own statement, perhaps at of some sort of indecipherable pride. She listened intently to the current sales pitch that her clearly current caretaker was sewing. He'd probably done similar before when she wasn't exactly coherent. She'd honestly not paid a single mite of attention to anything he'd said then but sensed the presence from his voice. She had hoped he'd not pulled the old Anna scheme of trying to put her into a blood contract while she was sleeping and it had seemed by his second limited time offer it hadn't be the case. He was not quite the salesman Miss Carnation was! Ha HA! She'd be more than fine then if this was the case. She'd picked up a few things here and there from Miss Carnation's antics...

"A 100% guarantee huh? Good news! Miss Carnation would be quite upset if l wasn't happy with you service after all as her mostest and favouritest maid in this whole wide world." she said her smile completely and utterly innocent in every single way possible. She kicked her feet lightly over the edge of the hammock, whistling quietly to herself. There was still a quiet lethargy to her but it seemed to put her to a level of energy that was more normal for... less peculiar folks. "You know there was the one time somebody tried to extort money from me and Miss Carnation put an arrow through his hand... aaaah you should've seen the look on his face when from what was nearly a block over an arrow just zipped through! He still flinches every time l wave to him in the street... nice guy really." her anecdote just popping to mind. Miss Carnation was ever so nice to her after all... she was happy to have such a nice boss. Honestly they were more like good friends or sisters or something then Master and Servant. Well...maybe less sisters, the boss seemed to have more than enough siblings so being a close friend was waaaaaaaaay more special.

"l think l'll take you up on that offer though! l could use a bit more to drink and some decent breakfast. l hadn't had the chance..."  a snort sneaks out of her before she continues. "Just bring me another bag of water, and whatever ya thinks good in the food sense. l'm not a picky eater... it'd get in the way if couldn't taste the food l was preparing.~"

Beverly_t.png

"Well you won't get any better with them if you run away from them." Beverly said as moved behind Janus."Here let me give you a push in the right direction." she said as she pushed Janus into a group of people "Hey this guy here has a totally awesome deal for you." She said to the group with a rather proud smile on her face "Have fun." She whispered into Janus' ear before she moved away leaving him to the group of people.

So it seemed Anne was starting to understand a little bit better why Carnation was paying him extra to take care of Chance, as she talked about a mile a minute that was a bit more difficult to keep up with compared to the average customer. Despite all this, Anne wasn't willing to back down; he had a job that needed doing and he was going to make sure it was done best he could. Even if it was a bit tricky... and certainly the thought of an arrow through his hand wasn't exactly a good one, but it didn't intimidate Anne all that much, thankfully.

UNLNgMg.png

"Well, rest assured, I try to do whatever I can for a job that needs doing. But that sounds good, just give me a little tiny bit! I always try to have some goods on the go..."

With a look of confidence on his face and the quiet sound of a buckle clanging, Anne unstraps his backpack and takes it off, digging a little bit. Eventually, he pulls out a decently sized canteen of water and a few sandwiches in a bag. While he looked somewhat cheap pulling them out of his backpack, they were still decently fresh; he tried to make sure to restock every so often. After all, you can't feed the customer with a meager meal. Satisfied, he offered them to Chance.

UNLNgMg.png

"It's not much, but still fresh! I always try to have a decent set of supplies on me in case the potential buyer emerges, but just for you, I'll give it to you for free. If the sandwiches aren't your thing, I got a couple of other things!... Though it's mostly trail mix, I'm not exactly the best cook in the world."

bUyyIbX.png

"W-wait!" Was all he could manage to say before being thrown into the masses. "Oh god... OH GOD!"  He clutched his fliers close to his chest as his legs began to noticeably shake.  "A-ah... he-... uhhh.." Was all he could muster with all the gazes locked onto him. He would continue this indefinitely until someone came in or the people all just went back to what they were doing before.

pyonchick.png

"No, I stabled Gwyn on the far side of the stable. Where the more expensive stalls are. Gwyn does over half of the work that earns the pay, the least I can do is spoil him once in a while." Hibiscus paused after saying that, keeping a silence for a bit. She looked at Camellia and made a 'hmmm' noise as she thought. "You know, a flower would look great on your hair." She finally stated. "Maybe a violet, or a rose. It would bring your feminine side a lot more. I know your name is Camellia, but I've already stolen the 'wear your namesake on your hair' idea. So a rose or a violet would look great methinks."  

Beverly_t.png

Beverly watched Janus as she stood there like a deer caught in headlights. Frankly it was painful to watch and a bit pathetic in her eyes. After a few moment of letting Janus stew in the group she sighed and walked back up "See we are handing out fliers for of bosses shop you should check it out." She said as she grabbed some of Janus' fliers and handed them to the group before dragging Janus away. "Wow that was really pathetic. What are you going to do if we get in a fight and you get surrounded?" 

bUyyIbX.png

"HA HA! You should see the stupid look on your face right now! Honestly, its cracking me up how completely pathetic and helpless you are!"

The lad tried to move, tried to say somethine, anything... but nothing would come out. A wave of both relief and embarrassment washed over him as the ginger girl took over. His head sulked towards the ground as he was dragged away,  "I-in combat that's not really a problem. While I'm more of a duelist myself, since I've trained mainly for one-on-one combat, I haven't had a problem yet. Though I haven't actually been in real combat too many times to find out for sure..."

Beverly_t.png

Beverly gave Janus a dumbfounded look. "Really? If you wanted to fight one-on-one then why did you join a group?" She put her hands on her hips "You better not be expecting us to do all the work well you get get to have a showdown with another idiot." she pointed towards the others in the group "Cause I'll be out there making sure you are carrying your own weight. If you can't I'll tell the boss to cut you off the first chance she can get."

bUyyIbX.png

"I just needed food money... and all I can really do is swing a sword so there weren't many options... B-but I don't plan on being a burden either! S-so you don't need to worry about that!" He puts his hand up to his face, palms facing Beverly, and shakes them back and forth.  "Hey, uuuhhh, this is gonna sound weird and strange but if I ever threaten the mission or 'don't carry my own weigh' please don't hesitate to do what's necessary. The last thing I want is to cause anyone trouble."

As soon as the words "Expensive stalls" left Hibiscus' lips, Camellia's face seemed to freeze. Was she not putting enough effort in giving Mary a comfortable spot to rest? Did more expensive stalls even mean that they were more comfortable? Probably, but Camellia realized that she never actually thought of that. Maybe it was because Mary never seemed to care where she was being put, she just never liked closed spaces, but if she had started with better conditions, then maybe she wouldn't be as rebellious.

Thankfully she didn't have to keep on that train of thought for long, due to Hibiscus' follow up statement, the suddenness of it causing Camellia to turn and blink in surprise,

Anna_Neutral.png

"Wha- Really? I honestly didn't think flowers suited me. Mary might like one though, but... Thank you for the compliment" Before falling silent again. Mostly because, as much as she didn't want to admit, wearing a flower in her hair might actually be pretty nice. A strange form of nice, but nice nonetheless.

Anna_Neutral.png

"... Maybe a violet would be nice, actually...she muttered after a bit of thought, before opening her eyes again, "Regardless, I don't think a Camellia flower would really fit me, since it would sort of blend in with my hair, unlike you, Hibiscus."

Beverly_t.png

Beverly's face lite a up bit from Janus' statement. "Oh, good to know. Though I would of done it anyway with out you permission. I won't let anyone cause problems for us again." She said smiling "Though if it was just money for food why didn't you get a hob moving things or something. Quite sure you could find a moving things like tomes or books. If any researcher is like Kyou they need help moving things...they have to many books." she said closing her eyes in thought.

bUyyIbX.png

"Being anything other than a swordsman is out of the question. I trained my whole life to succeed my parents in maintaining the family name. I will not disgrace them by spending my life organizing books. Even if I do find more enjoyment out of it." For once the boy sounded sure of himself, but that wouldn't last too long,  "Truth be told there's another reason this job was appealing. We're going to be traveling a lot and I really need to be on the move. I'm... searching for someone important to me you see."

Beverly_t.png

"Family........"Beverly muttered as she grimaced a little bit before shaking her head in annoyance. "Really, who are you looking for then?" Beverly asked preferring the topic that didn't involve family. "Its going be rather hard for you to find them if you can't even talk to a small group of people."

OhWhgDc.png
"It's an art form after all~ Not everyone's cut out for it so don't feel too bad now." The maid said a reassuring smile on her face. She knew the art wasn't anything easy. It'd always been trouble for the maid when she had started out. She figured she didn't have the ability... but practice found her the way to unlocking something she didn't otherwise know. Well, that and a few broken dishes, exploded cakes, and a live bear tearing around the estate... That... was a story for another time however. She happily took one of the sandwiches and began to inspect it, though in a way that only she'd ever do of course. Anne would notice only a puzzled look on the maid's face, as if gears were slowly turning. He could almost hear them that image was that powerful.

"Hmmm, seems to be... Turkey, lettuce, onion... what kind l wonder? Doesn't seems like they are yellow. Red maybe?" she seemed to be parsing the ingredients but she wasn't using her sight to do so having the ever so humble food item still within the pouch Anne had handed it to her in. She rattled off quite a few more things, striking out a few possibilities, and making some of the wild guesses that Anne could imagine. She seemed to get so absorbed in her strange exercise that it was like she forgot he existed for the time being. That was... until she suddenly addressed him. "Ah what a hero~ Coming ever so prepared! That's a truly admirable quality in a person, it is, it is!" Pleased as could be, she took a bite as she began swaying back and forth ever so lightly where she had been seated. 

"This will do quite nicely..." she said, but there was a strange lowering to her voice. Was she lying? Did she not truly enjoy it? Was it going to be a bad mark on his performance and end up in a dock of his PAY!?!?!? It was none of these things. "So... who are you anyway? You never visited Miss Carnation before as long as I've been working here and it's been a few years of service at this point. She paying you to watch me or somethin'?" a sinister tension hung in the air for a moment as the Maid smiled at the man in front of her, a tension thick enough to be cut with a knife. Had she figured out what was going on? Was she angry? She certainly could be wearing one of those hollow smiles that hid murderous intent...

"Ppp-... PPPPSSSSSH~ HAHAHA!!!" and all of it dispelled in a mere instance. She wiped a tear from her eye, a quick flick of her index finger but she couldn't contain herself clearly. "Aaaah what a silly thought that was! Be quite the thing if Miss Carnation was spending so thoughtlessly when she knows l can take care of myself. l certainly do appreciate the company though.~ l was being serious... you are...?" the question clearly leading. She sat patiently waiting for the answer as she nibbled at the provided food, no longer a trace of any sinister intent... only the cute innocent maid that she first seemed to be.