Can the first impresison of Reborn be ruined by a Nuzlocke?

Wolfox

Hello there people of the forums.

I am here today hoping to start a little discussion about something that has "plauged my mind" for a while. Can your opinion of Reborn be ruined if your first impression of the game is a Nuzlocke? Please let me know what you think :), but be respectful of others opinions. So if you disagree with someone and want to call them a "dumb idiot who should drink base liquids" (you know, the Verlisify treatment) just don't say anything.

So, I personally believe that ones opinion on Reborn can quite easilly be ruined by a Nuzlocke. My reason for thinking so is because Reborn is more of a trial and error game than many other Pokémon games, be it main series or fan game. Reborn's biggest strength is that the boss battles are some of the best battles in any Pokémon game. However, if you don't know anything about the boss or the field effect it can quickly turn into a lost Nuzlocke before you even got a badge. Or it can make a game that's easily the hardest Pokémon game I've played even harder (no shit sherlock) to the point where it could be considered "Bullshit", because the boss has a good match up with the field effect (looking at you Blake...). In other words, some of Reborn's greatest strength can become it's downfall if you first time playing the game is a Nuzlocke (at least from my point of view).

So yeah, do you agree with me? Do you disagree with me? Please let me know

• Global Mods

I think it would depend on how it was approached, but yes, quite easily. If someone kept having to grind new team members up to level against the (frankly quite tough) grand hall trainers whenever they lost a member, that would generate quite a lot of frustration, especially with how late the likes of exp share and lucky egg are. even worse, if they quit or had to restart upon failing the nuzlocke, that's a massive detriment. and in general, as you said the trial and error nature of fights, and the tendancy to encourage "teching" your team against major fights, usually after an attempt or two, generally makes it feel very unsuited for nuzlocking, especially as a first time experience. The limitations on player-power with pokemon quality, item quality, levels and money also tend to make it harder, as while the game doesn't just throw you against overpowered crap (like some other fangames) it also stops you from getting overpowered things, leading to more fair, and less swingy fights, which are less likely to result in a teamwipe, but much harder to win without a KO in my opinion.

Hmmm... I think if my 1st time playing Reborn with Nuzlocke rules, I would lose quite easily but the look of the place and wanting to get into the game would make me at least restart the game but as just playing through it regularly. In fact, I've seen a couple of YouTubers do this. The game gets really good, they eventually lose but they ditch the Nuzlocke rules and start going through to see the story unfold. But I've seen a few others just give up after the loss because the bosses/gym leaders/field effects. So, I guess what I'm saying is depending on how the game looks to them will determine their 1st impressions of Reborn. They'll either love the story and ditch the Nuzlocke rules as soon as possible or whenever they lose OR they'll be too frustrated to even continue through when they fail the Nuzlocke/when it gets too "bullshit" for them.

Nuzlocke=get depressed after losing a team member with which you had created a strong bond.

So, I'm the wrong person to answer, because Nuzlockes are a no-no to me, even though I enjoy watching them on Youtube! Especially the reactions in deaths are priceless. I guess I'm too evil to enjoy someone else's pain.

But, quite frankly, Reborn is Nuzlockable only after many runs. Gotta know and be prepared for every thing. And probably train special teams/mons for each leader. I hate nuzlockes because experimenting isn't allowed. Experimenting in Reborn means losing a lot.

• Veterans

Having done 2~ nuzlockes of Reborn, frankly it's just outright not worth it tbh. The sheer amount of grinding necessary is insane once you get later down the line. The difficulty itself is so and so.

Honestly, doing a challenge run of almost any game the first time through might mess with the experience.  In some cases it might not ruin it, but that would depend on your experience I guess.  I can definitely imagine Nuzlocks of Reborn spoiling your first impression (especially if you are so set on following the rules that you won't even finish the game); then again, I'm not a fan of them personally, so I might just be projecting a bit.

As several people have said by now I think that nuzlockes are not great for a first time player of the game due to the ammount of experimentation needed for some bosses and even some of the prep work needed means that most bosses will have deaths maybe not full team wipes but enough deaths to make it a huge pain with grinding up new members. That said I think certain challenge runs (like mono runs) can be good cause it allows you to do some of the bonding with team members without the punishment of loosing everything to 1 iffy battle.