Development Blog

Amethyst

• Administrators

y0 wassup tho, for class this semester our teacher requires us to maintain a wordpress blog for the duration of the course. since I have a one track mind, looks like I'll be doing a development blog for Reborn.

Here's the link: http://reborndev.wordpress.com/

There's a post up there about the Characters page on the site, and our assignment this week requires we include a poll, so there's one included about what to do with that page. I'd much appreciate it if y'all gave it the young vote. As for future posts, I'll throw up another post here or a status update or-- something.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a basic idea you must value, such as 'reviewing' a movie without 'spoiling' it. Tell us the who, maybe the why, but never what, where, when and how. That's why I don't play many linear games that I see LP's on, we already learn the where, why and how from watching it.

Including all the characters will spoiler the game (of course for the most part it depends on their description but still) so i think it's better to list only "early" characters (mid game at max) or list them all but with progressively smaller descriptions.

Edited by Gaunt

I think the Characters page should consist of moderate character coverage, although it should also include some silhouettes of later characters along with some teasy blurbs.

If you give potential players too much information at once, you run the risk of spoiling too much for them, and then they don't have as much to look forward to.

On a separate note, juggling both school and this Reborn project must be very time-consuming. Kudos to you.

Edited by Foamy

I think part of the experience of Reborn is to learn about the characters as the game progresses.

Seriously, i would NOT like to read what you have to say about Lin.

Because in my opinion - If you're not vague about the characters, you're probably going to spoil something. And if you are too vague, it's not going to make a difference if you talk about them or not.

Also, looking at the characters page right now, i don't see a lot of problem with it. This is what i have to ask though:

- You need to add the other two protagonists, of course.

- Any character changed their VS. Sprite/Trainer sprite? If yes, then that needs to be changed.

- idk... is there wrong info in there? if yes, then that has to change.

Apart from that, i don't know. I like the idea of keeping some character away from that page. At the same time, any person that looks at the Leader Line-Up is going to learn about some characters anyway. Sooo...

To be completely honest, i'm lost. If the answer to any of the questions i made is "yes" and you fix it, then that's it for me. If you add more info, i won't mind. if you don't, i won't mind either.

...is there an "i don't know" in that poll?

Eh, personally I'd say to remove it in order to keep the game as spoiler-free as possible. Though if you have the scripting skills perhaps add a character bios page to the Pokegear that updates as the player progresses through the storyline, so players that are new to the game can use it similarly to a clutch to help them understand Reborn's lore.

I voted for AAAALLLL THE CHARACTERSSSSS, but as everyone's suggested, keep things subtle. Don't give too much away.

That being said, seeing as I know and love and hate some of the characters, I might have a bit of bias. A newer player would probably not want to be spoiled too much, but enough to get them interested.

Although I quite like Sarun's suggestion, too. I'd be okay with that as an alternative. Doesn't sound like it'd be fun to script, though, and I don't think we want to add any weird Pokegear bugs.

Did I mention that the fact that Radomus is considered popular makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, because it does

WHOOP only one of three that voted for the least amount of character information possible.

• Seriously though, the game does enough justice for some of the less profound characters story-wise. It's so well written that I actually READ dialogue at a slow pace just to take it all in. I feel like an in-depth character page that puts all of the cards on the table could potentially spoil the game content related to those characters - regardless of how subtle it's written.

I voted all characters. That's mainly because of the way you put the question to me.

So tell me, which of these three layouts would best encourage you as a potential player of the game to give it a try?

Reborn has a huge cast of characters and each one is important to the plot in their own way. This is out of the ordinary for a pokemon game, a long way out. By showing off the cast on the characters page and making a note that they're all important it tells a potential player who has had no prior exposure to the game that this is something different. Something well worth checking out.

As everyone has said, don't go overboard with the info. I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that though.

AT LONG LAST, the character page *might* be updated. I've been too badger-y about the site's development. Though, it's no fun to explain everything. Moderate amounts of characters and info would allot understanding, but not great knowledge of them. A good in-between would be a moderate number of characters (typically who we see thrice) with the current minimum amount of character development explained.

I'd definitley say go for the moderate amount of characters. Too much info spoils the overall story and not enough particularly leaving in just the protagonists and rivals isn't really enough of an attention grabber for this kind of game. The character page was what helped me decide to try the game in the first place because you had simply identified Anna, Charlotte, Noel and Laura as the doctors patients not gym leaders. I was currently reading through plenty of pokemon hacks and fangames at the time and whenever I saw the same advertised set up of a new region, new villain team, and 8 gym leaders, I might consider the game but I most likely wouldn't try it only because I was looking for a strange twist to the series. The fact that you revealed other characters who play different roles from what we're used to was what grabbed my attention(particularly the Doctor and the patients) because you didn't advertise a reused formula. Or at least what looked like a completely reused formula.

Lastly there really isn't enough on the character page as is to spoil the game. It was the pitch that caught my attention then and I believe that updating it with a few more characters in regards to the current episode will not harm spoiling the story in any way provided that you continue using the same setup you currently have. One or two sentence descriptions and a quote from the character in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had the idea on this thread, and wasn't sure where to post this (It's not really worth making a new topic over) so forgive me if this is the wrong place, but it's the most recent and appropriate one I could think of.

Should there be a place in the game to legally change your player name? I mean, we're going for "equal representation" with the whole genderless protagonist thing, so if we're able to change our Pokemon's names, we should be able to change OUR names.

Edited by Eagleby18

Just a small question.. If I want to change my character to a nonbinary one could I change the protag in the game ? I mean when the poc characters were introduced you could change your character in the game.. I mean I would love to play finally as a nonbinary but I don't want to start a new save file because of this.. I mean I don't want to lose my main file haha.

Sorry if this isn't understandable. I'm too tire and lazy to check my grammar.

Straight from the announcement post in mews and announcements.

In E14, existing save files will be able to switch to the new protagonists at the Grand Hall or the Agate Circus, if they so wish. Look forward to it!

Had the idea on this thread, and wasn't sure where to post this (It's not really worth making a new topic over) so forgive me if this is the wrong place, but it's the most recent and appropriate one I could think of.

Should there be a place in the game to legally change your player name? I mean, we're going for "equal representation" with the whole genderless protagonist thing, so if we're able to change our Pokemon's names, we should be able to change OUR names.

Not sure if we want to supply something like this or not, but either way if you'd like a namechange to fit the new protag you're using, send me a PM with your save and I can take care of it for you.