13.2 Take two

Amethyst

UM...I found an issue with the ability capsule. In episode 12 one could change to hidden abilities but now I can't. Was this intended/ Because I just started a new file and FINALLY got me a timid Swirlix but it has Sweet Veil rather than Unburden. Granted several gym battles and story battles are doubles format but Unburden helps with a slurpluff's otherwise poor speed. I tried using the ability capsule I found at the factory to switch to unburden, but even though it says "abilities have been shuffled", Swirlix remains with Sweet Veil instead of gaining Unburden.

UM...I found an issue with the ability capsule. In episode 12 one could change to hidden abilities but now I can't. Was this intended/ Because I just started a new file and FINALLY got me a timid Swirlix but it has Sweet Veil rather than Unburden. Granted several gym battles and story battles are doubles format but Unburden helps with a slurpluff's otherwise poor speed. I tried using the ability capsule I found at the factory to switch to unburden, but even though it says "abilities have been shuffled", Swirlix remains with Sweet Veil instead of gaining Unburden.

It's not that you can't change to hidden abilities, rather the ability capsule mechanic has some randomization in it. I've already got a cleaner implementation in for e14 where ability capsule changes work as follows:

1 ability : no effect; capsule not used

2 abilities : 1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2

3 abilities : 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3

Additionally, main series games don't allow you to change to Hidden Abilities, but I'm being lenient this time. ^_^

It's not that you can't change to hidden abilities, rather the ability capsule mechanic has some randomization in it. I've already got a cleaner implementation in for e14 where ability capsule changes work as follows:

1 ability : no effect; capsule not used

2 abilities : 1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 2

3 abilities : 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3

Additionally, main series games don't allow you to change to Hidden Abilities, but I'm being lenient this time. ^_^

Well I know the hidden abilities aren't officially changeable (either to or from) in the main games, its just that in the last version they worked in the way you describe for 14. Then again the randomization feature likely gave the illusion.

Now the problem I have is that pokemon with only one ability plus their hidden ability based on your chart for episode 14 implies I'll still be out of luck with my swirlix, which means I'll have to reset my game AGAIN to get a timid Swirlix with Unburden, and I already had a hard enough time with a Kricketot with a jolly nature and Run Away to get Technician on Krikitune...

Edited by NUTCASE71733

Now the problem I have is that pokemon with only one ability plus their hidden ability based on your chart for episode 14 implies I'll still be out of luck with my swirlix, which means I'll have to reset my game AGAIN to get a timid Swirlix with Unburden, and I already had a hard enough time with a Kricketot with a jolly nature and Run Away to get Technician on Krikitune...

No, you won't. When ability capsules are used on Swirlix with the new code, its abilities will change back and forth from Sweet Veil and Unburden.

In the main series games it would have no effect, but as I said, I'm being lenient with it since Pokemon can be found with their Hidden Abilities in the wild naturally in Reborn.

No, you won't. When ability capsules are used on Swirlix with the new code, its abilities will change back and forth from Sweet Veil and Unburden.

In the main series games it would have no effect, but as I said, I'm being lenient with it since Pokemon can be found with their Hidden Abilities in the wild naturally in Reborn.

Oh ok I misread that entirely. I'll keep trying with my capsule. But it still bothers me how even in the current version there's no change taking place....I've reset the game several times and each time I use my capsule it appears to fail entirely. Do I have to wait for episode 14 for your tweak to have effect? If so I can manage that, it wnt be a problem to store Swirlix and Krikitune away until I can accomplish that..

Edited by NUTCASE71733

Oh ok I misread that entirely. I'll keep trying with my capsule. But it still bothers me how even in the current version there's no change taking place....I've reset the game several times and each time I use my capsule it appears to fail entirely. Do I have to wait for episode 14 for your tweak to have effect? If so I can manage that, it wnt be a problem to store Swirlix and Krikitune away until I can accomplish that..

I think your problem is that you continue to reset the game after using one, try to buy 2-3 Ability Capsules and use them one after another (checking each time if the ability changed of course) it should work (at least it worked for me)

I'd really love if the rivals wouldn't use potions anymore...i'm finding this too hard

Like really? You know that Reborn is (much) more difficult than any of the "original" Pokemon games? They use Potions there too.

As a side note wouldn't it be interesting if all (or at least the rich ones) trainers used them?

I think your problem is that you continue to reset the game after using one, try to buy 2-3 Ability Capsules and use them one after another (checking each time if the ability changed of course) it should work (at least it worked for me)

Well I only have the one capsule at the moment, but if it's supposed to be random I would have expected a change by now. But I'm willing to wait for episode 14 anyway and besides stocking up on the ability capsuls may be the best idea for me now anyway. When the late game events come up I'll need the best abilities.

Well I only have the one capsule at the moment, but if it's supposed to be random I would have expected a change by now. But I'm willing to wait for episode 14 anyway and besides stocking up on the ability capsuls may be the best idea for me now anyway. When the late game events come up I'll need the best abilities.

If you'll allow me the brief computer science-y aside, the issue you're facing might be a result of computational randomness as opposed to "true" randomness - ie. it's randomly changing it according to a pattern and when you use it and reset the game and try again it's "randomly" following the same pattern and giving you the same result.

... or you're just really unlucky, it's hard to say as someone so detached from your playthrough. :P

If you'll allow me the brief computer science-y aside, the issue you're facing might be a result of computational randomness as opposed to "true" randomness - ie. it's randomly changing it according to a pattern and when you use it and reset the game and try again it's "randomly" following the same pattern and giving you the same result.

... or you're just really unlucky, it's hard to say as someone so detached from your playthrough. :P

If I could show a video of my issue I could, but yeah after the third failure to change abilities after I got my answer from you on this topic, I figured that what you say here is the case. I've seen similar things happen with the roaming legendaries in the main games with how natures are determined upon the specific event's initial start and as such that really ticked me off.

I compare what I experianced to the roaming legends because if one saves after starting a roaming legendary event like Latias/Latios in R/S/E or begin pursuing the legendary beasts in FR/LG or HG/SS, the birds/mespirit/cressilia in D/P/Pt or Thunderus/Tornadus in B/W because if you save after starting the event, and even with a pokemon carrying synchronize as your lead you're more than likely never going to get a pokemon with the nature you want. This sucks especially with the case of the birds in platinum and the beasts in HG/SS due to how you have to contend with multiple roamers. If you save after the event then you're out of luck entirely, this feeling of hoplessness with being stuck is what I felt when I had this problem to begin with since abilities are just as important as the nature (and IVs) for a strong pokemon.

But at least I know that in the next update it should be hopefully fixed, besides in this game you're more than likely to constantly rotate your roster constantly so I'm not going to have most of the pokemon I have on hand throughout the game most likely, it may still be a bit annoying but at least I know what's going on.

i just used my charizard for the first time at 71 after obtaining the cinder badge and charizard is ignoring orders... and i have 13.2

edit: nevermind im an idiot i forgot to unzip the folder and put it in the right place after downloading it...which fixed the problem

Edited by sandy

I'm really bad with computers. I have the 12.1 version currently installed and I've just gotten the HM01 Cut so I can get into the ward with the overgrowing trees. How do I update to the most recent version of the game without losing my progress or missing any of the story? Thanks for any help provided.

Save somewhere inside (like a Pokecenter) and download the game (after that you can delete the older version if you want) that's it

I am having trouble. I can't seem to complete the froakie puzzle. That is it will not gove me the prize after i finish the puzzle. Help please?

Forgot to mention this, When will you fix the trainer card thing? I don't want a mono ghost type team.

Fixed it for you, but first no double posting please. ~B. Guardian

I am having trouble. I can't seem to complete the froakie puzzle. That is it will not gove me the prize after i finish the puzzle. Help please?

Forgot to mention this, When will you fix the trainer card thing? I don't want a mono ghost type team.

Second, if it's not giving you the prize then you may not be completely finished with the puzzle. Are you sure it looks like the image in the Graphics folder exactlywhen you're done?

Third, the trainer cards are going to remain broken until the underlying codestuff (ie python generators and such) are fixed, which doesn't seem to be soon. Sorry.

This is interesting. I think I have a bit of a breakthrough on the issue with the ability capsules. I THINK that part of the problem I had was it-at the moment-doesn't work on certain pokemon regardless of the number of abilities they normally have. I say this because I tested this out on a new game. I did this I got a bit stuck as I needed a fire pokemon and I couldn't get a good enough happiness rating to get Vulpix quickly enough and I didn't have a good setup at the time to deal with the Klingklang that attacks in the Railnet so this new playthrough uses Charmander as the starter. I normally pick Bulbasaur as evolving to Ivysaur and using Sleep Powder and Leech Seed I found are the best ways to deal with that Klingklang early in the game (I personally feel that in the future altering movepools on some pokemon may help in some respects).

In the new game my team currently is Charmander, Panpour, Krickitune, Meowth, and Cleffa. Panpour wound up getting Gluttony over Torrent, which is ultimately a more useful ability overall (though Gluttony can have it's upsides) so at the risk of disappointment I used my ability capsul on Panpour, and it worked. Gluttony turned to Torrent.

Now given the issue I had previously its likely the whole randomization thing actually worked in my favor this time around. Not wanting to risk it I saved the game there because I needed Torrent anyway. As I said chances are the randomization worked this time, but this made me think a bit. Randomization means random obviously. Last time each time I had to reset to try the capsule again it failed to change ability despite the message saying the ability was changed.

This leads me to think that somehow the capsules wont work on certain pokemon at all, or at the very least the capsules current randomization effect seems to be faulty, because random or not it shouldn't stick to the ability already set on the pokemon at the time one uses the capsule. I mean after all Metronome never triggers Metronome in an endless cycle, and Sleep Talk never causes the user to use Sleep Talk again the same way it's odd that the capsules are doing that.

Points for a nice bit of deductive analysis.

Unfortunately for you I've already diagnosed and corrected this issue ^_^

Yeah I know I was explaining it for the current episode in particular so no one gets as confused as I did before. I mean if this is isolated only to a few specific pokemon it's worth noting so people can avoid wasting an ability capsule until the next episode is released.

Gurl, so I was totally hyped for battling charlotte. I had my strat all planned out, lickylicky + Golem, 1 explosion = double KO, send out levitator (elektross) and Golem follows up with earthquake = 4 dead fire pokemon and 1 dead licking gumball.

I had it all planned out, HOWEVER!!!!! When my dear Lickylicky used explosion, it killed itself and NOTHING MORE, NO ONE TOOK DAMAGE. pls fix Q.Q, I mean I beat charlotte anyway (on te 8th attempt) BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT! Can I has bugfix? :3

Edit: Oh Uhm, I just tried using an iron ball fling with my machamp, and it doesn't do anything, it says "machamp used fling" and then skips your turn XD