What nicknames do you use?

derekwst3

I wonder what you name your pokemon if you name them. Do you name them weird sounds, do you name them what they are, do you give each one a weird name referring to someone. I always name my ratatata or ratacate Joey, Illumise and Volbeat, Illum and Minati. my shuckles will be named tickle, while my minum is named Norbik my plusel Kreed. I have weird names for all my pokemon.

I actually have some names saved on a notepad, so I won't forget:

Shiny Dragonite: Every Day
Staraptor: Hunter x Hunter

Scizor: Favorite
Escavalier: Soldier Side
Medicham: Censored
Yanmega: Jack Bauer
Ferrothorn: uTorrent
Entei: Firebane
Raikou: Electricbane
Suicune: Waterbane
Ambipom: Handicking

Vivillon: Beelzeboss

Shiny Zygarde: Delicious

Trick Room family (my trick room team):

Reuniclus: Daughter
Porygon2: Son
Slowking: Mother
Heatran: Father
Conkeldurr: Grandfather
Klinklang: Grandmother

Depends entirely on what Pokemon it is... although usually, mine are either dorky or not terribly inventive.

They're usually any combination of: normal names, ones named after characters (including Reborn ones as of late), nicknames derived from the Pokemon's name in another language, those named after the titles of songs, and finally, ones that I just think suit them.

Chester the Meganium, Madara the Arcanine, Irrlicht the Gourgeist, Echoes the Noivern, and Fiasco the Absol, for examples of each of those, respectively. I nickname everything I catch (that I intend to use, if I can think of a nickname anyway) so if I tried to list examples of all of them this would be a very long wall of text.

Depends entirely on what Pokemon it is... although usually, mine are either dorky or not terribly inventive.

They're usually any combination of: normal names, ones named after characters (including Reborn ones as of late), nicknames derived from the Pokemon's name in another language, those named after the titles of songs, and finally, ones that I just think suit them.

Chester the Meganium, Madara the Arcanine, Irrlicht the Gourgeist, Echoes the Noivern, and Fiasco the Absol, for examples of each of those, respectively. I nickname everything I catch (that I intend to use, if I can think of a nickname anyway) so if I tried to list examples of all of them this would be a very long wall of text.

same here nicknaming everything i catch but i name most of them from animes or what they look like togekiss is eggwhite, swampert kanade

I usually name my pokes after some characteristics. Crobat-PoisonWing, Swampert-Unbeatable (i don't know why), Gardevoir-Psycho , Scrafty- OO KILL'EM(after shofu's famous quote), [these are on my team] and pokes i'm gonna use eventually are also named after characteristics.

One of those three:

- References

- Random stuff (a.k.a i think about something on the spot, for no reason)

- I imagine what the pokemon does in it's free time and name it something related to that.

Gyarados: Water GOD

Xatu: God

Cinccino: Lil Devil (Which i think it's pretty fitting)

Qwilsharkfish: Ballon

Aggron: Mother******

Chandelure: Furniture

Swampert: Tidal Wave

Bayleef: Bayleef

And other stupid stuff like that.

Usually I come up with a new name each time, however there a few cases where I use certain names for certain pokemon.

As for one of those cases, I usually name my first female Vulpix/Ninetales Inari, which is the name of the japanese kami of foxes (among other things, but the 'fox' part is the idea).

Ever since Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky, every Vulpix I've ever owned was Sophia.

Also, ever since Emerald version, every Milotic was Mila.

Other than than those, I try to come up with something that would sound like something you'd name a pet, but influenced by the Pokemon's biology, usage in battle, or Pokedex entry. Examples are: my Blaziken is "Blitz" because of his Speed Boost and what he does to opponents after he sets it off. My Shiny Golem is made of lava, so I call her "Igneous". Igneous is a type of rock, made out of hardened lava. My Flygon is named "Spirit", because her pokedex entry says Flygons are known as "The spirit of the desert". Gyrados is "Powerhouse", and I'm pretty sure you can guess why.

Edited by Eagleby18

I never named them in my first pokemon game (which btw, was precisely reborn), but after I named my starter in a rom hack, I fell in love with naming all my little creatures of destruction.

Riolu: Rio (male- yeah I know sooo original XD)/Lucy (female)

Chinchou: Rhonda

Jynx: Frostitute

Absol: Yin (female)/Yang (male)/YinYang if there's only one in the game available throw event (I'm looking at you reborn...)

Croagunk: Toxkro

Male/Female Mienfoo: Xao

Female Mienshao: Lyn

Skitty: Moonkat

Umbreon&Espeon: Sombra&Fortuna

Bellsprout: Trippin'bells (actually just tripinbell, damn the naming limitations)

Dragonair female: Mystika

Dragonair/Dragonite male: Enkidu

Pinsir: Babyeater

Milotic: Phoebe

Gengar: Ghospook

Gourgeist: Halloween

Malamar: Ursula/Ika Musume (the one I think of first XD)

Muk/Grimer: Pieceof

Exploud: R*A*V*E

Serperior: Satsuki

Blue Basculin: Junketsu

Red Basculin: Senketsu

Chatot: EVIL

And there are more, for every one of current 719, but ain't naming all of them :P

I usually name my Pokemon people names, but there are a few names I set aside for certain Pokemon.

The Seven Sins:
Venusaur - Sloth

Golbat - Greed

Ekans - Wrath

Nidoking - Pride

Tentacruel - Lust (If you know about hentai, you know why...)

Beedrill - Envy

Muk - Gluttony

These are a tribute to the time I did a Poison monotype of Leafgreen, which is one of my favorite playthroughs of a Pokemon game to date, and it's how I met one of my favorite Pokemon, Beedrill (I seem to have a thing for bug types)

Other names:

Squirtle - Lt. Squirt (Like Lt. Surge... but water type)

Cubone - Lukas/Luna, depending on gender (from one RP where I had a cubone)

Latias - Ruby (from one RP where I had a Latias)

Female Raichu/Shuppet - Richie (This one is homage to an old internet friend who very likely killed herself. Raichu and Shuppet were two of her favorite Pokemon.)

All of the names I use are based off of names of characters from a book. They're all a little unorthodox, but they have some pretty cool meanings.

Blaziken - Rysel / Gardevoir - Aeona / Garchomp - Orlahm / Weavile - Sysira / Absol - Zyxeir / Greninja - Corren / Lucario - Xixas / Noivern - Vasure( Or Vasyre if female) / Cofagrigus - Oourne / Pidgeot - Garick

And a bunch more.

Well, looking at most of my current party and Battle Box in X:

(japanese moon runes) - Rayquaza

An unnicknamed Volcarona

A yet-unnicknamed Absol

Remus - Mightyena

Selucia - Salamence

RAWRCHOMP - guess

Seraph - Volcarona

al'Thor - Metagross

Nameless Umbreon

Recon - Scizor

Hydrigaia - Hydreigon (couldn't think of anything)

Davion - Dragonite (Think DotA.)

Any horrible pun I can think of.....or References to stuff.

Like I always call my Feralgatrs Jabberjaws after an old cartoon Shark of the same name. ((I also call my Sharpedos that too, but I rarely use Sharpedo.))

Also, I always call pokemon that I think look weird for their Gender (like Female Machamp.....*shudders*) Dudelady or Ladydude.

I don't have a method to choosing nicknames, and most are kinda crappy, but here go some of them.

Swampert - Kyte (Can't remember why, but this was my first Swampert's name back in Sapphire.)

Venusaur - Green (originality at it's best...)

Absol - Senketsu (meaning fresh blood - Since I watched Kill la Kill I've been looking for a poké for this name. XD)

Ludicolo - Taco

Noivern - Vahgar (GoT reference. Looking for Meraxes and Balerion.)

Toxicroak - Corey

Mamoswine - Manny (Ice Age anyone?)

Empoleon - Guardian

aand, the very last member to join the team:

Gardevoir - Ruka

( Because... well.)