Pokken Fighting Tournament Discussion

Godot

Who remembers this Thread? Apparently Pokken is confirmed with the first playable characters being Lucario and Machamp. The game also looks smooth as all holy hell and might not hit american shelves until late 2015 or 2016.

Here is the trailer:

Pokken is a fighting game collaboration of Pokemon and Tekken, two things I absolutely love. The game is stated to release in Japaness arcades next year. It also looks like that it is still deep in development.

Dated Info below

Ok! There is this crazy Rumor going around about a new fighting game called Pokken! It is supposedly a crossover of Pokemon and Bandai-Namco's super awesome fighting game, Tekken.

Last year at this Pokemon event Gamefreak hosted in Japan. Nintendo had shown us some super awesome pokemon X and Y footage. After the video had ended... we got this...

DZ75JdS.jpg

We have yet to see any confirmation as to what this is... However... we CAN take a guess.

First off this is not a "pokemon Stadium" for Wii U, I remember reading an interview somewhere where GF stated that they have no intention of making a wii U "Stadium Game" because the 3DS is powerful enough to do the job as is. So what is this? Looking at this image, I couldn't help but wonder, is this a fighting game? What kind of fighting game? Lets go into details...

1. Lucario is not in his default battle stance and neither is Blaziken. Their default stances looks more like this...

257.png448.png

This Screenshot shows off new character models, and these models look like they are in Wii U quality HD

2. There is a huge walking plane around the characters, so it looks like they have the ability to free roam or side step to their liking. I believe this will be a traditional 3D fighter ie. Tekken or Dead or Alive due to the green barrier behind Blaziken. That barrier looks like it is designed to keep fighters in the battlefield.

3. About a month later, the Pokemon Company registered the names, Pokken Fighters and Pokken Tournament. Pokken appears to be a mix between the words Pokemon and either Tekken or Ken. Pokemon is well... Pokemon. Ken or Tekken are japanese words that translate to Fist or Iron Fist. Now look at this.

PXWoMCs.png

This banner is on the top right corner of the screen. There is the Fighting Energy Symbol right above a pokeball. The Fighting Energy Symbol is a Fist. There is also Olive Branches on the side of the Logo. The Olive Branches symbolize Competition ie. The Olympics. You tend to see Emblems such as these on "world champion" belts and Medals found in boxing, wrestling, or MMA... sooo ya... pretty sure this solidifies that this picture is of Pokken and confirms it as a Fighting game.

Last rumor I want to toss out is that this game is rumored to be running on Namco's Tekken Engine... I love Pokemon, and I love Tekken...

What is your guy's opinion on this?

Discuss!

• Upvote 2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just wait for E3 and see if that sheds any light on this subject. I remember this clip vaguely and I definitely want to see more information on it.

I only hope it has more than just fighting types in it.

It's heavily rumored that there will be a spot on the Nintendo floor for Pokken Fighters at E3. The game isn't generating too much hype, but it could be a dark horse game that really sticks out well on the Wii U. Those graphics in that image are quite good.

Tekken's game engine, eh?. That's really not bad at all. There was a fan made Poke-fighter that was getting some good reputation on youtube for a while. It had characters such as Gengar, Snorlax, and Gardevoir in it. Those characters are all bi-pedal (and if we have to try and make sense of what sort of "playable" Pokemon we could find in Pokken Fighters, most of the characters would have to be to an extent bi-pedal.) and all had unique move-sets.

My biggest questions are these, are we going to be able to unlock Namco's characters from Tekken (I'm not sure if this is a collaboration between the Pokemon company and Namco) such as Law, King, Nina, Gunjack, etc?

..and does "type" matter? This question in particular is pressing because I would probably hate 2-player splitscreen play if my opponent is going to wait for me to pick a character, only to pick a character that counters it type-wise. It -would- make sense to implement weaknesses and resistances to a Pokemon game though. I just hope it's not to a gamebreaking extent that essentially dooms one player before the fight even starts!

Edited by W1ng3d_One

I would hate having type advantages in the game. And the only way we will see Tekken characters being involved is the characters is that they train or own the Pokemon. Or costumes. Machoke needs a King mask!

Lucario is a perfect Pokemon for Jin Kazama and Blaziken is perfect for Hwoarang

Characters in fighting games "mega evolve" all the time.

In Tekken tag 2 Kazuya would transform mid match to Devil.

I can also see megas bein special or super moves only.

My all time favorite fighting game character, King, had like a million unique combination grabs that were very cutscene esque

• 3 months later...

This game just got CONFIRMED!

Though no word on Blaziken, the first announced Fighters are Lucario and Machamp!

Lucario had a lot of combo-y Rush Down attacks, and Machamp had a lot of big rapid hit punches and Ramming tackles. Lucario reminded me a bit of Tekken's Mishima family, and Machamp was reminiscent of Marduk. This game looks hella well animated!

As a huge fan of both Tekken and Pokemon, this has me pretty jazzed about the whole thing. The game looks like it is special move based rather than combo based that Tekken is known for, so this game might look like tekken, but it will play different from it. For example:

A. I saw characters using Dive Kicks and Instant Overheads. That is nontraditional of 3D fighters such as Tekken, and is more Traditional of 2D fighters such as Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

B. I never saw either character move left or right, only backwards and forwards. So even though this is a collaboration of Tekken and Pokemon, this game appears to be a 2D fighter period.

C. Machamp is seen performing a block animation, which is also nontraditional of Tekken. Tekken always used the "press and hold back to block" Mechanic, while it appears that Block is located to a button, simular to Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat. I am not really a fan of that, but w/e.

Lucario reminded me a lot of the Mishima family.

Gt4WXLU.png

From Left to right, Heichachi, Kazuya, and Jin Kazama (he takes his mother's surname)

They Fight with various forms of Karate.

He had tons of combo-y moves, a Dive kick, a guard break, and some cool looking instant overheads. In the trailer there were a ton of attacks that Lucario was doing that were putting Machamp in a stunned state. At higher levels, I would imagine Lucario chaining 2-3 of these Combo Strings together in a single Combo.

As for Machamp, he reminds me of this guy...

EVXdsW8.png

Craig Marduk, He is based off of UFC style Cage Fighting.

Machamp is WAY bigger than Lucario is, as seen in the trailer. Some of the more unique moves that caught my eye;

1. Machamp had many Rapid Punch Combos, which is cool.

2. He had a double Hook attack that caused Lucario's body to spin wildly, simular to the Blaze Blue or Persona fighting games.

3. He had a spinning Hammer aerial that looked pretty sick and over head hitting.

4. Machamp had three attacks that seemed to have "launching" properties, a combo into an Uppercut, a straight up Uppercut, and a shoulder tackle.

5. Though the attack misses, there is a split second where Machamp runs in and performs a grab animation, we did not see a single "throw" attack in the entire trailer.

The trailer ends with Lucario Mega Evolving.

A bit disappointed to be honest. I was hoping for a Pokémon Stadium type game. If I want to play fighting games...I'll play fighting games.

Pretty sure Nintendo said said that they have no intention of ever doing a stadium style game any time soon since the 3DS does that job for them

I'm actually somewhat excited for this if it gets a Western release. I'd like to see more than just fighting types, but it could still be good either way. (If Pikachu doesn't have some appearance though... you know it's not Pokemon. Even if he's only on the menu screen or in the background of a stage or something.)

Also, on the topic of stages, do you think we'll see recognizable places from the Pokemon games? ( The Daycare, the Lumios City Tower, etc.) I would assume so, but I can't really tell from the trailer. Are they battling in Lumios City? It somewhat resembles it...

Pretty sure Nintendo said said that they have no intention of ever doing a stadium style game any time soon since the 3DS does that job for them

I miss my battle revolution. =(

I would like to see a Pokemon that I wouldn't be able to put a face on.

In example:

Lucario: Jin/Kazuya (Tekken)

Machamp: Marduk/Zangief (Tekken/Street Fighter)

Blaziken: Hworang/Baek (Tekken)

Also The main brain behind Tekken, Haruda held a Q and A where he confirmed a few things.

High-Low mix ups are not in the game. Pokken will be using a new mechanic.

Tekken characters will not be playable in the game. Haruda also made a comment about the Tekken franchise that hints that this is more of a Pokemon game than a Tekken game. And that Namco is trying to please Pokemon fans more than Tekken Fans.

The team behind Soul Calibur are working on this as well.

Namco is currently running a character poll on twitter saying "what Pokemon would you like to see being playable?" This gives me the idea that the game is so early in development that the roster isn't even final at this given moment. So almost anything regarding "what Pokemon will be in the game?" Seems to be out in the open. Though I believe that most of the Pokemon will be fully evolved. (Except Pikachu). I also don't want to see anymore fighting types in this game. I expect the final roster to fill out around 20-24.

• 1 month later...

@Plasmastorm The general rule is to avoid double-posting and, if no one posted after the first comment, just edit your second one in

Back on topic...

1) Does Machamp playable, while the other 2 "confirmed" ones can Mega-Evolve, confirm Mega Machamp

2) Medicham, Gallade, "Mewtwo", & Lopunny, how likely are they to get in since they have Mega-Evo's, are bi-pedal, and Atleast have Fighting type in Mega. (M. Mewtwo X)

1. Considering that this isn't a Game Freak title, I wouldn't be too keen on new Megas being released in Pokken first.

2. I think Fighting type Pokemon are going to be the easiest pokemon to work with in this game. The whole point is for most of the combat to be up close and personal. So I would say Medicham, Gallade, and possibly Mewtwo X are likely suspects, but Lopunny wouldn't be out of the question.

No, Tekken characters won't be making an appearance. And Blaziken is also another confirmed character to arrive in the game.

I would like to play this game outside of Wii-U. It would work well at Evo.

You literally posted these two one minute apart. There no reason you couldn't have edited your older post. Please don't double post in the future.

Also, brb. Gonna go make a billion twitter accounts and spam the Heracross button.

Regarding the Tekken character thing, like I said, we will get pokemon who fight like past Tekken characters. Then again, there is a Tekken character for every martial art.

hitmonchan could be like steve fox
Hitmonlee
hitmontop
sawk
throu

brelum

hariyama

many of the fighting pokemon could represent a fighting style of a tekken characters,

Zoark could act as the mokojin, ditto could act as random character select, Wobbefet could be a training dummy...

kangaskan could be the kangaroo,

I don't want any pokemon that are on all four/or more legs, nor birds, or other items that don't have arms unless using their powers to create arms

Edit: I think the mega evolutions could be boss characters, mega mewtwo (fighting) could be the final villain

Edited by derekwst3
  • Upvote 1