Pokken Fighting Tournament Discussion

Godot

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a safe bet that Gallade will be in this, but will Gardevoir? If Gallade makes it in and Gardevior doesn't, there might be some angry feminists...

Oh who am I kidding, feminists don't video games enough to know the story behind Gallade's existence.

Also, I'd be just a bit dissapointed if they didn't think of a way to make the Swords of Justice work in this despite not being bipedal. Megas aside, they're the only fighting type legendaries.

• 1 month later...

Suppose it's not really considering necroing if it's a sticky. With ORAS's megas all revealed, I think it's a safe bet that Lopunny at the very least will make it in, and gallade's appearance is a shoe-in, too.

True. If we take the megas available into consideration, I could see the following pokemon participating:

1) Kangaskhan

2) Mewtwo (as final boss)

3) Scizor

4) Heracross (otherwise Sheep doesn't buy it)

5) Blaziken (confirmed)

6) Aggron (similar to Jack)

7) Medicham (almost confirmed)

8) Lucario (confirmed)

9) Abomasnow (why not?)

10) Swampert (what about that new mega?)

11) Lopunny (almost confirmed)

12) Gallade (please please please)

But 12 characters are not nearly enough. So I nominate:

Ursaring, Regigigas, Infernape, Emboar, Machamp (confirmed), Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Pangoro, Poliwrath, Toxicroak, Chestnaught,

Greninja, Hawlucha, Nidoking, Drapion, Electivire, Eelektross, Sandslash, Krookodile, Golurk, Armaldo, Barbaracle, Rhydon,

Bearctic, Weavile, Genesect, Druddigon, Zoroark, Bisharp.

oh another thing that just came to mind.....

1.which pokes will we see in the loading screens

2.or in the training section as a dummy if that will be there.

3.might there be a shop of some sorts

write your guesses below

I think:

1. first in evolution-line pokes of the fighters + pikachu if raichu will be a candidate (sad pichu)

2. wobbuffet, snorlax, machamp, a substitute

3. depends if you can upgrade/buy pokes/moves

Mega Blaziken's already got a very Tae Kwon Do like stance, so I figure he's gonna play the Hwo to Lucario's... Jin Kazama I guess? Honestly he reminds me more of Hotaru Futaba from the last Fatal Fury game fighting style wise but I guess we'll see.

Non bipedal is gonna be weird to play as, especially when there are grab moves from other Pokemon. Alot of thought is gonna need to be put into the non bipedels if they're added but honestly i don't think they are.

PS. Mega Swampert/Swampert isn't likely unless he played a role like a wrestler would. Low to the ground and focus on grapples. This would take up Heracross' spot which i think they'd rather have. RIP Swampert.

Edited by Rielly987

Alright I'll try to put pokemon in the Tekken character's positions: (tekken5)

Ursaring/Bearctic = Kuma/Panda

Swampert = Craig Marduk

Lucario = Jin Kazama

Blaziken = Baek

Gallade = Yoshimitsu

Bisharp = Raven

Abomasnow = Heihatchi (come on, this one should be obvious)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I'll try to put pokemon in the Tekken character's positions: (tekken5)

Ursaring/Bearctic = Kuma/Panda

Swampert = Craig Marduk

Lucario = Jin Kazama

Blaziken = Baek

Gallade = Yoshimitsu

Bisharp = Raven

Abomasnow = Heihatchi (come on, this one should be obvious)

Machamp plays like Marduk... And I can see Farfetch'd and Greninja portraying Yoshi and Raven better.

I saw someone suggest Marrowak playing like Rolento from the street fighter series.

I can also see some of the moves that devil, true ogre, and lizardman does translate into Charizard or something like that.

Also a lot of the attacks Asuka, Jun, and Lili perform are based off of the motions birds make. Feng and Xaioyu also have a lot of bird like motions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just in: Pikachu, Gardevoir, and SUICUNE are playable! Whaddya know, that's all 3 of my predictions at once. Well actually, Suicune wasn't exactly the quadruped I predicted.

Also, there are "support pokemon" you can use to help you out in some way. Not sure how that works, but anyway the confirmed support Pokemon so far are Fennekin, Emolga, Snivy, and... Lapras? Lapras kinda seems a bit big for the role considering the sizes of the other three...

The game uses a D-pad rather than a joystick, they probably did that for its inevitable Wii U release.

And if you live in Japan, you'll have a chance to play it early on the weekend of January 30th-Febuary 1st.

• Upvote 1

I fell asleep just before the livestream started :( looking for gameplay nao... here is some pics...

pokken1151.jpg

pokken1152.jpg

pokken1154.jpg

Pikachu confirmed to be Ryu. XD

Z00EibU.png

Looking at some poorly recorded gameplay footage,

Lucario seems Ryu-Esque

Machamp seem Haggar/Zangief esque

Pikachu and Gardevoir have tons of projectile shenanigans.

Lastly Suicune seems to have some Sub-Zero esque traits going on with him, freezing people constantly with Ice Beam and Aurora Beam.

Lucario's Super is Aura Sphere/Focus Blast

Machamp's Super is Stone Edge

Pikachu's Super is Volt Tackle

Gardeviour's Super is Shadow Ball.

and lastly Suicune uses Sheer Cold.

it appears that the control scheme is X and Y are the Light and Heavy attack buttons, B is jump, A is a "Pokemon Attack", L is Support/Assist, and R is Guard.

Pokemon Attack sounds like the B button in smash bros where it would activate a special move. So no Fireball, Quarter Circle, or dragon punch motions seem to be required to play this game.

You press an attack Button and a Direction to attack, simular to Soul Calibur or Smash Bros. the game also takes place on a 3D plane. I would classify this game as a 3D Brawler. Think Smash Bros on a 3D plane. Eveb though the game is made by the same people that made the Naruto and Dragonball Z fighting games, I actually get a lot of Final Fantasy Dissidia Vibes off of this game. On the Battlefield there were red Orbs that seemed to fill a pokemon's "rage" meter.

Assists or Supports seem to feel like Assists in Capcom Vs. Games. The footage highlighted 4 Assists and teased a fifth one. You can Equip two different assists, but only use one per round.

The First Assist is Fenniken and It releases a Fire Sphere attack thing that I cannot name. If I was playing this game, I would use Fennekin when I am fighting against a very aggressive in your face character while playing as a long range character. Ie. Machamp vs. Gardevoir. Fenniken seems good as a "get off of me" assist.

The Second Assist is Snivy and it uses Leaf Storm. I don't see any special function for this pokemon with the exception that it seems good for mid Range. The leaf storm also seems to lock people down for quite a bit of time.

The third Assist is Lapras and it uses Surf. Lapras seems good for a variety of characters. It's surf attack covers a lot of the screen and can be used to distract the opponent to close in or run away.

The Fourth Assist is Emolga, and it uses some type of shock attack? It didn't seem as up in your face and obvious what Emolga's Funtion as an assist was, but it was Shocking and Paralyzing the opponent. This assist also seems good for midrange and I would personally use Emolga/Lapras from what I have seen. Emolga seems to stop and interrupt opponent's attacks.

The Fifth and final Assist was only Teased being Eevee, we didn't see it in gameplay, but there was character art for it on the "Thank You for Playing" screen, and it was placed next to other assist pokemon.

Edit: Serebi labeled the attacks to be Ember, Leaf Tornado, Surf, and Shock Wave. They also pointed out that Emolga and Snivy have faster "charge rates" than Lapras and Fenniken did.

We now know of 5/6 playable characters, Pikachu, Lucario, Machamp, Gardevior, Suicune, and Blazekin when?

Pikachu seems like a beginner friendly character that fits anywhere on the battlefield, Long, short, and mid range. At close range it does a ton of tackle and swipe attacks. and at a range it can deploy several lighting attacks such as a Shock Wave across the ground or call down a thunderbolt.

We also saw Pikachu perform 2 different Super attacks, one being Volt Tackle and another that is activated through a "rage mode."

In this Rage mode a Pokemon will either become super charged with their natural element or Mega Evolve. Pikachu was surging with Electricity during his rage mode, and we got to see Pikachu's Ultimate where he bashed a Gardevior Multiple times and finished her with a Body Piercing Volt Tackle. Making me think of Chun Li's Ultimate in the Vs. Titles.

Edit: Pikachu plays a lot of fan services to the main characters of the tekken series. He performs Jin Kazama's Demon Wind God Fist, but instead people are calling it the Electric Wind God Fist. Pikachu also has two win poses. One that is based off of Ryu from Street Fighter, and the other is based on Heihachi from Tekken.

Machamp was unique in the set because he doesn't have projectiles or a "running" animation, he also seemed a bit slow. As expected Machamp is a powerhouse Grappler, though he lacks projectiles, he has the ability to close gaps between him and his opponent by performing combat rolls like how Abel does in the Street Fighter Series. At Close Range Machamp can perform a Barrage of Flurry Punches, Zangief/Haggar style Lariats, or King style Grapples and Throw attacks.... I just said that he embodies Abel and King... This guy maybe my potential main out of this bunch of characters...

Machamp also has the ability to use Bulk Up, though it wasn't specified as to what it buffs, it is obvious that it buffs something. If I had to guess, it seems to grant Machamp additional Power and Armor.

Machamp's Super was Stone Edge, where he slammed his fists on the ground and Rock Spires appeared below the Opponent launching them into the air.

Suicune kinda reminds me of Subzero in a way, because it uses a ton of Freezing attacks, as well as some bubbly looking attacks. Suicune also seems to be happiest when fighting from a distance. When confronted from up close, Suicune would kick with it's hind legs or use the white ribbon things that are attached to it's back to attack and launch it's opponents away from it. Suicune attacked with Aurabeams, Ice Beams, and Big Ass Bubbles. It also had the ability to launch these attacks at different angles.

It's Super appears to be Sheer Cold, where it summons a Wave of Ice across the Ground where it freezes the fuck out of the opponent. There is footage of Suicune Activating it's Rage mode... but the player that was using Suicune was mindless Button Masher, so I couldn't tell what was going on or what Suicune was capable of...

(everyone playing the game really sucked...)

Next up is Gardevior, and She seems simular to Suicune where she seems reliant on projectiles and her Close Quarter Combat game seems to be based more "get off of me" moves than combo attacks. A lot of what Gardevior did reminded me of Palutena or Zelda in the Smash Bros Series. She kept her distance spamming several Psychic, Shadow, and Fairy based projectile energy at the opponent. Some of Gardevior's projectiles appeared to have Homing Properties.

Her Super was Shadow Ball, which is exactly what you would expect it to be, a giant dark ball of death and pain. Gardevior also Mega Evolves when she goes into her rage mode. We also got to see her Ultimate where she shot a ball of darkness at the opponent and trapped Machamp in another realm. She then shot several piercing anime style blade like projectiles into his body... and he survived XD

Her Ultimate reminded me of Megaman's Final Smash in Smash Bros and Dormamu's Level 3 in the Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

Last but not least is Lucario. Even though we didn't get to see Blazekin we did get to see more Lucario footage and he looks fun. He seems to be happier when he is Mid or Close Range. At a distance he can shoot Aura Spheres in a "HADOUKEN" style like Ryu in the Street Fighter series. Lucario also can summon a bo staff made of aura and beat his opponents down with it. Serebii called it a bone club. Lucario also has several stylish close quarter combat attacks. He is my second favorite out of the 5/6 we saw.

Lucario's Super was a giant Aura Sphere or Focus Blast attack. And for his rage mode, he turns into Mega Lucario.

The last thing I noticed was that Trainers seem to have some sort of function. The game devs didn't specify if it did have a function or not, but we do see the trainer's portrait where a character's art is placed in gameplay... look...

jSARFBe.png

The best trailer footage I can find:

So I guess the fact that we have a "rage mode" for all Pokemon that becomes a Mega form for those who have it, means that Mega Machamp or Mega Legendary Beasts will never happen...

Also, Gardevoir's gonna wreck Machamp, just like she does in the actual games.

So I guess the fact that we have a "rage mode" for all Pokemon that becomes a Mega form for those who have it, means that Mega Machamp or Mega Legendary Beasts will never happen...

Also, Gardevoir's gonna wreck Machamp, just like she does in the actual games.

1. Don't say that... I need Mega Machamp in my life...

2. Gardevoi-- PFFFT FITE ME SCRUB I WILL WRECK HER FAIC!

Pikachu Mishima confirmed...I mean he has EWGF.

Also, looking at the size of the select screen, there is possibly enough space for 20 characters + random. Though I wonder if they could fit in scrolling on the select screen. That being said, there are 6 generations of pokemon and over 700 to choose from. We already know 6 characters being Lucario, Gardevoir, Machamp, Suicune, Pikachu, and Blaziken. 5 out of those 6 are fan favorites, 1 of those is quadrupedal, 3 lacking mega evolutions, and one not officially shown in game play footage. So that begs the question; who the fuck can be in this game? Because Harada has history of being random as fuck, we can expect to see the craziest additions to the game. And if smash 4 amiibos are compatible with this game IF it gets a console release, and it most likely will, we can definitely expect Charizard, Greninja, and Mewtwo.

Another minor detail that I like are trainer characters as sort of the player avatars. Considering Namco/Bandai's history of customization, we can expect multiple trainer avatars being unlockable. And because I say so, Heihachi has a slight possibility of being in the game as a trainer, stage cameo or, because it's motherfucking Heihachi, a playable character (unlikely but I CAN DREAM.)

Edit: I also love some of the videos I've seen with the stream chat flying across the screen ie. CHROM CONFIRMED

Edit 2: Wait...

Her Ultimate reminded me of Megaman's Final Smash in Smash Bros and Dormamu's Level 3 in the Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

DID SOMEBODY JUST SAY DORMMAMU?!...Damn gonna play as Gardevoir

Edited by The Radiant Aeon