Bookworm Corner - Your favorite books

Notus

Calling all of Reborn's book lovers! List your favorite books here and tell everibody why are they so amazing. Maybe you can find something worth reading too!

Here go some of mine:

Ink Heart trilogy - Fantasy:

Very well written and with a plot everyone already thought about - what if you could go into your favorite tales? The story as a whole keeps getting deeper as the series goes on, and the characters are very well built. Definitely worth a look, in my opinion.

Ender's Game / Speaker for the Dead - Science Fiction:

Amazing plot, just to put it simple, not to mention that the whole theme of understanding and accepting new races and cultures is always actual. The characters are extremely real and the story is one of these that makes you stay up 'till late thinking. Overall one of the best books I ever read.

Apart from that, there are some amazing books such as the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones), but since they're very well known already I think it wouldn't add much listing it here.

So, what you guys like reading?

Edited by Notus

LoTR, pretty obvious, but Gimli alone makes those for me lol.

Eragon/Inheritence Saga. A very rich world, the dynamic between Dragon Riders and their dragons are very interesting, including those of the evil riders. The Elves while similar to elves in other works, fell different in this one to me, not sure why. Dwarves are pretty standard. The Urgals and evil races are not your standred though. Shades in particular are pretty interesting. The lore is also well rounded, and is almost on par with LoTR imo.

Silmarillion. For LoTR lore nerds, not recommended to anyone who isn't a die hard fan/ really into lore /bg stuff. It is all the left over works that J.R.R never finished but his son put together and published. It is very disjointed and hops around a lot, so it is not an easy read and can be pretty dry.

Will post others as I think of them.

Imma have to come back and add more later when I have the time but for now...

I second the Wheel of Time series. Honestly, this series beats the pants off the LotR.

6ca.png

Off the WoT fansite, Dragonmout.

With 14 books to the series, you know there's A LOT more to this world than a mere short summary could ever really say.

When it says the world, it really does mean the entire world it is set in.

I remember reading books by T. A. Barron as a kid and really enjoying them. I just don't remember a lot about them anymore. First is the Lost Years of Merlin series, which I remember more of, which follows Merlin as a boy, discovering his magical heritage and the land of his birth, Fincayra. The other book was Heartlight, but I really don't remember anything other than an association with light, butterflies, and traveling to another planet. I didn't find a summary but found a book preview instead. Which I will be reading and probably getting for my nook to read on the plane.

• Administrators

Emilie Autumn- The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

Lewis Carroll- Alice Through the Looking Glass

Kate Chopin- The Awakening

J. M. Barrie- Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens

I second the Wheel of Time series. Honestly, this series beats the pants off the LotR.

6ca.png

Off the WoT fansite, Dragonmout.

With 14 books to the series, you know there's A LOT more to this world than a mere short summary could ever really say.

When it says the world, it really does mean the entire world it is set in.

I might have to take a look at this one. I haven't read a good series in quite awhile.

I'll add more later, since I can't ever remember what books I actually like and I mostly read nonfiction.

Artemis Fowl: It sounds like it won't be if you read the blurb, but it's actually one of my favorite series

Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries: I just read it and I would recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in astronomy and astrophysics. It talks about nearly ever subject, and compares it to the social understanding of topics.

Some stuff from Harry Turtledove:

Darkness series- "A fantasy series about global war in a world related to medieval Europe, where magic exists. Many plot elements are analogous to elements of World War II, with kingdoms and sorceries that are comparable to the historical nations and technologies." Basically, magical alternate world WWII. Instead of fighter/bomber planes there are dragons. Instead of tanks, there are rhino-like behemoths. Instead of submarines, there are leviathans (sleek, intelligent cousins to whales). And instead of bullets, it's directed magical energy. Instead of the atomic bomb there's plot spoilers. And you get to follow characters from all nations and stations of life from all sides of the war. It's just really awesome.

Artemis Fowl is a series that a friend introduced to me via audio books cuz of road trip. Good stuff, I enjoyed it.

I'm another advocate of Artemis Fowl, I love a bit of Eoin Colfer.

A series that I've really enjoyed since being a kid has been the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. Humorous dark modern fantasy series, the first one being my favourite.

MY three favorite series are:

1) A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin (Game of Thrones if you prefer)

2) Dragonlance by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

3) Black Library (many authors here)

Like you can see i prefer the fantasy genre ^_^

Kate Chopin- The Awakening

This novel is great. Had to read it for English class back in high school and no book has changed my perspectives more than this one.

Back when I actually did read (which was a while ago) I was a Gordon Korman fan. Some of his books are classics (short as they are).

I back up entirely Artemis Fowl, Eragon and of course LoTR, amazing books all of them. Never heard about Wheel of Time, but based on what you guys said it's on top of my "to do" list ^_^.

@ Hukuna, I just finished reading "The Fall of Arthur" by Tolkien,which is in the collection of incomplete works you mentioned. It's actually a poem, and the most interesting is how Tolkien's son describes how his father was planning to fit the Arthurin legend in the rest of his works by the end of the story.

Another great book by Eoin Colfer is "The Wish List", in which a dead girl comes back to our world as a ghost to help the last person she hurt to fulfill his wishes, in order t go to heaven herself. It's more a comedy than anything, but it made laugh hard!

Edited by Notus

I was supposed to read Gulliver's travels a couple semesters ago, but seeing as this was for a Gen Ed, I did what any other student would do and just read sparknotes. At face value it seemed pretty boring, but I'm reading some more small excerpts and small quotes and really find myself agreeing with them quite a bit.

I don't always read books, but when I do, they're about philosophy and corruption. Yes, I actually liked Catcher in the Rye...

I didn't used to know a thing about Gulliver's travels except the iconic image of the people trying to tie him down when he appeared as a giant to them.

And then I watched part of the 1996 movie with Ted Danson. His recollections were like a series of parables that all had something to say about humanity, all the way up until the end when the miniature sheep proved his sanity. Thank you for reminding me that I need to read that book. Or least go back and watch the whole movie.

The Twilight Saga.

I shall leave it to you guys to decide if I am serious or not.

Those books were actually pretty good, it's the movies that are painfully bad(mainly because of kirsten stewart's acting).

Anyway...Favorite book for a while now is Stephen King's the Long Walk:

it's about a near-future nationally-televised popular competition where 100 teen boys will go out to a road and....walk. They walk and they walk. There are armed men on a half-track that follow them on the sides. The road is of unknown length, a straight shot for hundreds of miles. The boys are provided with food and water as they need it. When somebody slows down below 4 miles an hour, they get a warning. If they do it again or they persist, they get another warning. A third offense.....gets them a ticket, and the armed men will shoot them to death. Whoever is the last one walking can have any one thing that they want in the world. Some want fame, some want riches. Some just want to be loved. Everybody knows going in that there will only be one person left at the end...but that doesn't stop them from getting along. it's a book from the late 1970s and it's all about people...it's spectacular.

I would recommend Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas series, although it is quite sad. If you don't know of it, it's about a fry cook that sees dead people, and basically moonlights as a paranormal detective. Very unpredictable and interesting, great drama and action as well. There's a movie of the first book out now too.

The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning is pretty good fantasy in my opinion. Takes place in present day under the pretense of otherworldly, fantastical immortal creatures, those of the light and the darkness(though not necessarily as black and white as good or evil) living among the humans, hiding and disguising while all, along with some humans as well, are looking for a mythical book that can

help them achieve their goals, no matter how nefarious. Enter an early-twenties preppy girl trying to find out the truth behind her sister's strange and sudden death while going to school in Ireland, who undergoes drastic changes as she learns about the world. Full of mystery and illusion, generally strange and abstract, very, very adult in style and content, it's 5 books (and a spin off series by the same author that has a 2nd book coming out soon) well worth reading. The plot twists are to die for.

I'm currently working through Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (i've read almost all of his books now) and i'm currently about halfway through the 3rd one but i like it a lot. Very deep and meaningful, very fantastical with similar style at times to LotR but a bit more horrific and mysterious in my opinion. It's about a gunslinger in a barren world nearly devoid of life, a world that seems to be tearing at the seams, and his quest to reach The Dark Tower, which is supposedly in the exact center of the world, and he gains unlikely companions on his travels, and you slowly get to learn about his world and his past and who he really is and what he has done. It's very unique and full of wonderful quotes, with many of its own concepts and ideals rehashed as the series progresses. It has 8 books but each one is longer than the last, with a total page count of over 4,200(harry potter series has around 3400 for reference) and appears to be over. Very long, lots of content, which is wonderful to me. As far as i am, i greatly hope for a movie series sometime soon because it's a fantastic read and would be a great watch too. Recommended only to those with a penchant for deep thought and strange happenings, things that would never happen to any other main character in any other book or series. You'll know what i mean if you read it.

All descriptions and whatnot are my own, from memory.

I can put more up here but i think these are good for now. Believe it or not i am quite an avid reader :D

Edited by chuckles