Ways to easily beat Solaris's Garchomp

Shadow Walker

So I managed to figure out two ways to easily beat Solaris's Garchomp (I've never tried it out yet though as I would have to replay the game up till that point)

Option 1) Requirements: a pokemon that knows endeavor and a focus band (can be bought at the dept. store on the third floor).

(the fastest to get one as of update 10.5 would be Swirlix or Slurpuff at lvl 21)

Basically you get a pokemon that knows endeavor and give it the focus band. It will survive the OHKO and bring garchomp hp to 1, I believe Solaris would heal him up so keep using endeavor until he runs out of potions and finishes off your pokemon. Now Garchomp will have 1 hp and you can easily finish him off with the rest of your team (try a first hit move like quick attack).

Option 2) Requirements: a pokemon that knows destiny bond and either a quick claw or focus band (can be bought at the dept. store on the third floor).

(the fastest way to get one as of update 10.5 would be teaching it to Vespiquen at lv 21 with a heart scale)

Get a pokemon that knows destiny bond and give it either quick claw (so it moves before Garchomp) or focus band ( so it survives the first hit) and use destiny bond. Garchomp will then knock it out and himself as well and if you want the exp send out the pokemon you want to gain the exp first then switch to another pokemon to get knocked out and finally swicth to the pokemon with destiny bond.

Edited by Shadow Walker

I think option 1 is not gonna doing well. That Garchomp's ability is Rough Skin. If your pokemon use Endeavor with 1 HP, that pokemon gonna die due to Rough Skin damage and Solaris will use Full Restore.

+Can U get Focus Sash in this game?

Edited by ghkdkd

This tactics would be perfect... if there was a focus sash in this game (There is, but in the higher floors of the dept. store where we have no access as of 10.5)

You can put a Focus band in place of the focus sash with the Koffing thing, although the focus band doesn't always activate (But at least you can get a Focus Band ^^...)

Honestly, you can win by giving 5 pokemons "brightpowder", the other a Focus Band (To avoid dying in one hit) and having something like Minimize or Mud Bomb (Abusing the fact that both of this moves are bugged in 10.5 and give twice the status increase/decrease...)

If there is a Focus sash available somewhere else than the dept. store, i don't know, so don't judge me ^^

This tactics would be perfect... if there was a focus sash in this game (There is, but in the higher floors of the dept. store where we have no access as of 10.5)

Sorry, I meant focus band not sash (my mistake)

I think option 1 is not gonna doing well. That Garchomp's ability is Rough Skin. If your pokemon use Endeavor with 1 HP, that pokemon gonna die due to Rough Skin damage and Solaris will use Full Restore.

In that case you can either have multiple Slurpuffs with endeavor or revive and heal it.

Prankster Banette with focus brand to curse and burn. Maybe not easy since you are gonna lose some pokes, but I just find it pleasant to see it die in agony.

Normal Banette ability can't be Prankstar. Banette possibly get ability Prankstar only through mega evolution

I know there are a bunch of ways to defeat Garchomp but those require your team (which you may not have) to have a or a combination of pokemon with high evasiveness, curse, toxic and playing around with Garchomp while trying to survive which I wouldn't exactly consider 'easy'. The pokemon required for this are also easier to obtain and train.

Edited by Shadow Walker

Best way is still abusing sturdy imo. Use a Roggenrola with brightpowder, keep using mud slap and healing when you get hit until Garchomp is at -6 accuracy. Then the rest of your team should be able to handle it.

wish there was a pokemon who could learn destiny bond, hold a focus band, and have the ability aftermath. I think the only pokemon that could work with this would be driffloon/ driffblimp, they could have aftermath, they could hold items, and through breeding with a available pokemon koffing, it could learn destiny bond (level 40). is it cheap? maybe but it takes time to level a koffing up so it would work

there's also the Shuckle theory.

If you have episode 10, go back to the training grounds where Kiki gave her lecture and find a shuckle.

This thing learns Power split. Couple that with it's insanely weak offense skills, it will literally cut Garchomp's attack by half. Follow it up with cofagrigus or dusclops will-o-wisp, and finish it with curse. You could just then use an ice type pokemon or fairy to finish it off, but I just used kricketune and perish songed it because by that time it couldnt hit me for shit xD

Note: I used power split on shuckle twice e.e

EDIT: Also, I got bored of status affecting garchomp and didn't want to waste energy so after doing all dat shet I switched into azumarill and charmed it xD

Edited by Lynxiechan

how does it change the story if you beat the garchomp? specifics please it thats allowed

As the quote here says, besides gaining some decent experience... Is there any plot change? Like what would be Solaris' (XD Locket of the Iron Solari from LoL) new comment towards you?

Edited by Bowser

how does it change the story if you beat the garchomp? specifics please it thats allowed

According to Ame, at first she didn't expect anyone to actually beat it and you're suppose to lose that battle. But since people started beating it she said she might change the dialogue and perhaps some story elements in a later patch. But as of now there should be no difference in dialogues and the story will be stay the same whether you win or lose aside from exp and money you gain from winning the battle.

Edited by Shadow Walker

The story goes same. Just dialogues change little after battle. Gastly event dialogues also change littlebit.

Edited by ghkdkd

Personally, i just used granbull with charm. Send him in, cut garchomp's attack a bit, swap him out. After the 2nd intimidate, spam charm til you die. Then he can't hit for shit. If you still have trouble with him, get cottonee with trickster and stun spore. After i did all that, i spammed bulk up with blaziken til i could 1-shot the bitch

May I ask; do you have to beat Solaris in the battle you guys are referring to? You can still advance in the story if you lose?

You can. The dialogue when he loses change though (It's not something all that awesome, but it's cool...) Also, another certain event changes a bit, but it's nothing that prevents you from continuing through the game...

• 8 months later...

Catch a Duskull/Dusclops. (Duskull is best for levitate).

Give it quick claw or focus band (though they aren't even needed).

As Duskull has levitate he can only use moves that have a miss chance.

Use Curse till you get it off.

Profit!

(That's how I did it)

• Like 1

Pidgeot with Feather Dance + Cofagrigus with Curse did the job nicely.

Was what I did on my first play through so I wasn't expecting that behemoth at all and had to work with what I had.