Gym Leader Serra.

Rybeast

So after playing for hours straight I've hit a brick wall.

Forget Aya and this nonsense about her being hard to beat - Serra is an actual nightmare.

100% accurate blizzard - even with Rain Dance in effect... 100% accurate moves missing more often than hitting - not in hail...

Is there something I'm missing here?

The only things I can think of are that her Mamoswine AND Glaceon both have brightpowder attached... But then it's nigh on impossible to trick them both away when their Blizzards are still hitting both pokemon every turn... There's no let up!

Help!!

Serra's Blizzards are not 100% accurate outside of hail - in all other weather or Clear Skies, the accuracy is reduced to 70%.

There's a reason the Reborn community dubs her the Hax Queen.

Anyway, your best bet is just hit hard. Ice-types are generally poor defensively to compensate for their offensive prowess, so exploiting this flaw, perhaps with physical-heavy assaults, will allow you to eventually beat her.

EDIT: Try hunting down a Munchlax with Thick Fat in the wild - a trained Snorlax with that ability will laugh at Serra's Blizzards as he sits on her Pokemon.

When she was dubbed Hax queen dr HAX wasn't amused after all...

Ice types are fragile in defense but can't take a hit for anything unless you're talking about an abombasnow or her mamoswine. But they are crazy fast! There are magbys in reborn bro, get yourself one and take up arms against her! But make sure to bring it with flame body for no freezing, and make sure to bring a wall pokemon like snorlax along too! Defense and offense on a team especially against Serra is important. And remember, a blizzard to magmortar/ magmar is nothing, and even less to a thick fat snorlax! But if the blizzards are such a hell do bring along a sunny day on magmar/magmortar. And remember for mamoswine you too can get her back with a super effective blizzard or a rock or steel pokemon! Even a fighting type could survive a bit!

Edited by Absol-lutelty awesome!

So I need to go back in the game and train these pokemon upto level 50 to stand a chance at beating Serra?

Christ.

I understand that Blizzard has a low accuracy - I run a hail team myself. It's just hard to believe when you fight battles in which it doesn't seem to miss, even with Rain Dance up.

Just get a vulpix that has drought, you really don't need to train it at all. I wonder why people have so much trouble with her. Ice is the weakest type in pokemon. She's certainly the easiest leader if you use fire.

Competitively, as she plays, Ice is actually a really strong typing. Coupled with Walrein she has her type disadvantage against fire cut. So unless you happen to have gotten the vulpix from way earlier in the game - I didn't as I don't like Vulpix - then there's not much to do.

Also bare in mind that numerous pokemon in her team are actually coupled with Snow Cloak AND BrightPowder that raises their evasion even when Hail has left the screen. Coupled with that, her pokemon are fast and hard hitting with a variety of speed reducing moves. So really - she isn't all that easy, and that's the point of her.

Serra was the hardest gym leader for me too. I was stuck on her back in episode 9, and even though they said they slightly weakened her in episode 10 there was no difference that I could tell because she was still incredibly hard. I only managed to beat her in episode 10 because they fixed moxie. I've heard she's much easier if you have drought Ninetales, but if you don't have that she's almost impossible.

You can get a Vulpix from the beauty salon if your lead Pokemon has high friendship. Train it up and get a fire stone to evlove and and you'll have Ninetales. Just make sure it had drought or try to breed for one that does. You can also get Macargo from the volcano area by Kiki's gym, it has double resistance to ice type moves. If you don't want to train up new Pokemon (I didn't either) you're going to be in for a long, difficult, rage filled battle.

This is what I eventually beat her with after a billion tries and pure dumb luck where she didn't get any critical hits, none of my attacks missed, and my quick claw activated multiple times.

Lv 50 Camerupt (lava plume, yawn, earthquake, flame burst) held quickclaw
Lv 49 Gyarados (aqua tail, ice fang, bite, dragon dance) lv 50 during battle
Lv 49 Alakazam (psychic, shadow ball, recover, calm mind)
Lv 47 Samurott (aqua tail, water pulse, revenge, slash) held mystic water
Lv 47 Emolga (acrobatics, spark, volt switch, shock wave)
Lv 43 Mawile (iron defense, faint attack, crunch, baton bass) lv 44 during battle
Gyarados received many moxies. Only gyarados, emolga (unused), and mawile (critical condition) were left alive.

Where can i vote for making her harder :)? No wait i'm kidding (really) she was hard (but not impossible) to beat (Aya was more of a challenge for me), once you get rid of the hail (and supposedly have a decent team) she's as good as gone (after a few tries and ragequits :)).

• Administrators

That's also part of the thing, since I've also made Vulpix a bit more difficult to get. Florinia and Serra will have to be taken down quite a bit in response to things no longer available

• Administrators

Don't worry, it would be pretty impossible for me to remove Pokemon that already exist in a save file. I'm just changing the events that you get them from

Bluebomber is basically right, there are a few pokemon early in the game that are such good choices they kind of make using anything else silly. I don't really want that to be the case, so I'm replacing them. They'll be put back in later, naturally.