How's everyone doing the "impossible" fights for 13.5 so far

Nishtala

Somehow, both the Deathwing fight at Akuwa Town and Madame X at Blacksteeple so far ended with ma girl Banette dealing the final blow with sucker punch.

The Deathwings were standard enough - nothing seems to have changed much, so I got 3 endeavor sturdy donphans and 1 feint pikachu, 1 meat shield pokemon (sorry Meowstick!) and Banette for priority.

And me being partial to ghost-types, my go-to strategy for no items Yveltal in v13 was always two Cursed Bodies, a screen setter, and a bit of luck, so I was majorly surprised when I found out Yveltal also had Hurricane for 13.5. But then I remembered my Banette, whose role is usually to do Shenanigans against bosses, actually had Curse on it! So I Curse-bodied Decimation with A-Marowak, prayed for Hurricane to miss, set up Curse, then stalled it out. How's getting cursed twice feel, Madame X?

So far the hardest of the "impossible" was Madelis using Melia's early game team. The AI change made it so that the prevoius pray-for-two-omniboosts-then-yawn strategy didn't work, so I was majorly panicking - only for me to realize Melia also came with Bunearly this time like, waaaaaaaay too far into the challenge. Thankfully, after that a bit more grinding made it work.
I did manage to see a TRIPLE omniboost though. Guess that's what happens if you luck-grind for TWO HOURS!

Overall, I really like the new boss battle mechanics - the 2nd Rift Gyarados fight was unexpectedly hard, not gonna lie, like I can't believe we actually got infernal field for that - but overall it was much more enjoyable compared to v13 so far. Being able to see how far I'm into the shield is a good change, and it makes setting up momentum much more easier and enjoyable.

Oh, and a bit unrelated, but that 999 black prism mystery contract (which I'm never gonna look up, even once the guides are updated and such) is a very good secondary motivator for me to actually try a living shiny dex for rejuv as I did for reborn (as far as this version allows for, of course!) this time. I can't wait to grind myself to death.

2 hours ago, Nishtala said:

Somehow, both the Deathwing fight at Akuwa Town and Madame X at Blacksteeple so far ended with ma girl Banette dealing the final blow with sucker punch.

The Deathwings were standard enough - nothing seems to have changed much, so I got 3 endeavor sturdy donphans and 1 feint pikachu, 1 meat shield pokemon (sorry Meowstick!) and Banette for priority.

And me being partial to ghost-types, my go-to strategy for no items Yveltal in v13 was always two Cursed Bodies, a screen setter, and a bit of luck, so I was majorly surprised when I found out Yveltal also had Hurricane for 13.5. But then I remembered my Banette, whose role is usually to do Shenanigans against bosses, actually had Curse on it! So I Curse-bodied Decimation with A-Marowak, prayed for Hurricane to miss, set up Curse, then stalled it out. How's getting cursed twice feel, Madame X?

So far the hardest of the "impossible" was Madelis using Melia's early game team. The AI change made it so that the prevoius pray-for-two-omniboosts-then-yawn strategy didn't work, so I was majorly panicking - only for me to realize Melia also came with Bunearly this time like, waaaaaaaay too far into the challenge. Thankfully, after that a bit more grinding made it work.
I did manage to see a TRIPLE omniboost though. Guess that's what happens if you luck-grind for TWO HOURS!

Overall, I really like the new boss battle mechanics - the 2nd Rift Gyarados fight was unexpectedly hard, not gonna lie, like I can't believe we actually got infernal field for that - but overall it was much more enjoyable compared to v13 so far. Being able to see how far I'm into the shield is a good change, and it makes setting up momentum much more easier and enjoyable.

Oh, and a bit unrelated, but that 999 black prism mystery contract (which I'm never gonna look up, even once the guides are updated and such) is a very good secondary motivator for me to actually try a living shiny dex for rejuv as I did for reborn (as far as this version allows for, of course!) this time. I can't wait to grind myself to death.

Actually, regarding the battles

Spoiler

In Story Mode, Houndoom doesn't one-shot at all Togepi and that battle is super easy.

While, for Gyarados...uhm...

*sweats in Charmaleon's Dragon Rage*

Yveltal is far more easy, that Focus Sash opened way more strategies. Plus, the AI is ridiculous: they spammed Hurricane instead of Decimation for some reasons against a Gothitelle...and missed.

Where is a focus sash located? I'm still working on Goldenleaf atm.

Spoiler

I've seen two screenshots of characters mentioning the MC defeating Madam X after Blacksteeple. It's really freaking cool how defeating her is remembered and treated like a big deal and I don't wanna miss out!

1 minute ago, DinosaurDude25 said:

Where is a focus sash located? I'm still working on Goldenleaf atm.

Hide contents

I've seen two screenshots of characters mentioning the MC defeating Madam X after Blacksteeple. It's really freaking cool how defeating her is remembered and treated like a big deal and I don't wanna miss out!

Pretty sure it was actually given within the Blacksteeple, just before the climax - I remember being surprised that the game was handing out one just before the Yveltal fight, as if it was the devs telling us "use F.E.A.R!"

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Pokerus said:
  Hide contents

Yes its super easy, I used Endeavor Focus Sash Donphan and then Gale Wings Talonflame, simple. Almost effortless, were it not for Neved beforehand. 

What level does Donphan learn endeavor?  Or what alternatives are available if any?

Spoiler

Donphan does not learn Endeavor normally. It learns it as an egg move. You'll want a MALE Rattata brought to level 34 and pair it with a female Phanpy or Donphan in the daycare. Their offspring will know Endeavor. If you want you can probably do this trick with just the Rattata, but a lot of people use Donphan to cheese a different impossible battle. You can also breed female Phanpy/Donphan that known Endeavor with a male Seel that knows Ice Shard for an easy, Focus Sash-less FEAR set up.

Take note:

Spoiler

Decimation is priority so it will outspeed any Donphan with Ice Shard before the Donphan can kill Yveltal, so make sure you bring something with Fake Out or a Talonflame with Gale Wings to the battle. Or just something with Sand Stream/Snow Warning that can kill with residual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Risakisa said:

You say that, and yet it seems I have. And I'm fairly diligent about exploration.

I already lost that fight, and I'm not sure if I can go back.

If you just lost it and haven't continued any further, you can revert to a previous save and retry the fight!

The Focus Sash is also at the Piano Lady's hideout, it's an itemball, so you might have grabbed it and then didn't realize what item it was?