Yet another player in need of help with the Glass Factory Gauntlet

Fauna Joy

So I can just barely get past the first two, and only because of the heal-up between them. Then comes the third one and I'm just completely lost. Even if I take the time to heal up my team during Umbreon's Wish/Protect loop, I'm still not strong enough to get through. Heck, I even had to use Common Candies to get several of my Pokemon down to a level where they'd obey me with the current number of badges. Hoping maybe some advice might come down the grapevine. I've stocked up on Hyper Potions and Cotton Candy for healing, but could always spam train the clown at the circus and get more. Though some info on where I might be able to get max potions and/or max revives would definitely be welcome.

I have a ton of alts in my PC, but here's my team as it currently stands:

Pokemon: Zoroark

Item: Dread Plate

Moves

Night Daze

Low Sweep

Foul Play

Extrasensory

Pokemon: Delphox

Item: Firium-Z

Moves

Flamethrower

Mystical Fire

Psychic

Dazzling Gleam

Pokemon: Garchomp

Item: Draco Plate

Moves

Bulldoze

Dig

Stone Edge

Dragon Pulse

Pokemon: Eelektross

Item: none

Moves

Brick Break

Flash Cannon

Zap Cannon

Discharge

Pokemon: Hariyama

Item: Fist Plate

Moves

Smack Down

Surf

Vital Throw

Brick Break

Pokemon: Roserade

Item: Meadow Plate

Moves

Magical Leaf

Dazzling Gleam

Petal Blizzard

Venoshock

In Obsidia ward there is a shop with a Meganium that sells revival herbs. Also if I may, Roserade isn't so good type wise for the last fight where they use ice/psychic types, I suggest you replace it with something else. Preferably a fire mon, good against Shelly and the last fight. I recommend Blaziken since you should be able to spam cotton candies/revives/revival herbs against Umbreon I think. Remember, if your mons are alive even on 1 HP, they will be healed full for the last fight. Fainted mons will remain fainted. Lastly, with the help of a data chip (you should be able to purchase them in 7th street), you can put the password "hardcap" in the game, to make your pokemon unable to level up beyond the cap where they won't obey. Good luck! 

16 minutes ago, RebornFan7 said:

In Obsidia ward there is a shop with a Meganium that sells revival herbs. Also if I may, Roserade isn't so good type wise for the last fight where they use ice/psychic types, I suggest you replace it with something else. Preferably a fire mon, good against Shelly and the last fight. I recommend Blaziken since you should be able to spam cotton candies/revives/revival herbs against Umbreon I think. Remember, if your mons are alive even on 1 HP, they will be healed full for the last fight. Fainted mons will remain fainted. Lastly, with the help of a data chip (you should be able to purchase them in 7th street), you can put the password "hardcap" in the game, to make your pokemon unable to level up beyond the cap where they won't obey. Good luck! 

I had no idea the data chip was a thing, I'll take a look. It's nice to know my team will at least be healed between two and three.

I don't have a Blaziken, but I do have a level 85 Bisharp that might work.

2 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

I had no idea the data chip was a thing, I'll take a look. It's nice to know my team will at least be healed between two and three.

I don't have a Blaziken, but I do have a level 85 Bisharp that might work.

Hard-cap will definitely come in handy. If you use it you won't need to worry about over-leveling between battles. I don't think Bisharp is the best idea (I don't remember if it has any set-up and sweep potential but I don't think so)
I'd recommend a Quiver Dance Volcarona (if you have one of course - if you don't I can tell you where it is obtainable). I'd switch it with Roserade, since, like RebornFan7 correctly said, it has a bad type match-up in 2/3 of the battles and is a glass cannon that'll mostly drag you down. If you have problems with grinding mons, then you could enable the in-game DebugMode to quickly level-up your desired team members.

Also, some of your pokemon have pretty average movesets that could definitely use some tweaking. It's mostly Physical fighters having Special moves and vice versa. If you want any advice about that just ask. Have you EV trained your team, btw?

2 minutes ago, Saroyan said:

Hard-cap will definitely come in handy. If you use it you won't need to worry about over-leveling between battles. I don't think Bisharp is the best idea (I don't remember if it has any set-up and sweep potential but I don't think so)
I'd recommend a Quiver Dance Volcarona (if you have one of course - if you don't I can tell you where it is obtainable). I'd switch it with Roserade, since, like RebornFan7 correctly said, it has a bad type match-up in 2/3 of the battles and is a glass cannon that'll mostly drag you down. If you have problems with grinding mons, then you could enable the in-game DebugMode to quickly level-up your desired team members.

Also, some of your pokemon have pretty average movesets that could definitely use some tweaking. It's mostly Physical fighters having Special moves and vice versa. If you want any advice about that just ask. Have you EV trained your team, btw?

EV and IV stuff go right over my head. I've tried to figure it out, but it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Also, I didn't realize ep19 had been released, so I just upgraded to get the passwords, and now I can't get past the first battle again. -_- The strategy I came up with before the update isn't working anymore.

I'm going to save a little time and list the pokemon I have in my box. Can train and evolve as needed.

Growlithe, Fennekin, Typhlosion, Magcargo, Ponyta, Swirlix

Cubone, Milotic, Trubbish, Clefairy, Castform, Kantonian Marowak

Dartrix, Pallosand, Purrloin, Steelix, Hoothoot, Corsola

Jellicent, Kantonian Grimer, Bronzong, Ralts, Alolan Vulpix, Vanillux

Bisharp, Geodude, Braviary, Weezing, Medicham, Archeops

Boldore, Ampharos, Abra, Swanna, Lickitung, Alolan Dugtrio

Misdreavus, Donphan, Abomasnow, Spiritomb, Mawile, Metagross

Gardevoir, Zebstrika, Alolan Exeggutor, Absol

Also open to finding something better if need be.

1 hour ago, Fauna Joy said:

EV and IV stuff go right over my head. I've tried to figure it out, but it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Also, I didn't realize ep19 had been released, so I just upgraded to get the passwords, and now I can't get past the first battle again. -_- The strategy I came up with before the update isn't working anymore.

I'm going to save a little time and list the pokemon I have in my box. Can train and evolve as needed.

Okay...

I think that from your current team you should definitely keep Delphox. It has a decent moveset right now, but I'd have it learn Heat Wave from a tutor in Peridot Ward instead of Flamethrower so it hits both opponents in the Radomus/Serra battle. I'd also switch Dazzling Gleam for Will-O-Wisp if you have the TM for it, but if you do not, then fairy type coverage is still great especially against Luna. Mystical Flame is also an amazing move since it always lowers the targets Sp.Attack by one stage.

I think you should also keep Zoroark (it's my fav mon, i might be a little biased, but...). It has great potential for easy set up thanks to Illusion. I'd replace Low Sweep and Foul Play with Nasty Plot for set-up and Grass Knot/Thunderbolt for coverage. It doesn't always work, but it can definitely help you ace a few battles, maybe this Gauntlet of Hell is one of them.

From your box you could utilize the Alolan Vulpix. If it doesn't have Snow Warning as it's ability you can buy Ability Capsules at one of the stalls in Agate Circus. It could up your chances a fair bit if it set up Aurora Veil (that strat is insane, trust me). It also rocks attacks like Blizzard and Dazzling Gleam since they hit two targets in doubles. Having it learn something like Thunder Wave from a TM for additional support wouldn't hurt either.

If I were you I'd really pick up that Larvesta and evolve it onto Volcarona. That thing is an absolute beast when you let it use Quiver Dance one too many times and it can sweep whole teams. I lost count how many times it carried me through really hard battles in post-game. It even has a wiki page dedicated solely to the special Larvesta encounter and it isn't that hard to obtain though I recommend saving before trying to catch it, just to be safe. A perfect moveset for Volcarona is Quiver Dance (obviously), Heat Wave, Bug Buzz and Morning Sun/Sunny Day.

As for the EV/IV conondrum, I myself am not a scholar in this field (lol), but I think I understand enough to use it to my advantage. EVs can be gained from fighting different Pokemon which are worth from 1-3 EV points in a different stat (Defense, Speed etc.). Maximal value in one stat that you can gain by beating other mons is 255, and you can fully train only two stats for one Pokemon (so you can gain up to 510 for Pokemon). You can split the points between different stats, but they should be concentrated around the most crucial ones depending on the mon. For example:

For Zoroark you should have 252 EVs in Sp. Attack, 252 EVs in Speed and 4 EVs in HP (at least it's the build I used)

For a tank you'd have 252 in HP and Defense/Sp. Defence. Items called Reset Discs can be used to get read of already gained EVs.

If you really feel like you can't beat the Gauntlet you can watch strats on YT, there are a few videos where people use pretty rad strategies to beat that monstrosity. I hope I was at least a little helpful. And i'm sorry for my word vomit. Hope you manage to win this :3

6 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

not sure how many explanations of evs and ivs you've tried to get through, so bear with me if i can't make it make sense in the end. gotta try!

evs, which stands for 'effort values,' are points you can invest into a stat to increase its total. think rpgs that give you points to put into skills/abilities like intelligence or health. you get these points by defeating other pokemon, and what species of pokemon they are determines what type of points you earn from them and how many. like if you were training against actual enemies with specialties for you to improve against. sometimes it's intuitive, sometimes not.

ivs, which stands for 'individual values,' tell you what the individual pokemon's potential is in each stat. it's often compared to genetics, especially because you can manipulate ivs through breeding pokemon, and i think it's a helpful analogue. the value for a given stat will be anywhere in the range 0-31. the higher the value, the higher the stat total the pokemon has the potential to achieve through levelling up and ev training.

now for numbers. pokemon reborn very helpfully gives a page in a pokemon's summary that lays out its evs and ivs for viewing (canon does not do this). here's an example of one of my own pokemon. the numbers on the left of the slashes are the evs invested in each stat; the numbers on the right are the ivs.

Spoiler

image.png.1683816e19188e1d9843aa38f79af2d8.png

as you can hopefully see, my gardevoir has 252 evs in spatk and spdef, 4 evs in speed, and a dangling 2 in defense. the numbers might be a bit confusing, but basically every 4 evs will boost the stat it's invested in. multiples of 4 are all that matters. the maximum multiple of 4 you can get in one stat is 252. (canon unhelpfully puts the upper limit at 255, which is not a multiple of 4, but pokemon reborn does us a favor and maxes it at 252 for us.) keeping this in mind, an individual pokemon can also only have a total of 510 evs in all. that's enough for two stats with max evs and one stat to have a small boost of 4. that is, 252+252=504, with a leftover of 6. you can of course distribute evs in whatever way you wish, not just 252/252/4. the most important thing to remember is that evs are only helpful in multiples of 4.

my gardevoir has two max ivs: def and spdef. this means that she gets the highest possible stat totals in each, counting how much ev training she has in them. with effectively no ev training in def (2 not being a multiple of 4), she gets no additional boost the way that her spdef does with 252 evs. in that sense, you can think of each iv representing a range of potential stat totals dependent on the number of evs invested: 0 evs being the lowest of that range, 252 evs being the highest.

for additional illustration, gardevoir also has an iv of 4 in atk. in the iv range of 0-31, this value is what we would call 'dogshit.' so it's a good thing that my gardevoir has no need for a good atk stat; she's entirely a special attacker, something that her moveset and species' base stats reflect as well.

if most of that does happen to make sense, then i definitely recommend doing some ev training. (ivs are a hassle that i do not recommend bothering with at your experience level lol.) evs can make a big world of difference in damage calculations and such, especially at higher levels.

you can buy the power items (which in reborn give the pokemon holding it 32 evs per participating battle for the stat that corresponds to each item) either at the 4th floor of the department store or in agate circus from one of the clowns behind the northernmost stand, beside the big top iirc. they're fairly expensive though. if you can't quite afford them, the other primary ev training item could be picked up in one of the coral ward warehouses pre-restoration: the macho brace. in reborn, holding the macho brace increases the evs received from defeating a pokemon by a multiplier of 8—that is, if you beat up a pokemon that drops 1 atk ev, the macho brace will up it to 8 atk evs. there are also locations for ev training in the game where all the wild encounters give evs for a single specific stat; here's one thread with a list for e19.

to remove any pesky unwanted evs, the friendship berries subtract 20 evs each from their corresponding stats. they're available for purchase from the 2nd floor of the department store or from a clown in one of the south-southeastern stalls at agate circus.

as for advice you've actually asked for:
i definitely think mawile and metagross could be good options for you. steel types offer good resistances against most of the glass gauntlet as well as super effectiveness against ice types. metagross will resist psychic type moves, too. mawilite is obtainable at your point of story progress if you haven't picked it up already (in the teknite range from the tourmaline desert), so you could have a mega evo on your team. medicham with its pure power ability, fighting type options, and medichamite are similarly possible (medichamite can be found in sugiline cave).

there are more helpful held items than the plates, though i don't know how many you've managed to collect. if you've done the spyce sidequest, the one where you fulfill what's effectively a grocery shopping list for the chefs there, you receive 2 leftovers that you could give to your tankier party members. quick claw and lax incense/bright powder can be surprisingly clutch, at least in my experience, and imo worth it for team members on the more glass cannon side who don't benefit much from any other items you might have.

if you do decide to look into ev training, there's plenty of resources out there on recommended ev distributions and suitable movesets to go with for pretty much every single pokemon, and i know i have my own personal quirks re: training and listening to others' advice. my biggest advice really would be to play to your pokemon's strengths. look at their base stats, ivs, and possible moves, and strengthen what they're already good at. your results will almost always be powerful and much more reliable.

if you don't mind a bit of cheese, quicksave is your friend as well. it's usually toggled to the 'd' key, and if you try it when there is no dialogue, you will be able to save right at that point. it certainly helped me out a lot, not having to repeat already tough fights.

hope that all helps!

7 hours ago, Saroyan said:

Okay...

I think that from your current team you should definitely keep Delphox. It has a decent moveset right now, but I'd have it learn Heat Wave from a tutor in Peridot Ward instead of Flamethrower so it hits both opponents in the Radomus/Serra battle. I'd also switch Dazzling Gleam for Will-O-Wisp if you have the TM for it, but if you do not, then fairy type coverage is still great especially against Luna. Mystical Flame is also an amazing move since it always lowers the targets Sp.Attack by one stage.

I think you should also keep Zoroark (it's my fav mon, i might be a little biased, but...). It has great potential for easy set up thanks to Illusion. I'd replace Low Sweep and Foul Play with Nasty Plot for set-up and Grass Knot/Thunderbolt for coverage. It doesn't always work, but it can definitely help you ace a few battles, maybe this Gauntlet of Hell is one of them.

From your box you could utilize the Alolan Vulpix. If it doesn't have Snow Warning as it's ability you can buy Ability Capsules at one of the stalls in Agate Circus. It could up your chances a fair bit if it set up Aurora Veil (that strat is insane, trust me). It also rocks attacks like Blizzard and Dazzling Gleam since they hit two targets in doubles. Having it learn something like Thunder Wave from a TM for additional support wouldn't hurt either.

If I were you I'd really pick up that Larvesta and evolve it onto Volcarona. That thing is an absolute beast when you let it use Quiver Dance one too many times and it can sweep whole teams. I lost count how many times it carried me through really hard battles in post-game. It even has a wiki page dedicated solely to the special Larvesta encounter and it isn't that hard to obtain though I recommend saving before trying to catch it, just to be safe. A perfect moveset for Volcarona is Quiver Dance (obviously), Heat Wave, Bug Buzz and Morning Sun/Sunny Day.

Yeah, I'm the kind of player who never really uses non-attack moves, so I'm definitely lacking in that kind of strategy. XD I can definitely go look for the Larvesta, I don't think I was aware it was an option. I think I will keep Garchomp and Eelektross cause they make a good pair for Discharge and Bulldoze. Delphox and Zoroark have been invaluable too, at least in the start against the Marowak and Ribombee. BTW, is there any way to stop Ribombee using Sticky Web? I feel like the speed debuff is hurting me a lot.

4 hours ago, primrose said:

not sure how many explanations of evs and ivs you've tried to get through, so bear with me if i can't make it make sense in the end. gotta try!

evs, which stands for 'effort values,' are points you can invest into a stat to increase its total. think rpgs that give you points to put into skills/abilities like intelligence or health. you get these points by defeating other pokemon, and what species of pokemon they are determines what type of points you earn from them and how many. like if you were training against actual enemies with specialties for you to improve against. sometimes it's intuitive, sometimes not.

ivs, which stands for 'individual values,' tell you what the individual pokemon's potential is in each stat. it's often compared to genetics, especially because you can manipulate ivs through breeding pokemon, and i think it's a helpful analogue. the value for a given stat will be anywhere in the range 0-31. the higher the value, the higher the stat total the pokemon has the potential to achieve through levelling up and ev training.

now for numbers. pokemon reborn very helpfully gives a page in a pokemon's summary that lays out its evs and ivs for viewing (canon does not do this). here's an example of one of my own pokemon. the numbers on the left of the slashes are the evs invested in each stat; the numbers on the right are the ivs.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.1683816e19188e1d9843aa38f79af2d8.png

as you can hopefully see, my gardevoir has 252 evs in spatk and spdef, 4 evs in speed, and a dangling 2 in defense. the numbers might be a bit confusing, but basically every 4 evs will boost the stat it's invested in. multiples of 4 are all that matters. the maximum multiple of 4 you can get in one stat is 252. (canon unhelpfully puts the upper limit at 255, which is not a multiple of 4, but pokemon reborn does us a favor and maxes it at 252 for us.) keeping this in mind, an individual pokemon can also only have a total of 510 evs in all. that's enough for two stats with max evs and one stat to have a small boost of 4. that is, 252+252=504, with a leftover of 6. you can of course distribute evs in whatever way you wish, not just 252/252/4. the most important thing to remember is that evs are only helpful in multiples of 4.

my gardevoir has two max ivs: def and spdef. this means that she gets the highest possible stat totals in each, counting how much ev training she has in them. with effectively no ev training in def (2 not being a multiple of 4), she gets no additional boost the way that her spdef does with 252 evs. in that sense, you can think of each iv representing a range of potential stat totals dependent on the number of evs invested: 0 evs being the lowest of that range, 252 evs being the highest.

for additional illustration, gardevoir also has an iv of 4 in atk. in the iv range of 0-31, this value is what we would call 'dogshit.' so it's a good thing that my gardevoir has no need for a good atk stat; she's entirely a special attacker, something that her moveset and species' base stats reflect as well.

if most of that does happen to make sense, then i definitely recommend doing some ev training. (ivs are a hassle that i do not recommend bothering with at your experience level lol.) evs can make a big world of difference in damage calculations and such, especially at higher levels.

you can buy the power items (which in reborn give the pokemon holding it 32 evs per participating battle for the stat that corresponds to each item) either at the 4th floor of the department store or in agate circus from one of the clowns behind the northernmost stand, beside the big top iirc. they're fairly expensive though. if you can't quite afford them, the other primary ev training item could be picked up in one of the coral ward warehouses pre-restoration: the macho brace. in reborn, holding the macho brace increases the evs received from defeating a pokemon by a multiplier of 8—that is, if you beat up a pokemon that drops 1 atk ev, the macho brace will up it to 8 atk evs. there are also locations for ev training in the game where all the wild encounters give evs for a single specific stat; here's one thread with a list for e19.

to remove any pesky unwanted evs, the friendship berries subtract 20 evs each from their corresponding stats. they're available for purchase from the 2nd floor of the department store or from a clown in one of the south-southeastern stalls at agate circus.

as for advice you've actually asked for:
i definitely think mawile and metagross could be good options for you. steel types offer good resistances against most of the glass gauntlet as well as super effectiveness against ice types. metagross will resist psychic type moves, too. mawilite is obtainable at your point of story progress if you haven't picked it up already (in the teknite range from the tourmaline desert), so you could have a mega evo on your team. medicham with its pure power ability, fighting type options, and medichamite are similarly possible (medichamite can be found in sugiline cave).

there are more helpful held items than the plates, though i don't know how many you've managed to collect. if you've done the spyce sidequest, the one where you fulfill what's effectively a grocery shopping list for the chefs there, you receive 2 leftovers that you could give to your tankier party members. quick claw and lax incense/bright powder can be surprisingly clutch, at least in my experience, and imo worth it for team members on the more glass cannon side who don't benefit much from any other items you might have.

if you do decide to look into ev training, there's plenty of resources out there on recommended ev distributions and suitable movesets to go with for pretty much every single pokemon, and i know i have my own personal quirks re: training and listening to others' advice. my biggest advice really would be to play to your pokemon's strengths. look at their base stats, ivs, and possible moves, and strengthen what they're already good at. your results will almost always be powerful and much more reliable.

if you don't mind a bit of cheese, quicksave is your friend as well. it's usually toggled to the 'd' key, and if you try it when there is no dialogue, you will be able to save right at that point. it certainly helped me out a lot, not having to repeat already tough fights.

hope that all helps!

Yeah, sorry, I tried to read that explanation about IVs and EVs, and my head started spinning. I think part of the problem is very technical walls of text do that to me.

Can I get Metagrossite at this point in the story? The wiki says where it is, but I don't know where the "Charous Path" is.

Are you saying I can quicksave between the battles? Cause that would be super helpful.

3 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

Yeah, sorry, I tried to read that explanation about IVs and EVs, and my head started spinning. I think part of the problem is very technical walls of text do that to me.

Can I get Metagrossite at this point in the story? The wiki says where it is, but I don't know where the "Charous Path" is.

Are you saying I can quicksave between the battles? Cause that would be super helpful.

i've got adhd so i totally get it. sorry i couldn't be more helpful on that end.

metagrossite no, sadly. charous path is right between victory road and the elite four—endgame, for the main story at least.

and yes, you absolutely can quicksave between the battles. there's a decently lengthy pause after each fight before dialogue boxes turn back up. that's your chance. it's indeed SO helpful. (and it's not difficult to return to an earlier save to alter your team. there's resources somewhere around on how to do that.)

Iirc you can also get Honedge, as Specially Bulky Aegislash with Leftovers is a very solid mon overall. Maybe won't handle Luna well, but the double after has many special attackers.

You could also consider Sticky Web support with e.g. Ribombee (Belrose Mansion grass) to give yourself a strong advantage against the faster mons, but keep in mind that you won't get revives between the fights, only Full Restores. Ribombee is also quite frail and doesn't hit that hard, but it is very fast. Sticky Web would pair well with Mega-Medicham, if you have the stone (it's in the Sugiline Ruins if you don't).

So I think I will alter my team a bit. I am swapping out Roserade and Hariyama with Volcarona, and I think Metagross. Since the IV/EV stuff goes over my head, I'm going to include those stats in this list. I'm up for switching around moves if need be, though I think I'm only going to give Volcarona Heat Wave since it's taking me forever to get the shards I need for just that. I'll also go ahead and list the TMs I have. I don't have any Heart Scales, so without an easy way to get those, I won't be able to use that as a way of getting moves.

Zoroark

Night Daze, Low Sweep, Foul Play, Extrasensory

HP: 138/10

Attack: 133/19

Defense: 29/18

Sp. Atk: 70/0

Sp. Def: 23/15

Speed: 117/30

Delphox

Flamethrower, Mystical Fire, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam

HP: 51/8

Attack: 161/24

Defense: 70/27

Sp. Atk: 92/19

Sp. Def: 47/26

Speed: 89/26

Eelektross

Brick Break, Flash Cannon, Zap Cannon, Discharge

HP: 35/31

Attack: 134/31

Defense: 70/7

Sp. Atk: 53/27

Sp. Def: 37/7

Speed: 181/21

Volcarona (Just got it and used exp candies to level it, so its stats are way lower than the rest)

Heat Wave, Quiver Dance, Flame Wheel, Morning Sun

HP: 5/29

Attack: 15/0

Defense: 0/21

Sp. Atk: 5/17

Sp. Def: 1/16

Speed: 10/7

Metagross

Meteor Mash, Psychic, Bullet Punch, Zen Headbutt

HP: 53/24

Attack: 118/26

Defense: 34/16

Sp. Atk: 10/4

Sp. Def: 16/0

Speed: 98/15

Garchomp

Bulldoze, Dig, Stone Edge, Dragon Pulse

HP: 37/11

Attack: 178/21

Defense: 33/19

Sp. Atk: 87/21

Sp. Def: 30/28

Speed: 145/17

TMs

Work Up, Bulk Up, Venoshock, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Roost

Safeguard, Frustration, Smack Down, Return, Psychic, Brick Break, Double Team

Sludge Wave, Flamethrower, Thief, Low Sweep, Echoed Voice, False Swipe, Scald

Charge Beam, Sky Drop, Quash, Acrobatics, Embargo, Shadow Claw, Payback

Rock Polish, Aurora Veil, Stone Edge, Struggle Bug, Psych Up, Bulldoze, X-Scissor

Dragon Tail, Infestation, Poison Jab, Grass Knot, Sleep Talk, Flash Cannon, Trick Room

Secret Power, Nature Power, Dark Pulse, Power-Up Punch, Dazzling Gleam

All the TMXs

In regards to the numbers you posted, the left side are the EVs and the right side are the IVs. The EVs can be enhaced, but the IVs can't.

Volcarona generally needs enhancing on the stats of SpAttack and Speed. You can get the power items in the department store. Power lens is called the item that boosts the SpAttack, and power anklet is the item that boosts Speed. Power bracer is the item that boosts Attack, you don't need it for Volcarona but I'm just mentioning. Some players like to also put some HP investment on Volcarona seeing it has the means to boost anyway. A set of HP enhacement together with Speed enhacement is used then. A key difference in playing with this set is you click quiver dance and morning sun more often. Power weight is called the item that enhaces HP.

How you enhace a stat is you equip said items to a pokemon, and battle wild pokemons with them. Like the others have said, you can have 252 EVs at max for one stat. Battling wild pokemon also give EVs so you might want to search EV training spots for pokemon reborn. But you can always use berries to purge your pokemon from the unwanted stats. Those berries are called friendship berries and you can buy them on the second floor of the department store. That way you can delete the SpAttack EVs from Garchomp and then train it to the Attack and Speed that it needs. For example. 

Speaking of Garchomp, teach it Brick Break instead of Dragon Pulse. It will do more damage against the dark type pokemon. I would teach Hammer Arm to Metagross instead of Psychic to have a way to deal with steel types, it's a move that can be learned at the move re learner (Onyx ward). Thunder punch is also a worthy consideration, it will hit Primarina (Cain) harder with it. Bug Buzz will be stab for Volcarona and will have quite a few targets, replace Flame Charge with it obviously. Eelektross' and Zoroark's movesets can also use some adjustments, you can't seem to make up your mind if you will use them as Attackers or Special Attackers or perhaps keep them as Mixed Attackers. Delphox's moveset is okay. 

2 hours ago, RebornFan7 said:

In regards to the numbers you posted, the left side are the EVs and the right side are the IVs. The EVs can be enhaced, but the IVs can't.

Volcarona generally needs enhancing on the stats of SpAttack and Speed. You can get the power items in the department store. Power lens is called the item that boosts the SpAttack, and power anklet is the item that boosts Speed. Power bracer is the item that boosts Attack, you don't need it for Volcarona but I'm just mentioning. Some players like to also put some HP investment on Volcarona seeing it has the means to boost anyway. A set of HP enhacement together with Speed enhacement is used then. A key difference in playing with this set is you click quiver dance and morning sun more often. Power weight is called the item that enhaces HP.

How you enhace a stat is you equip said items to a pokemon, and battle wild pokemons with them. Like the others have said, you can have 252 EVs at max for one stat. Battling wild pokemon also give EVs so you might want to search EV training spots for pokemon reborn. But you can always use berries to purge your pokemon from the unwanted stats. Those berries are called friendship berries and you can buy them on the second floor of the department store. That way you can delete the SpAttack EVs from Garchomp and then train it to the Attack and Speed that it needs. For example. 

Speaking of Garchomp, teach it Brick Break instead of Dragon Pulse. It will do more damage against the dark type pokemon. I would teach Hammer Arm to Metagross instead of Psychic to have a way to deal with steel types, it's a move that can be learned at the move re learner (Onyx ward). Thunder punch is also a worthy consideration, it will hit Primarina (Cain) harder with it. Bug Buzz will be stab for Volcarona and will have quite a few targets, replace Flame Charge with it obviously. Eelektross' and Zoroark's movesets can also use some adjustments, you can't seem to make up your mind if you will use them as Attackers or Special Attackers or perhaps keep them as Mixed Attackers. Delphox's moveset is okay. 

Ok, I can definitely look into the EV training stuff for Volcarona. Just making sure since I don't want to assume: do EVs increase on their own, or does the Pokemon's level need to increase for the EVs to increase?

I admit, I'm also not well versed in Special stats vs Physical stats. 😓 I don't usually have to put this much thought into my games, since I don't do competitive, so sorry for sounding like a complete noob.

Where is a good place to get Heart Scales for the move relearner?

2 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

Ok, I can definitely look into the EV training stuff for Volcarona. Just making sure since I don't want to assume: do EVs increase on their own, or does the Pokemon's level need to increase for the EVs to increase?

I admit, I'm also not well versed in Special stats vs Physical stats. 😓 I don't usually have to put this much thought into my games, since I don't do competitive, so sorry for sounding like a complete noob.

Where is a good place to get Heart Scales for the move relearner?

I think since gen V EVs will increase on their own. In any case, it is possible now to EV train even lvl 100 pokemon, which you couldn't do in past generations. 

I'm afraid you'll have to look up each and every move to see which is physical and which is special. In the core pokemon series, there is a menu you can check the moves which shows which move is physical and which is special. Not sure about reborn, though I think they probably have it in too. Try pressing the equivalent of A button when in the move menu. 

In the lake in front of the Belrose mansion (Tanzan cove I think it's called) with the super rod you have the highest chance of finding Luvdisc I think. Galvantula can learn Thief (I see you have it), and if it has the ability CompoundEyes it will make  items easier to be found. You can use 3 heart scalrs in the psycologist in the 7th street to change the natures of your pokemon to further optimize your team. 

In the lake in front of the Belrose mansion (Tanzan cove I think it's called) with the super rod you have the highest chance of finding Luvdisc I think. Galvantula can learn Thief (I see you have it), and if it has the ability CompoundEyes it will make  items easier to be found. You can use 3 heart scalrs in the psycologist in the 7th street to change the natures of your pokemon to further optimize your team. 

You mean I can earn three heart scales from the psychologist, or I should use three heart scales at the psychologist? I'm a little confused.

And yeah, shouldn't surprise you to hear natures are something I don't get either.

11 minutes ago, Fauna Joy said:

You mean I can earn three heart scales from the psychologist, or I should use three heart scales at the psychologist? I'm a little confused.

And yeah, shouldn't surprise you to hear natures are something I don't get either.

If you give 3 heart scales to the psychologist, he will change the nature of 1 of your pokemon. 

If you give 3 heart scales to the psychologist, he will change the nature of 1 of your pokemon. 

Ah ok. I think I'll just get the ones I need for the move relearner. I'm already doing more than I ever thought I would to win this, I don't think I need to add farming natures to it, lol.

So if I'm understanding this right, most of my pokemon's EV/IV stats are more weighted towards physical attacks. Does that mean I should make them all physical attackers, or do I need to look at their actual stats for each to figure that out?

Just wanted to drop in and say, don't be disheartened because you're stuck at a fight! All of the things you're learning and the preparations you're making will make your life easier for the rest of the game, trust me.

5 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

So if I'm understanding this right, most of my pokemon's EV/IV stats are more weighted towards physical attacks. Does that mean I should make them all physical attackers, or do I need to look at their actual stats for each to figure that out?

So yes you should look at what the base stats of your Pokemon are. EVs and Natures are only supposed to boost your useful stats by a little. For an obvious example, Delphox has 69 base Attack and 114 base Special Attack, so its Special Attack is always going to be stronger, and so it is always better to invest there. A lot of the time you can tell just by looking at the Pokemon, but otherwise I find the quickest way to check stats to be to look up the Pokemon on https://pokemondb.net.

You can reduce EVs in the wrong stat by using EV-reducing berries on your Pokemon (sold on Dept. Store 2F), and train EVs by KOing Pokemon while holding a Power Item (sold on Dept. Store 4F). Also, the nature changer in 7th Street requires only 2 Heart Scales for each Pokemon now.

Edited by Karvanha

Ok, so I went looking for mining rocks and found a ton in Apophyll Cave that I hadn't depleted. Managed to get a good number of Heart Scales there. It honestly never occurred to me to wander back to previous areas. XD

Got Hammer Arm, Brick Break, and Bug Buzz.

Looking at their base stats on Serebii (Sorry, Karvanha, I'm more familiar with that site than Pokemondb), I think I have an idea where I want to go.

Garchomp I think is fine as is since its strongest offense stat is physical Attack. Bulldoze, Dig, Stone Edge, and Brick Break are all physical.

Eelektross is probably fine being mixed Special and Physical since there are only ten points between those two base stats. Discharge is one I definitely want to keep on it, since it hits both opponents in the double battle, but I'm open to suggestions for whether I should replace Brick Break, Flash Cannon, or Zap Cannon.

Zoroark does okay with Physical, but is a bit stronger in Special with 15 more points there. Something I was wondering with Zoroark, since I have it in front with Delphox: If I taught it Fake Out, could I use that to team up on Ribombee and avoid the Sticky Web? And if so, which move should I replace?

As far as the EV's, I did find a couple of items I could use. I found two EV Boosters, and one EV Tuner. If I'm finally starting to wrap my head around all this, I think I should use one booster on Volcarona's Special Attack, the other on Zoroark's Special Attack, and the Tuner on Delphox to switch its Physical and Special Attack EVs.

I do still have quite a bit of money left, so if I can just use the EV berries to boost other stats, I'm tempted to do that. Though I might also do some more mining or battling with the clown to get more funds to buy more healing items. (As a side note, I just took a look at the floors of the department store I don't have access to and realized I really should, at the very least, get one more sticker so I can get Full Restores. >_<)

Yes, you should definitely get Fake Out on Zoroark. I'd say replace Low Sweep for it. It will help in the second double battle too. And don't get rid of Flash Cannon on Eelektross, it's boosted 2x on the Factory Field.

10 hours ago, Fauna Joy said:

If I'm finally starting to wrap my head around all this, I think I should use one booster on Volcarona's Special Attack, the other on Zoroark's Special Attack, and the Tuner on Delphox to switch its Physical and Special Attack EVs.

Sounds good, but you'll have to use the EV-reducing berries to get rid of EVs in less helpful stats (because there is a limit on total EVs). Also you should buy the Power Items from the Dept. Store. They have been buffed, so training from 0 to 252 EVs only takes 5 minutes when you make your Pokemon hold them.

You can get some pretty good held items at this point too btw. Some of them require completing quests which I wouldn't tell you do right now, but you can get a Life Orb in Celestinine Mountain (going from the North Aventurine Woods entrance) now that you have Rock Climb. (Also I'm kinda surprised you don't have a Mega on your team?)

Also just in case you didn't know, all of your non-fainted Pokemon are fully healed after the second battle.

Edited by Karvanha

9 hours ago, Karvanha said:

Yes, you should definitely get Fake Out on Zoroark. I'd say replace Low Sweep for it. It will help in the second double battle too. And don't get rid of Flash Cannon on Eelektross, it's boosted 2x on the Factory Field.

Sounds good, but you'll have to use the EV-reducing berries to get rid of EVs in less helpful stats (because there is a limit on total EVs). Also you should buy the Power Items from the Dept. Store. They have been buffed, so training from 0 to 252 EVs only takes 5 minutes when you make your Pokemon hold them.

You can get some pretty good held items at this point too btw. Some of them require completing quests which I wouldn't tell you do right now, but you can get a Life Orb in Celestinine Mountain (going from the North Aventurine Woods entrance) now that you have Rock Climb. (Also I'm kinda surprised you don't have a Mega on your team?)

Also just in case you didn't know, all of your non-fainted Pokemon are fully healed after the second battle.

Ok, I'll look into the berries when I get the chance. I've been wary of the Life Orb since I really don't like moves or items that damage the user. I think I can get through without using a Mega since I don't have the stones for any that I'm familiar with.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ugh. I still can't get a handle on this. I did some shuffling around of moves and EVs and now I can't even get past the first battle. Turns out none of the Pokemon on my team can learn Fake Out, and Bullet Punch doesn't do enough damage to Ribombee to stop it using Sticky Web. So... asking for more help. Here's the team now. Honestly at this point I'd welcome someone playing the darn thing for me so I can just get to the next part of the story.

Zoroark

Night Daze, Payback, Foul Play, Extrasensory

Item: Dread Plate

EV & IV

HP: 138/10

Attack: 133/19

Defense: 29/18

Sp.Atk: 130/0

Sp.Def: 23/15

Speed: 57/30

Skills

HP: 247