Help with Geara (mono flying run, normal mode)

IceBreaker

So I'm at the first battle with Geara under Wispy Tower, and his Giratina is completely destroying me. The combination of thunder bolts, shadow sneaks, and dragon breaths make this fight really hard for a mono flying run. Especially the thunderbolts. Can anyone give me some advice? My current team is:

Charizard
Talonflame
Golbat
Altaria
Fearow
Noctowl

I know that golbat can be evolved, but I already used the blue moon ice cream on a swoobat (reason its not here is because it gets OHKO'd by shadow sneak) and I really don't want to grind friendship

I think you might want a Crobat for this. I checked with the showdown calculator, and even if the Giratina is max Speed EV + IV + Speed boosting nature, and even if YOU have 0 speed IVs (which is very unlikely, but I am accounting for the worst case scenario here) (but have 252 speed EVs and do NOT have a speed lowering nature) you will still be able to outspeed it (assuming the Giratina has the same base stats as a normal one and is actually lv 35, if it is higher level, then you would need a speed boosting nature and or more than 0 in your speed IV). But a Golbat will be slower, and will get outsped. If your Golbat already outspeeds the Giratina then just ignore this part...

If you can outspeed it and try to make something work with that, Maybe try for a lucky poison with poison fang, since poison does work against them and does damage shields, also poison fang badly poisons, so it will actually die pretty fast.

If you allow yourself to use items, then you can just try and spam healing items/revives while it dies to poison. If you ban items, then you are likely going to need to find the tankyist flying type you can, catch 5 of them, and train them all in special defense, and hp. Then just try to have them hold out against the giratina, until it dies from poison. Of course, having 5 of one mon might make it hard to beat Geara...

image for online real lol.PNG

Thanks for all the advice!

I did end up evolving my golbat and the poison did the trick. Also managed to get a confuse ray off so that was helpful. The fight afterwards was easy, it was just getting to it that was hard.
Also realizing now that it probably would be a good idea to grind at least speed EVs off of wild mons so I'll probably end up doing that. It's a shame that the EV training rooms are locked until later on, I despise grinding.

12 hours ago, Ram Cxz 007 said:

what the heck is wrong with giratina .i think you should lower its defense by some way i did a mono flying run in v12 so actually dont remember what changed

If you're wondering, it's because V13 is completely different from V12. The Geara fight has been completely reworked, and now you have to do a raid battle against giratina before you fight Geara. The reason giratina looks weird is because I unluckily (or luckily? idk) encountered a shiny one. 

Once again, thank you all for the helpful advice. Have a good Thanksgiving (if you're American lol)!

2 hours ago, IceBreaker said:

Thanks for all the advice!

I did end up evolving my golbat and the poison did the trick. Also managed to get a confuse ray off so that was helpful. The fight afterwards was easy, it was just getting to it that was hard.
Also realizing now that it probably would be a good idea to grind at least speed EVs off of wild mons so I'll probably end up doing that. It's a shame that the EV training rooms are locked until later on, I despise grinding.

If you're wondering, it's because V13 is completely different from V12. The Geara fight has been completely reworked, and now you have to do a raid battle against giratina before you fight Geara. The reason giratina looks weird is because I unluckily (or luckily? idk) encountered a shiny one. 

Once again, thank you all for the helpful advice. Have a good Thanksgiving (if you're American lol)!

I think they (the EV rooms) are available right away if you update the game. You would need to grind for the cards still. But yeah, getting speed EV's early is really important. You will be bale to get the resetting berries soon also, so you can EV train your team properly. It is very helpful and definitely something you want to do in a mono-type run.