Very harsh critique for Intense mode (13.02, Set/No Items) [Spoilers]

Cyphre

2 minutes ago, AceTrainerDevin said:

yes we have not fought melia on a field built for her before would be cool if that eventually happened though unless you are refering to fairy tale field but i doubt you are since that field has existed way before that melia fight and is just one of the fields rejuv took from reborn

Would be more correct to say her team in chapter 15 is built to function the best on the Fairy Tale field, this is what i meant (where is her Zoroark i wonder). Sorry if my wording add confusion sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, Cyphre said:

Would be more correct to say her team in chapter 15 is built to function the best on the Fairy Tale field, this is what i meant (where is her Zoroark i wonder).

Zoroark has been replaced on the team this wasnt done specifically for this fight since melia has not used zoroark since getting kidnapped by amanda this also is the case in normal mode

2 minutes ago, AceTrainerDevin said:

Zoroark has been replaced on the team this wasnt done specifically for this fight since melia has not used zoroark since getting kidnapped by amanda this also is the case in normal mode

I might not remember it correctly, but didnt she use Zoroark on top of the Pyramid in a double battle with Aelita? 

2 minutes ago, Cyphre said:

I might not remember it correctly, but didnt she use Zoroark on top of the Pyramid in a double battle with Aelita? 

she did not her team was mimikyu togekiss snorlax aegislash gardevoir and hydreigon in normal mode and in intense mode its mimikyu togekiss Hydreigon aegislash gardevoir and yanmega

7 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Ah yes, that very slow extremely powerful boosted by a seed Shadow Sneak from Aegislash with precognition about when to use King's Shield and when not to. Understandable. 

I agree with Fairy, but this "majority" of dragons consist only of Hydreigon if i remember correctly. And as i stated, i used powered up Bullet Punches against Fairy types in the end. 

My assumption is based on the fact that Intense, combined with enemy teams hand-tailored to abuse every single field, forces players to spend an extraordinary amounts of time to specifically breed and train complete counters to the teams, at times up to 5-6 members for every fight. Which is far beyond of what should be expected from a player, as one should not spend dozens of hours for a single fight because it left only a couple of tiny strategies to abuse. 

Then you clearly didn't fight Geara on his field, since Spiritomb in the end, by the graces of onmiscient AI, will not be defeated by any ghost type ever. As i very clearly stated in my post, it is the combination of Spiritomb Crest and the power of the Haunted Field, along with it's lack of counters to it, as well as an AI that makes decisions after you pick a move, that makes it a badly designed encounter. 

And i think it's fair to have a pokemon game, a game all about individual teambuilding options and expressing yourself through your team, be open to more options for defeating a challenging fight than just building a direct counter team for every major fight. The problem with Intense is not how inherently hard it is, it is how restricting it is in it's approach because of the Fields. 

I believe in this case i represent the majority of Intense players, who want to have a considerable, however fair challenge, that also respect your time and strategic prowess, not your patience. 

I'm not going to act like this completely delegitimizes your complaints, but if mono psychic can beat Geara, then I really think you do not need crazy specific counters for every mon. You can still use mons that you want, you just have to really look into the options available for each one. Is ch15 intense quite difficult? Yes, but just stating that over and over again in different ways doesn't mean it is unfair

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moto said:

I'm not going to act like this completely delegitimizes your complaints, but if mono psychic can beat Geara, then I really think you do not need crazy specific counters for every mon. You can still use mons that you want, you just have to really look into the options available for each one. Is ch15 intense quite difficult? Yes, but just stating that over and over again in different ways doesn't mean it is unfair

I am still amazed by the amount of people that keep repeating the exact same thing over in over in different ways without trying to understand what im saying, as you showed in your video here: that you can abuse the field. Yes, i am aware, yes, i won myself abusing it and didnt enjoy it one bit. If Hypnosis spam with everything is your thing - go for it, its a valid way to play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cyphre said:

I am still amazed by the amount of people that keep repeating the exact same thing over in over in different ways without trying to understand what im saying, as you showed in your video here: that you can abuse the field. Yes, i am aware, yes, i won myself abusing it and didnt enjoy it one bit. If Hypnosis spam with everything is your thing - go for it, its a valid way to play. 

So if the field is able to be "abused" by the player as well, and you don't need crazy specific counters for each mon, what is the problem with the battle?

Just now, Moto said:

So if the field is able to be "abused" by the player as well, and you don't need crazy specific counters for each mon, what is the problem with the battle?

I answered that today around 20 times today, in this topic, no less. Im super tired of answering this, entire topic is about this. 

• Hmm 1

22 minutes ago, Cyphre said:

I answered that today around 20 times today, in this topic, no less. Im super tired of answering this, entire topic is about this. 

The only other complaint I see anywhere from you is the fact that you can't just easily change every field in the game anymore.

The reason why there aren't a million easy ways to change every field is simple: it is absolutely impossible to build battles around that. Battles are balanced for the default field of the battle, and trying to make them work on every possible field is just not at all feasible. Changing the field in most battles completely ruins the enemy trainer's team, like making it sky field vs Amber for example. This is why terrain moves were nerfed to no longer completely change the field. 

There just cannot be a crazy interlocking system for every field in the game, the player could just make it underwater field in every battle and completely roll over everything.

I do not understand your aversion to utilizing the default field for yourself instead of trying to change it, but that certainly seems to be the crux of your issue with the game, and I don't think the devs just blanket nerfing Intense mode is going to fix that for you, and I definitely do not think it means there is a design issue with the game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Man no one is gonna talk about Saki having 2 megas (one of them a fu**ing metagross) and the megas also having items on them? I like the game being very difficuld, I was expecting a mega metagross but I think that bypassing and ignoring the rules of the game isn't the way man if they are gonna do that is ok but let us play in the same conditions

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MasterBeeble said:

While that is indeed a Psychic monotype team, it's also equally clearly a specifically designed counterteam.  So yes, "crazy specific counters" are indeed required on Intense mode, at least for the more challenging fights.  From a game design perspective, this changes the framework of any given battle from in-the-moment adaptation with your immediate into a resource gathering exercise.  Instead of thinking, "how can my current team beat this?", Intense mode encourages you to instead wonder, "what encounters are available to me that could help me overcome this hurdle?", because in many cases, any random, static team of 6 mons will often have literally 0 potential routes to victory against some of the game's tougher bosses.  The team I used to beat Amber couldn't possibly beat the whale, no matter the movesets or EV spreads.  

From a purely conceptual standpoint, I don't have a problem with this at all.  It challenges not only a player's broader knowledge of the game - learnsets, Pokemon availability, breeding - but also their ability to identify what key elements are required to search for such that the new pokemon will provide a significant improvement in their winning chances.  However, the execution of the player's solution will basically always look something like this: 1.) think of solution Pokemon, 2.) find/catch it, 3.) breed it, and 4.) EV train it appropriately, probably with the help of a damage calculator. 

The fundamental issue with Rejuvenation's design is simply this: those four steps take EGREGIOUS amounts of time.  Speeding up the game by a couple times barely mitigates this, since when you need to optimize an entire team for a single fight, and then do that for 50 fights over the course of a playthrough, that's potentially upwards of 300 Pokemon you're developing from scratch.  Realistically it's much less, of course, since you'd expect a decent Pokemon to serve you multiple times over a run, but I nonetheless filled over an entire box of mons over the course of my playthrough - a process that would have wasted hundreds of my real-life hours to achieve, and something Pokemon Showdown would enable me to do in mere minutes.  

From a development standpoint, the solution to this problem is relatively simple: make EV/IV training accessible, make it available from the very beginning of the game, and make it so that I don't have to waste my time on something that would be trivial for me to achieve if I had both an elementary knowledge of game mechanics and the time to waste on them.  The systems employed in the main line games for EV and IV moderation (repeated battling and breeding, respectively) neither work nor make sense in the context of a challenge like Rejuvenation V13's Intense mode.  In fact, I think Intense is best enjoyed when you simply use Debug mode for exactly that: instantly modifying your mons in a way that doesn't change what you can fundamentally do, but cuts hours of work into seconds.

No one capable of beating even the regular difficulty is ignorant of EV mechanics.  Forcing people to battle hundreds of wild mons, dozens of times over the course of a playthrough, is unnecessary and ridiculous.  An in-game menu should be implemented such to allow Intense mode players to instantly modify IVs, EVs, and nature, and it should be available from the very beginning of the game.  The decision to shift the EV training rooms (which while better than nothing, are still unreasonably slow) even further back in the game, speaks to me of the dev's complete lack of respect for their player's time - or at least, it's strange for them to insist on such archaic main line game mechanics when it inconveniences the player, while at the same time being perfectly willing to give Ryden's Nidoqueen 1500 EVs.  I can almost feel the spit on my face.

Basically, I would encourage everyone to play Intense mode with the debug menu.  It doesn't lower the actual difficulty (unless you're giving yourself Arceus or something, which is entirely removed from the context I'm discussing), and you'll have more life to live for it.  

I think this sums it up perfectly.

I have always played on intense mode and actually like having a box of pokemon to choose for each major battle, however the amount of time required is indeed absurd. 13.03 made it a (bit) better, but having easier IV and EV manipulation without having to use debug mode would be perfect (also natures, now it's way better with mints but god knows how much time I wasted catching synchronize natus or else I'd need to wait until GDC) 

3 hours ago, MasterBeeble said:

While that is indeed a Psychic monotype team, it's also equally clearly a specifically designed counterteam.  So yes, "crazy specific counters" are indeed required on Intense mode, at least for the more challenging fights.  From a game design perspective, this changes the framework of any given battle from in-the-moment adaptation with your immediate into a resource gathering exercise.  Instead of thinking, "how can my current team beat this?", Intense mode encourages you to instead wonder, "what encounters are available to me that could help me overcome this hurdle?", because in many cases, any random, static team of 6 mons will often have literally 0 potential routes to victory against some of the game's tougher bosses.  The team I used to beat Amber couldn't possibly beat the whale, no matter the movesets or EV spreads.  

From a purely conceptual standpoint, I don't have a problem with this at all.  It challenges not only a player's broader knowledge of the game - learnsets, Pokemon availability, breeding - but also their ability to identify what key elements are required to search for such that the new pokemon will provide a significant improvement in their winning chances.  However, the execution of the player's solution will basically always look something like this: 1.) think of solution Pokemon, 2.) find/catch it, 3.) breed it, and 4.) EV train it appropriately, probably with the help of a damage calculator. 

The fundamental issue with Rejuvenation's design is simply this: those four steps take EGREGIOUS amounts of time.  Speeding up the game by a couple times barely mitigates this, since when you need to optimize an entire team for a single fight, and then do that for 50 fights over the course of a playthrough, that's potentially upwards of 300 Pokemon you're developing from scratch.  Realistically it's much less, of course, since you'd expect a decent Pokemon to serve you multiple times over a run, but I nonetheless filled over an entire box of mons over the course of my playthrough - a process that would have wasted hundreds of my real-life hours to achieve, and something Pokemon Showdown would enable me to do in mere minutes.  

From a development standpoint, the solution to this problem is relatively simple: make EV/IV training accessible, make it available from the very beginning of the game, and make it so that I don't have to waste my time on something that would be trivial for me to achieve if I had both an elementary knowledge of game mechanics and the time to waste on them.  The systems employed in the main line games for EV and IV moderation (repeated battling and breeding, respectively) neither work nor make sense in the context of a challenge like Rejuvenation V13's Intense mode.  In fact, I think Intense is best enjoyed when you simply use Debug mode for exactly that: instantly modifying your mons in a way that doesn't change what you can fundamentally do, but cuts hours of work into seconds.

No one capable of beating even the regular difficulty is ignorant of EV mechanics.  Forcing people to battle hundreds of wild mons, dozens of times over the course of a playthrough, is unnecessary and ridiculous.  An in-game menu should be implemented such to allow Intense mode players to instantly modify IVs, EVs, and nature, and it should be available from the very beginning of the game.  The decision to shift the EV training rooms (which while better than nothing, are still unreasonably slow) even further back in the game, speaks to me of the dev's complete lack of respect for their player's time - or at least, it's strange for them to insist on such archaic main line game mechanics when it inconveniences the player, while at the same time being perfectly willing to give Ryden's Nidoqueen 1500 EVs.  I can almost feel the spit on my face.

Basically, I would encourage everyone to play Intense mode with the debug menu.  It doesn't lower the actual difficulty (unless you're giving yourself Arceus or something, which is entirely removed from the context I'm discussing), and you'll have more life to live for it.  

Aight, so reading through this and I can't help but think that there is one key point being ignored or just isn't considered

The "canon" way to play Rejuv is on Normal mode. If you want an easier time or you want a bit more of a challenge then you have Casual and Intense mode, respectively. Or to put it simply, casual and intense mode are extra features. I think it's a bit unfair to expect the devs to develop this game around the needs of Intense (or Casual) mode. Sure, QoL are always nice and I believe they are steadily added into Rejuv as more are thought up and suggested (obviously, not all suggestions are taken into account. Some are too low priority or a bit unreasonable). But at the end of the day, the main focus of dev isn't looking at things from the perspective of "how is intense".

Now, just playing JRPGs in general, I'm personally not a fan of grinding to reach a specific end result (i.e. getting a specific character to specific level with specific attacks/abilities). So I can definitely empathize with what you're saying. But from what I'm understanding: a lot of the critique in your post looks like "intense mode should allow access to a formalized version of pokemon editing to save from the mindless grind". And I think the easiest solution to that is: just turn on debug and use that. It's a one line change to enable/disable it and should allow you to breeze through any of the mindless grinding.

I can't guarantee what future releases may add into the game. But to expect that specific features would be added for a certain mode only might be expecting too much as, once again, the game is developed and planned around Normal mode

1 hour ago, Sardines said:

Aight, so reading through this and I can't help but think that there is one key point being ignored or just isn't considered

The "canon" way to play Rejuv is on Normal mode. If you want an easier time or you want a bit more of a challenge then you have Casual and Intense mode, respectively. Or to put it simply, casual and intense mode are extra features. I think it's a bit unfair to expect the devs to develop this game around the needs of Intense (or Casual) mode. Sure, QoL are always nice and I believe they are steadily added into Rejuv as more are thought up and suggested (obviously, not all suggestions are taken into account. Some are too low priority or a bit unreasonable). But at the end of the day, the main focus of dev isn't looking at things from the perspective of "how is intense".

Now, just playing JRPGs in general, I'm personally not a fan of grinding to reach a specific end result (i.e. getting a specific character to specific level with specific attacks/abilities). So I can definitely empathize with what you're saying. But from what I'm understanding: a lot of the critique in your post looks like "intense mode should allow access to a formalized version of pokemon editing to save from the mindless grind". And I think the easiest solution to that is: just turn on debug and use that. It's a one line change to enable/disable it and should allow you to breeze through any of the mindless grinding.

I can't guarantee what future releases may add into the game. But to expect that specific features would be added for a certain mode only might be expecting too much as, once again, the game is developed and planned around Normal mode

I think the overall point tho is that having to use debug for intense is ridiculous in itself lol. Intense mode basically requires us to cheat mons (or spend a million hours breeding/training/searching like my guy said) every single time theres a new boss battle, and it should never be that deep. Im not opposed to having to find and train up new mons, it does indeed test the aptitude of the player, but these battles are so heavily affected by field effects, rng, and literally mons with 252 EVS in every stat, counter teaming is basically required. Earlier versions of Intense mode for rejuv werent as demanding (in the sense that you could win without having to rely on debug or counter team) and there were always helpful mons in the area pertaining to that gym leader or situation.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Milotic said:

I think the overall point tho is that having to use debug for intense is ridiculous in itself lol. Intense mode basically requires us to cheat mons (or spend a million hours breeding/training/searching like my guy said) every single time theres a new boss battle, and it should never be that deep. Im not opposed to having to find and train up new mons, it does indeed test the aptitude of the player, but these battles are so heavily effected by field effects, rng, and literally mons with 252 EVS in every stat, counter teaming is basically required. Earlier versions of Intense mode for rejuv werent as demanidng (in the sense that you could win without having to rely on debug or counter team) and there were always helpful mons in the area pertaining to that gym leader or situation.

In that case, go play Normal mode. There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to spend all that time grinding and you're opposed to using debug, then I'm not sure what else can be done. Intense was literally made to be stupid hard (because they relied on field effects before as well, and had high EVs etc). And now with much better AI, it is doing a good job of being stupid hard

• Haha 2

Grinding is tedium, not difficulty. The argument as it stands is that: if you're going to require well-optimized movesets with perfect or near perfect IV bred Pokemon who are EV trained and have beneficial as opposed to neutral natures in order to win, then you should make it relatively simple for the player to acquire those things. If you want players to constantly be adding and rotating Pokemon to their teams, then you should make it relatively simple for them to train them up to the levels of the rest of your team. Requiring those things without providing the means to get them easily doesn't make the game harder, it only makes it take more time to beat and forces players to spend time on unproductive things

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, triplebassist said:

Grinding is tedium, not difficulty. The argument as it stands is that: if you're going to require well-optimized movesets with perfect or near perfect IV bred Pokemon who are EV trained and have beneficial as opposed to neutral natures in order to win, then you should make it relatively simple for the player to acquire those things. If you want players to constantly be adding and rotating Pokemon to their teams, then you should make it relatively simple for them to train them up to the levels of the rest of your team. Requiring those things without providing the means to get them easily doesn't make the game harder, it only makes it take more time to beat and forces players to spend time on unproductive things

Nobody is saying grinding is difficulty. And fine, lets disregard any QoL feature like exp candies, ev rooms, etc. You still have Debug to use

• 2 months later...

Little late to the party but wanted to give my thoughts on this even if jan already made a post

I've read the OP and some posts within the thread and I come more in agreeance with the thought of intense is supposed to be a challenge and not something you're supposed to be able to easily run through without changing your team at all as if you're one monning pearl version with ur infernape using x items (also considering theres only so many fights per versions that are LITERALLY years in the making its fair that you have to take some time to deal with some of them). I think intense is a perfect way to experience the game because you go through so many hours of side quests to obtain better pokemon just for them to sit in your PC on normal. But on intense you've bashed your head into a fight for 20-30some minutes and come to the realization that maybe its beatable with good rng but intense mode in itself makes relying on rng alot harder which is one of my main gripes with it tbh, but then you go back to your box and think maybe I can use (X) pokemon over (X) and that will help me fill in this gap in my team I have against this boss, because lets be honest if you're making a well balanced team and have already played rejuv or reborn before you should not be having unbelievably frustrating issues where you're having to swap out half your mons until maybe Mt. Valor

One example the OP pointed out in a sub post is the wailord boss in the goomy sidequest, sure the wailord seems daunting until you realize he cannot switch out so send out fodder mons with attack reducing moves and then send out reuniclus or milotic or any bulky mon with recovery thats not weak to ice and they easily 1v1 the wailord(bar getting crit!), so yes the fight makes you think and have to workaround its mechanics a little but I do not see this as problematic at all for a game mode meant to challenge your skill in the game. To me theres a much more problematic boss in that sidequest which is against Big Betty, to my current experience in order to win this fight Big Betty has to miss Wisp 1-2 times in order for you to win, sounds like its not that much of a challenge? and it isn't. Except Accuracy for opponents is just buffed for some reason on intense mode so you're just sitting infront of big betty for 30 minutes waiting for her to miss a fucking wilo wisp thats 95% accurate. Theres another big offender of this in my experience aswell which is fighting Morty in the Virtual Gyms sidequest picking fire starter, Both of these fights you can't change your team at all so you're just sitting infront of the screen pulling a slot machine damn near just waiting for it to hit jackpot. Neither of these fights were designed to challenge the players intelligence, teambuilding or anything, they were designed to waste your time which doesn't feel accomplishing when you're finally finished, just feel relieved.

You might think maybe they should avoid giving you preset teams? Absolutely not because there are phenomenally good fights in this v13 alone that are great. Both Erins and Melias mission teams had GREAT boss fights at the end, and as the post described that "it doesnt feel like you're putting together a puzzle" the bosses in those two arcs really did feel like that, especially Erins, trying different leads, limit testing your mons, testing the see what the AI does in what scenarios, then finally finding the perfect two leads (A-Ampharos is a beast). At the time of doing Erins fight I legit thought it was impossible in my first 5 attempts and it gradually became more and more clear what the win condition was until I won, and thats why people love intense mode, that consistent feeling in boss fights of being faced with an obstacle you need to strategize to overcome and once you overcome that obstacle guess what theres a new one that sweeps your team because you thought the last one was the biggest problem, and then you figure out how to overcome that obstacle with your resources and repeat repeat repeat repeat until you've finally won, truly the best feeling.

Now on the other hand, I agree with the field effects point. I disagree with the point that field effects somehow take away from the experience, because I think field effects are what make these games so interesting and pokemon-like as they make you think much of the anime (pikachu using the fire alarms to cover the onix with water to conduct electricity onto him). However I will agree with you that sometimes it feels a little TOO unfair how much the field effect limits you and you cannot change it, my goal would be to just have more field effects interact and change with eachother (HAUNTED AND BLESSED FIELDS ONLY INTERACTING WITH EACHOTHER) having a fight where the field effect is constantly changing and you're constantly having to adapt each turn to what the field will probably be next turn or two turns from now and adjusting your strategy accordingly just sounds like a cool idea and I don't see why they wouldn't want that over just "here you play on inverse field have fun".

Another point I wana say something on is early game EV training, at the very least in intense mode, the hospital of hope lady should just be a permanent thing you get at the start of the game lol, I know its an RPG and all, but we already have the speedup button and EV training room locked behind AP early on, just let us spend our poke dollars to save an hour off our life running around trying to find zigzagoon so my marshtomp outspeeds whatever it is I'm trying to outspeed, those pokedollars arent going to potions anyway due to item restrict I don't think anyone would complain since pokedollars are actually kindof scarce early game so its not like you'd just be able to fill ur pc with a box of fully ev'd and iv'd mons, kindof balances it out and adds some decision making factor to it on which mon needs the evs and ivs more and which stats do I even need to be fully invested in for the upcoming fights.

Main takeaways: AI having accuracy boost is probably the dumbest and most frustrating thing about intense mode and you cannot convince me otherwise, I would like to see field effects interact with eachother more, EV/IV injector for pokedollar lady needs to be in the game atleast earlier if not at the start of intense

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, Seth Ruse said:

AI having accuracy boost is probably the dumbest and most frustrating thing about intense mode and you cannot convince me otherwise,

Does anyone know what the accuracy boost is? I've noticed that many gym leader's leads don't seem to ever miss (i.e. Adam's Archeops Head Smash and Saki's Hustle Durant). 

Also, do opponent's damage rolls on Intense get an extra boost? I've been using the showdown damage calculator and the EV/natures listed on the wiki but the AI seems to always do a little extra damage. 

IIRC it was 20% accuracy boost and 10-20% for damage. I vaguely remember it being nerfed slightly, but this was a while ago and my mind might be playing tricks on me. 

Also there is a possibility you didnt include some of the field effects into account, that can be a thing too. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2021 at 10:35 AM, Seth Ruse said:

To me theres a much more problematic boss in that sidequest which is against Big Betty, to my current experience in order to win this fight Big Betty has to miss Wisp 1-2 times in order for you to win, sounds like its not that much of a challenge? and it isn't. Except Accuracy for opponents is just buffed for some reason on intense mode so you're just sitting infront of big betty for 30 minutes waiting for her to miss a fucking wilo wisp thats 95% accurate.

I'm stuck rn at big betty fight and i feel relieved for knowing that its possible

• Like 1