• Flying
    • Poison
    • Fighting
    • Ground
    • Steel
    • Dark
    • Fairy
    • Ghost

Hey all I am thinking of doing a mono-type run. This is my first ever mono type run so I am going to do this in normal difficulty. So I would like u guys to pick one type for me.

I will be picking usual starters so the types here will be of the types of the fully evolved starters.

Heya I suggest you do something with a lot of pokemon variety like water,poison,grass and normal because you will use have a lot of pokemon to choose from and types with many mons are easier to complete.

Also dont take types with limited mons like fairy, steel, ghost and a few others I cant remember on the top of my mind.

Edited by Vum

I would definitely recommend taking a look at this guide to help choose a monotype for the run, as well as to let you know what's available in each chapter. 

I'd also agree with Vum. Some of the types have very little available in the early chapters (e.g ghost, steel) which will make them a bit of a nightmare, so for your first run I'd recommend picking something like normal, grass, water etc. The guide will help a lot!

Good luck with the run!

5 hours ago, Glint said:

I would definitely recommend taking a look at this guide to help choose a monotype for the run, as well as to let you know what's available in each chapter. 

I'd also agree with Vum. Some of the types have very little available in the early chapters (e.g ghost, steel) which will make them a bit of a nightmare, so for your first run I'd recommend picking something like normal, grass, water etc. The guide will help a lot!

Good luck with the run!

7 hours ago, Vum said:

Heya I suggest you do something with a lot of pokemon variety like water,poison,grass and normal because you will use have a lot of pokemon to choose from and types with many mons are easier to complete.

Also dont take types with limited mons like fairy, steel, ghost and a few others I cant remember on the top of my mind.

Thanks for ur suggestions guys but since I put up this post i took it as a challenge to choose the type which gets the most votes by tomorrow, lets see what it is😉

I see Fairy is in the lead, but that's honestly a rather hard challenge. You only have one option at the beginning, Popplio. You can only get other Fairy types after your first Gym Badge, and all of those are not the best. 

Poison is number 2 in the poll, and almost all of the Poison types are available in the early and mid game. You'll struggle against Steel types(and Ground and Psychic types in the beginning), but you'll get decent options to deal with them later on. 

Whatever type wins, a good strategy for monotypes is to take advantage of TMs and egg moves. TMs like Hidden Power and Nature Power can teach a Pokémon a valuable coverage move, and some Pokémon learn great egg moves to further diversify their movepool. Also, try to use the EV training rooms at the laboratory as soon as possible to gain advantage against early opponents. 

Good luck with your monotype! 

I've only attempted 1 monotype run in the past, which used Flying types. It went alright, there are a good spread of decent flying Pokémon early on and Oricorrio brought some decent type variety but unfortunately I wiped to Valerie due to poor planning. I'd say that poison types are probably the best option since there are some good ones you can get in the early and mid game and you only really need to worry about being weak to later gyms which helps as you will have access to a wider pool of Pokémon (for example if you go fairy, you're technically weak to the first gym and only really have a poplio to deal with it). Like Nocturne said, hidden power and nature power are way more useful than in a normal run because they give your team a wider variety of move types. If you're the kind of person that wants to calc Hidden Power types, keep in mind that this game multiplies by 16 instead of 15 in the bulbapedia formula due to the fact that they added fairy to the list, making there 16 different type options.

13 hours ago, Nocturne93 said:

I see Fairy is in the lead, but that's honestly a rather hard challenge. You only have one option at the beginning, Popplio. You can only get other Fairy types after your first Gym Badge, and all of those are not the best. 

Poison is number 2 in the poll, and almost all of the Poison types are available in the early and mid game. You'll struggle against Steel types(and Ground and Psychic types in the beginning), but you'll get decent options to deal with them later on. 

Whatever type wins, a good strategy for monotypes is to take advantage of TMs and egg moves. TMs like Hidden Power and Nature Power can teach a Pokémon a valuable coverage move, and some Pokémon learn great egg moves to further diversify their movepool. Also, try to use the EV training rooms at the laboratory as soon as possible to gain advantage against early opponents. 

Good luck with your monotype! 

10 hours ago, Kriecht said:

I've only attempted 1 monotype run in the past, which used Flying types. It went alright, there are a good spread of decent flying Pokémon early on and Oricorrio brought some decent type variety but unfortunately I wiped to Valerie due to poor planning. I'd say that poison types are probably the best option since there are some good ones you can get in the early and mid game and you only really need to worry about being weak to later gyms which helps as you will have access to a wider pool of Pokémon (for example if you go fairy, you're technically weak to the first gym and only really have a poplio to deal with it). Like Nocturne said, hidden power and nature power are way more useful than in a normal run because they give your team a wider variety of move types. If you're the kind of person that wants to calc Hidden Power types, keep in mind that this game multiplies by 16 instead of 15 in the bulbapedia formula due to the fact that they added fairy to the list, making there 16 different type options.

thanks for the suggestion, looks like poison overtook fairy, which is good for me😇. Hope this will be good run, and i was thinking of just updating the details of my run here, i think that would be interesting, do u guys have any suggestions about that? And again thanks for voting and giving me good suggestions.

Thanks guys for taking ur time to vote, here are the results and the voting ends here. So I got poison so bulbasaur will be my starter. I was thinking about uploading the details of my run here but i dont know whether its a good idea or not, any suggestion on that matter will be really helpful😇.

Again thanks everyone and wish me luck on this run😉

Capture.PNG