Playing for the first time. When can I start mining rocks?

Hydreigonawesome

Honestly getting real tired of the fact that there are only two heart scales available to be found up through chapter 4.  My Talonflame is stuck with an absolute ass moveset going into the Geara fight.  I'm hoping there's something I missed and I can get the mining kit.  Otherwise RIP me I guess.

57 minutes ago, Hydreigonawesome said:

Honestly getting real tired of the fact that there are only two heart scales available to be found up through chapter 4.  My Talonflame is stuck with an absolute ass moveset going into the Geara fight.  I'm hoping there's something I missed and I can get the mining kit.  Otherwise RIP me I guess.

Hey there,

you get the mining kit some days after reaching Akuwa Town.

Sorry I can't deliver better news

1 hour ago, Hydreigonawesome said:

You get the Mining Kit after beating the Ghost Gym leader and going to the next town. Just follow the main story. Don't think it can be missed.

You may already be past this point in the game, but for future reference the best way to get heart scales is by fishing for Luvdisc. You can fish for them in Akuwa Town and a lot of time they are holding a heart scale. 

2 hours ago, Xtrack said:

You may already be past this point in the game, but for future reference the best way to get heart scales is by fishing for Luvdisc. You can fish for them in Akuwa Town and a lot of time they are holding a heart scale. 

That's how I always gather my heart scales, becomes even easier if you use a Galvanthula / Butterfree with compound eyes and thief.