The Rejuv Boys(Main team for Pokemon Rejuvenation. Looking for reviews)

tguy4001

So I'm playing through Pokemon Rejuvenation for the first time on Normal Difficulty, and while it is pretty difficult so far, it's nothing that I can't go through with only 6 pokemon(I remember hearing that people may need to cycle through more than 6 depending on the situation, but that really isn't something I like doing). Just so I can do this, I thought I'd try and post my team here and see if it looks good.

Blaziken @ Blazikenite(are Mega Rings/Stones even a thing yet? I'm honestly not sure)
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SpA / 80 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower/Sky Uppercut
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Main role: Fast physical sweeper. Use protect turn 1 to get the first speed boost, and sweep almost every other 'mon.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Hp
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
Main role: Fast special sweeper. Offers a lot of STAB coverage due to Protean, and combined with how fast it is, Greninja has super-effective STAB coverage on 654/1034 pokemon in gens 1-8. Obviously the gen 8 mons aren't in the game, but that does paint a good picture on how much coverage Greninja gives.

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Hp / 6 SpDef
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
Main role: Somewhat of a wall that can also retaliate just as hard as it's hit. It's pretty much never going first(except in the case of Trick Room, of course), but it's very likely it will live whatever attack is sent out at it. Additionally, Mamoswine is going to be the main item taker for enemy mons, so they don't get the benefit of their items.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Impish Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind(egg move w/ pidgey line)
-Steel Wing
-Drill Peck
Main role: First mon out on the field, and the team's stealth rock user. Sports whirlwind as well to abuse Stealth Rock, should it be needed. Also has Steel Wing and Drill peck for type coverage with those moves

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Giga Drain
- Psycho Shock
- Hidden Power [Rock]
Main role: Not really sure, if I say so myself. Trick Room is going to help a lot with the slower mons on the team, so they can get to move first(cough cough Mamoswine cough cough), so coupled with it's attacking moves, it would be somewhat of a supporting attacker?

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 6 Def
Calm Nature
- Venoshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Protect
Main role: Stall, stall, stall, and stall. The strat here is simple: Do toxic turn 1, protect turn 2, then switch off between Venoshock/Dragon Pulse and Protect until the enemy mon is dead. If it can't be poisoned, then either switch out or go for STAB moves. With this strat, neither me nor my opponent gets to play the game!

I do already know that this team does have some weaknesses(for example, not a lot of coverage for electric types + isn't able to effectively revenge kill), but I'm not sure how to combat this, since I'm not exactly a competitive team builder, but I do know from the team builder that no type is effective against more than 2 of my mons, and every single type has a super effective move against it(excluding dual types. Didn't exactly calculate that).

Right now, the only 2 I'm missing are Skarmory and Greninja, and I'm not totally sure when to expect them. Nevertheless, how does this look in terms of getting through the game?

Well, speed boost blaziken is the strongest overal starter mon afaik so should be fine with that. You won't be able to get greninja though, because it's on of those starter mons that isn't obtainable other than as a starter yet, and you can only get skarmory at lvl85-90ish i think, so i'd start looking for 2 subs. I play on a harder difficulty so i'm not sure how easy it will be to sweep with only 6 mons (how far are you in atm?) as i need to swap my team around a bit for certain fights. Trick room TM isn't in the game yet either i think so unless you wanna run one of the few mons that learn it through lvl up i wouldn't go for that either.

In my experience, every mon with a def/sp.def stat of 60 or less gets oneshot at some point in the game unless it has enough (90+) hp stat or protect moves so a bit of beef in your team probably works wonders. Swampert comes to mind if you like starters and want electric coverage. Also; terrain altering moves make the game way more accessible as all gyms and special battles have terrain, movesets, items and weather stacked against you. Misty terrain is the most accessible, but electric and phychic terrain are also good in some niche cases.

Lastly there are a lot, and i mean a lot, of double battles in the game so having some attack synergies and combos among your mons can be really nice/fun to build around. I'm using a politoed with drizzle + surf and vaporeon with water absorb + muddy water for instance and i can switch out one of them for a toxicroak with dry skin for a similar effect and to cover weakness to grass.

So concluding; blaziken and mamoswine look very solid, and executor and dragalge look more like flavour picks that you might wanna tweak a bit or somewhat adjust your strat around a bit more. If you put in another steel mon instead of/untill you get skarmory you can teach sludgewave (which you'll be able to get halfway through iirc) more liberally for instance. But I'm sure you'll think of something you like.

Hey. Good team you have here. Since you asked for a review, here is what I will change if I were to play the exact same team.

Blaziken:

• Life Orb if you don't have Blazikenite
  • High Jump Kick all the way down.
  • Hidden Power Ice is pretty useless except against a Landorus or a Garchomp I guess.
  • I would remove every SpAtt EV and ditch them into Speed or maybe HP/Def.since you have Protect and run Bulk Up/Sword Dance or maybe Knock Off.

Greninja:

• I like the Expert Belt
  • I don't like Scald because I want Gren to K.O people instead of putting the HP line in red and hoping the burn will save me from the counterattack. So, Hydro Pump. Or Surf.
  • Hidden Power Electric only helps against Gyarados. Maybe Grass Knot?
  • I like to exploit Gren's physical movepool too with Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, Z-Dig, U-Turn. I don't know if every option is available so far.

Also, Speed Nature for both sweepers. You want them to outspeed your opponent no matter what.

Mamoswine: A good one but replace Rock Slide with Ice Shard. You will never use Rock Slide because Ice/Ground covers almost everything. A priority move will save you. I see he has speed issues.

Skarmory:

• Leftovers instead of Shell Bell.
  • Maybe Brave Bird instead of Drill Beck
  • Iron Head instead of Steel Wing

Exeggutor:

• Trick Room is ok but only Blaziken and Gren are K.O. Maybe an item that extend the duration of Trick Room would suit him.
  • Sleep Powder instead of HP Rock. Maybe Poison Powder for Dragalge.
  • Sunny Day/Solar Beam with Havrest maybe.
  • I'm really trying

Dragalge: That's one way to play it haha. You can give him more sweep moves such as Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave if you run him paired with Trick Room.

Blaziken

- speed nature, for example: jolly, to outspeed most Pkm

- Hi Jump Kick

- replace Hidden Power Ice because few Pkm have a 4x weakness to Ice, and even then, they're mostly protected by their respective field. I think you're better off with using Bulk Up for early game and then Swords Dance as soon as it will be available

Greninja

- speed nature, for example: timid, hasty or naive

- most water Pkm are bulky, so Grass Knot might be better or you could just slap U-Turn on it. Or, maybe, even a hazard move like Spike to break Focus Sash?

Mamoswine

- should be Adamant at the very least since you aren't using any special moves

- I don't think max HP is the way to go on an Assault Vest set since it already has lots of HP. Depending on what it should survive, try putting lots of EVs into its Special Defense

- Ice Shard is necessary to deal with weakened Pkm and especially because Mamoswine is so slow

The rest is fine, but you might consider using Brave Bird instead of Drill Peck on Skarmory for figher damage output. Also, if possible, get Roost on it. Sleep Powder on Exeggutor works as well.

Bro you don't need to stick to an specific team, i did not want to have extra members on my party, but there are times where u can have so excess exp, that swapping one pokemon for another doesn't really hurt. Also u can get the old exp share through an event involving melia's bedroom and the new one by gathering 35 ap points and purchasing it at chrysolia hotel, also u can only get skarmory before the fourteenth gymleader and then your pokemon should be around lvl 85 so that's not that helpfull, unless you cheat one in.

10 hours ago, DistantBliss said:

You won't be able to get greninja though, because it's on of those starter mons that isn't obtainable other than as a starter yet, and you can only get skarmory at lvl85-90ish i think, so i'd start looking for 2 subs.

Wait, really? I remember looking up this online and I remember seeing something about getting a random typed starter that depends on the typing of the starter you picked at the beginning of the game(which would be water types w/ Blaziken) somewhere in West Gearen, but if that's not a thing, then that'll need to be reworked. 

Thanks for the advice throughout the rest of the post though. I was considering attempting to replace Mamoswine with a different ground type with some debuff moves(since Greninja would cover Ice), but if I can't actually get Greninja without trading then I'll just ditch that idea.

Also to clarify for you, I am on the latter half of Chapter 6, having just beaten Ren. So it seems I'm not getting Skarmory for a while then.

7 hours ago, Des Teto said:

Blaziken:

• Hidden Power Ice is pretty useless except against a Landorus or a Garchomp I guess.
  • I would remove every SpAtt EV and ditch them into Speed or maybe HP/Def.since you have Protect and run Bulk Up/Sword Dance or maybe Knock Off.

Greninja:

• Hidden Power Electric only helps against Gyarados. Maybe Grass Knot?

Also, Speed Nature for both sweepers. You want them to outspeed your opponent no matter what.

Yeah, now that I've been thinking about it, the HPs were more for coverage sake than anything. For Blaziken, Mamoswine covers Ice, but since I apparently can't actually get Greninja by myself, I'll probably end up replacing him with Lantern(gets both Water and Electric on the team) or something. Not totally sure about that yet.

Mamoswine: A good one but replace Rock Slide with Ice Shard. You will never use Rock Slide because Ice/Ground covers almost everything. A priority move will save you. I see he has speed issues.

Yeah, I'll do that when I get the chance. I put it on there at first mostly for double battles so it can hit both mons. Lycanroc covers that right now and it is working well, but I'll see how double battles play out without Rock Slide. Priority moves would probably be good for revenge kills anyway.

Maybe an item that extend the duration of Trick Room would suit him.

Wait, is that actually a thing? I'd replace Sitrus Berries with that in a heartbeat if it actually existed, but I'm not sure if it does.

5 hours ago, BluePen said:

- replace Hidden Power Ice because few Pkm have a 4x weakness to Ice, and even then, they're mostly protected by their respective field. I think you're better off with using Bulk Up for early game and then Swords Dance as soon as it will be available

Yeah, this lines up with an earlier suggestion about HPs. Right now my moveset for Blaziken is Blaze Kick, Brick Break, HP Ice, and Bulk Up, so I'll have to get all my SpAtk EVs into Speed, then align the moveset from there(once I get TM Protect, that is. HP Ice works fine for right now imo mostly because there aren't a lot of other choices coverage-wise right now, but I'm obviously gonna change it up once I get Protect)

Blaziken

- speed nature, for example: jolly, to outspeed most Pkm

Greninja

- speed nature, for example: timid, hasty or naive

Welp, I might have to go on a breeding spree soon(or just change the nature via debug, but I don't like doing that if I can avoid it).

Mamoswine

- should be Adamant at the very least since you aren't using any special moves

- I don't think max HP is the way to go on an Assault Vest set since it already has lots of HP. Depending on what it should survive, try putting lots of EVs into its Special Defense

- Ice Shard is necessary to deal with weakened Pkm and especially because Mamoswine is so slow

The rest is fine, but you might consider using Brave Bird instead of Drill Peck on Skarmory for figher damage output. Also, if possible, get Roost on it. Sleep Powder on Exeggutor works as well.

I admit that I didn't really have many item options for Mamoswine I thought of at this point, so I thought I could just slap on an Assault Vest for free. I'm thinking now I could just put on Quick Claw just so the speed isn't as much of an issue anymore(esp combined with Ice Shard). The reason I'm not really trying to put more EVs into special defense is because Dragalgae already is the special defense wall of the team, and with Mamoswine's base HP, I don't think I actually need EVs in either defense stat. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: Just saw that Trick Room TM isn't actually in the game yet, so that idea is a bust. I do want to try keeping Exeggutor on the board though if possible, but if there isn't any other move I can really put on Exeggutor to replace it, then I'll probably throw out the mon and rework the team along with replacing Greninja + getting a sub for Skarmory

Edited by tguy4001

I'd recommend using Oranguru for Trick Room, since it's the only available mon, besides Porygon-Z, that learns it by level up. And Telepathy and Instruct can be really good for Doubles, paired with Mamoswine or Dragalge it would make for a good combination. You can catch it on Terajuma in the meadows where Orichorio can be found.

But afaik, the Amplifield Rock for extending the duration of Trick Room isn't available yet. You'd have to use the mining mod, which adds all kinds of Stone Items, to get that item.

But generally I'd say don't plan your teams too much in games like Rejuv or Reborn. In Gamefreak's main games and most other fan games everything was easily available, so planning was easy too. But in Rejuvenation every good ressource, be it pokemon, TMs or Hold items, are very late and often complicated to get, or still unavailable, so planning this out is too difficult for a first-time-player.

Just go with the flow of the game, and at most make simple plans, not so detailed ones.

14 hours ago, Edo said:

I'd recommend using Oranguru for Trick Room, since it's the only available mon, besides Porygon-Z, that learns it by level up. And Telepathy and Instruct can be really good for Doubles, paired with Mamoswine or Dragalge it would make for a good combination. You can catch it on Terajuma in the meadows where Orichorio can be found.

But afaik, the Amplifield Rock for extending the duration of Trick Room isn't available yet. You'd have to use the mining mod, which adds all kinds of Stone Items, to get that item.

But generally I'd say don't plan your teams too much in games like Rejuv or Reborn. In Gamefreak's main games and most other fan games everything was easily available, so planning was easy too. But in Rejuvenation every good ressource, be it pokemon, TMs or Hold items, are very late and often complicated to get, or still unavailable, so planning this out is too difficult for a first-time-player.

Just go with the flow of the game, and at most make simple plans, not so detailed ones.

What this guy says; Oranguru is good in that way and available when your team hits 35-40ish i think. However; i got Amplifield rock which does indeed extend the duration of trick room, but also things like misty terrain, from mining normally without any mods; so that one is definitely in the game (as of v12 at least). Might need to save/reload on one rock if you wanna get it early though. And lastly; you are indeed reliant on what the game gives you during the story and some items and TM will indeed not be available till very, very late (or not at all yet: looking at you ice beam in both reborn and rejuv). So yea, just use what comes your way and maybe you might even end up enjoying mons you previously didn't give a second glance.